Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Tauren Druid
Hello, i was just wondering how trinkets are comparing atm

I currently have 397 Cunning of the Cruel, in single target fights it will do about 3.5-3.7% of my total dmg output, how much dps would a heroic insignia give if i replaced cunning with that (have only seen insignia drop once in total, heroic and normal, and it was given to fire mage, so i dont have it yet).

I'm currently sitting at 28-29k dps on heroic ultraxion (before my new legs, previously had LFR legs), would insignia bring me above the 30k mark?

thanks
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
For a single target situation, yes, most definitely go for insignia.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hello all!

Last night I got the 397 tier chest and I wasn't sure if I should get the boomkin tier or the resto.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hello all!

Last night I got the 397 tier chest and I wasn't sure if I should get the boomkin tier or the resto.

Thanks!
Our BiS gear list has us using the resto tier instead of the balance tier for our offset piece.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Oh, one more thing

On Heroic Ultraxion, because of the large amount of downtime, would it be best to refresh my dots right before NG ends also to keep them at max output? since i will only have those rolling on Ultrax while i'm in twilight realm.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
03/28/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Shiftingcow
On Heroic Ultraxion, because of the large amount of downtime, would it be best to refresh my dots right before NG ends also to keep them at max output? since i will only have those rolling on Ultrax while i'm in twilight realm.
Well there;s your problem right there. You should maybe be losing 5 GCDs of time over the course of this fight, 10 tops if Fading Light hates you. Just follow the way that refreshing is covered in the sticky and wait as long as possible to zone out.
Reply Quote
hey guys im just trying to figure out what im doing wrong on heroic ultraxion other then my 89.1% dot up time because i forgot to re dot after a fading light hit me

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/h9prb4ukisjsttnv/sum/damageDone/?s=1196&e=1462 thanks also i the gear i have on right now is the best stuff i got if there something wrong in that let me know i just switched from resto to boomkin a few weeks ago so im learning it the best i can if its a reforge issue let me know.

i will be getting DI but would like to know if i for some reason i dont have DI would i need to change anything as well thanks if u can do help me out

i used wrath calc but im not very good out it so i might have mess up
Edited by Primalfears on 3/28/2012 10:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
hey guys im just trying to figure out what im doing wrong on heroic ultraxion other then my 89.1% dot up time because i forgot to re dot after a fading light hit me

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/h9prb4ukisjsttnv/sum/damageDone/?s=1196&e=1462 thanks also i the gear i have on right now is the best stuff i got if there something wrong in that let me know i just switched from resto to boomkin a few weeks ago so im learning it the best i can if its a reforge issue let me know.

i will be getting DI but would like to know if i for some reason i dont have DI would i need to change anything as well thanks if u can do help me out

i used wrath calc but im not very good out it so i might have mess up

Well, to make you feel a little better, 34k isn't bad, especially without DW.

It's hard to tell for sure, since ultrax logs can be wonky, but it looks like you're not saving starfall exclusively for lunar. You should. You should also have glyph of focus, and go lunar first for this fight -- just be really careful with eclipse lag if you're starting off full neutral, though. Make absolutely certain you see that "Eclipse (Lunar)" message before you start casting SF, or else you'll backtrack.

Again, can't tell because of funky logs, but make sure you're waiting as long as possible to hit the button. This depends on your computer, internet connection, and how comfortable you feel with your reactions, but typically you can hit it under 1s. For fading lights, it helps to have a power aura that shows the tenths and hundreths place for the time.

Finally, with the dots, I've tried the "don't refresh before a fading light/hour of twilight" method, and found that it really doesn't work for me. I spend so little time shifted out that it's better for me to lose that ~1s of NG than to spend 2-3s without my dots up. But again, that will depend on your particular strategy.

The biggest part of doing well on this fight is being really comfortable with your rotation and keeping an eye on the boss timers. Spending time in front of a target dummy will really help you here, because it gives you a sense of how long your dots last and when you need to refresh them.

As for DI and potentially not having it, the main thing you need to worry about is being above 3101 haste if you're not going to consistently have it. Since you have bottled wishes equipped right now, that's not a problem at all for you, but just keep that in mind for when you upgrade your trinket.

General notes: what's up with the random artful gem? Should change that to reckless.

Some other minor things: try timing your trinket and your second volcanic pot so that they buff important things. It's better to wait a few seconds after it comes off CD if you can manage to get solar dots or lunar eclipse starfall or your treants with it. Planning ahead and tracking the little things like that is what makes or breaks moonkin DPS, so the better you get at paying attention to that stuff, the better your DPS will be.
Reply Quote
thank you much hopefully i can pull up to 38k or so next week
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Added another page to the guide, about MoP beta info

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372177#15

Right now it's just a list of links to good places for getting beta moonkin info. In the future I'll add videos, pictures... I dunno, other things, as well.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Sorry, the info I want might be in the 38 pages, but in the actually post of the stick it keeps saying "it is important to cast SS at least once per lunar eclipse".

What I couldn't find was why is that important?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Sorry, the info I want might be in the 38 pages, but in the actually post of the stick it keeps saying "it is important to cast SS at least once per lunar eclipse".

What I couldn't find was why is that important?

Because it gives you a "free" cast during lunar, basically.

So, start to finish, lunar is 100 energy. SF costs 20 energy each, which means that if you just cast SF, you get 5 of them per lunar. However, if you cast 1 SS at 15 energy, you still get your 5 SFs AND one SS, giving you a total of 6 eclipsed nukes instead of 5.

You can be extra sneaky if you get a SS proc after your first lunar SS cast. If you save that proc and cast it on the tail end of your last eclipsed SF, it will be considered lunar buffed, giving you 7 lunar buffed nukes, but that's the best you can do. Casting a second SS in the middle of lunar will still net you 6 lunar buffed nukes (2 SS and 4 SF).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Aha. gotcha.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Made a feedback post on the beta forums with thoughts about a few different things, if anyone is interested in adding/commenting.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4366251916
Reply Quote
I had just a sort of general question about haste.... So I got to the 3104 (I think that's the number break point). At this point is it better to continue to stack reforge to haste, or go into mastery. I know its a bit relative because I am using bottled wishes (which will hopefully get replaced by some version of IOTCM), but until then what should I be doing?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
04/08/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Nugo
I had just a sort of general question about haste.... So I got to the 3104 (I think that's the number break point). At this point is it better to continue to stack reforge to haste, or go into mastery. I know its a bit relative because I am using bottled wishes (which will hopefully get replaced by some version of IOTCM), but until then what should I be doing?

Unless your guild is progessing on spine and having trouble getting the tendons dead in 2 tries, you want to stick with haste all the way.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
What is your opinion of the Balance rotation in terms of skill cap and how fast it plays out? Does the new Shooting Stars mechanic feel as active as the current Shooting Stars?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
04/08/2012 11:53 PMPosted by Cyous
What is your opinion of the Balance rotation in terms of skill cap and how fast it plays out? Does the new Shooting Stars mechanic feel as active as the current Shooting Stars?

Well, I haven't had a good chance to just stand in front of the dummmies and push buttons yet. I was actually going to do that now but the realms appear to be down, so meh.

For first impressions though, it seems like the skill cap is much lower than it is currently. DoT management is gone and eclipse management has been severely downplayed. There's probably a little bit of finesse in knowing when to use SS to your best advantage, but I don't think the DPS differences between good and bad SS management are going to be very substantial.

Celestial Alignment seems pretty meh right now. I'm not used to it yet, so I actually find myself forgetting to use it a lot, but even when I do use it, it doesn't feel like a very exciting button. I know that we've often asked for a "put me in eclipse now" button, and I think this is their response to that, but honestly, a button that just gave us 100 energy in whatever direction we're going in, and on a shorter CD, might have been more useful and interesting.

Currently on live, to some extent NG uptime and cycling through eclipse is the core of our DPS, but planning ahead is very important. With the new rotation, it seems to be ALL about cycling eclipse. If you stay in one eclipse too long you'll start to OOM, but there's not a very big penalty to just cycling to the next one. With SotF and euphoria (and DW, but that doesn't count), my eclipse downtime is so low.

All in all, I'm not super impressed by the changes, but I don't think that they're going in the extremely wrong direction. I think there's hope, but there's still a long ways to go before things get better.

As for SS procs, specifically, I haven't noticed a difference in it. They seem to be coming at about the same rate as before.
Reply Quote
88 Worgen Druid
And about burst, how are you guys doing burst with balance druid? I'm thinking on spine heroic and i'm worried about my burst. Any advice?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
04/22/2012 06:25 PMPosted by Hectorbonila
And about burst, how are you guys doing burst with balance druid? I'm thinking on spine heroic and i'm worried about my burst. Any advice?
Well hopefully Eluial will also pop in here and offer some advice and not see me as the last poster and assume that there haven't been any new posts.

Anyways, heres the copypasta that I wrote on my guild site for how to burst on tendons.

Let me start by saying that our burst is not the best. We are around the worst here with locks and hunters. Our dps model is sustained dps somewhat fluctuating on eclipse states, not burst. That said there is no excuse for appallingly low tendon dps. I can hit 850k-1.25m per lift, so you should be able to do at least somewhat decent damage following this, at the very least the minimum damage requirement.

First off is trinkets. You want one stacking trinket(Will, LFR Will, HNF, NF in that order, VPLC is also decent) and one burst trinket(vp dps one preferred).

You also want to reforge differently for this. Find the highest breakpoint that you are hitting with NG up and reforge down to that. Ideally use wowreforge to do this with the additional parameters of haste at least that breakpoint and then having a value of 1.4 after the breakpoint.

For the actual burst rotation it is important to manage eclipse. First, keep mushrooms down within range of the tendons spawn location. You want to be sitting one cast away from solar, using wraths and DoTs to kill amalgs and wraths to break tendons. You also need to make sure to keep your stacking trinket up during this by hitting low health bloods with moonfire if there isn't another target to hit and the amalg is too low. When the amalg is exploding proc eclipse with a starfire on it. Then use treants and spam the following macro until you DoT the tendon
/cleartarget
/tar boss2
/petattack [exists, harm, nodead]
/cast [exists, harm, nodead] Berserking
/use [exists, harm, nodead] 13
/cast [exists, harm, nodead] Wild Mushroom: Detonate

You want this to be on a key that you can spam while pressing other buttons. As soon as your macro that you have been spamming targets the tendon throw up IS, SnF, starsurge, and then wrath with starsurge on CD until it goes down, switching to starfire after you no longer benefit from eclipse to prevent a wrath being wasted due to travel time and hitting the tendon after it closes. If there is a second amalg up then DoT it before proccing solar for increased shooting stars procs.
Edited by Tagartou on 4/22/2012 7:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]