Ask The Devs #10 - Damage Dealing (Answers)

90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Soooo....why didn't we get this kind of quality in our answers for ATD9?
85 Undead Death Knight
Enhance Shaman QQ paid off it seems. Lots and lots of questions for them.

If you're going to give DKs and Warriors the "no-threat-ability" 'flavor,' can we at least remove the fact that it's easier to generate aggro inside than outside melee range? And a lack of a key ability is not a flavor. Maybe if you made it slightly more complicated or unique (i.e. Mirror Image isn't actually a threat reduction but rather a threat 'throttle', Wind Shear is a slight threat reduction each cast, Vanish completely wipes the table but can only be used once or twice), it would be cool, but the complete lack of a necessary tool is not 'flavor.'
90 Worgen Druid
Also consider that all melee should want to get behind a target, and it hurts all of their DPS when they cannot. We have also made the alternatives to the positional requirements much less of a DPS loss than they used to be. If you go into your Mangle rotation instead of your Shred rotation, your DPS will drop, but not catastrophically.

Except those classes still get to use all of their abilities, while the specifically-mentioned classes cannot. The question wasn't about why we suffer for being in front of the boss, it's why we have to suffer more than other classes.

Thanks for the "just deal with it" answer.
90 Goblin Rogue
/shakes head
100 Human Paladin
06/24/2011 09:20 AMPosted by Mafic
I am perfectly fine with gradual, methodical approach with fine tunning rogue DPS, but I hope they understand that they may need to ramp up their subtle tweaks, towards more moderate tweaks in a future patch.

Scaling, and different boss mechanics might not make that necessary. The big issues was the overvaluing of target swapping and multi-dotting in this tier that made rogues seem less appealing. There were hardly any fights where any strength the class has really shined.

85 Blood Elf Warlock
Why were all the warlock design questions ignored?
100 Human Paladin

If you're going to give DKs and Warriors the "no-threat-ability" 'flavor,' can we at least remove the fact that it's easier to generate aggro inside than outside melee range? And a lack of a key ability is not a flavor. Maybe if you made it slightly more complicated or unique (i.e. Mirror Image isn't actually a threat reduction but rather a threat 'throttle', Wind Shear is a slight threat reduction each cast, Vanish completely wipes the table but can only be used once or twice), it would be cool, but the complete lack of a necessary tool is not 'flavor.'

You obviously need to re-read the post.

They specifically said they are probably going to give all DPS speccs a threat dump. They had been avoiding it for a while to prevent homogenization similar to the eternity it took them to give paladins an interrupt.
85 Draenei Shaman
06/24/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Kaivax
In the meantime, we’ve taken steps (and will continue to take them) to ensure that while spell power weapons might at times, with certain gear setups, remain an interesting alternative, they aren’t the strictly superior route.

I'm sorry, but switching weapons in AoE situations is not an "interesting alternative."

This ambiguity is exactly the kind of answer I did not want when I asked the question.
90 Gnome Mage
Was this intended to be mostly about shamans?
85 Human Death Knight
Granted, these answers were a bit more in-depth. But, I came here expecting sirloin and was served cardboard instead.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
06/24/2011 09:23 AMPosted by Corpseicle

No kidding. You would have thought with all the recent topics and threads and questions on hunters and warlocks they would have received a response at least like the rouge one and frost mage one. Just something to understand what is going on with their classes.
2 Gnome Warlock
Bandit Guile didn't need to be addressed again because it falls under the category of ramp up times, and why Blizz has such mechanics for balance purposes.

We have ramp up time in the form of combo points and deadly poison.

We didn't need more in the forum of that horrific talent. It's crippling for combat.
90 Night Elf Hunter
2 freaking weeks and not 1 hunter question! You have got to be crapping me!!!!
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
06/24/2011 09:28 AMPosted by Mafic
Shaman community asked very good questions, and they received some lengthy answers. I do not think the Shaman community will be completely satisfied, but they will have an idea of the perspective of the devs for sure.

Personally I don't think Shamans have a right to complain after what we got in ATD9.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]