Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Night Elf Druid
10/25/2011 02:10 PMPosted by Moineau
I wouldn't trust that Eluial person. There be sinister going's on behind that snout.

Shut up you ugly old night elOH MY GOD.

This might just be incentive enough to start reading these forums more than once every two weeks.

At least until I get banned again :D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
10/25/2011 03:43 PMPosted by Orlém
I haven't posted in here for awhile. Just checking if everything with my spec/gems/enchants look good. Thanks
Well you are missing enchants on legs, and 20 under hit cap so I would recommend fixing that. Personally I also dislike going for the set bonus on the chest and like the one on the legs.

Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Crap, I just got those legs last night and forgot to enchant and reforge :P Why do you dislike the set bonus on the chest? What would you do?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Actually I am a little torn on what gear to wear. I have all 5 tier pieces
378 tier Helm vs 391 H Beth Helm
378 tier Shoulders vs 391 H Shannox Shoulders
378 tier Chest
378 tier Gloves

391 tier Legs vs 391 H Major Domo legs

I want to keep my 4 piece and I am currently wearing the items I have in bold above. Should I swap something around in order for better results?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Actually I am a little torn on what gear to wear. I have all 5 tier pieces
378 tier Chest
378 tier Gloves

I want to keep my 4 piece and I am currently wearing the items I have in bold above. Should I swap something around in order for better results?

Yes, use your 391 shoulders instead of tier.

10/26/2011 06:27 PMPosted by Orlém
Crap, I just got those legs last night and forgot to enchant and reforge :P Why do you dislike the set bonus on the chest? What would you do?

I think he means the socket bonus? Not sure. But yeah, you don't need to match those sockets. But it's really not that big a deal. If you have some spare red gems lying around, swap them out. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Meant to say gem bonus. It's not really a big deal but double reds would be better. And I also meant to say gloves instead of that second legs, you don't match your glove bonus but it is a yellow socket with an int bonus so you should use an int/haste gem.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
[quote]Actually I am a little torn on what gear to wear. I have all 5 tier pieces
378 tier Chest
378 tier Gloves

Yes, use your 391 shoulders instead of tier.

But then I wont have my 4 piece :(

and I changed the gems on my chest.
Edited by Orlém on 10/27/2011 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/27/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Orlém

Use your 391 shoulders instead of your tier shoulders, and use your tier helm instead.

Shoulders/pants are the worst itemized tier pieces while helm is one of the best. Helm should never be your off piece. You have 2 391 options for pants, but only 1 391 option for shoulders. So you pick the 391 for shoulders. Which means that it becomes your off piece.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Use your 391 shoulders instead of your tier shoulders, and use your tier helm instead.

Shoulders/pants are the worst itemized tier pieces while helm is one of the best. Helm should never be your off piece. You have 2 391 options for pants, but only 1 391 option for shoulders. So you pick the 391 for shoulders. Which means that it becomes your off piece.

I added up my current set of gear to the set with the 391 shoulders and 378 tier helm.
I used the numbers from here http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/p/moonkin-raiding-gear-list-as-of_06.html

And what I got was
3752.2 with my current 5 pieces that I have listed above
vs the change
Edited by Orlém on 10/27/2011 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/27/2011 03:36 PMPosted by Orlém

I added up my current set of gear to the set with the 391 shoulders and 378 tier helm.
I used the numbers from here http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/p/moonkin-raiding-gear-list-as-of_06.html

And what I got was
vs the change

If you already have an answer then why are you asking here? If you want to base your gear on numbers that Graylo himself says to take with a grain of salt, you're welcome to do so. I don't really understand why you're asking for advice at that point, though.

I explained to you why using offset shoulders is superior, but if you think that zero-context gear rankings are somehow a better indicator of itemization, then go for it.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
10/27/2011 03:36 PMPosted by Orlém
[quote]But then I wont have my 4 piece :(

And what I got was
vs the change

The question I have for you is what version of Shannox's shoulders do you have? That will play a Huge role in deciding. If you have the Undertow (or Feverflare depending on need for hit), then it's pretty much stated everywhere that this is BiS and its best to use this for your offset item. However if u have Wavecrest, Fireflash etc I doubt they are gonna be the best and may be worth it to stick with tier shoulders.
Easily though, because only the tier legs and shoulders have Crit (eww!), your gonna keep the tier gloves, helm, chest and replace 1 of the other's for an offset item with Haste.

Wrathcalcs is ur friend. Learn to love it. You can't just go off of something like Gray matter's gear list values when going into details and Min/Maxing exactly. Changing 1 item effect's all other items and those numbers cannot account for that. For instance with hit/haste caps, it says Haste Rating - 0.5505, Crit Rating - 0.3764, Mastery Rating - 0.4279, however if you are gonna push the 2637 haste breakpoint using 1 item over another, then that haste rating is going to skyrocket way above 0.5505 (the cap is worth 390dps +).
Edited by Thathappens on 10/28/2011 5:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
63 Troll Druid
06/23/2011 11:53 AMPosted by Eluial
ow to pewpew

LOL. Best thing ever.
Reply Quote
63 Troll Druid
*How...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
;)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Hello fellow boomkin!

I just recently reactivated my account after being dorment for 9 months. I got the itch after attending Blizzcon this year.

I was always a feral druid but recently made the switch over to boomkin to try out a different style of play as a DPS caster.

I've been reading up on everything Boomkin from Eluial's guide to many various boomkin blogs and have worked on my rotation as well as trying to get the gear I need to do well in raids.

I've just been working on Firelands recently and find my DPS is just ok, nothing special, and I'm wondering if I've got my gear sorted out correctly. (Gems, enchants, reforges e.t.c.) Mages smoke me on the meters so I question my rotation, but It could always be a gear issue as well. I'm just looking for a fellow Boomkins opinion! Thanks for any help.

(BTW, yes I know I don't have the helm enchant. I quit before even doing any Mount Hyjal quests which I'm rectifiying atm)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I'd say your gear is holding you back. The people out dpsing you are probably superior geared. You are missing the head enchant which you mentioned but also a bracer enchant. Lunar shower is usually frowned upon now a days but for the fights you're doing it's not make or break. My primary moonkin spec is one that a lot of moonkins use (ignore the one I'm in, it's a pvp spec I've been bg'ing in). You seem to know the stat weights and are reforging correctly. You say you know the rotation, but are you saving Starfall for lunar eclipse or using it on cd? Refreshing dots on eclipse or when they fall off? Do you ever use hurricane? Little things like that can hurt you. Are you pre-potting and potting during fights?

Also look at strats for certain fights.

Like for Shannox normal. You want to DoT the 2 dogs plus Shannox while nuking the current focus target (usually rageface first on normal). Keep dots up on all 3 targets. On Beth you have some good mushroom timings for increased dps. Alysrazor has some multi dotting possibilities. Rhyolith has some multi-dotting, mushroom exploding possibilities. And fights like Alysrazor where you're not flying in the air are not relevant since you won't be top 3 (person flying #1, two tanks #2 and #3).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/31/2011 12:41 PMPosted by Paww
I got the itch after attending Blizzcon this year.

I hear they have ointment for that now.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I'd say your gear is holding you back. The people out dpsing you are probably superior geared. You are missing the head enchant which you mentioned but also a bracer enchant. Lunar shower is usually frowned upon now a days but for the fights you're doing it's not make or break. My primary moonkin spec is one that a lot of moonkins use (ignore the one I'm in, it's a pvp spec I've been bg'ing in). You seem to know the stat weights and are reforging correctly. You say you know the rotation, but are you saving Starfall for lunar eclipse or using it on cd? Refreshing dots on eclipse or when they fall off? Do you ever use hurricane? Little things like that can hurt you. Are you pre-potting and potting during fights?

Also look at strats for certain fights.

Like for Shannox normal. You want to DoT the 2 dogs plus Shannox while nuking the current focus target (usually rageface first on normal). Keep dots up on all 3 targets. On Beth you have some good mushroom timings for increased dps. Alysrazor has some multi dotting possibilities. Rhyolith has some multi-dotting, mushroom exploding possibilities. And fights like Alysrazor where you're not flying in the air are not relevant since you won't be top 3 (person flying #1, two tanks #2 and #3).

Thanks for the response.

To address rotation:
1. Yes I wait for Lunar Eclipse before casting Starfall
2. I've been refreshing DOTs on Eclipse
3. I rarely use Hurricane and only in Solar
4. I am fully food buffed and flasked but I haven't been pre popping pots

Thanks for pointing out the bracer enchant. I just switched to my current bracers from the Smoldering ones. The more I've been reading up, it looks like I've been using SS at the wrong times. Should I save them for Lunar Eclipse? I registered for WOL so I want to try and get a parse in Tuesday to see what my DOT uptimes are and perhaps I can get a better idea on where I need to improve.

Also, if not Lunar Shower, where would I redistribute the extra talent points? Looks like Gale Winds is what most are going for. Maybe for better AOE during Solar?
Edited by Paww on 10/31/2011 3:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/31/2011 03:38 PMPosted by Paww
2. I've been refreshing DOTs on Eclipse

There are 2 big rules with some exceptions.
1. Always refresh your dots at least once per eclipse. This one doesn't have an exception.
2. Don't clip.
>>Unless you haven't yet applied dots during your current eclipse and you're about to leave it
OR
>>Unless you're about to leave eclipse and your current set of dots won't last you til you hit your next one.

3. I rarely use Hurricane and only in Solar

The only fight this tier that is hurricane-worthy is Rag. And only for the seeds.

4. I am fully food buffed and flasked but I haven't been pre popping pots

It's a good way to get your DPS up, but honestly, for farm content or nerfed regular FL, it's just a waste of gold. You're clearly not pushing cutting edge content. Unless your group is running into enrage timers, using one pot during heroism is good enough.

The more I've been reading up, it looks like I've been using SS at the wrong times. Should I save them for Lunar Eclipse?

Because you don't have the T12 4pc, you basically want to use SS on cooldown. Whether it's a proc or not you just want to hit it. The only minor exception to this rule would be if you're really close to hitting lunar eclipse, I'd save it. The reason for that is you definitely want to cast it at least once during lunar, and if you use it right before, the timer might not be up in time.

Also, if not Lunar Shower, where would I redistribute the extra talent points? Looks like Gale Winds is what most are going for. Maybe for better AOE during Solar?

You will want to pick up dreamstate. Especially if you're doing fights like rhyolith or bethtilac where you stay in solar for most of the fight. That last point can go where ever you want. Gale winds is a decent choice.

If you want more swing points, you can also dump blessing of the grove. It's not doing much for you, even with lunar shower.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I said to pre-pot because he wants to boost his dps in farm content, not because they're hitting enrage on bosses. Yes farm content is easy, he went 6/7 in his last trip in with a blue helm. It's worth the gold/farming time if you want to be higher on a meter. Just don't pre-pot rhyolith or alysrazor imo.

Yes, the boss will die if he pre pots or not, but if that's your mindset when giving advice then he probably shouldn't bother respeccing or enchanting anything either. Save the gold!

And there's really no fight that's hurricane worthly on 10 man normal. The rag seeds will die with one round of mushrooms and a typhoon+ the other 5 dps' aoe. So the 2 ticks of hurricane are a waste.

And why only pop SS during Lunar Eclipse? It benefits from both eclipse states, lunar and solar, as the tooltip reads. So cast SS on either Eclipse.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]