Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Worgen Druid
06/10/2012 11:53 AMPosted by Ronnylandau
I was looking at the best in slot list on mr.robot and I was not sure hich relic to get. I just want to be careful not to waste any epic gems.

Mindbender Lens. Not sure what mr robot is recommending these days. Last I checked, it had it right, but with that site, who knows...
Reply Quote
80 Troll Druid
Bookmarked for further reference. Thanks :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Was wondering if you could check my gear and spec to make sure all is right and nothing easy to get is missing. I am probably going to switch out my gloves for pvp gloves to get the +70 int bonus.

My current 5 man heroic dps is about 24-27k on trash and getting a hero or not on bosses. Is this about right for what I should be doing (assuming no professions, flasks, or pots). Also your guide lists the trinkets in the order you say is best, but other moonkins I talk to tell me a lot of different things. What other raid finder trinket should I get to best compliment my current one? Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Things look fine. You can fix your reforging to bring your hit down to cap and get a little more mastery out of it. Check wowreforge.com for details.

As for trinkets, did you have a specific one you were wondering about? I mean, you are just going for Insignia and Will of Unbinding (which you already have). If you PvP, Cunning is good, and it can be a decent PvE trinket for multi target fights, but if you don't PvP, I wouldn't roll against locks and spriests on it. BW is really only good if you're actually doing H hagara or spine.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I've been curious lately about my dps, i feel i should be doing about 40k ish dps on at least raid finder ultrax, i get to about 37k or so, not sure what the problem is :\. My basic rotation is prepot before pull treants >IS>MF>Starfire to solar eclipse>IS>SF>Starsurge while in eclipse>Wrath until lunar eclipse (Redot if dots are going to fall off before lunar) when i hit lunar, IS>MF (If dots have fallen off) Starfall>Starsurge>Starfire etc.. Is there any basic info im missing? :( Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
06/21/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Hiatuz
I've been curious lately about my dps, i feel i should be doing about 40k ish dps on at least raid finder ultrax, i get to about 37k or so, not sure what the problem is :\. My basic rotation is prepot before pull treants >IS>MF>Starfire to solar eclipse>IS>SF>Starsurge while in eclipse>Wrath until lunar eclipse (Redot if dots are going to fall off before lunar) when i hit lunar, IS>MF (If dots have fallen off) Starfall>Starsurge>Starfire etc.. Is there any basic info im missing? :( Thanks.

Do you have any logs you can post for ultrax? Preferably recorded by you, so that there isn't any weirdness with popping out of the twilight realm.

The key to maximizing ultrax DPS is all about dot management (well, and also getting lucky with RNG and not getting hour of twilight very often).

Also, just a basic thing that you're prob already doing, but ultrax is a great fight for focus glyph, and make sure you're using it only in lunar (it comes out to roughly every other lunar that you can use it).
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I'll have logs in a bit :> but also i just don't see myself getting the haste cap without losing int :<
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I'll have logs in a bit :> but also i just don't see myself getting the haste cap without losing int :<

At least not without getting all your gear upgrades. Upgrading both rings, your neck and your pants to heroic should do the trick -- possibly with an extra yellow gem in there. Not sure cause I'm too lazy to add it all up.

Without a couple upgrades at least, though, even downgrading your boots (which would be your best choice for a downgrade option) won't quite get you there. It's a loss 160 int for a gain of 152 haste (assuming all epic gems). Since that's almost 1:1, assuming it actually puts you over the breakpoint, it might just be worth it (again, too lazy to math).

Just as an aside, you can clean up your reforges a little (spirit -> mastery on bracers, crit -> spirit on idol) to lower you down closer to the hit cap and eek out a little more mastery. Won't do much, but it's something.

Just as an FYI, the single biggest hit to your haste that you have is from the resto VP ring. If you can upgrade that to one of the heroic DS rings, you'll gain roughly 140 or so haste.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Sorry about the late log, got side tracked :> (I Hope this is what you're looking for in this link)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-u7a27qy0upqu8htb/sum/damageDone/?s=46&e=284.
Thanks =D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Sorry about the late log, got side tracked :> (I Hope this is what you're looking for in this link)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-u7a27qy0upqu8htb/sum/damageDone/?s=46&e=284.
Thanks =D

So I compared your parse to mine, and you're doing very, very well.

First off:
• Did you use Glyph of Starsurge in this Ultraxion logging session? (If Yes -- NO BAD >:C If No -- Carry on.)

Good Things:
• Strong DOT uptimes
• Strong NG uptime
• Starfall in Lunar

Bad Things:
• Not casting Starsurge often enough. -- The CD of SS is 10sec with the 4pc. You should be casting SS, on average, every 10sec -- a 12sec average is plenty of room for holding SS for an Eclipse. You cast SS once every 13sec (on average). Be sure to use SS out of Eclipse more often, especially during the Solar->Lunar push. Maybe you just had terrible procs, but more SS casts are needed. (If RNG got to you, no worries.)
• Clipping DOTs when you don't need to -- Don't need to clip the opening DOTs until they fall off, or won't last to the next Eclipse within a few seconds. (Something I need to fix as well)

Overall, very solid. You know what you're doing, and it's just fine-tuning at this point.
Edited by Cyous on 6/23/2012 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Thanks =D

So I compared your parse to mine, and you're doing very, very well.

First off:
• Did you use Glyph of Starsurge in this Ultraxion logging session? (If Yes -- NO BAD >:C If No -- Carry on.)

Good Things:
• Strong DOT uptimes
• Strong NG uptime
• Starfall in Lunar

Bad Things:
• Not casting Starsurge often enough. -- The CD of SS is 10sec with the 4pc. You should be casting SS, on average, every 10sec -- a 12sec average is plenty of room for holding SS for an Eclipse. You cast SS once every 13sec (on average). Be sure to use SS out of Eclipse more often, especially during the Solar->Lunar push. Maybe you just had terrible procs, but more SS casts are needed. (If RNG got to you, no worries.)
• Clipping DOTs when you don't need to -- Don't need to clip the opening DOTs until they fall off, or won't last to the next Eclipse within a few seconds. (Something I need to fix as well)

Overall, very solid. You know what you're doing, and it's just fine-tuning at this point.

Alright thanks (: And err with the starsurge glyph would you recommend replacing it with the wrath one just for that fight? :P

Thanks again ^.^
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Alright thanks (: And err with the starsurge glyph would you recommend replacing it with the wrath one just for that fight? :P

Thanks again ^.^

Actually, you'll be wanting to use wrath for most fights. Madness and H zonozz are really the only 2 fights in DS where SS glyph is doing much for you.
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Druid
I'm Australian and deal with a little bit of latency when I play - I'm also not the best at reading logs - am I hitting IS twice when I go to refresh it? I have a habit of mashing buttons when I play and yeah I have a feeling I'm wasting an ICD when I put my dots up. Is anyone able to have a quick look and tell me if this is what I'm doing?

Also I know it's a bad log - didn't have focus glythed and I don't think I had a food buff - the fire mage stole my DI - if there are any other tips I could have to help me improve it would be much appreciated.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/eh8t367j0qx9pjwr/sum/damageDone/?s=12391&e=12571
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I'm Australian and deal with a little bit of latency when I play - I'm also not the best at reading logs - am I hitting IS twice when I go to refresh it? I have a habit of mashing buttons when I play and yeah I have a feeling I'm wasting an ICD when I put my dots up. Is anyone able to have a quick look and tell me if this is what I'm doing?

Also I know it's a bad log - didn't have focus glythed and I don't think I had a food buff - the fire mage stole my DI - if there are any other tips I could have to help me improve it would be much appreciated.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/eh8t367j0qx9pjwr/sum/damageDone/?s=12391&e=12571

If you're playing with latency, which I suspect you are, you may opt to cast additional Wraths to offset the delay between the Eclipse-triggering Wrath and the actual Lunar Eclipse buff.

The amount of Starsurges cast are good (10.5sec average).
Starfall looks good, though you should try to hold it for Lunar Eclipse more often.
DOT uptimes are low. I'm not sure if that's due to the logs being wonky...since it's not displaying an entire Solar Eclipse phase.

As for hitting Insect Swarm twice...yes, I did find it in your logs.

query used:
{"spellNames": ["Insect Swarm"], "targetNames": ["Ultraxion"], "actorNames": ["Sapient"]}

[00:11:09.383] Sapient casts Insect Swarm on Ultraxion
[00:11:09.539] Ultraxion afflicted by Insect Swarm from Sapient
[00:11:10.477] Sapient casts Insect Swarm on Ultraxion
[00:11:10.553] Sapient Insect Swarm Ultraxion 6850
Edited by Cyous on 7/2/2012 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Druid
Thanks Cyous - I'm finding with my latency I don't get time to refresh my dots before I leave Solar - by the time I realise my last wrath has landed and I'm out of solar. When I do manage to refresh dots before leaving solar I try and do it before Natures Grace runs out - taking latency into consideration I usually do this at 18 solar energy.

I don't usually refresh my dots before leaving Lunar - I generally try and pray for good SS procs do you think I should try refreshing them more? - I usually have 2 or so casts of starfire after the dots fall of before I get to solar.

Sorry for all the questions - just feel really lost with my dps at the moment - and anxiously waiting ultra to drop his OH.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I suggest you download BalancePowerTracker (addon). If you do have that addon, make sure "Foresee Energy" is enabled.

Casting SS often is good, you just want to use it in Eclipse at least once.
Edited by Cyous on 7/2/2012 7:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
07/02/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Sapient
I don't usually refresh my dots before leaving Lunar - I generally try and pray for good SS procs do you think I should try refreshing them more

I think that actually works better than letting them fall off and having to hardcast to solar on a dotless target. On heroic ult I only found myself having to do it if I had a fading light in lunar, and if the next Hour of twilight was gonna happen before my entering Solar (and refreshing dots). Which seemed to happen fairly often to me =/

But anyways, the alternative is you wait for your dots to fall off while you're uneclipsed and then refresh them with non-eclipsed, non-NG buffed dots that get over-written in 5-6 seconds anyways, or you let them remain off the boss until you re-apply them in Solar, neither of which seem like they'd be better choices, although this is just intuition and no math.
Edited by Velaniz on 7/3/2012 8:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Druid

I think that actually works better than letting them fall off and having to hardcast to solar on a dotless target. On heroic ult I only found myself having to do it if I had a fading light in lunar, and if the next Hour of twilight was gonna happen before my entering Solar (and refreshing dots). Which seemed to happen fairly often to me =/

That's what I generally do. Just had a look at your logs - I'm jealous 40k eludes me. Maybe if I had a DI/Tricks/Berserk like you did I might get there one day :D
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I don’t know how it is possible but I somehow have an easier time DPSing on my demonology warlock than I do on my Balance Druid. Anyway for those willing to share their opinions and help I’ll try to be as informative as possible.

I’m constantly last in DPS, which in itself is not a problem as DPS is irrelevant. The real problem is damage done, in Heroic Ultraxion last night the top 3 in damage did 11m and I was at 9m with around 30k DPS. 2 million damage in difference is just too much, the most aggravating part is that our Restoration Druid went Balance for that fight and did like than 10.5 million. As of now I’m ilevel 401 and supposedly should be contributing with the same amount of damage.

Do not worry about reforge and gems, due to my MSc I was out of the game for a while and currently I’m being carried into heroic content, thus, have been getting gear at an alarming pace since everyone has nearly everything they need by now (last night I won 5 pieces, parted with 2 for the healer and trinket for the warlock, the rest I had to gem and reforge in like 3 minutes for heroic spine attempt. Meaning I know my hit is out of whack and stuff).

As such, today with more time I’ll use that Mr. Robot site to help with reforge and buy the epic gems for my heroic gear. I logged of with Bottle of Wishes but I do have a 403 Will of the Unbinding.

Opening sequence:

Plant mushrooms and volcanic potion before the pull.
Throw dots
Starsurge
Starfall
Force of Nature
Starfire until eclipse
Detonate mushrooms

Here is my general behavior when fighting bosses:

Once I reach an eclipse I still cast one extra Starfire or one/two Wraths to make sure the buff registered as I read there is some sort of lagging between server and client.

Always use Starsurge as soon as it is off the cooldown or Shooting Stars activates, unless I’m one cast away of entering an eclipse (where I hold of a bit) or one cast away off leaving (where I cast the appropriate nuke and fire Starsurge immediately after) due to the lagging thing.

When entering an eclipse I put on both dots, Insect Swarm first, and when I’m one cast away from leaving they are 6 seconds away from fading so I clip them. This usually let’s me reach the next eclipse before having to refresh again.

Single target wise I must be doing something fundamentally wrong (given yesterday’s Heroic Ultraxion) so please if you can help, let me know.

Things that I know I can improve:

I managed to be half way to lunar side twice when black ooze came…..twice in a row….so yeah >.>
Not so used to playing anymore couldn’t throw mushrooms on Haggara while running around to blow them later.
On blackthorn I should stay on Solar for the entirety of the first phase right?

Last, I think someone in the raid mentioned about making a log. If he is willing to share I’ll see if I can get it today or tomorrow. If he can’t share it how does one go about making/acquiring a log?

Ps: If anything is not clarified enough, please let me know, english is not my birth language and I'll try to make it easier to understand. Also, happy 4th July for you guys : )
Edited by Delandw on 7/4/2012 7:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]