Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Tauren Druid
Dear Eluial and other balance druids:

So I'm pretty decent at boomkin considering it's my offspec and I play it very few and far between. However recently I have been dps'ing heroic Ragnaros for my guild as boomkin and I want to know how to get my dps and my damage up so I don't feel so awful everytime I have to dps.

Can anyone give me any tips or advice or maybe how to solar camp most of the time on that fight for sons and seeds for extra aoe or something? Just looking for a way to up my dps and damage. Thanks.

Cheers,
Wildlight

Well, I gotta say it's been a while since I had to think about that fight. If your balance gear (and the rest of your raid's gear) is at a similar level to your resto gear, you'll probably have pretty short phases.

Trying to recall what I was doing... P2 is a solar camp phase, yes. You want to have mushrooms planted at the spot where your raid will be running to. So, you start off at location A for the seeds to drop, then you run to location B, so they follow you, and then you disperse. Your shrooms should be at location B. You want starfall up, and to channel hurricane along their path. Then once they reach location B, detonate, typhoon and start dotting up any survivors. You can use SS procs as necessary, just watch your eclipse bar.

You can dot up rag and just cast SF on him. If his health is low enough that you can push before another seeds, it might be better to stop solar camping, but it's a call you have to make on the fly, because losing eclipse is going to hurt you in the coming transition phase. If you're really close on the health v seeds timer, it might be worth it just to push. Otherwise, try to hold on to your solar eclipse.

For transitions, I was splitting my mushrooms - 2 on my primary target and 1 on my secondary. Again, this might not be necessary anymore because of better gear, but the extra damage, slow and E&M up on that 2nd target helped.

I doubt it's a good idea anymore to use that blue execute trinket, since T13 trinkets are so good, especially if you have heroic ones. Just keep in mind, the execute phase is almost doubled in this fight (not to mention all the adds) so classes with execute abilities will tend to have higher than normal DPS.

Thank you so much!! :) Also just run standard glyphs?
Edited by Wildlight on 5/10/2012 1:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
05/10/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Wildlight
Thank you so much!! :) Also just run standard glyphs?

Yeah. The one that reduces typhoon's CD might end up being helpful, at least in a transition phase. And obviously you want to make sure you don't have the minor glyph that removes the knockback.
Reply Quote
Is there an addon of any sort that balance druids can use that would tell them whether or not Starsurge will come off cooldown once they finish casting their current wrath/starfire, so I would know if I should start spamming my Starsurge hotkey, so as to ensure Starsurge is used perfectly on cooldown when I want it to be?

I realize the current UI sort of tries to do this by default, but I don't find it all that effective - too many times have I casted Wrath/Starfire instead of Starsurge because it wasn't accurately shown that it's come off cooldown, only to see a Starsurge proc happen and /facepalm.
Edited by Velaniz on 5/11/2012 7:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Is there an addon of any sort that balance druids can use that would tell them whether or not Starsurge will come off cooldown once they finish casting their current wrath/starfire, so I would know if I should start spamming my Starsurge hotkey, so as to ensure Starsurge is used perfectly on cooldown when I want it to be?

I realize the current UI sort of tries to do this by default, but I don't find it all that effective - too many times have I casted Wrath/Starfire instead of Starsurge because it wasn't accurately shown that it's come off cooldown, only to see a Starsurge proc happen and /facepalm.

ForteXorcist tracks CDs like this. I use a combination for ForteXorcist, power auras and OmniCC (shows ability CDs as actual number counters on your action bar instead of just the sweep thing blizz has by default) to judge when SS is coming off CD.

If you want to see how any of those work, you can watch one of the videos linked in the guide part of this thread.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I scrolled through alot of the comments on your post and did not see this question but if I missed it and am asking again I do apologize.
Could you please tell me what mods you use maybe make a list or whatever.. Cause I can't seem to break 19k DPS on my boomy and am not quiet sure what I am doing wrong. I do not have a gaming mouse and so I have all my attacks in my hotbars and keybound into my letter keys. I think maybe some mod changes would help or maybe getting a gaming mouse to put my attacks in.
There is an argument in my guild right now that says a gaming mouse will not help me that its something I do with my rotation, but after reading your entire post it is not the rotation.
thank you
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I scrolled through alot of the comments on your post and did not see this question but if I missed it and am asking again I do apologize.
Could you please tell me what mods you use maybe make a list or whatever.. Cause I can't seem to break 19k DPS on my boomy and am not quiet sure what I am doing wrong. I do not have a gaming mouse and so I have all my attacks in my hotbars and keybound into my letter keys. I think maybe some mod changes would help or maybe getting a gaming mouse to put my attacks in.
There is an argument in my guild right now that says a gaming mouse will not help me that its something I do with my rotation, but after reading your entire post it is not the rotation.
thank you

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info20836-EluialsMoonkinUI1440x900.html
^ Eluial's UI...be sure to update the AddOns that say "Out of Date."

The rotation changes with different gear levels. Solid DPS comes from solid micromanagement of buffs, DOTs, and spellcasting. You need to jump through a lot of hoops to pull average damage, so try to get damage where you can.

Your Enchants, Reforges and Gems are a bit wonky...and your gear could be more refined.
~~ Enchants ~ ~
1. Boots -> Currently: +50 Mastery --> +50 Haste or Lavawalker

~~ Reforging ~~
1. Shoulders -> Currently: Crit ☼ Mastery --> Crit ☼ Haste

~~ Gemming ~~
1. Boots -> Gem for Socket Bonus (Reckless in Yellow)
2. Chest -> Gem for Socket Bonus (Reckless in Yellow)

~~ Armor Pieces ~~
1. Chest -> Use Resto Tier instead
2. Waist -> Use VP Belt instead
3. Ring 1 -> Grab a ring with Haste already on it (Signet of Suturing or Ring of the Riven)
4. Relic -> Grab the Haste/Crit instead
5. Weapon -> Ti'tahk is really bad, try to get Vagaries/OH or Lightning Rod.

A gaming mouse isn't very important for rotational abilities. Utility spells(Lifebloom, Barkskin), "destination spells" (Mushrooms, Treants, Hurricane) and spells that require fast response (Skull Bash macro), are great for binding to a gaming mouse. A gaming mouse is never a bad thing to own, I use a mouse with two extra buttons and get by just fine. No need to go out and buy a 12-button mouse (Razer: Naga Epic).

I hope this helps, feel free to follow up with more questions or concerns.
Edited by Cyous on 5/26/2012 2:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I just recently switched from my Hunter to my Balance Druid for my main. I had 0 experience with Balance before 85 (I twinked at 70 for over a year as Feral, and at 80 for 6 months as Feral). My guild has been 8/8H for about 5 weeks now and once I got this character to 85 they carried me through 6/8H but had to sit me on H Spine because my Tendon DPS was terrible (I do amazing damage on my Hunter).

I was wondering if there were any tips for maximizing my tendon damage. I'm trying to be in Solar each time the tendon pops, and saving Starfall/Synapse Springs for then too. I've been practicing on the dummy and giving myself the duration of one Insect Swarm to do as much as I could. Even with the unavoidable Starfall and Madness dagger cleave I'm never getting above 700k average (So I assume 600k or so w/o the cleaves).

I'm not sure if I'm actually doing okay considering my ilvl 389 set and being unbuffed or not. But I'd like to know that I'm not dragging down my team.
Edited by Blackjack on 5/27/2012 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I just recently switched from my Hunter to my Balance Druid for my main. I had 0 experience with Balance before 85 (I twinked at 70 for over a year as Feral, and at 80 for 6 months as Feral). My guild has been 8/8H for about 5 weeks now and once I got this character to 85 they carried me through 6/8H but had to sit me on H Spine because my Tendon DPS was terrible (I do amazing damage on my Hunter).

I was wondering if there were any tips for maximizing my tendon damage. I'm trying to be in Solar each time the tendon pops, and saving Starfall/Synapse Springs for then too. I've been practicing on the dummy and giving myself the duration of one Insect Swarm to do as much as I could. Even with the unavoidable Starfall and Madness dagger cleave I'm never getting above 700k average (So I assume 600k or so w/o the cleaves).

I'm not sure if I'm actually doing okay considering my ilvl 389 set and being unbuffed or not. But I'd like to know that I'm not dragging down my team.

For Spine, I know my guild members get angry when someone other than our Blood-killer DK has their AOE trinket or uses the poison dagger to pad meters.

Some tips for Spine:
• Take Starfall off your bars, you won't use it since you can't control the damage.
• Place 3 mushrooms off to the side of the tendon, detonate when it's safe to detonate, try not to hit too many bloods.
• Don't use any items that may damage the bloods...seriously, don't.
• Use the VP trinket

I sit at 80 non-Eclipse Solar and spam Wrath, keeping my DOTs rolling, while damaging the Amal. When the Amal is exploding I cast Starfire and gain Solar Eclipse, Target the tendon and start blowing it up.

I'm not in an ideal build, I don't use the VP trinket -- I can do ~900k in the allotted time.
Edited by Cyous on 5/27/2012 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Hey, im starting to gear up for balance at the moment, and was wondering if I should be getting gear stacking spirit, I've seen a few balance Druids with resto teir, but possibly because it's there os? 17% hit/spirit is what I'm nearly at, I was just unsure when it comes to teir gear. Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
05/28/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Mïlkshake
Hey, im starting to gear up for balance at the moment, and was wondering if I should be getting gear stacking spirit, I've seen a few balance Druids with resto teir, but possibly because it's there os? 17% hit/spirit is what I'm nearly at, I was just unsure when it comes to teir gear. Thanks

Spirit and hit will do pretty much the same thing for you. If you plan on PvPing, I'd recommend some of your hit comes from the actual stat called hit, just so your melee abilities are hit capped, too. For PvE it makes no difference whether you have hit or spirit. Spirit makes life easier if you have a resto offset.

If you plan on raiding, 17%, or 1742 rating is what you're trying to reach. If you're just doing 5 mans for now, the hit cap is much lower (6%, or 615 rating). You can find a short guide specifically for heroics here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372177#13

As for the resto tier, it may be because it's some peoples' offspec, but if you're looking at raiders in T13, the resto chest is actually our best in slot item. So, you get the balance 4pc with helm/gloves/pants/shoulders, and then buy the resto chest because it has better stats than the moonkin chest.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Oh wow, thankyou so much, cleared alot up for me. I was aiming for 17% straight away, this will sort out alot of my dps problem, i seem to have the rotation down pat just not the stats a i want. ty :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Need some advice on what's better?

Lightning Rod (397)

or

Vagaries Of Time (410) with Orb of the First Satyrs (378)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

Lightning Rod (397)

or

Hrrmrrmm. I think MH/OH is better. You should log out in your Balance gear, though. I tried running you through Rawr (sim) but I'm not proficient with it. :(
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Lightning Rod (397)

or

Hrrmrrmm. I think MH/OH is better. You should log out in your Balance gear, though. I tried running you through Rawr (sim) but I'm not proficient with it. :(

Ok, I logged out into my DPS spec/gear
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

Ok, I logged out into my DPS spec/gear

Rawr says MH/OH is better by a small margin. :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
IS it true that for Heroics you want a resto chest piece? http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/uther/ronnylandau
Edited by Ronnylandau on 6/8/2012 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
nice guide, recently switched from pvp resto to pve boom, helped get me up to date, many thanks
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
06/08/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Ronnylandau
IS it true that for Heroics you want a resto chest piece? http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/uther/ronnylandau

yes, it has better stats than the moony one
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
06/08/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Ronnylandau

It's not just for heroics, it's for any level of T13. The resto chest is better than the moonkin chest.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I was looking at the best in slot list on mr.robot and I was not sure hich relic to get. I just want to be careful not to waste any epic gems.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]