- Table of Contents (You're reading this, right now.)
- What this aims to accomplish, and for who
- What is "Great Roleplay" and a "Great Roleplayer"?
- Lore Accuracy
- Start from the beginning, and finish at the end.
- Goals: What do I want?
- Step One: So many choices, what to go for first?
- A shattered mirror: all the pieces of the character that make a whole
- What's my Story?
- Who do I know?
- What do I do?
- What -am- I?
- Step Two: Socialites and Interacting with the Public
- Racial Backgrounds and Stereotypes
- Social Mores and Laws
- Radicals (fanatics) and Moderates (conservatives)
- Who shaped my opinions? (The effect of family on perceptions)
- Step Three: An Empty Mind
- Filling your Character's Head
- Emptying your Character's Head
- Personality Traits
- Physical Habits and Mannerisms
- Step Four: An Empty Life
- I've got personality but no lifestyle!
- Real world activities vs. "What I can do in WoW"
- My class, and how it relates to me
- My professions, giving me more than a fat/empty wallet.
- Using class and profession to add to a character's dynamics.
- Touching bases: How class and profession relate to my society.
- Education: What do I know, and who taught me?
A final wrap up to your character's story.
- Step Five: Hey everybody, come see how good I look!
- Physical Appearance and Characteristics
- Start big, then go small
- Descriptive words
- Touching bases (again): Society and tattoos, piercings, ect.
- Describing my Garb (what do I wear?)
- Affiliations and Dressing (who do I know and how does that effect my dress?)
- Final Step: Affiliations and my place in the world
- Who am I now? (ranks, titles, and other affluential tomfoolery)
- In closing:
- Final Tips
- From Hero to Zero: How good characters fall to pieces.
- A thank you
Roleplaying 101 - Yet another jerk telling you how to play your game. An Introduction:
Welcome to roleplaying 101! This will be yet another thread where someone tells you in a stuck up and haughty manner why you suck at rp and how to fix it. It's your $15 a month, so by all means ready the flamethrowers and burn this thread to the ground.
In all seriousness if that's your views, feel free to go read another thread. If you want to learn, well hopefully I can teach you something in my handful of years of roleplay. If I can't teach you something, well I can say I tried. And if I can't say that, I can at least say I wasted a good chunk of time facerolling this keyboard for you all.
For those of you that dislike long threads: that's too bad. I'm writing this thread for a guild myself and a friend are planning on creating after seeing some of the roleplay within this server and deciding we wanted to control our exposure to the community in order to create a roleplay environment rich in immersion and character development that pertains to lore accuracy.
If your reaction at this point revolves around the word "elitist" you're probably right.
For those of you who I haven't chased off yet: lets cut to the chase! The very...very long chase.
What this aims to accomplish, and for who:
Who am I talking (typing) to in this thread? To anyone who wants to expand their roleplaying character to be a rich and developed individual, who feels like a real person who actually exists in the "World of Warcraft". Someone who grew up here, developed their mind here, and would contribute to the society here.
Who this doesn't pertain to:
What this thread aims to accomplish is to be a comprehensive guide to creating a character who is fully developed and inserted into this game's lore. This thread may not be for the casual roleplayer or someone who is not really interested in making a basal rp character to throw bombs in the pig and whistle, and stare harshly at all the non-paladins in the Cathedral, or ERP as a female draenei.