Status on the API?

90 Gnome Death Knight
I haven't seen much in the way of updates in this forum for over a week. Have the guild/character/etc api's been updated/released yet? I've been putting off an overhaul of my guild's website for quite some time now, I'm anxious for this API to be fully released so I can get crackin' on it.
Reply Quote
MVP
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
The only API currently out is the Realm Status API. Straton gave a small explanation about a week ago of what's left:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2580678774?page=1#11
Blizzard Employee
The API resources to be released have been finalized and we are working through one last character achievements bug before it is to be made public. We've also got most of the documentation for it complete as well, although I'm hesitant to make the documentation public before the API resources.
Reply Quote
- Diablo Fans
80 Human Paladin
First, thank you so much for all the time you put into the replys straton, its nice to know whats going on.

I understand your hesitant to make the documentation public first... but it would be of great help.. Will be able to start working on site modifications sooner. Regardless, thank you for your time and work!

edit: hi sixen! (its mol =P )
Edited by Fearinlight on 6/27/2011 7:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Can somebody explain to me what these API's are? What do they do exactly?
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
06/27/2011 07:46 PMPosted by Josephf

I'll quote the soon-to-be-released documentation.

The Blizzard Community Platform API provides a number of resources for developers and Wow enthusiasts to gather data about their characters, guilds and arena teams. This documentation is primarily for developers and third parties.

Blizzard's epic gaming experiences often take place in game, but can lead to rewarding and lasting experiences out of game as well. Through exposing key sets of data, we can enable the community to create extended communities to continue that epic experience.
Reply Quote
MVP
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
06/27/2011 04:07 PMPosted by Straton
The API resources to be released have been finalized and we are working through one last character achievements bug before it is to be made public. We've also got most of the documentation for it complete as well, although I'm hesitant to make the documentation public before the API resources.

Cool, thanks for the update Straton. As far as making the documentation for the API public first, I don't see why not. Sure, some people may complain about what we can/cannot do, but at least those of us really interested can read up on what there will be, so we can start making the base of any kind of apps we want.

06/27/2011 07:10 PMPosted by Fearinlight
edit: hi sixen! (its mol =P )

o/.
93 Blood Elf Paladin
06/27/2011 09:42 PMPosted by Sixen
Cool, thanks for the update Straton. As far as making the documentation for the API public first, I don't see why not. Sure, some people may complain about what we can/cannot do, but at least those of us really interested can read up on what there will be, so we can start making the base of any kind of apps we want.

I agree it would be nice to see it ahead of time but also consider that, in any complex system, it would be improper to release the documentation before they're finished. Doing so when there are still changes to be made may lead developers to improperly prepare their applications and, as a result, could lead to bugs or other stability problems.

Not to mention the fact that Blizzard would essentially be signing off on things that would soon change, and we all know how that's not high on their list.
Reply Quote
11 Troll Hunter
06/27/2011 07:46 PMPosted by Josephf

tl;dr version: It allows you to make addons OUTSIDE the game :)
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
Really hope we see it very soon. Seems like we have been waiting for ever. Very excited to start making web services with the API.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Agreed..

And is this something I can expect within a week? Month?
Reply Quote
MVP - Battle.net APIs
100 Night Elf Hunter
They have the documentation ready and have 1 or 2 more issues to resolve last update they gave us..
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Which doesn't answer the question lol
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
06/28/2011 12:20 PMPosted by Shoap

tl;dr version: It allows you to make addons OUTSIDE the game :)

It pulls info from the armory to be displayed how you want on your site.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]