Ask The Devs #10 - Damage Dealing (Answers)

90 Troll Hunter
Look, I appreciate the obvious effort put into answering. The length of the answers was a vast improvement over previous posts. Keep this kinda of length and description in mind with the new method in the works. Thanks for that at least
100 Human Priest
06/24/2011 09:01 AMPosted by Kaivax
Some can shoot flying dragons.

Am I the only one who read that and though "OMG, is that a hint at the 4.3 upgrade to Flintlocke's Woodchucker? I need to level my hunter *RIGHT NOW*"

...before realizing that he probably meant that some DPS can shoot *at* flying dragons?
85 Goblin Shaman
06/24/2011 10:07 AMPosted by Quirk
I think a lot of the problem with the answers may be the way the questions were formed. If someone had asked "How is it fair that one class can cast 1 spell and channel it to do more AoE damage than when I, a shaman, have to cycle through 6 different spells while weaving some multi-dotting magic nonsense just to keep up and actually do less damage?" we may have seen a response.
37 Blood Elf Paladin
06/24/2011 10:10 AMPosted by Mcslushy
If you ask me hunters are fine the way they are

A majority of the Hunter questions were related to PvP. Unless you've done several hundred Arena matches as a Hunter, please don't come in here and presume to say that Hunters are fine the way they are.
81 Draenei Shaman
06/24/2011 09:49 AMPosted by Elgreezy
Because they've already addressed it several times in the past. They don't design raid encounters to be equally optimized for melee and ranged. Sometimes a tier is going to favor one or the other (how quickly people forget ICC the melee chew toy) and they're okay with that.

icc favored melee? you couldn't do icc with 100% melee. you could with 100% ranged. the more ranged you had, the easier it was. the only exception was deathwhisper. that's not favoring melee.

06/24/2011 09:39 AMPosted by Defengar
THE TANKS GOT 16 ANSWER! Why did we get only 12??!?!!

all of our answers sucked.

06/24/2011 09:26 AMPosted by Raganrok
I'm sorry, but switching weapons in AoE situations is not an "interesting alternative."

i actually think it is. the idea of "oh an aoe phase is coming up, /equip spellweapon!" is pretty cool. but it shouldn't be mandatory. more of a "hey this weapon dropped, no casters are rolling, shammy do you want it for aoe phases". a bonus.

If you go into your Mangle rotation instead of your Shred rotation, your DPS will drop, but not catastrophically.

what am i reading
90 Orc Shaman
Those seem like the worst of the enhancement questions. Totem pet bar?? wtf. I want to know why Feral Spirit doesn't do anymore damage at 85 than 80.

Cool we got a buff for 4.2, but by the end of the tier we're going to be right back where we were before. (especially when you made changes that scale with weapon damage, but we're one of the few classes without a Ragnaros weapon).

I feel like that since there were quite a few highly ranked Enh Sham questions, you used the opportunity to pick and choose the ones you could deflect the easiest. Or make reference to changes you've made since the question was asked (that we had no knowledge of at the time).

I know I'm not going to get to get a legitimate response, but this is the perfect opportunity to say /bye to "Ask the Devs".

The idea is awesome, but we wait 3 weeks for answers that are just avoiding questions... you had to know that this was going to be disappointing, right?
85 Draenei Shaman
Q: Currently, Enhancement benefits greatly from mastery, but poorly from crit and haste; what solutions have you considered (aside from the previously mentioned possibility of 200% crits) to make these stats more attractive to Enhancement shaman, especially since the spec has such a high requirement for hit rating and expertise rating, making it harder to reforge into more mastery? – Wickedpissah (NA/ANZ)
A: As we’ve discussed in the past, any time a class has a meaningful portion of its damage only receiving 50% bonus critical damage, it’s going to be difficult for crit rating to be an attractive stat. We’d certainly prefer if haste were a more attractive stat for Enhancement shaman. For many other melee classes, the great value of haste lies in its ability to increase resource generation. Enhancement shaman are not generally limited by any resource, so aside from more auto-attack damage and Windfury/Flametongue procs, haste currently yields more Maelstrom Weapon charges. We’ve thought about taking steps to make Maelstrom Weapon a more central mechanic for the Enhancement shaman spec, which would in turn make haste potentially much more valuable, but don’t currently have any firm solution to announce.

You guys acknowledge that you'd like to have haste be attractive to Enhance again BUT in other words, you don't know what in the world to do with Crit/Haste for Enhancement?
85 Night Elf Warrior
06/24/2011 09:39 AMPosted by Defengar
THE TANKS GOT 16 ANSWER! Why did we get only 12??!?!!

# of questions in AtD != # answered
85 Tauren Druid
If i would have waited another week would there had been more questions?......
78 Goblin Rogue
Q: Are there any plans to reduce ramp-up times and RNG for certain specs? IE shadow orbs can not proc for quite a while sometimes, hindering our DPS. Xista (NA/ANZ), Whitewnd (KR)
[ul]A: We generally introduce ramp-up time for two reasons. The first and most important is so players have a decision about when to switch targets. If there was zero cost for target swapping, then it would always be the right thing to do. We want to reward players, modestly, when they know when they should swap targets versus sticking with the original.

Then maybe you oughta stop making fights in which target swapping isn't a choice. Most of the time the swap is mandated by the mechanics of the fight - you either kill the add or die. That doesn't give the player any choice; it just punishes the group for bringing a damage dealer with a long ramp.
06/24/2011 10:19 AMPosted by Kagdar
When you like something a lot and it's not feaching your expectations you conplain

Ok agreed but if all you do is complain about your class then how is that you liking it if you want all these changes to make it ur perfect class it just seems like its gonna be a never ending cycle that is never gonna change like everyone says that frost mages are op as ever but thats because they cant beat them on there class so they do one of two things complain that there class needs to be fixed or the other class nerfed imo complaining is a useless way of sayin i hate how my class is changed it
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]