Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Worgen Druid
Hello yet again!!!!

Firstly i would like to say your tips for my Ragnaros fight was right on the money, sadly we didnt start Hard Modes this week due to lackage of a MT =(.

But to the new question at hand!!...I've recently come across the Ragnaros trinket (not sure how to link gear sorry) Lightning Capacitor(lolspelling), my question is which trinkets you believe to be best atm..Currently im sitting on DMC: Volcano, the Vendor trinket for Avengers, and now the Ragnaros trinket.

From what i've read the general consensus is to go DMC V and Necrotic focus, or the Avengers trinket untill you get Necrotic. I've yet to test the availaible combo's myself so this is simply me asking your opinion, is gaining the reforged Haste from DMC: V and the rep trinket that much better than the Ragnaros one?

Again thank you for taking time out of your day to help a fellow Doomkin ^_^

DMC:V should be equipped no matter what. The question is what goes into your 2nd slot.

Also, the healer rep trinket, Fiery Quintessence is better than the rune of zeth.

Whether Variable Pulse Lightning Capacitor is going to beat Fiery Quintessence probably depends on where you are in relation to a haste breakpoint. Honestly, the absolute best way to answer this question is just plug yourself into wrathcalcs and see which one is better for your current setup.

Also, just for future reference, the way you link items is by using the little sword icon at the top of the text box. You just enter the item number, which can be found either on wowhead or the wowarmory item page (it's the number in link: http://www.wowhead.com/item=68925). Or you can type it out manually like so:
[item="XXXX" /] where you put the item number in place of the XXXX.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
So...apparently Euphoria is giving 25 solar energy and 32-34 lunar energy when you have 4p T12 now. Which is awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
08/26/2011 09:13 PMPosted by Tagartou
So...apparently Euphoria is giving 25 solar energy and 32-34 lunar energy when you have 4p T12 now. Which is awesome.

Aha... had to do some searching to see what you meant. You mean that starfire is giving a total of 50 and wrath is giving a total of 32-34, meaning that it's actually using the T12 energy values instead of a new + an old like it used to.

That's bomb.
Edited by Eluial on 8/27/2011 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Yeah, I meant 25 extra and 16-17 extra, but I was tired when I posted that and kinda changed my mind on how I was going to be saying it half-way through.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
edit : how about i update my addons then try /failness
Edited by Bloodtearz on 8/27/2011 5:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
OK so i updated and for some reason BPT is giving more energy going from solar to lunar like its calculating a euphoria proc when one doesnt go off.....

Kinda confusing me
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
OK so i updated and for some reason BPT is giving more energy going from solar to lunar like its calculating a euphoria proc when one doesnt go off.....

Kinda confusing me

http://themoonkinrepository.com/viewtopic.php?p=60786

It's because of the hotfix to how the 4pc works with euphoria.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
ahhh thank you (by advanced features im assuming predicted energy isnt one)

my only thing is the line i need to add that into i dont know where to find it, and im a little too tired to look for itlol

although i do use wordpad for mine too
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
ahhh thank you (by advanced features im assuming predicted energy isnt one)

my only thing is the line i need to add that into i dont know where to find it, and im a little too tired to look for itlol

although i do use wordpad for mine too

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If you haven't found it already, there's an updated version on wowinterface.com that works.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Dang Awesome read! I'm trying to gear up quickly! Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Excuse me..

Could you give me some advice on my gear and rotation?

I put up DoTs then use Starsurge and always Starfire until an eclipse, usually refreshing when IS and MF are at about 2 seconds remaining. Am I 'losing' a tick there?

Also my rotation can get screwed up at times because I am not Hit-Capped, what should I get?
(Didn't focus too much on gemming and enchanting my gear since I might replace certain things.)

wowreforge.com - load yourself up, set hit to exactly 1742 (at the bottom left of the page once you've loaded your character in) and hit optimize. Then reforge how it tells you to.

You're not losing a tick as long as you're refreshing with only 1 tick left. Any more than that and you will.

My advice on your gear is to gem and enchant it properly. You'll always be replacing gear - that's kind of the nature of the game. The point is to be the best you can be while you're obtaining that new gear.

Also, your meta gem is wrong.

I suggest you reread the gearing section in the sticky.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I've done my best to follow this guide's instructions and find it a useful tool for someone who is only about a month into raiding on a boomkin, but having no one in my guild with much experience at Balance spec to compare notes with I'm hoping I could get some helpful feedback from the people who frequent this forum.

I've put myself into wowreforge.com as suggested above and the current gemming/reforging/etc is what it gave me (minus the boot enchant which is something I'm testing). I'm in a position in our 10man where I tank on the 2 tank fights and boomkin otherwise, so I'm not expecting to top meters compared to the people that put all their Valor Points into their DPS gear and I'm splitting mine where I need to between two sets, but can anyone take a look at my gear and maybe give me a rough estimate of what DPS I should be doing give or a take? I know there are programs that spit out estimates based on your gear but I'd much rather have real people weigh in if I can get it.

I've provided a link to our recent logs for Firelands content.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l3jeeigxldpze38o/sum/damageDone/?s=6075&e=6317

I appreciate any feedback I can get.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I've done my best to follow this guide's instructions and find it a useful tool for someone who is only about a month into raiding on a boomkin, but having no one in my guild with much experience at Balance spec to compare notes with I'm hoping I could get some helpful feedback from the people who frequent this forum.

I've put myself into wowreforge.com as suggested above and the current gemming/reforging/etc is what it gave me (minus the boot enchant which is something I'm testing). I'm in a position in our 10man where I tank on the 2 tank fights and boomkin otherwise, so I'm not expecting to top meters compared to the people that put all their Valor Points into their DPS gear and I'm splitting mine where I need to between two sets, but can anyone take a look at my gear and maybe give me a rough estimate of what DPS I should be doing give or a take? I know there are programs that spit out estimates based on your gear but I'd much rather have real people weigh in if I can get it.

I've provided a link to our recent logs for Firelands content.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l3jeeigxldpze38o/sum/damageDone/?s=6075&e=6317

I appreciate any feedback I can get.

Your gear, spec, etc look fine. Definitely go with lavawalker on your boots. The runspeed is invaluable, and since you're likely not getting DI as an offspec moonkin when there's a spriest in the raid, you're not going to hit any more break points this tier.

I would say you're probably trying too hard to match your gems. It's probably not worth changing for your current gear, but for your upgrades, just put brilliants in everything unless it gives a 20+ int bonus. Also, don't worry about T11 4pc. Replace any 359 items with FL drops as they come. You can hang on to the 2pc for a while though (your chest should prob be one of the items you keep).

Your logs look OK. I didn't look at them in depth, but the main thing I noticed was low dot uptimes (only looked at baleroc). It looks like you're a shard soaker for that fight, so there's a lot of movement for you, but I'd say your DPS is decent for your gear.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thank you very much for the feedback.

Yeah, Baleroc and Domo were the ones I was chiefly concerned about.

To a few of your points (and please correct me where I am incorrect):

I've noticed a bit of a boost in DPS waiting to refresh dots until the Eclipse transformation, even if it sacrifices 1-2 worth of cast times on a Wrath or Starfire to get there. I'm just using Skada as a rough estimate so perhaps this is something that may be better found in logs, but I can see the number fluctuating up about 200-300 if I do this, but it DOES decrease up-time which I can see being a net loss.

As to the gems, that's basically what information I've gotten from sites like askmrrobot and wowreforge and it's basically gotten me set exactly at 17.00% hit. It sounds like you think it'd be better to just go full Brilliants and make up the spirit/hit elsewhere going forward?

I also tried replacing the 359 Tier 11 balance shoulders (breaking the 4 piece) and (just on targeting dummies) I saw a substantial decrease in DPS. W/ the 4 piece I was averaging out to about 18.3k using only Wrath, Starfire, Starsurge, IS, MF/SnF and with the 378 Shannox shoulders that have spirit/haste (Shoulders of the Undertow) I was finding myself much closer to 17.4-17.5. This is after doing reforges and all that good stuff. Could this much deviation come only from the 4 piece loss? All my common sense told me it would be a substantial upgrade but all I've seeing is loss so far. Or is this just possibly a case of the RNG not going my way and not getting crits and such? It's baffling me after reading the T11 4pc isn't that amazing.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I've noticed a bit of a boost in DPS waiting to refresh dots until the Eclipse transformation, even if it sacrifices 1-2 worth of cast times on a Wrath or Starfire to get there. I'm just using Skada as a rough estimate so perhaps this is something that may be better found in logs, but I can see the number fluctuating up about 200-300 if I do this, but it DOES decrease up-time which I can see being a net loss.

It's better to refresh your dots when they fall off, and then refresh them again before they leave eclipse, even if that means clipping them, than to wait a few seconds for eclipse. What seems to be best, though, is to cast them at the beginning of eclipse, and then again just before you exit eclipse, meaning that you clip them substantially, but you get eclipse buffed dots all the time. I know that's not exactly what's written in the guide, but at higher haste levels, this is turning out to be more ideal play.

As to the gems, that's basically what information I've gotten from sites like askmrrobot and wowreforge and it's basically gotten me set exactly at 17.00% hit. It sounds like you think it'd be better to just go full Brilliants and make up the spirit/hit elsewhere going forward?

I don't trust askmrrobot. Some people have told me it works great for them, but my personal experience has been that it can make some silly calls sometimes. Wowreforge is good for reforging, but as far as I know it doesn't make gem recommendations.

Basically, it's better to get the hit from other stats like crit and mastery instead of losing int to do so, which is why it's better to hit cap via reforging instead of gemming. There are sometimes going to be exceptions to this, but generally it's going to serve you best to use brilliants unless the socket bonus is good enough to justify something else.

I also tried replacing the 359 Tier 11 balance shoulders (breaking the 4 piece) and (just on targeting dummies) I saw a substantial decrease in DPS. W/ the 4 piece I was averaging out to about 18.3k using only Wrath, Starfire, Starsurge, IS, MF/SnF and with the 378 Shannox shoulders that have spirit/haste (Shoulders of the Undertow) I was finding myself much closer to 17.4-17.5. This is after doing reforges and all that good stuff. Could this much deviation come only from the 4 piece loss? All my common sense told me it would be a substantial upgrade but all I've seeing is loss so far. Or is this just possibly a case of the RNG not going my way and not getting crits and such? It's baffling me after reading the T11 4pc isn't that amazing.

It was likely RNG, but it's also possible that the single replacement wasn't a big enough upgrade for you. It's hard for me to say, but if you want to play around with wrathcalcs, that's a good way to figure out it. Unfortunately, it can be a bit tedious, since there's no armory upload for it. So you have to enter both item sets individually, with their own reforge/gem set up, and see which one gives more DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you use WoWReforge, as awesome a tool as it is, double-check the solutions that it gives you.

After you hit the Optimize button, possible solution options pop up below it in the format

Solutions: [previous] [ 0 ] [ 1 ] [ 2 ]

Click a solution, and take a little time to look at the reforges and, maybe more importantly, the stat changes. If you play Restoration as your offspec, you might want the solution with more +Spirit than +Hit.

@Eluial: How's the Fiery Quintessence working out for you?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Time the Quintessence with a Power Torrent AND a DMC Proc. The outcome amused me greatly.

I am, sadly, soon to not be a boomkin. Guild decided to give the staff to casters based on seniority, so I likely won't have a shot. With recent issues involving our rogue, we've come to the conclusion that the raid will benefit from me being feral more then boomkin.

Now, I'll still get a !@#$ ton of gear, as our resto druid has won like 99% of the rolls, so I can still get boomkin gear as offspec.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
If you use WoWReforge, as awesome a tool as it is, double-check the solutions that it gives you.

After you hit the Optimize button, possible solution options pop up below it in the format

Solutions: [previous] [ 0 ] [ 1 ] [ 2 ]

Click a solution, and take a little time to look at the reforges and, maybe more importantly, the stat changes. If you play Restoration as your offspec, you might want the solution with more +Spirit than +Hit.

That's great advice, thanks for bringing it up. Another good thing to do is set the hit cap to "close to" instead of "exactly" and see if it gives you a significant stat boost. This is more important when you're close to a haste breakpoint than at other times, though.

09/04/2011 03:25 PMPosted by Mamafatkins

It's great, I love it. I'm a little torn, since we haven't seen a NF drop once, I haven't had to make the decision, but if we see one drop I'll be torn between joy of NF and the sadness of losing so much haste. Although, my lock is out of town for 3 weeks, so I'm not gonna have DI for a while anyway :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/04/2011 04:12 PMPosted by Eluial

It's great, I love it. I'm a little torn, since we haven't seen a NF drop once, I haven't had to make the decision, but if we see one drop I'll be torn between joy of NF and the sadness of losing so much haste. Although, my lock is out of town for 3 weeks, so I'm not gonna have DI for a while anyway :(

Oh poop. I was going to wait out the reputation for the Fiery Quin., so I passed on Necromantic Focus when I won the roll tonight (wtb more 96 rolls when I really want something). Since all the caster leather auto-loots to me, and there's been a lot dropping, I thought it'd be nice to let someone else win something. When NF drops again, I think my fiance, an Affliction Warlock, could use it more than me.

I won't have that same perspective when the tier tokens drop. I needz mah ENARGEE so I can haz moar eclipse cookie time!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]