Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

90 Worgen Druid
07/21/2011 04:05 PMPosted by Orlém
Guh, I am so nooby with all these questions :P. When should I be using Starsurge? Everytime it's available or everytime it procs?

Almost all the time, it's going to be best to just use it as soon as it's up, whether it's a proc or not. I wouldn't worry too much about holding it for various things. If, after a while, you're feeling like a moonkin pro, you can start to look into times when it might be better to hold on to a proc for a few seconds. But for now, just use it on CD.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
So why do we put Lavawalking on our boots instead of a haste enchant?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
07/21/2011 05:27 PMPosted by Orlém
So why do we put Lavawalking on our boots instead of a haste enchant?

Because it has a speed boost.

The faster you get out of the fire, the more time you spend dpsing.
Reply Quote
95 Troll Druid
We use lavawalker because we have no inherent move speed increase and less time moving is more time pewpewing. However for 5s haste should serve you better.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Do you know when you are doing everything all right and it doesn't go as expected? This is my DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
07/22/2011 10:56 AMPosted by Reidaselva
Do you know when you are doing everything all right and it doesn't go as expected? This is my DPS.

You're not hit capped. You can be hit capped and still remain above the 1929 haste break point.

You should work on getting more haste gear so you can replace your boot enchant and relic gem, too.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Is there a cap for haste? If so, what is it?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I believe the posts cover the haste cap, I could be wrong.

@Eluial I have been following your guide, trying to get my boomkin up to speed after being resto for a bit and cant seem to break 13k on a dummy or 16k in a random troll with the 15% buff. Is the normal for my gear or should I be doing more?
Reply Quote
95 Troll Druid
07/25/2011 01:02 AMPosted by Orlém
Is there a cap for haste? If so, what is it?
Technically yes, but you don't have to worry about it this tier, and likely not for the entire expansion because it is so high.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
07/25/2011 08:19 AMPosted by Yukinon
@Eluial I have been following your guide, trying to get my boomkin up to speed after being resto for a bit and cant seem to break 13k on a dummy or 16k in a random troll with the 15% buff. Is the normal for my gear or should I be doing more?

Looks like you logged out in your feral gear. I can't see anything wrong with your spec or glyphs.

With 13-14k (14k * 1.15 = 16k), I'd expect to see a mix of 346 blues and 359 epics, possibly with more epics than blues. Depends if that 16k in heroics is your overall, or your single target.

Maybe log off in your balance gear/spec and talk a little more about what you do when you dps?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
ok
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Well, you can gain a bit more haste by reforging correctly (go to wowreforge.com and load yourself up, set hit to exactly 1742 at the bottom, and hit optimize).

I'd say the biggest part of your problem is your first trinket. If you can afford it, pick up a DMC: volcano.

A couple of your enchants/gems aren't optimal, but if you get the DMC:V, you'll be so close to a haste breakpoint that it might be worth it to keep them as is until you can get more haste from your gear.

What buttons do you push when?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Follow the standard rotation and pop Starfall whenever it is up and hit starsurge whenever it procs, refresh dots as needed.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
What profession do you think is better.
Herbalism - gives Lifeblood 480 haste (2 min cooldown)
Jewelcrafting - 3 +67 intellect gems (+81 intellect)

The reason I ask is because I am considering changing from herbalism to jewelcrafting. The herbalism buff isn't used all the time while the +81 intellect is always there. Plus it's one less button to press.

What do you think?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
07/25/2011 11:34 AMPosted by Yukinon
Follow the standard rotation and pop Starfall whenever it is up and hit starsurge whenever it procs, refresh dots as needed.

Not sure. The more you say, the more help people can give. If you think there might be a problem, posting logs always helps. Otherwise, just make the changes I said above and see if that helps.

What profession do you think is better.
Herbalism - gives Lifeblood 480 haste (2 min cooldown)
Jewelcrafting - 3 +67 intellect gems (+81 intellect)

The reason I ask is because I am considering changing from herbalism to jewelcrafting. The herbalism buff isn't used all the time while the +81 intellect is always there. Plus it's one less button to press.

What do you think?

Any of the crafting professions are better than any of the gathering professions as far as raiding bonuses go. If you have the gold/ability to level JC, the bonus is definitely a lot better than the haste bonus from lifeblood.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I decided to start building up my Moonkin set and took the advice in this thread.

Does anyone know if there are any good addons that track the Moonfire and Insect Swarm dots? I get the rotation where you wrath spam until you get to 100 then you starfire spam till you get 100 of the other kind but I always end up missing the dot refreshes.

Seems the only addons I can find do a lot more than I want them to. I just want a little flash or something reminding me it's time to refresh dots.

Even with this problem though I can easily pull 10k DPS in subpar gear which I guess is okay for a beginner. I pull over 15k though while tanking but sometimes there's already a tank and I feel silly going kitty dps with all my tank gear with dodge and stam boosts.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I decided to start building up my Moonkin set and took the advice in this thread.

Does anyone know if there are any good addons that track the Moonfire and Insect Swarm dots? I get the rotation where you wrath spam until you get to 100 then you starfire spam till you get 100 of the other kind but I always end up missing the dot refreshes.

Seems the only addons I can find do a lot more than I want them to. I just want a little flash or something reminding me it's time to refresh dots.

Even with this problem though I can easily pull 10k DPS in subpar gear which I guess is okay for a beginner. I pull over 15k though while tanking but sometimes there's already a tank and I feel silly going kitty dps with all my tank gear with dodge and stam boosts.

There are lots of options for dot trackers. I use classtimer, which is just a set of timer bars for different abilities. You can turn off the ones you don't want to see.

To get something to flash at you when you need to refresh dots, I'd suggest power auras, though. It's a bit more complicated to set up, but very useful for a LOT of different things.

As a side note, if you've done things more or less correctly, I believe your bear gear should be perfectly reasonable for cat - a lot of the gems, enchants and reforges are the same. Mainly you'd replace trinkets and meta gem (and possibly not even both trinkets).
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Two questions:
Basic rotation:
IS -> MF -> SS -> whatever nuke you need to get you to eclipse

I don't understand this, with 14.89 mastery it seems IS is a ton better than SnF for solar eclipses. SnF does 20364 damage while IS does a whole 10k more damage at 30976. In a lunar eclipse, MF is better by like 100 damage. Shouldn't we be doing moonfire / SnF first to let IS get the NG buff?

2. Aside from my lack of enchants, how is my gear / gemming / reforging looking? I feel my trinkets are bad, since they are both on-uses instead of an equip, but trinkets confuse me in which is better.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Just out of curiosity, I pulled around 26.5k today on Baleroc normal.

Should I be pulling more with my gear? or does that seem about right.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6w3up1ir11xrufug/sum/damageDone/?s=13926&e=14194

^ link to the fight
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]