Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Worgen Druid
08/26/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Cyous
Go for the NG breakpoint -- wherever they may be

Anyone calculating the breakpoints for moP should be calculating them for NG always. The spreadsheet Tag posted definitely has only NG breakpoints.

And Korlek, yes, that also includes the moonkin aura. So the number you see in the spreadsheet is the number you need to have on your character sheet where it says "haste rating." Don't worry about any percentages.

edit: so, I scrolled back a few pages on the EJ thread and found confirmation of the basic crit > mastery > haste breakdown (not counting haste breakpoints). Granted, it's from a couple builds ago so things may have changed, but I don't think anything has changed that drastically.
Edited by Eluial on 8/26/2012 8:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
08/26/2012 08:51 PMPosted by Eluial
so, I scrolled back a few pages on the EJ thread and found confirmation of the basic crit > mastery > haste breakdown (not counting haste breakpoints). Granted, it's from a couple builds ago so things may have changed, but I don't think anything has changed that drastically.

Fair enough. I'll reforge for it :b
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
LEVEL 85 5.0.4 PVE GUIDE

K, standard stuff because I like to hear (see?) myself talk (type?).

Can't guarantee any of this is true, or will stay true for very long. Please point out things you think are wrong, or improvements/suggestions you have. Especially rotation advice.

I'd also like to thank some people. First, Cyous and Tagartou, two awesome guys with whom I'm sure most people on these forums are familiar. The haste breakpoints come from Tag, while Cyous wrote out the outline for the basic rotation. Plus, the both have helped a lot of people and have had many discussions with me and others that helped me figure stuff out.

Also, all the discussions in the beta moonkin thread and the EJ beta druid thread (that was commandeered by moonkins) have been amazing. I love this community. You guys all rock!

In this short guide I'm just trying to provide you with the basic numbery-type things you need to survive the next few weeks. For a much more detailed breakdown of all the moonkin-relevant changes, visit either (or both!) of these blogs:
http://www.restokin.com/2012/08/moonkin-5-0-survival-guide-for-mists/
http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/2012/08/level-85-patch-504-survival-guide.html

Stats
Int is (still) always better than everything else
Hit (til cap) > Haste (til closest breakpoint you can reach) > crit > mastery > haste above breakpoint

****Raid hit cap is now 15% (1537 rating)****

Haste breakpoints (include NG and moonkin aura)
2 ticks - 69 rating
3 ticks - 1589 rating
4 ticks - 3099 rating

Breakpoint spreadsheet (courtesy of Tagartou of Blackrock)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtT3sAEBV2QfdEtWeThnVWx4X3NoT29ZRGJjbkxjS0E#gid=0

All stat conversions are the same (they only change when you level). You can find them here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372177?page=1#4

Gems and Enchants
Red: Brilliant
Blue: Purified or Veiled
Yellow: Reckless if you need it to reach a breakpoint, Potent otherwise

Enchants are same as this list: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372177?page=1#5 except that if you take the Feline Swiftness talent (which you should), you can use either Enchant Boots - Mastery or Enchant Boots - Haste (haste if you need it for a breakpoint, mastery otherwise).

edit: Actually, glove enchants should also be changed to +65 mastery, with the same caveat about breakpoints as above.

Reforging
Even in BiS gear, it takes some work to reach the 3099 haste breakpoint, so I recommend going for 1589.

The way to do this is go to wowreforge.com and load up your character. If you're doing this before 5.0 actually launches, remove your idol from the list of gear. Then set up the bottom of the screen so it looks like this (all the numbers in the white boxes are the ones you need to worry about):
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/perturbedpenguin/reforgevalues.png
Hit optimize, and then reforge how it tells you to.

Glyphs
Glyph of the Moonbeast (allows you to heal in moonkin form) is the only mandatory moonkin glyph.

Other decent ones are:
Rebirth (Rebirthed players come back with 100% health - baseline is 60%)
Stampeding Roar (increases the range of Stampeding Roar)
Stampede (can cast Stampeding Roar in any form)

Talents
The only two tiers with DPS increasing options available to us right now are tier 1 and tier 4.

Tier 1 - you want Feline Swiftness because it allows you to change your boot enchant to either haste to reach a breakpoint, or mastery for more DPS. The talent *does* stack with the movement speed boot enchant, but for moving-out-of-fire purposes, that's fairly overkill.

Tier 4 - I believe even at level 85 Incarnation is going to be the biggest boost, but (and this applies to everything in this post) if you think you'll have more fun with either of the other two talents, go for it.

The other tiers are more utility, so take whatever you want. I'll probably be going with Nature's Swiftness, Typhoon, and Ursol's Vortex, personally.

Rotation and Spell usage
OK, so this section is going to be the most vague, because we're all kind of trying to figure this out together. But I'll try to give some general guidelines, and hopefully discussion can help fill in the gaps.

Cooldowns
Celestial Alignment (CA) gives us a 15s period of time where we benefit from both eclipse states, so basically every spell we cast is eclipse buffed. Incarnation increases our eclipse (and CA) damage by 25%. Both are on a 3m timer so you want to line them up always to get the most out of both of them.

The best time to use Incarnation is at the start of lunar eclipse, then CA as lunar ends, and then power through to solar for the tail end of Incarnation. Obviously both are even more powerful when lined up with heroism/lust.

So, a CD-buffed rotation would look something like this:
Reach Lunar
Incarnation
Starfall
SnF
MF
SS > Starfire
once lunar fades, CA
Starfall when the previous one fades
MF (clipping, since it applies SnF and both will be eclipse buffed)
SS > Starfire until CA fades and you reach solar
DoTs when previous ones have <1s
SS > wrath

Thanks to Cyous of Illidan for providing a basic rotation breakdown.

Beginning combat
In most cases you want to use Astral Communion (AC) to get 25 energy away from lunar eclipse. If heroism is going to be used on the pull, or more than 3 mins into the fight, you want to use your CDs right away. When starting this way, the first thing you want to cast is starfall, then wrath to proc lunar, and then you can fall into the CD rotation above, just making sure that you don't clip your starfalls.

Also, still make sure you have mushrooms pre-placed and all that jazz.

Movement
Meh. Drop mushrooms if that's an option (as in, you know where the boss will be when you stop moving). You can also spam a DoT if necessary, just make sure you're never replacing an eclipsed dot with a non-eclipsed one. Or use a SS proc.

AoE/multi-target
AoE will consist of pre-placed shrooms if you know where they will be ahead of time (like Yorsahj's adds) and hurricane or astral storm. It's still better to be in solar for AoE, but it's not as painful as before, so don't fret it if you're caught in lunar.

If you have a secondary kill target, it *might* be worthwhile to dot it up once per eclipse. But this is something I'm not very sure about at this point.

---------------------------

Dunno if there's anything else. That's all I got for now.
Edited by Eluial on 8/28/2012 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Hah! Don't need this post anymore because Zarhym rocks!
Edited by Eluial on 8/28/2012 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
@lvl90

What are the Haste Breakpoints?

Found it!
http://www.totemspot.com/images/hastebreakpointcards/druidbalance.jpg

@ Elu-ee-alui-al.
It looks very clean, nice work :)
Edited by Cyous on 8/26/2012 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hrmm, how sure are we that it's

Hit to cap>Haste to NG breakpoint>Crit>Mastery>Haste

Others I've seen suggest Hit>haste to breakpoint>crit>>haste>mastery even past the last reachable breakpoint.

Those others being Cyous and Tag, so I suppose their weighing in on the information presented may negate the earlier information.
Edited by Grymmlocke on 8/27/2012 3:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My chart has lvl 90 too, you just have to change the 85 to a 90.

And I will defer to the stat weights found on EJ being right. Mine was based on very little math, just a few simcraft runs. For the record I will always defer to EJ as they do serious math and I do lazy math, and usually my lazy math is done with formulas made up by them.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Awesome information. :) Thanks for putting that together Eluial. Gonna try this stuff out on tues. :D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My chart has lvl 90 too, you just have to change the 85 to a 90.

And I will defer to the stat weights found on EJ being right. Mine was based on very little math, just a few simcraft runs. For the record I will always defer to EJ as they do serious math and I do lazy math, and usually my lazy math is done with formulas made up by them.

...It's like I'm taking a survey with your spreadsheet...

I'm not used to programming with "Yes/No," I'd much prefer 0/1...but hey! It works for others too.
Edited by Cyous on 8/27/2012 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey, guys and girls! I typed up a dumbed down version of Cyous's and Eluial's spell rotation post (page 43) to share with my realm-mates, and I thought I would share it here too in case anyone else here or in your guild is as fail as me. Lol. I had to read his post like 5 times to fully get it.

I'm just slow like that...

Edit: moved to Druid forum http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412495232?page=1#12

Cyous and Eluial, thanks so much for putting such great info out there for everyone!
Edited by Phaydre on 8/30/2012 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
i did the exact reforging wowreforge told me, after changing those values and removing my relic, and i ended up with 19% hit, not really sure what happened there, i was at 17% using the live priority, does wowreforge account for spirit being equal to hit correctly?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
08/27/2012 02:16 PMPosted by Luno
i did the exact reforging wowreforge told me, after changing those values and removing my relic, and i ended up with 19% hit, not really sure what happened there, i was at 17% using the live priority, does wowreforge account for spirit being equal to hit correctly?

Did you make sure to change the haste after cap priority so it's the same as its above cap priority? I had the same problem when I told it haste's after cap priority was 0.

I mean, really, you probably don't actually have to even worry about the haste cap at the bottom, as it's pretty difficult to go lower than 2k, even reforging all of it off.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
When we are closer to the 1589 haste breakpoint, are our spells fast enough to be able to cycle through Eclipse states without clipping DOTs? Or are we relying on having more crit to make up for the difference? I think right now I've reforged down to about 2,000 or so haste that I can do without dropping my resto set's haste too low due to shared pieces.
Edited by Lissanna on 8/27/2012 4:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Hey, guys and girls! I typed up a dumbed down version of Cyous's spell rotation post (page 43) to share with my realm-mates, and I thought I would share it here too in case anyone else here or in your guild is as fail as me. Lol. I had to read his post like 5 times to fully get it.

I'm just slow like that...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413262941#7
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413262941#8

Cyous, thanks so much for putting such great info out there for everyone!

Nature's Vigil is a level 90 talent, so it won't be available with 5.0, just as a heads up, since it's one of the things you list under your important spells.

edit: also from your post
Ideally, you will start a fight at 75 pre-Lunar energy (moving toward Lunar eclipse.) Now, I haven’t yet figured out how we’re supposed to do that. Should we duel outside the entrance after a wipe?? I’ll get back to you on that… Anyway…

Use the ability Astral Communion, which is a channeled spell that gives us eclipse energy.
http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=127663

08/27/2012 04:31 PMPosted by Lissanna
When we are closer to the 1589 haste breakpoint, are our spells fast enough to be able to cycle through Eclipse states without clipping DOTs? Or are we relying on having more crit to make up for the difference? I think right now I've reforged down to about 2,000 or so haste that I can do without dropping my resto set's haste too low due to shared pieces.

I'm surprised you were even able to get it that low. The lowest I could get it without going way over hit cap was around 2300.

I just did a little testing on beta - my gear is a little different there than on live, and I didn't feel like doing another transfer just for tonight. So I had 2522 haste rating. I was finding that the eclipsed dot almost never fell off before the next eclipse (so an eclipsed MF stayed on til solar), and sometimes even carried on well into the next eclipse, depending on how lucky I got with crits. The uneclipsed dot sometimes fell off 1-2 casts away.

With SotF, though, neither dot fell off before the next eclipse (typically).

----------------
Just realized, there's a +65 mastery enchant to gloves. Assuming you dont need it for breakpoints, the haste enchant should probably be changed to this.
Edited by Eluial on 8/27/2012 6:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid

I'm surprised you were even able to get it that low. The lowest I could get it without going way over hit cap was around 2300.

I just did a little testing on beta - my gear is a little different there than on live, and I didn't feel like doing another transfer just for tonight. So I had 2522 haste rating. I was finding that the eclipsed dot almost never fell off before the next eclipse (so an eclipsed MF stayed on til solar), and sometimes even carried on well into the next eclipse, depending on how lucky I got with crits. The uneclipsed dot sometimes fell off 1-2 casts away.

With SotF, though, neither dot fell off before the next eclipse (typically).

----------------
Just realized, there's a +65 mastery enchant to gloves. Assuming you dont need it for breakpoints, the haste enchant should probably be changed to this.

My moonkin set is down to 2089. My resto set needs to be at around the 2005 haste cap, so I have a lot of resto pieces that don't favor haste as much (balancing out the 2 sets was the tricky part with resto favoring more spirit now, lol). If you can make the 3099 haste breakpoint, you should definitely go for that. I also still have a lot of normal-mode gear due to not being able to raid as consistently this summer.
Edited by Lissanna on 8/27/2012 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
08/27/2012 04:25 PMPosted by Eluial

Did you make sure to change the haste after cap priority so it's the same as its above cap priority? I had the same problem when I told it haste's after cap priority was 0.

I mean, really, you probably don't actually have to even worry about the haste cap at the bottom, as it's pretty difficult to go lower than 2k, even reforging all of it off.

ahh missed that 1 after the haste calculator :)
Reply Quote
08/27/2012 05:00 PMPosted by Eluial
Nature's Vigil is a level 90 talent, so it won't be available with 5.0, just as a heads up, since it's one of the things you list under your important spells.

Ok, I added a couple notes about that. Thanks for letting me know! For some reason the wowhead page said it "requires level 25"

Use the ability Astral Communion, which is a channeled spell that gives us eclipse energy.
http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=127663

Great to know! I edited my post to add this too. Thanks again!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
08/27/2012 04:25 PMPosted by Eluial

I'm at 1957.

I bought the other VP cape like a champ, and hope to score the Vanq chest this next week.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
08/27/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Cyous
I bought the other VP cape like a champ, and hope to score the Vanq chest this next week.

Good call on the cloak, gonna grab that, too. I put on my Treads of Sordid Screams, and will try and grab a chest if that drops. But knowing my luck it won't, even though we always get nothing but vanq usually.

I'm at 2088 right now, with the gem and reforge changes. I didn't get a chance to change my glove enchant, though.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Oh right...enchants...1857 now. WTB Infinity Loop... >:C DE'd 4 of them suckers...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]