Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

87 Night Elf Druid
Why did you rewrite it? Jw.. :P

Because when things change, previous guides are typically irrelevant. Why would she continue to supply dated information?

Not to mention the 4.1 sticky has been capped for months, and that isn't appropriate when there are heavy changes to the spec since there will be plenty of boomkins coming in to ask questions about them, the new Firelands gear, etc.

I thought it was rather obvious, but I sometimes forget you aren't a balance druid. :P

Well yeah, but I figured that El would just edit her old post :P.
Edited by Joux on 6/26/2011 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Well yeah, but I figured that El would just edit her new post :P.

I wanted more space, and I also wanted people to be able to post in the thread again.

------------------------------
OK, so while it's still not COMPLETELY finished (will it ever be?) I feel like it's complete enough to warrant a sticky. So please use that "request sticky" button at the top of the page, and like the individual posts as well.

Also, while it's in the process of being stickied, it's not necessary to post "bump" just to keep it on the front page. However, questions/comments/etc are always welcome!

edit: stickied 45 mins after I sent the email. AWESOME
Edited by Eluial on 6/26/2011 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Druid
I have done everything according to this guide and yet I still only do 10k dps in heroics, please help me on this one because my raid leader wants me to do closer to 12k. Is there something I am missing on this?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
06/27/2011 12:55 PMPosted by G#%@@whistle
I have done everything according to this guide and yet I still only do 10k dps in heroics, please help me on this one because my raid leader wants me to do closer to 12k. Is there something I am missing on this?

Well, you certainly have some room for improvement in your gemming, enchanting and reforging. The big things I see are your meta gem and your weapon enchant, but there are some other things that you can fix up.

For gems, it's not necessary to match every socket. If the bonus isn't 20 int or more, just put a red gem in there.

Once you fix your gems and enchants and armory updates, going ahead and go to wowreforge.com and enter yourself in. At the bottom, set hit to "exactly 1742" and hit optimize. That will give you a pretty good plan for reforging your gear.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Druid
thank you very much :D! at my item level what dps is expected of me?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
06/27/2011 03:33 PMPosted by G*@*@whistle
thank you very much :D! at my item level what dps is expected of me?

Ummm, I dunno, between 14-16k, depending on the fight? Maybe more on multitarget fights? If you're really curious, you can always take a look at wrathcalcs, which is the moonkin spreadsheet. Basically, you enter your gear and stuff in, and then it will tell you your max potential DPS. Obviously you'll be a little lower than that, because, as a sim, it assumes perfect play and zero lag. But it should give you a pretty good idea of what you're capable of.

You can also put wrathcalcs in "target dummy mode" and then spend some time at the target dummy. That will tell you how far off the max you are.

edit: unrelated, but ROFL the forums censor your name. That's pretty hilarious.
Edited by Eluial on 6/27/2011 3:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Great guide. You and Calc put a lot of effort into the math and theorycrafting of boomkins and I'm grateful. That said, I was wondering. (And I'm not sure if Calc still posts here, but I'll direct it at him as well as you).

With the loot tables being out for all 7 bosses, including the itemization both of the drops and our tier pieces, have you guys come up with, or are you close too, a BiS list? At the moment it definitely seems, itemization wise, that our tier shoulders will be left out (Crit/Mastery...Lol), but the only other leather SP shoulders in the drop list so far are a <Random Enchantment> drop off Shannox. With the sex that is the haste/spirit of our gloves, haste/mastery on our head/chest, and crit (eh..) with 2 red sockets on our pants, do you think we'll be praying for the RNG drop off Shannox, or perhaps go for the Haste/Spirit, 2 blue socket pants off Staghelm and deal with the poor stats on our tier shoulders?

There are a LOT of well itemized off pieces to choose from, including the aforementioned legs, as well as a haste/spirit chest off Lord Rhyolith. I haven't had a chance to WrathCalc it as this new computer doesn't have excel and I keep getting random errors, but I was curious as to what you guys thought.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Druid
wtf lol, yea g!!!#s are offensive.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Druid
g r a p e s, wow I can't even talk about fruit.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
06/27/2011 11:22 PMPosted by G!%!!whistle
D!%!! of the TwinsWow's curse filter is hilarious

To stop clogging up the sticky with useless posts, Eluial what are your thoughts on ugrading in Firelands, and how quickly should we break our 4piece? Should we wait till we have 2 pieces of t12, upgrade pieces when we get Firelands loot, or grab better off set pieces from the current tier?

I am going to do some testing when I get off work to see what the difference is between using my current gear and swapping out the chest for the heroic scorched wyrmling vest, which nets me about 150 more haste and some mastery at the expense of crit.
Edited by Tagartou on 6/28/2011 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Great guide. You and Calc put a lot of effort into the math and theorycrafting of boomkins and I'm grateful. That said, I was wondering. (And I'm not sure if Calc still posts here, but I'll direct it at him as well as you).

With the loot tables being out for all 7 bosses, including the itemization both of the drops and our tier pieces, have you guys come up with, or are you close too, a BiS list? At the moment it definitely seems, itemization wise, that our tier shoulders will be left out (Crit/Mastery...Lol), but the only other leather SP shoulders in the drop list so far are a <Random Enchantment> drop off Shannox. With the sex that is the haste/spirit of our gloves, haste/mastery on our head/chest, and crit (eh..) with 2 red sockets on our pants, do you think we'll be praying for the RNG drop off Shannox, or perhaps go for the Haste/Spirit, 2 blue socket pants off Staghelm and deal with the poor stats on our tier shoulders?

There are a LOT of well itemized off pieces to choose from, including the aforementioned legs, as well as a haste/spirit chest off Lord Rhyolith. I haven't had a chance to WrathCalc it as this new computer doesn't have excel and I keep getting random errors, but I was curious as to what you guys thought.

To stop clogging up the sticky with useless posts, Eluial what are your thoughts on ugrading in Firelands, and how quickly should we break our 4piece? Should we wait till we have 2 pieces of t12, upgrade pieces when we get Firelands loot, or grab better off set pieces from the current tier?

I am going to do some testing when I get off work to see what the difference is between using my current gear and swapping out the chest for the heroic scorched wyrmling vest, which nets me about 150 more haste and some mastery at the expense of crit.

I always get really weird about new content patches, so I've only given a cursory glance at the loot tables. I definitely did notice the massive amounts of haste/spirit offset pieces though.

I plan on building my own non-heroic BiS list this week (probably tonight), but for the really good gear lists, I just rely on Graylo. He does a really thorough job of ranking the available options.

For T11 4pc, I'm honestly going to break it now. My OCD will compel me to fuss about the proc if I keep it, and it's just not worth the fuss anymore, DPS-wise. Without having mathed it out, I'd guess if you have same ilevel with better stats or higher ilevel offset pieces to replace any of the tier gear, it's probably worth it to do it.

I'll likely be keeping the 2pc at the very least until I get firelands drops to replace them, but possibly until I'm ready for 4pc T12 (haven't figured that one out for sure yet, again, will be comparing things when I put together my own gear list).
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
D@%%* of the TwinsWow's curse filter is hilarious

I was going to make a post about something important and then saw the d@%%* post and died laughing and lost my train of thought ty.
Edited by Chikko on 6/28/2011 11:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I aim to please :)

As for going non tier here is some testing.

On average I was able to get roughly one direct damage crit out of the tier bonus in 4 wrath casts and one starsurge before it fell off. Looking at my crit this is expected anyways.

Dropping my tier chest for maloriak chest(same ilvl) I consistently saw about 500 dps gain.

Based on this I would say that swapping out bad tier gear for great off tier pieces is an upgrade as long as you keep 2 piece. So right now I'm thinking tier transition should be 4T11=>2T11=>2T12+2T11=>4T12
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

i done liked all your stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I've already dropped down to 2T11 for great victory, replacing it with a heroic chest and the regular T11 gloves. I really couldn't tell you about the DPS difference as it's mixed in with other upgrades (BOE new staff, rep cloak, rep belt), but not having to worry about the convoluted rotation has probably upped my DPS by itself.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I'm asking for the sake of somebody applying to my guild....

Is Glyph of Starfire at all good? O_o
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Honestly, while I very much appreciate this guide, trying to make it make sense in my head caused a minor explosion.

I guess there's more to the moonkin than I had originally thought.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I dont know if i missed something but reforgenator is telling me to reforge out of mastery into crit...If i read the thread correctly should be the otherway around a.k.a.
mastery > crit.
can someone look at my gear and see if im doing it right?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Reforgenator could be using old values where crit>mastery. That's why I use wowreforge.com for right now.
Edited by Tagartou on 7/4/2011 3:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I'm asking for the sake of somebody applying to my guild....

Is Glyph of Starfire at all good? O_o

Not particularly anymore.

Honestly, while I very much appreciate this guide, trying to make it make sense in my head caused a minor explosion.

I guess there's more to the moonkin than I had originally thought.

If you've leveled as a moonkin. or at least played it for a while during leveling, then most of the terms and concepts should be familiar to you. If you're already 85 and want to just switch to moonkin, I'd suggest just copying the spec, glyphs, getting some general caster gear and playing around on the target dummies. Just focus on moving the eclipse bar left and right without worrying about what's optimal at first. Once you get familiar with the spells, then you can worry about details.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]