Point Conversion Sellback Policy

(Locked)

Community Manager
With the release of 4.3 all Valor Points will be down-converted to Justice Points, and all Conquest Points will be down-converted to Honor Points. To curb the ability to sell items back to the vendors after the conversion for the higher currency, we’re instituting a new sellback policy for items purchased directly before currency down-conversions.

Items purchased within the two hour window before the release of 4.3 will lose their ability to be sold back to the vendor when the realms are brought down for maintenance. No refunds will be granted for items purchased during this time, either by the in-game vendors, or our support departments.

As an example, I buy an item at 2:30 a.m. The servers come down for the release of 4.3 half an hour later. Normally I would still have an hour and a half after the servers return to sell the item back to the vendor. With this policy change though, upon logging in my item can no longer be sold back to the vendor.

This policy is only in effect for maintenances that include currency down-conversions, such as the release of 4.3. To ensure you don’t purchase the wrong item with the inability to sell it back, we recommend buying well before the final two hours so there’s time to change any incorrect purchases.

For more information on the down-conversion please refer to: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2880562
Edited by Bashiok on 11/9/2011 10:00 AM PST
85 Tauren Warrior
Nice foresight.
84 Night Elf Druid
Nice. I would've went with "you try to game the system you lose", but now atleast you can say "told you so".
80 Night Elf Priest
Good policy.
85 Worgen Mage
Hah! That's awesome, i know a few people who were going to try that :) Good job Blizzard
90 Tauren Druid
A necessary policy and I'm glad it's been thought of before the event, but don't items retain their refund-ability for active play time only?

Hence couldn't someone just buy an item 3 hours before the maintenance, log out & there'll still be refund time left? Or is there going to be a mass wipe of that refund time at the 2 hours-pre-maintenance mark to go along with the temporary shutdown of refunds?
Edited by Anagke on 6/25/2011 10:56 AM PDT
85 Troll Druid
A necessary policy and I'm glad it's been thought of before the event, but don't items retain their refund-ability for active play time only?

Hence couldn't someone just buy an item 3 hours before the maintenance, log out & there'll still be refund time left? Or is there going to be a mass wipe of that refund time at the 2 hours-pre-maintenance mark to go along with the temporary shutdown of refunds?

Items have a 2 hour playtime refund window - the amount of time you wait does not matter as long as you don't play for 2 hours with the items on your character. Hypothetically, I could buy a bunch of stuff with valor right now, log out, log back in Tuesday night and refund it all for my valor back.

The blue post is saying that the timer will be wiped during maintenance, so you cannot do that.
Edited by Aboroth on 6/25/2011 11:03 AM PDT
85 Orc Hunter
*shakes fist at whoever leaked this*

I'm actually shocked they caught it.
Booo!
19 Draenei Shaman
Knew this was coming as soon as people started posting on EJ and AJ about doing this.
90 Tauren Druid
Items have a 2 hour playtime refund window. Hypothetically, I could buy a bunch of stuff with valor, log out, and log back in Tuesday night to refund it all for my valor back. You could even buy stuff right now, and as long as you don't log in until Thursday, it would normally still be refundable.

The blue post is saying that the timer will be wiped during maintenance, so you cannot do that.

Yeah, I was thinking it was 1 hour rather than 2 but my question still stands.

Support article on alternate currencies (http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=27351) says:

Items purchased with an Alternate Currency can often be refunded for their full purchase price within 2 hour of in-game time (this time should only count down while you are logged in)

And the blue post above states "Items purchased within the two hour window before the release of 4.2 will lose their ability to be sold back to the vendor when the realms are brought down for maintenance" ... so I presume I'm just being picky & missing Bashiok's intended meaning, but that reads as if you can buy an item 3 hours before shutdown, log out & the item will still have it's standard 2 hour refund window when you log back in.
- Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
doh, i had planned on doing this since january, no lie. I'm sure the idea was planned for just as far back by blizz though. it was a pretty obvious loop hole that needed filling.

It's just a shame their method of gating a small 7 boss raid is to slow the rate you get gear even more by lower weekly caps after a reset. on top of more of the bis items being on vendor and not drops. gonna take so many weeks to gear up now :(
85 Worgen Druid
Good.

I'm surprised it took them this long to do this. People have been gaming the system for quite a while now.
85 Draenei Paladin
I'll be honest - I was going to try and cheese the system. I'm glad Blizz is being up front with the change, and really don't think it will make any difference in the long run.

:)
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think there are many members of my guild who will be saddened by this, but I haven't finished buying the current vp items yet so I'm still ok.
90 Human Warlock
Normally I like shouting "YAY LOOPHOLE!" This time I'm tempted to shout "YAY NO LOOP HOLE!"
85 Undead Mage
I'll be honest - I was going to try and cheese the system. I'm glad Blizz is being up front with the change, and really don't think it will make any difference in the long run.

:)

Same here, the thought occurred to me to try this a week or two ago when the patch rolled around, oh well ;)
56 Gnome Death Knight
Shrug, I thought the items would refund for their new currency type and valuation when 4.2 shifted them. The solution posted sounds like it will cause some headaches for anyone that may purchase anything in the next 2-3 days.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]