Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Worgen Druid
If you're doing 25-30k with your gear, there's probably very little room for improvement. If you posted logs I could say for sure, but I wouldn't expect much beyond 30k on most fights from you. Although you do have some pretty nice pieces in there (damn you, Insignia).

But, assuming you don't get DI, and with no legendary, 30k is really not that bad.

Some general tips: I'd always, always refresh your dots when insignia procs. Because it's a 20s proc you should be able to get 2 sets of dots out of it, preferably both eclipsed.

12/22/2011 08:22 AMPosted by Otserpotser
keeping my dots up probably 99% of the time but still only manage to pull 25-30k.

This can be a double edged sword, especially at end-expansion gear levels. In general, yes, you want high dot uptime. But if you're actually sitting at 99% and that's not just an exaggeration, you're probably actually losing some DPS by obsessing over your dots so much. If you can get numbers closer to 93-95%, but those dots are ALWAYS eclipsed dots (well, except for the very first ones you cast), then that's much better than a 99% uptime of a mix of uneclipsed and eclipsed dots.

Plus there's all the basics: pre-pot, make sure to time your trees with heroism, reduce movement, blah blah etc.

Also, you can tweak your reforging a tiny bit for a small amount of haste, if you check wowreforge.com. But it's probably not worth it until you get a new piece of gear.

One last thing: check wrathcalcs to see if bottled wishes is an upgrade over your DMC:V. If you're not getting DI, it WILL put you over a haste breakpoint, so might really be worth it. Plus, timing that on-use with an insignia proc would be OMG YUMMY dots.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
My dps has been terrible since 4.3. I use to be 2nd or 3rd on the dps chart but now I m last and sometimes very close to the tank's dps. Its even worst in herioc encounters. I am currently using 4t12(half herioc, half normal). I tried the 2t12H,2t13N and my dps was about the same. I ran a comparison between some of the top ranking druids on Madness as a comparison. I notice that they did almost as twice the damage on the wing/arm tentacles as me. Am I doing something wrong on single target dpsing? I jus to ur normal dots and cycle thru the eclipse like usually. Below is the comparison i used. So far I notice that I need to do better about my uptime on dots.

http://raidbots.com/comparebot/4ef3a18e4b1cfb9c7700032c#damage

Here is another for Morchok.

http://raidbots.com/comparebot/4ef3a7124b1cfbbd12000354#damage

Any pointers would be nice.
Edited by Tannerz on 12/22/2011 2:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Is there a BiS list I can check out for both Regular DS and heroic? All I can find is heroic. I need to find out if Lightning Rod is better than the Steps of time from Deathwing
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
How do you plan to replace T12? I currently have shoulders and head-piece T13 normal, i experimented using my 2p from T13 from the LFR and i was highly un pleased withthe results. I cant decide if i want to wait to replace my T12 tokens with heroic Dragon Soul tokens or go ahead and replace now and use the 2 set from each.

Do you feel the 4p from T12 is strong enough to keep around untill i replace my gear with heroics?

As always thanks for any and all help i get, its always appreciated!!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
12/22/2011 07:59 PMPosted by Mordare
Is there a BiS list I can check out for both Regular DS and heroic? All I can find is heroic. I need to find out if Lightning Rod is better than the Steps of time from Deathwing
I'll put up my Heroic BiS a little later when I bother to put it in chardev(I couldn't find one without DW:TR so I made my own). But I can tell you that the best weapon is vagaries+ledger for all the int.

On lightning rod vs. Ti'Tahk I would say lightning rod. Ti'Tahk is very weak and the proc can be wasted easily. Also you can easily reach 3102 with lightning rod, not so with Ti'Tahk so no DU and lightning rid definitely wins.

Edit: if you ever see this edit Mordare, Ti'tahk's proc an be wasted because it can proc after you have applied DoTs at the end of eclipse and are heading towards a new eclipse. If you aren't carefully tracking it you won't know that you need to clip you DoTs when in eclipse and with 2s left on Ti'Tahk or you won't get any haste buffed DoTs which is a bad thing. That said, the proc has terrible uptime in the first place and a huge ICD. That combined with it either being wasted or being a PITA is why I say that lightning rod is better. But if its available to you grab ledger+vagaries (or ledger+Rathrak as they are VERY close).

Edit2: BiS w/DI-http://chardev.org/?profile=293841
BiS w/o DI-http://chardev.org/?profile=293843
Normal T13 BiS is fairly obvious, LW bracers, VP boots&belt, resto chest, balance rest of stuff. Ti'tahk if you have DI, ledger+vagaries if you don't
Edited by Tagartou on 12/23/2011 2:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Also I have a question regarding 4 set I can't quite understand. With the reduced CD on Starsurge and the Glyph should Starfall be used every time it's off CD now? Or should I wait till eclipse, because if that's the case It kind of made it a little useless.

Another question I have is, Can a boomkin have too much haste? I have 2735, or 27.43% in boomkin but I don't know if that's good or bad. Is there a stopping point? If so, where can I find a chart (not using wrathcalcs) that will tell me the haste caps. I will have my 27% and the Deathwing staff with the proc with the haste proc trinket, Insignia of the Corrupted mind. With both of these will I have WAY too much haste? Or with I just be slapping out spells faster than I can hit the button. Cause as far as I know the Deathwing one is BiS for a boomkin.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
My dps has been terrible since 4.3. I use to be 2nd or 3rd on the dps chart but now I m last and sometimes very close to the tank's dps. Its even worst in herioc encounters. I am currently using 4t12(half herioc, half normal). I tried the 2t12H,2t13N and my dps was about the same. I ran a comparison between some of the top ranking druids on Madness as a comparison. I notice that they did almost as twice the damage on the wing/arm tentacles as me. Am I doing something wrong on single target dpsing? I jus to ur normal dots and cycle thru the eclipse like usually. Below is the comparison i used. So far I notice that I need to do better about my uptime on dots.

http://raidbots.com/comparebot/4ef3a18e4b1cfb9c7700032c#damage

Here is another for Morchok.

http://raidbots.com/comparebot/4ef3a7124b1cfbbd12000354#damage

Any pointers would be nice.

Do you have WoL logs? I've never used raidbots and I have no idea how to get the most out of it.

For madness, make sure you're double dotting when the big tenatcle is up. The only time I'd say don't do it is when you don't have the slow on the bolt (because you want to make sure the tentacle dies before the bolt lands). Have mushrooms pre-planted for hemorrhage, use starfall for when you have to kill the little tentacles (and tab-dotting works well, too).

For ultraxion, the biggest part is really minimizing your time outside the shadow realm. Learn when you need to refresh your dots before you leave eclipse and when you'll be able to push through to the next one. Use glyph of focus. Pre-pot. Use barkskin on CD (helps reduce pushback, also makes your healers happy). Keep an eye on your int/haste CDs and refresh your dots with them as necessary. Really, it's going to be all the minor things that add up.

How do you plan to replace T12? I currently have shoulders and head-piece T13 normal, i experimented using my 2p from T13 from the LFR and i was highly un pleased withthe results. I cant decide if i want to wait to replace my T12 tokens with heroic Dragon Soul tokens or go ahead and replace now and use the 2 set from each.

Do you feel the 4p from T12 is strong enough to keep around untill i replace my gear with heroics?

As always thanks for any and all help i get, its always appreciated!!

I have the same exact tier setup as you, and my plan is too keep my 4pc til I have at least 3/4 heroic T13. If you want exact numbers, though, wrathcalcs is always there for you.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I worked out the BiS using Ti'Tahk and using its haste value you will be pretty much exactly haste capped on wrath and SS with normal staff proc, normal trink, DI, moonkin aura, and NG. So you will be good on haste there, it won't be wasted.

If you look at my previous post's edits: Ti'Tahk is BiS normal for people with DI, Vagaries is for those without due to being able to reach 3102 haste.
The actual numbers I got for dummy dps with no buffs(except DI where relevant) were:
  • Ti'Tahk-DI: 30324
  • Rathrak-DI: 30159
  • Vagaries-DI: 30289
  • Vagaries-no DI: 29178(gemmed to >3102 with 1 quick in a yellow slot)
  • Rathrak-no DI: 28863(gemmed to >3102 with 5 reckless in red slots and 2 quick in yellow slots)
  • Ti'Tahk-no DI: 28848
  • Edit:
    12/23/2011 02:50 PMPosted by Eluial
    Do you have WoL logs? I've never used raidbots and I have no idea how to get the most out of it.
    The logs are quoted in the raidbots report, just click on the character's name at the top.

also, is the sticky not going to get capped(the others are extended) or should I shut up since it is the last page?

Edit2: I was checking out what Tecton was saying about Rathrak and it appears that the proc isn't mathed out in the sheet yet but Ti'tahk is so given how close it is to Ti'Tahk w/DI and Vagaries w/o DI (with appropriate gemming in both cases) then I would say that it is likely the BiS normal mode weapon when the proc is factored in.
    Edited by Tagartou on 12/23/2011 6:43 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Druid

Edit:
    The logs are quoted in the raidbots report, just click on the character's name at the top.

also, is the sticky not going to get capped(the others are extended) or should I shut up since it is the last page?

Ahh, ok. I was at work so I just took a quick glance.

And I don't know about the sticky. I'd assume that if it does get capped it will be easy to extend, but I don't have any information about it. Just keep posting, though. Don't worry about it.
    Reply Quote
    85 Worgen Druid
    Here are my logs.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/4nqhh40uk765a3sm/details/8/?s=10511&e=11288

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/ywlpgt8a33zq93qj/details/2/?s=1928&e=2209
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Druid
    Here are my logs.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/4nqhh40uk765a3sm/details/8/?s=10511&e=11288

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/ywlpgt8a33zq93qj/details/2/?s=1928&e=2209

First thing I'm seeing is you're not using volcanic pots. Pre-pot and use one during heroism.

Do you track your buffs with an addon like power auras or something similar? Especially with your synapse springs, if you're in eclipse and you have synapse springs and power torrent up at the same time, you probably want to refresh your dots.

Also, check if bottled wishes is an upgrade for you over NF. Just plug yourself into wratchcalcs, switch the trinket and see what it tells you.

But anyway, the fine tuning of moonkin DPS comes down to micro managing things based on buff procs. Since we don't have any big DPS cooldowns, we need to use the small ones to our advantage. If you have haste or SP buffs procing together, you should consider refreshing dots at that time. Or maybe taking your synapse springs out of a macro, and timing them with other things to get more burst.
    Reply Quote
    85 Worgen Druid
    Yeh i use power aura to track my dots. however I dont not track power torrent. I will start doin that. I notice compare to other top moonkin, they seem to be getting in more hard cast than i m. not sure if they are dotting everything or just single target stuff on madness. I notice my uptime on my dots shoudl be a bit better. Thanks for ur help.
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Druid
    12/27/2011 03:01 PMPosted by Tannerz
    Yeh i use power aura to track my dots. however I dont not track power torrent. I will start doin that. I notice compare to other top moonkin, they seem to be getting in more hard cast than i m. not sure if they are dotting everything or just single target stuff on madness. I notice my uptime on my dots shoudl be a bit better. Thanks for ur help.

If you're comparing to top moonkin, they probably have dragon wrath, and so will definitely be getting more hardcasts. It could also be that your haste is relatively low (it's not bad, just for current gear it's on the low side).

Another thing is, when you cast, do you spam your buttons, or just push the next button when your cast is finished? Because there is a slight difference in when your cast actually finishes, and when it appears to finish on your screen, and it's affected by your internet lag (but having low FPS can also negatively affect your DPS). Quartz castbar has a module that shows you your cast delay as a red bar at the end of your cast bar, so you can queue up your next spell as soon as your cast hits the red zone. Or, you can just spam your buttons, which works, too :P
    Reply Quote
    Hi I would like to ask for you to review my gear and see what I am missing. I have a choice of this staff or Heroic Vagaries of Time, with ilvl 378 Demonic Skull. It seems I am not performing as well as i probably should.

Edited by Naturalshîft on 12/27/2011 10:54 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Druid
    Hi I would like to ask for you to review my gear and see what I am missing. I have a choice of this staff or Heroic Vagaries of Time, with ilvl 378 Demonic Skull. It seems I am not performing as well as i probably should.

I have that meta cause i am resto main.

Er, well, you seem to be in all resto gear right now. Also, you should get a new helm with the right meta. If you're using the same gear for resto and balance, you most definitely won't perform as well as your ilvl would suggest. While a lot of the gear is interchangeable, resto and balance have slightly different gemming and reforging priorities, and with balance, those slight differences can have a huge effect on your dps.
    Reply Quote
    Recheck it Eluial it switched. But one of my big questions is which weapon is better the vagaries with a 50 int and the 378 offhand or the Ti'takh.

Edited by Naturalshîft on 12/27/2011 11:33 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Druid
    12/27/2011 10:54 PMPosted by Naturalshîft
    But one of my big questions is which weapon is better the vagaries with a 50 int and the 378 offhand or the Ti'takh.

Just gonna quote Tag from a few posts up:
    If you look at my previous post's edits: Ti'Tahk is BiS normal for people with DI, Vagaries is for those without due to being able to reach 3102 haste.
    # The actual numbers I got for dummy dps with no buffs(except DI where relevant) were:Ti'Tahk-DI: 30324
    # Rathrak-DI: 30159
    # Vagaries-DI: 30289
    # Vagaries-no DI: 29178(gemmed to >3102 with 1 quick in a yellow slot)
    # Rathrak-no DI: 28863(gemmed to >3102 with 5 reckless in red slots and 2 quick in yellow slots)
    # Ti'Tahk-no DI: 28848

As for your gear, it looks decent. Like I've been telling a lot of people, you should check wrathcalcs to see if Bottled Wishes is an upgrade for you over Foul Gift (it will put you just shy of the 3102 break point, but with the extra SP proc it might still be better - hard to say).

As far as reforging goes, I'd suggest using wowreforge to get everything figured out. You can actually "lock" certain items so it won't change their reforging if you need to keep certain pieces the way they are for your resto set. Just hit the check box to the right of the items you don't want changed. Then go down to the bottom left of the page, select Cap 1: Hit Close To 1742 and hit optimize.
    Edited by Eluial on 12/28/2011 11:17 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Priest
    As for your gear, it looks decent. Like I've been telling a lot of people, you should check wrathcalcs to see if Bottled Wishes is an upgrade for you over Foul Gift (it will put you just shy of the 3102 break point, but with the extra SP proc it might still be better - hard to say).

I was lucky to get ~30 dps out of Bottled Wishes over DMC:V. Beware!
    Reply Quote
    100 Troll Druid
    That's with normal gear and normal vagaries+normal ledger so it is not a very good picture for this situation. Also its in BiS normal gear where you get >2637 haste with Ti'Tahk. So I would say just plug both setups into wrathcalcs and see what it has to say.
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Druid
    12/28/2011 11:36 AMPosted by Nysem

I was lucky to get ~30 dps out of Bottled Wishes over DMC:V. Beware!

...That's why I said he should consider replacing foul gift, not DMC:V. DMC:V is an extremely overpowered trinket for its ilvl. The fact that it's taken 3 tiers to finally get a trinket that without a doubt replaces it (and only because there aren't many in-reach haste breakpoints this tier) should make that plain enough.

12/28/2011 11:40 AMPosted by Tagartou
    That's with normal gear and normal vagaries+normal ledger so it is not a very good picture for this situation. Also its in BiS normal gear where you get >2637 haste with Ti'Tahk. So I would say just plug both setups into wrathcalcs and see what it has to say.

I would guess the general principle, if not the numbers, hold true for heroic. Especially because with heroic BiS you have to drop a couple haste items for non-haste items.

But yes, wrathcalcs knows all. Ask it your questions and be amazed.

edit: Tag, please give me one of your trinkets. Either one. I'll even take unbinding, it doesn't have to be insignia. I JUST WANT MY STUPID TRINKETS TO DROP ARRRGHHHH /nerdrageoff
    Edited by Eluial on 12/28/2011 11:50 AM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]