Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

Question about the solar and lunar eclipse, which spells benefits from solar and which spells from lunar?

Solar is wrath, sunfire and wild mushrooms?
And lunar is moonfire, starsurge and starfire?

Am i missing some, please help me optimize my dps.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Question about the solar and lunar eclipse, which spells benefits from solar and which spells from lunar?

Solar is wrath, sunfire and wild mushrooms?
And lunar is moonfire, starsurge and starfire?

Am i missing some, please help me optimize my dps.

Solar will buff all nature spells. Those are:
Wrath
Mushrooms
Hurricane
Insect Swarm
Sunfire
Typhoon

Lunar will buff all arcane spells. Those are:
Starfire
Moonfire
Starfall

Starsurge benefits from both eclipses.

If you're ever unsure about a particular spell you can look at the tooltip to see what kind of damage it deals. If it says nature, it's affected by solar. If it says arcane, it's affected by lunar.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Alright thanks, I'm Gruto. Great guide btw :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Haste breakpoints where we gain extra DoT ticks (3/3 Genesis and Moonkin Form):
11th tick - 11.11% - 1423
12th tick - 21.7% - 2778 - 746 w/NG
13th tick - 32.28% - 4139 - 1929 w/NG
14th tick - 42.86% - 5486 - 3101 w/NG

I have a small question about this. . .
Does the % or the number matter more?

My boomkin has 22.72% haste but thats only 2161 Rating
Edited by Doomcat on 7/20/2011 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Well, to answer your actual question, it's the rating you want to focus on to reduce confusion.

But, the percentages listed there are outside of moonkin form.

2161 rating = 16.88% haste, and you get 5% from moonkin form, so

1.1688 * 1.05 = 1.2272 which is 22.72%
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Well now I feel stupid, thanks Eluial.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Really have to say as a former kitten gone space chicken that I never knew how complicated it was to be a laser rooster. I've taken two days and really crammed and hope that I can finish off my chants tonight and focus on getting into the raid game again.

I want to say thank you for the great guide and helping me, along with people in-game and The Moonkin Repository for helping me get my Doom & Boom ready to go!

EDIT: Hai Teranin
-Warsn
Edited by Fteneq on 7/20/2011 3:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
95 Troll Druid
I think the easy dps stereotype comes from wrath, which was just spam spell til shiny proc, spam other spell repeat. People that haven't played the spec don't really know that the difference between a well played moonkin and a poorly played one is so great. On my other classes I can play perfectly and finesse out 500 more dps, on this guy I can get more than 3k by playing right. The difference is night and day, but most people think that all there is to moonkin is spam the right spell over and over.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Whats sad is when you get a hunter that says "I've looked at Boomkin, your doing it wrong"
Then proceeds to tell you things that make you cringe at the thought of EVER doing

Then when you top the charts, again, and he asks for meters he expects you to thank him.

Edit: As you can tell, I recently ran into a bad hunter
Edited by Doomcat on 7/20/2011 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Sorry but could anymore please go over my armory and tell me of any changes I need to make. I am a little confused on what to reforge. This would be very helpful, thanks.

I don't know what to reforge my chest piece to.
Edited by Orlém on 7/20/2011 9:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Would getting one piece of T12 be more beneficial then having the T11 4 piece bonus?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
07/20/2011 09:43 PMPosted by Necrolouis
Would getting one piece of T12 be more beneficial then having the T11 4 piece bonus?

I don't believe so unless you were also rocking a few more offset 378 pieces. Think it was up on the Moonkin Repository thread from the OP.
Reply Quote
95 Troll Druid
It depends on the piece you are replacing. If you are trading up a crit/mastery piece for a piece with spirit or haste and mastery(or spirit/haste) then absolutely. However if you are tradibg in good stats for bad ones, I'd hold off til 2t12. But just for reference, when 4.2 dropped I replaced heroic t11 chest with heroic scorched wyrmling vest and saw a dps upgrade.

As an addendum I would say always replace 359 gear with 378 gear.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Sorry but could anymore please go over my armory and tell me of any changes I need to make. I am a little confused on what to reforge. This would be very helpful, thanks.

I don't know what to reforge my chest piece to.

You can reforge like this:
http://wowreforge.com/US/Deathwing/Orl%C3%A9m?reforge=5354--54--75--030453----43--54--05&crit=1.3971&dodge=0&exp=0&haste=2.0538&hit=2.5381&mastery=1.634&parry=0&spi=0

to get to exactly 17% hit and maximize your haste. Where ever it says to reforge something to hit, you can choose either hit or spirit (unless the item already has one or the other on it).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You can reforge like this:
http://wowreforge.com/US/Deathwing/Orl%C3%A9m?reforge=5354--54--75--030453----43--54--05&crit=1.3971&dodge=0&exp=0&haste=2.0538&hit=2.5381&mastery=1.634&parry=0&spi=0

to get to exactly 17% hit and maximize your haste. Where ever it says to reforge something to hit, you can choose either hit or spirit (unless the item already has one or the other on it).

I've looked at that site before but I just don't understand how to read it.
For example, for my tier chest piece it says (106 mastery -> hit) I assume that's the reforge I'm supposed to do? Sorry I'm such a noob with this, it's really hard to follow. And why do I reforge some of my crit to mastery? I thought mastery was un needed.

Also, is it that important for me to be hit capped even though I don't raid?
Edited by Orlém on 7/21/2011 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
95 Troll Druid
07/21/2011 12:37 PMPosted by Orlém
for my tier chest piece it says (106 mastery -> hit) I assume that's the reforge I'm supposed to do?
yep, you can also switch it to expert view and it shows which stat to minus and which to add in.

And why do I reforge some of my crit to mastery? I thought mastery was un needed.
Crit is even worse, its our worst stat. So when an item already has haste and you're hit capped, reforge the less desirable stat to a better one.

Yes, but you only need 615 rating for heroic 5s.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Well, the hit cap is lower if you're not raiding. I just saw that you were gaining a lot of epic gear and assumed you were trying to break into raiding. If you're not going to raid, like Tag said all you need is 615 rating.
Edited by Eluial on 7/21/2011 2:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Ok, thank you guys.

One last thing. Should I replace one of my trinkets? I have Core of Ripeness and Anhuur's Hymnal. There is the Soul Casket from the JP vendor. Should I replace one of those two for the Soul Casket?

Edited by Orlém on 7/21/2011 3:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Ok, thank you guys.

One last thing. Should I replace one of my trinkets? I have Core of Ripeness and Anhuur's Hymnal. There is the Soul Casket from the JP vendor. Should I replace one of those two for the Soul Casket?

Yeah, soul casket is going to be better than your core of ripeness due to the on-use effects. On the soul casket, just reforge the mastery to haste.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Guh, I am so nooby with all these questions :P. When should I be using Starsurge? Everytime it's available or everytime it procs?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]