Ask The Devs #10 - Damage Dealing (Answers)

82 Human Mage
We appreciate the answers.

But is that it?
How about talking about another class that is not a shaman?

This ^^
85 Orc Hunter
Thanks for ducking hunter issues blizz.
83 Night Elf Druid
And shamans are fine in PvE.

Oh really.
85 Draenei Shaman
Q: Could you find a way to give a sense of responsibility to damage dealers as much as tanks and healers already have in instances? – Raghnar (EU-FR)

Well that stings. I asked that question, it appeared to be highly rated, the question gets selected, I get no credit, aaaaand the answer was iffy.

I'm just going to play rather than get upset about the answers. Blizz has acknowledged that AtD isn't working as intended, so I'll be an adult for once and hope that what comes next moves closer to what they/we want. Until then, god bless the intern asked to stay the weekend and monitor the fury. I'd guess a lot of folks are going off the wall right now.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
06/24/2011 09:01 AMPosted by Kaivax
As we mentioned recently, you can see Unholy DPS drop in 4.1 not because Unholy’s DPS was nerfed, but because so many good DKs switched from Unholy to Frost.

O.K. but why did all the good players go frost?!? They went frost b/c you Nerfed unholy... this blizzard employee is talking in circles.
100 Worgen Rogue
I've given up on expecting any kind of substantial tweaks to rogues. Like in previous expansions, Blizzard will make 50 minuscule tweaks instead of making 2 large ones. The reason for this? Under performing rogues means rogue community complains. Over performing rogues means everyone else complains about us.

The result of 50 small tweaks? We'll get balanced, but we'll get there 2 weeks before the next expansion...Blizzard's policies about melee dps are a hodge-podge of contradictions. My advice, if you are playing in a competitive guild, re-roll, else join a guild that wants to bring the player, not the class. You may not see all the content while its current, but at least you'll see it eventually...
Edited by Nychophysis on 6/24/2011 12:01 PM PDT
85 Draenei Shaman
Q: Could you find a way to give a sense of responsibility to damage dealers as much as tanks and healers already have in instances? – Raghnar (EU-FR)

Well that stings. I asked that question, it appeared to be highly rated, the question gets selected, I get no credit, aaaaand the answer was iffy.

I'm just going to play rather than get upset about the answers. Blizz has acknowledged that AtD isn't working as intended, so I'll be an adult for once and hope that what comes next moves closer to what they/we want. Until then, god bless the intern asked to stay the weekend and monitor the fury. I'd guess a lot of folks are going off the wall right now.

first off if your damage dealer and you don't feel you have enouph responsibility to begin with then you should rethink your class as for the guild i am in at least if your not using your blind,stuns,interrupts, anything you can to help your group not to wipe fights then go respec or just stop playing the game!
85 Troll Priest
Seriously, try Frost mages. Try Subtlety rogues. Their DPS is honestly pretty competitive.

Why would anyone want to try something that's competitive when they can just use something as simple and OP as arcane?
85 Human Mage
It’s also possible that some aspect of our testing doesn’t catch some factor that ends up suppressing Frost damage in the “real world” compared to our internal servers. That certainly happens sometimes.

Does your internal testing catch the fact that Brain Freeze still eats a proc of Fingers of Frost? Because this is a pretty serious bug
90 Human Warlock
06/24/2011 11:04 AMPosted by Payday
Top voted questions get answered. Low Warlock population would generally translate to fewer warlock questions voted.
So how in the name of hell did enhance shamans get that many questions?

Rogues are the second least played class, look at how many questions they got answered!
Edited by Brolan on 6/24/2011 12:04 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Did we really need 4 questions on shamans?
36 Undead Warlock
Was i the only one who was pretty satisfied with these answers? I guess i would feel different if i played a Shaman or Rogue or something...
90 Troll Shaman
Yet another tier where my guild ditches the "Bring the player not the class" idea, and I get left out due to how my class performs.....

I feel betrayed by Blizzard :/
85 Tauren Warrior
I think the Q&A was pretty decent.

I am glad they acknowledge shaman to be somewhat of a "hybrid" in the "Real" sense that you can be a spell caster, damage dealer, healer in 1 spec. I am glade they are working towards fixing the enhancement Unique style because i always think of enhancement as a bard, where you can focus on Raw (physical) or (Spell) damage, but also have enough compassion and love to toss a healing spell or 2.

The rogue part was slightly disappointing. I understand rogues are supposed to do more damage, but who cares about damage and rogues..

I wanted to know blizzard's Philosophy on how rogues should interect in PvE and PvP with their uniqeness. I mean Other damage dealers.... and rogue dealing damage is not unique.....but i enjoy some stealth action, some Crowd control action, and maybe some more interesting roles for rogue, other than damage.

Frost mage one was really good. Frost mages are pretty deadly in PvP but in PvE they are alright. 1 of the reasons people might go arcane and fire is because you don't NEED those slows, snares and roots in PvE Raiding and dungeons unlike PvP. Same goes for Rogue. Rogues and frost mage dps could be dependent on CC but fire and arcane just blast stuff to peices. Maybe bosses might be immune to stuns, slow effects, or other stuff, or maybe fire and arcane scale better from CRIT !

So i guess frost's set ups and cc are worthless to string into a DPS for PvE. Rogues may have the same problem. Just ...whack stuff...and posion and bleed em... Pretty much it. Rogue dps is pretty passive, *** unless you get a 10% damage bonus for 6 seconds for kicking a Boss or trashes spell to interrupt them ** or if you cast gouge on a boss you're next 2 attacks bypass 5% armor. You know more interecting stuff.
I think, maybe..rogues are too depedent of Auto attacks for DPS. Maybe, i don't know..

And DPS doing too much damage for threat...seems alright. Maybe DPS need patience lol. If every dps class a Threat reducing talent, than why use the Omen threat meter? Half the time tanks have to do DPS to build threat, while DPS have to spam threat reducing talents to reduce threat. Kind of an Oxymoron there.....

Good post blizzard, a little short but good. And for hunts, locks and others, don't worry, you're class "seems" fine. Seems* xD
Edited by Gigahorn on 6/24/2011 12:15 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]