Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

100 Troll Druid
09/04/2011 04:12 PMPosted by Eluial
It's great, I love it. I'm a little torn, since we haven't seen a NF drop once, I haven't had to make the decision, but if we see one drop I'll be torn between joy of NF and the sadness of losing so much haste. Although, my lock is out of town for 3 weeks, so I'm not gonna have DI for a while anyway :(
Its a painful decision when you are used to that much haste. I remember that after a good number of firelands upgrades including NF I was sitting at around 1938 haste. It made me very sad. Until I looked at my SP that is.

Also, NF synergizes nicely with placing shrooms at a boss's feet pre-pull, "pre-potting" Moonwell Chalice, actual pre-potting, and then exploding shrooms in solar. An extra 2090 mastery leads for a crazy amount of extra damage on pulls(which is great since aggro isn't an issue anymore)
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid

That's great advice, thanks for bringing it up. Another good thing to do is set the hit cap to "close to" instead of "exactly" and see if it gives you a significant stat boost. This is more important when you're close to a haste breakpoint than at other times, though.

Through a a lot of wrathcalc trials and gear setups I've come to the conclusion that for the optimal wowreforge.com setup on average is to do exactly that. Set hit to "Close to" 1742 and then set Haste "At Least" 1929 with over cap weight equal to the stat weight from above section (so 2.0538 is what mine says). I also lower mastery Stat Weight to just slightly above crit. So crit is 1.3971. Move mastery down to ~1.45. This makes it take crit/mastery ->haste conversions into account for whichever is larger (Wrathcalc roughly shows if you can gain 10 more haste using mastery->haste, then its better then crit->haste even though the norm is always use crit).

Of course it's not gonna be 100% the best always, but without having to mess with wrathcalcs it will get the person extremely close to it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/09/2011 03:36 AMPosted by Thathappens
This makes it take crit/mastery ->haste conversions into account for whichever is larger (Wrathcalc roughly shows if you can gain 10 more haste using mastery->haste, then its better then crit->haste even though the norm is always use crit).

Hrm... I'll have to look into that. I'd believe it if it would get you a breakpoint, but 10 sounds like a really small number for something like that.
Edited by Eluial on 9/9/2011 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Have you been able to find any numbers on the new version of Variable Pulse Lightning Capacitor?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Have you been able to find any numbers on the new version of Variable Pulse Lightning Capacitor?

There's some good conversation about it starting here:
http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t110353-balance_cataclysm_4_2_a/p13/#post2000049

The conversation jumps around a little, but they talk about numbers and what not.

But basically, the normal version is better than normal NF, And h VPLC/ h NF are our two BiS. However, YMMV depending on how close you are to a break point and if DMC:V would put you over it..
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Hello all, i tank in my guilds FL raid group and its been decided now that ill be the tank going dps for the fights that we use only one tank on(Ryolith, Baleroc, Staghelm).

Im curious about what my second trinket should be(first is DMC: Volcano). the trinkets I have available to me are the Moonwell Chalice and Soul Casket from JP. I'm thinking chalice is better so i can pop it and blow my shrooms,starfall, etc., but i wanted to ask :)
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Chalice is better than Soul casket, provided that you use it correctly. Just make sure to not activate it outside of eclipse, and always have it up when you are refreshing eclipse DoTs.

Also, if you are getting DI then Soul Casket wins because it should put you over a haste breakpoint for DI+raid.

Keep in mind that you should replace Chalice with Fiery Quintessence when you get Revered with the Avengers of Hyjal.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Ok thanks, unfortunately I wont be getting DI because we also have a shadow priest, but Ill definitely pick up quintessence once im revered :)
Reply Quote
"With Moonfury and Burning Shadowspirit Diamond, our critical strikes do 2.09x (or 209%) normal spell damage. "

Hmm shouldn't this be 206%? That is, 1.03x200%=206. If i'm not factoring in something do let me know.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
09/15/2011 07:44 AMPosted by Velaniz
Hmm shouldn't this be 206%? That is, 1.03x200%=206. If i'm not factoring in something do let me know.

Magical Blizzard Math makes it 209%.

It's only 203% for pures.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/15/2011 04:03 PMPosted by Smo

Magical Blizzard Math makes it 209%.

It's only 203% for pures.

Yep. Because of the way moonfury (and similar talents) is calculated in the equation, it ends up being 209% for us.

If you're interested, the formula looks like this:
1+((1.5*1.03)-1)*2

Since moonfury is calculated after the meta gem, it's kind of like cheating and counting the meta bonus twice.
Reply Quote
Oh!! Thanks for the math, been under the wrong impression this whole time. Hmm does the crit damage from Typhoon/Shrooms/Hurricane follow that too, except with a 1.5 the end? Or is it just 1.5x1.03=1.545?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/15/2011 08:51 PMPosted by Velaniz
Oh!! Thanks for the math, been under the wrong impression this whole time. Hmm does the crit damage from Typhoon/Shrooms/Hurricane follow that too, except with a 1.5 the end? Or is it just 1.5x1.03=1.545?

I want to say hurricane is the only one that doesn't follow the same formula, but it's an old memory from long ago telling me that, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. And apparently with skada you can't do a breakdown of average hit damage v crit damage for each ability (the first major disappointment I've suffered from this addon), so I don't really feel like recording and uploading logs to test it.

But you can test it yourself! Just go to a dummy, take off any gear that procs spellpower or mastery (just in case), and start casting whatever it is you want to test. You shouldn't need that many trials, just 5 or so crits so you get a nice average, and that will also give you a sufficient number of hits. Then just look at the average damage done by hits and by crits (using either recount or uploading logs to WoL), and see if your crit damage is 209% of your hit damage.

Just be aware of things like entering/leaving eclipse, having earth & moon (or other debuffs) on the dummy, and random people buffing you (they sometimes like to do that at target dummies).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hey guys I have been trying my best to push my damage as best I can in FL but I feel like I am forced to under perform.... I have tried reforging tons but I feel like it doesn't seem right D=. Please help me out!!! DDD=
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Put int on bracers, cant really see anything else wrong,

Do you have logs, or, failing that, a detailed description of rotation?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Im in the same boat as Adanessa. Im putting 15k in FL and i know i should be doing a lot more. I am not sure how to post world of logs but we did raid on tuesday where i did about 20-22k on the trash, and only 14-15k on bosses. HELP! :(

Starting off w/ IS, MF, Star, until eclipse, then redotting, wrath, redot at end of eclipse, wrath until eclipse and reverse.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Im in the same boat as Adanessa. Im putting 15k in FL and i know i should be doing a lot more. I am not sure how to post world of logs but we did raid on tuesday where i did about 20-22k on the trash, and only 14-15k on bosses. HELP! :(

Starting off w/ IS, MF, Star, until eclipse, then redotting, wrath, redot at end of eclipse, wrath until eclipse and reverse.

Your guild's logs are here: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/28665/

Your gear, spec, etc all look fine. You can actually get hit capped at the cost of a tiny bit of mastery if you redo your reforging, which will benefit you in the long run, but it's not the root of your current problems. (To fix your reforging, go to wowreforge.com, load yourself up, set hit to "close to 1742" and hit optimize.)

Looking at your last Baleroc kill:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/lcniiojq3hwqu9op/details/17/?s=2697&e=2980
It looks like you're not casting starfall at first glance. But taking a closer look, you're definitely casting it, 4 times in a 4:42 fight, which is great. Except that not a single one of them did any damage. That suggests that you're using focus glyph but not standing close enough for it to work. Baleroc can be a good fight for glyph of focus, but only if you can ensure that you'll be in range. If you have to stand far back, then just lose the focus glyph for that fight.

The other thing that stands out for that fight is your dot uptime. It's pretty low for a stand and nuke single target fight. Dots should, as a minimum, have an uptime of over 90% for that fight. Your IS is just barely shy of that (89.9%) - not bad, but can definitely improve. Your MF/SnF times are a little worse though (86.3% combined) - that's pretty bad. If you use the Power Auras addon, I'd recommend setting up an aura to warn you when your dots have about 4s left on them. That gives you ample time to finish your current cast and get them refreshed before the last tick.

Apart from those 2 big things, it's just going to be a lot of little things adding up. Learn to reduce your movement, predict aoe/movement phases, look ahead a few casts to determine when the best time to use starfall, starsurge, dot refresh, etc would be. Try to time dot refreshes with when you have multiple SP buffs up (like, potion, trinkets, power torrent, etc).

Actually, ok, one other big thing I just saw is that you apparently do not have Balance Power Tracker (or you're not using it correctly). It looks like you're always casting an extra starfire every time you hit solar eclipse. With wrath, it's a little harder to tell from the log browser, but I'd bet you're doing the same thing for lunar eclipse and wrath. Balance Power Tracker will tell you when your current cast is going to proc eclipse, so that you can go directly into the right spell. The only time this breaks down is on fights where the target is very far away (nef and rag) and you're casting a spell with a travel time (wrath and starsurge).
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Thanks so much for taking a look at my logs and seeing what im doing wrong. I will definately take your adivce and improve. I am using balance power tracker i just am not reading it correctly i dont think. :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I am using balance power tracker i just am not reading it correctly i dont think. :)

Ah, ok. yeah, Make sure you have the option enabled that warns you when your cast is going to put you in eclipse. I'm not sure what it's called, and I'm not at home right how so I can't check. But it puts a big warning text, sort of like DBM's warning text, in the middle of your screen. As soon as you see that, you want to switch your spells. So, if you're casting SF and you see that warning, you want to queue up wrath to be your next spell.

Just be careful with dot refreshes and instant SS casts, though. An instant cast on the tail end of the spell that puts you in eclipse will NOT be eclipse buffed. So, if you're casting SF, you see "Solar Eclipse Soon!" on your screen, and you hit IS as soon as your SF cast is done, that IS will actually not be eclipse buffed, nor will it trigger NG. This is only true of instant cast spells, though. Any spell with a cast time will behave normally.

The same effect, but in reverse, applies when you're exiting eclipse, too. If you cast an instant cast on the tail end of the spell that causes you to exit eclipse, that spell will still be eclipse buffed.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
This guide was a huge help for my druid, thanks! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]