Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Worgen Druid
This thread is capped. Working on getting it extended. In the meantime feel free to make new topics if you have any moonkin questions.

edit: \o/ yay, forum mods are fast!
Edited by Eluial on 1/4/2012 10:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Yay, uncapped!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I'm gonna double post just cause I'm curious if the thread will get locked or not. Plus it's as good a time as any to mention that I plan on posting some moonkin PoV dragon soul videos starting the next couple weeks (I just need a couple lockouts to get things recorded, and then some time to edit).

TBH I'm a little nervous cause, you know, inc everyone nitpicking at every mistake I make. But oh well. Such is life.

I've been wanting to do the same thing, but everytime I try and record my internet connection takes a dump and I start freezing up in any game I play :(.

I wouldn't worry about people being nitpicky, if the video helps one moonkin, it's a success.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I'm gonna double post just cause I'm curious if the thread will get locked or not. Plus it's as good a time as any to mention that I plan on posting some moonkin PoV dragon soul videos starting the next couple weeks (I just need a couple lockouts to get things recorded, and then some time to edit).

TBH I'm a little nervous cause, you know, inc everyone nitpicking at every mistake I make. But oh well. Such is life.

I've been wanting to do the same thing, but everytime I try and record my internet connection takes a dump and I start freezing up in any game I play :(.

I wouldn't worry about people being nitpicky, if the video helps one moonkin, it's a success.
True.

I did record our H yorsahj kill last night. It's weird, there's this huge lag spike at the very beginning of the recording which is the fault of the recording software, I'm pretty sure, since I didn't experience a lag spike in game. But then partway through the fight I had a huge in-game lag spike that doesn't show up at all in the video (basically, you just see me running and not doing anything. It looks like I derped because I refresh IS, and then just run without refreshing MF for about 3s.)

Anyway, I'm def not posting that one. The sheer number of retard moments in it makes me embarrassed to watch it myself. And also apparently I shake my camera around constantly for no reason. But I should get some good videos on Sunday when we finish the instance.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
What is that Mushroom macro supposed to do? I've tried it on my druid and it doesn't seem any different from using the actual button.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Would anyone kind enough tell me how much i'm expected to be pulling in my gear? I'm doing like 25k on ultraxion with prepot and stuff, which seems awfully low to me.

Is that DPS actually right for my gear or am i doing something wrongly?

EDIT: Is a race change to a troll worth it? How much would the racial weigh in dps increase?
Edited by Duduhip on 1/6/2012 2:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
01/05/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Stoneformed
What is that Mushroom macro supposed to do? I've tried it on my druid and it doesn't seem any different from using the actual button.

It's possible they fixed it then, but it used to be that if you spammed your mushroom button it would toggle the reticule on/off. The macro makes it so that if you already have the reticule showing and then you press the button again it doesn't disappear. If you don't spam your button it won't appear to be any different. But when you're trying to get 3 mushrooms down as fast as possible you want to just mash those buttons and drop them ASAP.

Would anyone kind enough tell me how much i'm expected to be pulling in my gear? I'm doing like 25k on ultraxion with prepot and stuff, which seems awfully low to me.

Is that DPS actually right for my gear or am i doing something wrongly?

EDIT: Is a race change to a troll worth it? How much would the racial weigh in dps increase?

Eh, 25k isn't bad (I'm assuming you don't get DI). But you could probably push closer to 28-30k, just eyeballing your gear.

As for troll race change, yes you'll see a DPS increase. Wrathcalcs will be able to tell you how much (and while you're there, check to see if bottled wishes is an upgrade over foul gift for you).

It being worth it is a completely different questions that's 100% up to you, as you'd be spending real money for that DPS increase.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
01/06/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Eluial
Eh, 25k isn't bad (I'm assuming you don't get DI). But you could probably push closer to 28-30k, just eyeballing your gear.

Yup, no lock in our raid group sadly.

As for troll race change, yes you'll see a DPS increase. Wrathcalcs will be able to tell you how much (and while you're there, check to see if bottled wishes is an upgrade over foul gift for you).

Went on ahead and tested if the trinket was a dps increase, it weighs roughly 400ish dps so i guess i will grab that over the neck if the spine trinket doesn't drop next week.

It being worth it is a completely different questions that's 100% up to you, as you'd be spending real money for that DPS increase.

Well, so long as it actually helps, i wouldn't do it for like a 50 dps increase =X

Thanks for the great help!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
It's possible they fixed it then, but it used to be that if you spammed your mushroom button it would toggle the reticule on/off. The macro makes it so that if you already have the reticule showing and then you press the button again it doesn't disappear. If you don't spam your button it won't appear to be any different. But when you're trying to get 3 mushrooms down as fast as possible you want to just mash those buttons and drop them ASAP.

Looks like it did get fixed, spamming the button doesn't remove the reticule anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Messin around at the target dummy. Made a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLiZEW3ohO4

Power Aura export:
Set=Balance@
Aura[1]=Version:4.23; g:0.9686; icon:Ability_Druid_Starfall; buffname:Starfall; r:0.9922; x:219; bufftype:15; texture:232; alpha:1; combat:true; torsion:1.21; y:-13; texmode:2@
Aura[2]=Version:4.23; g:0.9529; icon:Spell_Arcane_Arcane03; buffname:Starsurge; r:0.6549; x:-226; bufftype:15; texture:231; alpha:1; combat:true; torsion:1.26; y:-14; texmode:2@
Aura[3]=Version:4.23; icon:Ability_Mage_ArcaneBarrage; buffname:Shooting Stars; x:85; customname:93399; texture:147; alpha:0.8; customtex:true; size:0.12; y:-390; texmode:2; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.h:1.25; timer.Texture:Crystal; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:CENTER; timer.y:8; timer.Transparent:true@
Aura[5]=Version:4.23; icon:inv_potiond_3; buffname:Volcanic Power; x:-125; customname:79476; customtex:true; size:0.12; y:-390; texmode:2; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.h:1.25; timer.Texture:Crystal; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:CENTER; timer.y:8; timer.Transparent:true@
Aura[7]=Version:4.23; icon:Ability_Paladin_SacredCleansing; buffname:Power Torrent; x:-85; customname:74241; texture:23; alpha:0.8; owntex:true; size:0.12; y:-390; texmode:2; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.h:1.25; timer.Texture:Crystal; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:CENTER; timer.y:8; timer.Transparent:true@
Aura[8]=Version:4.23; icon:druid_ability_wildmushroom_a; buffname:3; x:125; bufftype:19; owntex:true; inVehicle:0; size:0.12; y:-390; texmode:2; ismounted:0@
Aura[9]=Version:4.23; icon:inv_shoulder_leather_firelandsdruid_d_01; buffname:Wings of Flame; x:-477; customname:98619; customtex:true; size:0.3; y:-79; texmode:2; timer.b:0.051; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.g:0.051; timer.h:1.77; timer.UpdatePing:true; timer.enabled:true; timer.r:0.051; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:TOP; timer.y:-35; timer.Seconds99:true@
Aura[10]=Version:4.23; icon:Spell_Fire_Incinerate; buffname:Blazing Power; x:-402; customname:99461; bufftype:2; customtex:true; size:0.3; y:-79; texmode:2; timer.b:0.0667; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.g:0.0667; timer.h:1.77; timer.UpdatePing:true; timer.enabled:true; timer.r:0.0667; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:TOP; timer.y:-39; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.r:0.0118; stacks.b:0.0118; stacks.g:0.0118; stacks.y:27; stacks.x:31; stacks.Relative:BOTTOM; stacks.UpdatePing:true; stacks.h:1.29@
Aura[11]=Version:4.23; InvertAuraBelow:4; b:0.0275; g:0.5412; target:true; icon:Spell_Nature_InsectSwarm; buffname:Insect Swarm; r:0.3843; x:85; customname:5570; bufftype:2; texture:13; mine:true; inVehicle:0; combat:true; size:0.27; y:-235; texmode:1; ismounted:0; finish:0@
Aura[13]=Version:4.23; InvertAuraBelow:4; b:0.6275; g:0.7098; target:true; icon:Spell_Nature_StarFall; buffname:Moonfire; r:0.3647; x:133; customname:5570; bufftype:2; texture:13; symetrie:1; mine:true; inVehicle:0; combat:true; size:0.27; y:-235; texmode:1; ismounted:0; finish:0@
Aura[14]=Version:4.23; InvertAuraBelow:4; b:0.3176; g:0.5216; target:true; icon:Ability_Mage_FireStarter; buffname:Sunfire; r:0.7961; x:133; customname:5570; bufftype:2; texture:13; symetrie:1; mine:true; inVehicle:0; combat:true; size:0.27; y:-235; texmode:1; ismounted:0; finish:0@
Aura[15]=Version:4.23; b:0.1059; g:0.102; icon:Ability_Mage_ArcaneBarrage; buffname:Shooting Stars; x:-226; customname:93399; texture:231; alpha:0.8; combat:true; size:1.1; y:-14; texmode:1@
Aura[16]=Version:4.23; icon:Spell_Shadow_GatherShadows; buffname:Tormented; x:-477; customname:99402; bufftype:2; customtex:true; size:0.3; y:-79; texmode:2; timer.b:0.051; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.g:0.051; timer.h:1.77; timer.UpdatePing:true; timer.enabled:true; timer.r:0.051; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:TOP; timer.y:-35; timer.Seconds99:true@
Aura[17]=Version:4.23; icon:Spell_Nature_Purge; buffname:Electrical Charge; x:30; customname:97008; texture:0; alpha:0.8; owntex:true; off:true; size:0.12; y:-390; texmode:2; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.h:1.25; timer.Texture:Crystal; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:CENTER; timer.y:8; timer.Transparent:true; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.LegacySizing:false; stacks.y:17; stacks.Relative:BOTTOM; stacks.Transparent:true; stacks.h:0.81; stacks.Texture:Crystal@
Aura[21]=Version:4.23; icon:ability_hunter_posthaste; buffname:Velocity; x:-45; customname:89091; owntex:true; size:0.12; y:-390; texmode:2; timer.HideLeadingZeros:true; timer.h:1.25; timer.Texture:Crystal; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:CENTER; timer.y:8; timer.Transparent:true@
Aura[22]=Version:4.23; g:0.9608; icon:ability_hunter_posthaste; buffname:Velocity; r:0.9412; customname:89091; texture:224; symetrie:2; size:0.86; torsion:1.5; y:180; texmode:2@
Edited by Eluial on 1/6/2012 8:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Hey there Eluial

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kelthuzad/Moonleafs/advanced

just wondering if u could help me out here when ever im on any of the new ds im only doin 27 ish k even on ultraxion which seems really low to me idk ill have my post of world logs next week if that need to b the case idk thanks for reading and replying :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Hey there Eluial

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kelthuzad/Moonleafs/advanced

just wondering if u could help me out here when ever im on any of the new ds im only doin 27 ish k even on ultraxion which seems really low to me idk ill have my post of world logs next week if that need to b the case idk thanks for reading and replying :)

The only problem I see with your armory is that you have lunar shower, and that shouldn't affect your Ultraxion DPS in the slightest. I'm not really seeing anything in your gear or spec that would account for you missing several thousand DPS, which is what you're missing for that fight.

So yeah, you'll have to post logs.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Other than increasing your run speed slightly, why use Enchant Boots - Lavawalker (35 mastery) instead of the Enchant Boots - Mastery (50 mastery) ?
I'm always confused when I see that. xD
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
alrighty soo heres my world of log on ultraxion wasnt the best i say on my part messd up a wee bit but im norm armound here

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/nawovqd2t9r5j0uq/
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
can you explain ">If you're about to exist lunar eclipse and SS hasn't come off CD yet, drop down 3 shrooms under the boss while you wait for it. Then detonate them in solar."

why do you want to do SS after lunar eclipse (I am assuming "exist" means "exit")

I figured it was a DPS loss (Four casts takes you from 0 to 100 solar with 4T12, but if you put in a SS then that is 5 casts)
Reply Quote
Hey Eluial, thanks for all the hard work you do. I have a couple questions, as I'm easing back into DPS for the first time in a few months. These are kind of addressed other places, like this guide and MR, but I'm retarded and want to ask anyway.

Starsurge hardcasting. I've looked over the advanced rotation tips dozens of times, and yet I'm still having trouble absorbing it entirely. I know we want to hardcast once during Lunar (assuming you don't get a SS proc, correct?)... what about Solar?

Secondly, weapons. I currently have normal Rathrak+Ledger, and I've been theorycrafting on this for awhile and can't seem to find a good solution. What the hell should I be aiming for; the first thing I can get that's an upgrade? I've seen a lot of people using heroic Vagaries, heroic Scalpel of Unrelenting Agony, and heroic Lightning Rod. I really need to get Wrathcalcs again and figure this out, but I'd like a "guideline" so I have some idea of which route to take. I hate wasting items, particularly weapons, so I prefer to hold out for BiS if possible.

Thanks, sorry for the stupid questions.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
can you explain ">If you're about to exist lunar eclipse and SS hasn't come off CD yet, drop down 3 shrooms under the boss while you wait for it. Then detonate them in solar."

why do you want to do SS after lunar eclipse (I am assuming "exist" means "exit")

I figured it was a DPS loss (Four casts takes you from 0 to 100 solar with 4T12, but if you put in a SS then that is 5 casts)

I'm kind of back and forth on this, actually, and have been toying with taking it down. But I think that's it's still a decent idea (and yes, sorry about the typo - should be exit).

Basically, here's the idea. You're in lunar and for whatever reason you haven't been able to use SS. So you're sitting at 1 cast away from exiting and your SS has, say, 2ish seconds left before it comes off CD.

So, in a black and white sense, your choices are to cast SS during lunar, or not cast it at all until solar (you *could* cast it outside lunar on the way to solar, but that's a pretty bad idea if you haven't cast it in lunar at all).

Holding it til solar will mean 5 casts with 4pcT12, or 6 casts without, with only 1 of those lunar buffed in either case. Casting it during lunar will actually be one more cast in each case (just ignoring the possibility of a SS proc sometime before you get there, for simplicity's sake), but 2 of them will be lunar buffed.

Of course, this increases the time between eclipses, which decreases your NG uptime and runs the risk of your dots falling off, which are all very important considerations. The lesson is don't get caught in lunar without SS up. And of course, this becomes even less of an issue with 4pcT13.

That's the idea. Like I said, I'm not totally happy with it, and that advanced section is kind of under construction. So take it with a grain of salt.

Other than increasing your run speed slightly, why use Enchant Boots - Lavawalker (35 mastery) instead of the Enchant Boots - Mastery (50 mastery) ?
I'm always confused when I see that. xD

Because in the majority of raid fights the run speed boost you get is better than any marginal bonus you'd get from having the small amount of extra stats.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
alrighty soo heres my world of log on ultraxion wasnt the best i say on my part messd up a wee bit but im norm armound here

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/nawovqd2t9r5j0uq/

In that log you're at 31k, which is not the 27k you said before. 31k is much closer to what I'd expect to see from your gear. And I can't really find anything major wrong in your logs.

The one thing I'm seeing is you're refreshing your dots every time shortly after you exit solar eclipse. Trying refreshing them BEFORE you exit, preferably while NG is still up. Yes you're clipping about 4s off them, but they should last you to lunar that way.

In fact, it looks like you're refreshing them in between eclipses, but then clipping them as soon as you enter eclipse, which is a terrible idea. If you're forced to cast non-eclipsed dots, at least let them run their course. Don't clip them as soon as you reach your next eclipse - just wait til they fall off, or if they haven't fallen off before you're about to exit eclipse, then you can clip them.

Also, I don't see an eclipsed dot refresh during your second insignia proc. You want to make sure you're getting at least 1 full round of eclipsed, trinket buffed (and if possible NG buffed) dots every time that trinket procs. It's just too good to pass up.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Eh, triple post ftw.
Hey Eluial, thanks for all the hard work you do. I have a couple questions, as I'm easing back into DPS for the first time in a few months. These are kind of addressed other places, like this guide and MR, but I'm retarded and want to ask anyway.

Starsurge hardcasting. I've looked over the advanced rotation tips dozens of times, and yet I'm still having trouble absorbing it entirely. I know we want to hardcast once during Lunar (assuming you don't get a SS proc, correct?)... what about Solar?

Secondly, weapons. I currently have normal Rathrak+Ledger, and I've been theorycrafting on this for awhile and can't seem to find a good solution. What the hell should I be aiming for; the first thing I can get that's an upgrade? I've seen a lot of people using heroic Vagaries, heroic Scalpel of Unrelenting Agony, and heroic Lightning Rod. I really need to get Wrathcalcs again and figure this out, but I'd like a "guideline" so I have some idea of which route to take. I hate wasting items, particularly weapons, so I prefer to hold out for BiS if possible.

Thanks, sorry for the stupid questions.

SS - since you have 4pcT12, it works like this. Only ever hard cast it during eclipse. Cast it as many times as you want during solar. For lunar, it's best to cast it just once during the actual lunar, and if you get lucky with a proc you can cast it on the tail end of the last starfire of your lunar eclipse (it will still be lunar buffed if it's instant cast).

For instant procs, you can generally use them whenever, although it does get a bit more complicated if you really want to get into it. Basically, with T12, you're not going to go horribly wrong if you decide to only ever cast it during eclipse.

For weapons, it's going to depend on what else is available to you and whether or not you get DI. If you don't get DI there is a breakpoint available to you at 3102 haste, which is pretty reachable even in mostly 391 gear, but not using the deathwing weapons. For staff v MH/OH, if there's one you can get in heroic it's obv going to be better.

I'll be honest, I haven't really spent a lot of time looking at this tier's weapons. Lightning rod and scalpel are clearly the two best itemized ones of their types. But like, a heroic vagaries would probably be better than a reg scalpel (probably). But yeah, I'd check out wrathcalcs to be sure.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
El, vagaries is BiS(not counting heroic DW weapons that is) because of the red slot and the additional haste over scalpel. Lighting rod falls behind for the same reason all staffs do, lack of int compared to enchanted MH/OHs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]