Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Troll Druid
07/04/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Delandw
Once I reach an eclipse I still cast one extra Starfire or one/two Wraths to make sure the buff registered as I read there is some sort of lagging between server and client.

This could be killing your DPS. Download Balance Power tracker and fall in love with its predictive eclipse energy feature. If ever an addon were compulsory for a spec, it would be BPT.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Opening sequence:

Plant mushrooms and volcanic potion before the pull.
Throw dots
Starsurge
Starfall
Force of Nature
Starfire until eclipse
Detonate mushrooms

Nope.

Place shrooms + Queue Treants
"3...2...1"
Treants + Pre-pot
Insect Swarm
Moonfire
Starfire x5
*Solar Eclipse*
Wrath + SS[proc] + Detonate || SS[hardcast] + Detonate
Don't refresh DOTs until they're falling off (< 1sec) or you're leaving Eclipse without applied DOTs (thus you want to refresh specifically for NG)

Always use Starsurge as soon as it is off the cooldown or Shooting Stars activates, unless I’m one cast away of entering an eclipse (where I hold of a bit)

Try waiting for 2 casts, not one.

When entering an eclipse I put on both dots, Insect Swarm first, and when I’m one cast away from leaving they are 6 seconds away from fading so I clip them. This usually let’s me reach the next eclipse before having to refresh again.

Never refresh DOTs if they still have plenty of time left on them.
Only clip your DOTs if they will not last to the next Eclipse (no DOTs rolling for ~3sec is fine if you're pushing Eclipse.)

I managed to be half way to lunar side twice when black ooze came…..twice in a row….so yeah >.>

Given you're sitting at less than 15 Solar Eclipse you can easily go from Lunar to Solar again. You need to know what Eclipse you want to be in for a situation. If you can push Lunar and come back to Solar in time, go for it. If you don't think you can, don't risk it.

Not so used to playing anymore couldn’t throw mushrooms on Haggara while running around to blow them later.

I can't offer any advice for 10H Hagara, as I raid 25H. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

On blackthorn I should stay on Solar for the entirety of the first phase right?

Yes.

Last, I think someone in the raid mentioned about making a log. If he is willing to share I’ll see if I can get it today or tomorrow. If he can’t share it how does one go about making/acquiring a log?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/u60qe9ze14khnaho/
^ your guild's logs for July 3rd.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
If you are not at the end of your eclipse, but NG is about to fall off, is it worth it to refresh the dots just before NG falls off and just go to the next eclipse from there?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
07/16/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Desiration
If you are not at the end of your eclipse, but NG is about to fall off, is it worth it to refresh the dots just before NG falls off and just go to the next eclipse from there?

That should never happen. In this case, you'd keep casting until you're about to leave Eclipse. ~3-6 ticks is much better than 1 tick and a probable refresh out of Eclipse.
Edited by Cyous on 7/16/2012 12:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
What trinkets should I use? I have normal cunning, RF insignia and RF will of unbinding .. RF will of unbinding better than normal cunning for most fights?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
07/17/2012 04:31 PMPosted by Paranoìd
What trinkets should I use? I have normal cunning, RF insignia and RF will of unbinding .. RF will of unbinding better than normal cunning for most fights?

Every fight.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
07/17/2012 04:38 PMPosted by Cyous

Every fight.

Sweet, thanks
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I seem to be having DPS issues. Guild has started to do some herioc DS content, but for the life of me I am having problems getting dps up there like on Herioc Zon'ozz. I have to be missing something...I can do around 20-25k (that is too low). Depends how many times I get that debuff and need to move though. But they say people do herioc modes in lesser level gear...so I am not sure. If someone can look at my gear or any input would be really nice. Just at a lost...I know it isn't much to go by...anything is appreciated though. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
07/18/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Obelix
I seem to be having DPS issues. Guild has started to do some herioc DS content, but for the life of me I am having problems getting dps up there like on Herioc Zon'ozz. I have to be missing something...I can do around 20-25k (that is too low). Depends how many times I get that debuff and need to move though. But they say people do herioc modes in lesser level gear...so I am not sure. If someone can look at my gear or any input would be really nice. Just at a lost...I know it isn't much to go by...anything is appreciated though. Thanks.

Don't take anything personal, take it as feedback/auditing that you asked for.

~ ~ GEAR and ITEMS ~ ~
"Pass" means it's properly: Gemmed, Reforged(if needed), BiS item
Helm - PASS
Neck - PASS
Shoulders - This needs to be Balance T13
Back - PASS
Chest - Once you get your T13 Shoulders, you should replace this with Resto T13. It has more Haste.
Wrist - PASS

Hands - PASS
Waist - PASS
Legs - You should be using the Int/Spr leg armor.
Feet - PASS
Ring1 - Buy the Valor ring: Hit/Haste.
Ring2 - Try to replace with Ring of the Riven off Hagara (must be 397 or 410 version)
Trinket1 - PASS
Trinket2 - You should try to get Willing of Unbinding (390, 403, 416).

Relic - PASS
Weapon - Ti'tahk is arguably the worst weapon in DS for casters. Replace this even with a 397 Vagaries + 378 OH if you have these items. Of course, you should look to grab a 397/410 Lightning Rod (Hagara), a 397/410 Vagaries (Morchok) + 397/410 OH (Ultraxion).

~ ~ TALENTS AND GLYPHS ~ ~
1. Drop Lunar Shower. By putting 3/3 in Owlkin Frenzy, use the other 2 optional talent points anywhere (I suggest in Perseverance 2/3).
2. Glyph of Barkskin -- Remove this Glyph.
3. Glyph of Rebirth -- Add this glyph
4. [3rd Major Glyph] -- Optional; Suggested: Monsoon, Focus (Ultraxion only)

~ ~ Gameplay and Logs ~ ~
If you guild has any logs available to share, we could look through them and help you better your playing. Balance DPS isn't very easy to Min/Max, but we can certainly help you learn what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right. Fixing small errors does go a long way.
Edited by Cyous on 7/18/2012 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thank you so much! I will try to figure out how to get the logs and such. :D Again thanks for taking the time to help!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
07/18/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Obelix

Everything Cyous said, and also..

Are you doing 10 or 25 mans
If you are running 10 mans, check your buffs, if you are running with a bunch of rogues, priests, hunters, etc, and no caster/healer shamans, mages, locks (who are giving you dark intent), then your dps is going to be crap.
I found between a 5-8k dps difference when I did not have my shaman/mage in grp with me
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
T1 PvP dagger or LFR Rath'rak for boss fights? D;
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
07/28/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Ånimosity
T1 PvP dagger or LFR Rath'rak for boss fights? D;

Rath'rak, unless reforging the Crit to Haste in the T1 gives you a haste breakpoint (2639 with DI).
Edited by Cyous on 7/28/2012 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I too am having troubles with my dps being up to par, I was informed my dps isn't where it could or should be. Any help would be greatly appriciated, won't take any offense thats why i am reaching out to fellow druids for help:) Ty for you time guys!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
08/05/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Josalynn
I too am having troubles with my dps being up to par, I was informed my dps isn't where it could or should be. Any help would be greatly appriciated, won't take any offense thats why i am reaching out to fellow druids for help:) Ty for you time guys!

Gear Options:
CHEST - Use Resto tier
RELIC - Use Haste/Crit
RING2 - Valor (Spirit/Mastery) is better until you get something even better (Ring of the Riven/Signet of Suturing [both 397+] + Infinity Loop [410]).
NECK - Try to grab the Morchok neck (410)
WEAPON - Vagaries of Time (410) is better than your current Spr/Haste dagger (410).
WAIST - The VP belt (397) is better than your current belt from Hagara (397)
WRISTS - **Optional** Bracers of Flowing Serenity (397, crafted) grants more Haste at the expense of just a little Intellect. If you're near a Haste breakpoint after min/max'ing your gear, I suggest you use the crafted item to boost you beyond the breakpoint (2639 [with DI] + NG, 3101 [without DI] + NG)

As far as your gameplay goes, do you have any logs you could share with us?
Edited by Cyous on 8/5/2012 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I greatly appreciate your info , i will start at the top and start making changes. Ty again for taking the time to do this:)

I am headed into heroic tonight with my guild i will make sure to post up some logs to see if you can spot any mistakes or something else i can improve on or doing wrong.
Edited by Josalynn on 8/5/2012 4:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
here is the log from last night, hope i posted this correctly , any advice or help is always appriciated:) Ty again for taking the time to look.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/hdy8zl9059qgag8o/details/7/?s=2298&e=2929
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
here is the log from last night, hope i posted this correctly , any advice or help is always appriciated:) Ty again for taking the time to look.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/hdy8zl9059qgag8o/details/7/?s=2298&e=2929

Hmm...Heroic Spine wasn't what I was hoping for...but I'll search other logs.

Reviewing your character again, you need to fix your talents asap. I suggest you copy my Primary Moonkin talents (not Secondary--its a pvp one).
- 3/3 Nature's Grace
- 3/3 Owlkin Frenzy or [1/3 OKF + 2/2 Fungal Growth]

Looking at your July 31 kill of Ultraxion 10H:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-nn79m2n1n45s2406/details/7/?s=5510&e=5767

On your opener, you did:
Treants -> IS -> Starfall -> MF -> SS

Next time:
Treants -> Starfall -> IS -> MF -> Starfire x5 (until Eclipse)

Crawling through Logs: -- I couldn't get Eclipse to show up in the browser, meh.
[23:52:25.217] Josalynn's Nature's Grace fades from Josalynn
[23:52:25.280] Josalynn casts Sunfire on Ultraxion

This is during your first Solar Eclipse. You opted to cast Sunfire before Insect Swarm and thus missed a NG buffed DOT.

[23:52:25.280] Josalynn casts Sunfire on Ultraxion
... (18sec)
[23:52:45.733] Josalynn casts Moonfire on Ultraxion
... (15sec)
[23:53:00.466] Josalynn casts Moonfire on Ultraxion
[23:53:00.466] Josalynn gains Nature's Grace from Josalynn

33sec between Start Solar and Start Lunar is very, very slow.

~ = ~ = ~ = Overall = ~ = ~ = ~

You really need to focus on getting your DOTs corrected. You're cycling Eclipse very poorly and it's showing. Be sure always to cast Insect Swarm before Moonfire/Sunfire after you gain either Eclipse (but don't clip DOTs in the process). I strongly suggest you download a few addons: "BalancePowerTracker", "OmniCC", and "Power Auras Classic" . These addons, when set up properly will show information you need to have in order to play at higher levels. Feel free to ask questions about the addons listed.

~ = ~ = ~ = Tips and Tricks = ~ = ~ = ~
You should be able to push 35k with your current gear (and that's a "safe" estimate). Fixing talents, gear, and playing will net you a giant increase in damage. If you want to get better at Balance, you could go to the Training Dummies and spend an hour or two forcing yourself to play properly (personally, I've done this many times to adjust to the new haste levels and when/how I should refresh my DOTs). You can focus on DOT application and hardcasting slowly to get a feeling of what you should be casting.

Tricks:
If you can use Mushrooms before the boss fight...drop some shrooms and detonate them in Solar Eclipse.
For AOE, if you don't think you can cycle into another Solar Eclipse, don't risk it. You need about 25sec from End Solar to Start Solar (cycled).

Legend:
L = Lunar Eclipse energy
S = Solar Eclipse erngy
nL = Non-Lunar Eclipse energy
nS = Non-Solar Eclipse energy

Lunar Eclipse:
IS -> MF (100 L) -- You'll almost never need to refresh these DOTs until Solar Eclipse
Starfire (80 L)
Starsurge (65 L)
Starfire (45 L)
Starfire (25 L)
Starfire (5 L)
Starfire + Starsurge (Shooting Stars) -- (15 nS) -> (30 nS)
*End Lunar Eclipse*

Solar Eclipse:
IS -> SnF
Starsurge; else Wrath
Wrath; if no Starsurge
(save Starsurge if under 30 S)
Refresh Insect Swarm and Sunfire if less than 8sec remain on timers and about to leave Soalr Eclipse (< 15 S) --- (I use 10sec for Ultraxion). This is moot if you're under the effects of Bloodlust or IotCM (Haste trinket) for another 7+ sec.

Not in Eclipse:

Going to Lunar:
Starsurge if 'below' 75 nL -- else Wrath

Going to Solar:
Starsurge if 'at or below' 65 nS
Do not Starsurge if your energy is at an interval of 20 - - - (0, 20, 40, 60, 80) --- Mainly in the opener, you're just slowing down your Solar Eclipse buff by an unnecessary cast. Feel free to cast Starsurge whenever, unless otherwise noted.
Edited by Cyous on 8/6/2012 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I will take all this information and start applying my changes right away, i will practice more on target dummies to help me get more in tune with refreshing dots without doing it to early or to late, i thought that was probably one of my issues. I will download the addon's to help me out with process as well, and make the adjustments on my gear that was recommended. I really do thank you much for this info, now i can focus on my faults and fix my issues that are causing my dps to be low:) thanks again!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
08/06/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Josalynn
I will take all this information and start applying my changes right away, i will practice more on target dummies to help me get more in tune with refreshing dots without doing it to early or to late, i thought that was probably one of my issues. I will download the addon's to help me out with process as well, and make the adjustments on my gear that was recommended. I really do thank you much for this info, now i can focus on my faults and fix my issues that are causing my dps to be low:) thanks again!

Oh, drop Lunar Shower talent...it sucks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]