Resto 90 PvE healing guide (v5.4)

(Sticky)

MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
• Spirit – (secondary stat can be reforged) – Increases your mana regen. When you choose the resto talent tree, you gain more passive regen from spirit while “in combat”. This is the most important secondary stat and you should favor this over other stats until you can get your

NOOOO Finish your sentence @_@

That's probably a copy/paste error. I'll replace that section with the one on my forum guide that's worded differently.

It will now read:
"Spirit – (secondary stat can be reforged) – Increases your mana regen. When you choose the resto talent tree, you gain more passive regen from spirit while “in combat”. While Int is still a better stat overall, you will want to pick up enough spirit that you aren’t running OOM before the end of a fight."
Edited by Lissanna on 7/22/2013 4:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Spirit – (secondary stat can be reforged) – Increases your mana regen

IMO, for resto druid

Haste > Spi > Int.

Haste gives more HPS than Int. Also, if you don't have enough Spi ( and, hence, mana ), high Int won't help. So, I currently gem for Spi / Haste and reforge everything into haste.

Of course, there are gurus who have just enough Haste / Spi to hit their targets for the content they currently run and for their regular raid group composition, and use the rest to stack Int, but that's too much spreadsheet work, if you ask me. For most people, 12.6% unbuffed haste should probably be enough - this gives Rejuv / Tranquility BP5 unbuffed, and LB BP18 / RG BP4 with raid buff.

Also, I almost always refresh the stack with LB rather then with HT / Nourish - it has lower mana cost and only takes GCD ( unless you were planning to use a direct heal anyway ). I currently use glyph of blooming and simply let the stack bloom - a lucky crit heals a third of the tank's HPs, which is pretty nice considering you don't spend any additional mana for this.
Edited by Dal on 7/23/2013 9:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Haste gives more HPS than Int. Also, if you don't have enough Spi ( and, hence, mana ), high Int won't help. So, I currently gem for Spi / Haste and reforge everything into haste.

Not in-between breakpoints. Spi>Int>Mastery>Crit>Haste in between breakpoints, until you reach the point where 2 Mastery> 1 Int then mastery and intellect switch priority.

In between breakpoints haste does nothing significant for you (GCD reduction and Cast time reduction are not worth the loss in Mastery)

Of course, there are gurus who have just enough Haste / Spi to hit their targets for the content they currently run and for their regular raid group composition, and use the rest to stack Int, but that's too much spreadsheet work, if you ask me. For most people, 12.6% unbuffed haste should probably be enough - this gives Rejuv / Tranquility BP5 unbuffed, and LB BP18 / RG BP4 with raid buff.

It's actually not that much work... and you don't have to do it yourself, there are plenty of other people that have done the "spreadsheet work" for you.

As for haste breakpoint effectiveness: 13,163 (w/ ~4800+ Mastery) >3043>6652 (6659 w/ SoTF)

. I currently use glyph of blooming and simply let the stack bloom - a lucky crit heals a third of the tank's HPs, which is pretty nice considering you don't spend any additional mana for this.

3 things from this: 1) The chances that lifebloom falls off when it needs to is rare, and you'd be better off casting a NS+HT / casted regrowth. 2) It actually cost 7,080 mana and 2 GCDs as you have to re-apply an additional 2 stacks of lifebloom every time you let it bloom. 3) The reduced duration of lifebloom now causes you to use up more GCDs, more often to keep 100% uptime on Lifebloom.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

Death Knight
Gives druid: Icebound Fortitude (survivability)
Receives:
Tank: Might of Ursoc
DPS: Wild mushrooms spread plagues
Recommendation: Druid gets something similar to barkskin. We give a survival cooldown to tanks. For DPS, shrooms aren't very helpful.

Actually, speaking as a frost DK, this IS very helpful. Our diseases fall off more quickly than you'd think, and it's nice to have another method of spreading them that doesn't take up runes. :)

Anyway, I'll be returning to this thread as I practice on my resto druid some more for raid healing. Thanks, great guide!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm looking for a good -updated- list of BiS when it comes to our class with maybe a listing of what point you are going for (not to mention get away from lists that are strictly filled with full heroic content.). Recently, I've shot for the second haste point, but none of the BiS listings I'm finding are for that set up. They are all for our first point so I don't feel I can trust these lists as much. I used to run RAWR back in cata for all my spec needs when wanting to know "how much" a certain piece of gear will effect healing, but every version I find now is not properly updated. Same goes for an old excel sheet I used from elitests (unless he's returned to update that in the past couple months).

Anyone got a good listing point that doesn't require me to purchase a "premium" membership to their site to see listings that are for second haste point and not full heroic content?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm looking for a good -updated- list of BiS when it comes to our class with maybe a listing of what point you are going for (not to mention get away from lists that are strictly filled with full heroic content.). Recently, I've shot for the second haste point, but none of the BiS listings I'm finding are for that set up. They are all for our first point so I don't feel I can trust these lists as much. I used to run RAWR back in cata for all my spec needs when wanting to know "how much" a certain piece of gear will effect healing, but every version I find now is not properly updated. Same goes for an old excel sheet I used from elitests (unless he's returned to update that in the past couple months).

Anyone got a good listing point that doesn't require me to purchase a "premium" membership to their site to see listings that are for second haste point and not full heroic content?

First off, you will have a hard time finding a BiS list for the second haste breakpoint because that breakpoint is sub-optimal, and the worst of the three.

As for BiS list without Heroics, just use Askmrrobot.com ... optimization of gear doesn't really matter in normal modes, and you really shouldn't worry about being "BiS Normal Mode".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
07/23/2013 09:31 AMPosted by Dal
Spirit – (secondary stat can be reforged) – Increases your mana regen

IMO, for resto druid

Haste > Spi > Int.

Also, I almost always refresh the stack with LB rather then with HT / Nourish - it has lower mana cost and only takes GCD ( unless you were planning to use a direct heal anyway ). I currently use glyph of blooming and simply let the stack bloom - a lucky crit heals a third of the tank's HPs, which is pretty nice considering you don't spend any additional mana for this.

actually thats not true about the stats

Under 540 ilvl

get 3034 haste then go mastery > int > Spirit > crit

540 ilvl and higher

get 12k haste then go mastery > int > spirit > crit

the new patch and if you have 540 ilvl or higher

get 12k haste point > mastery > int > spirit (12000-13000 for innervate) > crit
Edited by Nillie on 9/10/2013 8:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
^Mastery ABOVE intellect?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
For those who like the aid of visual representation and a look at druid healing in SoO I've put together a guide explaining the changes and showing what a lot of you guys have seen to be the best talents to take and how they affect our play styles. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN3ZaJYEHxE
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
^Mastery ABOVE intellect?

I'd only apply this to gemming as you're getting double the stat, However if you're going for the 13163 haste cap you're hardly going to have wiggle room(just yet in early 5.4) to hit your cap AND gem mastery on yellow.

I've just swapped over to the 13163 Haste build and it's amazing, the haste really comes through in the numbers you pull, this will only get better as the patch goes along and this cap is easier to reach(personally I dropped 3x60int(180) socket bonuses just to hit the haste cap)

Once you start running the t16 2set bonus and glyph Healing Touch, you'll probably be able to get your swiftmend down close enough to Wild Growth CD that Glyph of Wildgrowth becomes an asset(currently it isn't, at least in 10m raiding[When running sotf, which I do almost exclusively])

Currently I'm happy with just under 12k int, running int flasks, but once I drop my t15 regen trinkets for the stat% and cleave heal trinks(off sha and thok respectively) I'll probably swap ove to 13k spir to get the most out of innervate again.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Not sure if this has been said yet but:

I just want to make a comment about Ysera's Gift VS Cenarion Ward in a raid enviorment. At a 542 ilevel Ysera's Gift provides more healing in the 30 second time frame than Cenarion Ward does. The only way that Cenarion ward pulls a head is if it is kept on CD and manages to crit at least once each time it is used.

However even if Cenarion Ward was to cirt at least once every time it was used Ysera's Gift is free mana, there is no button that has to be worked in some where your action bar, It appears to benefit from healing increases such as the epic cloak proc, heart of the wild, natures vigil... etc even though it doesn't benefit from intellect increases. There is also the fact that in most cases Cenarion Ward causes a lot of undesired over healing when used where as Ysera's Gift is a smart heal.

I'm sure that for some boss fights and for PvP situations Cenarion Ward may pull ahead but IMO for most raid situations Yseara's Gift is the way to go.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
My raid comp doesn't run a class with a 5% haste buff. I'm pretty close to the 3043 mark, or was. I reforged the 5000 something mark to hit the 12.52% haste mark for that extra tick. Is it worth doing or should I keep the mastery that I had?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
My raid comp doesn't run a class with a 5% haste buff. I'm pretty close to the 3043 mark, or was. I reforged the 5000 something mark to hit the 12.52% haste mark for that extra tick. Is it worth doing or should I keep the mastery that I had?

That haste breakpoint is worth keeping.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Is there some reason Swiftmend doesn't refresh Lifeblooms? I'm seldom using Swiftmend now with the setup it requires. Seems easier to just use Regrowth as the emergency heal.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Is there some reason Swiftmend doesn't refresh Lifeblooms? I'm seldom using Swiftmend now with the setup it requires. Seems easier to just use Regrowth as the emergency heal.

It's probably because it requires a HoT of it's own that doesn't include Lifebloom to activate. Thus not actually affecting it. Reason you should use swiftmend though always is to keep your harmony up 100% of the time.

If you guys need a great overall healing tutorial check out this in depth look at how exctly we pull off top of the meter stuff. Brought to you by yours truly :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16lJuEHqWug
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
With T16 4 piece is it better to keep Soul of the Forrest, or use Incarnation for the extra Wild Growth target + lifebloom spam + free clearcasts + 15% healing overall? What are some thoughts on this? Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Hi Lissanna!! Long time no see.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hey guys!! A long time boomkin here. I was bored, LFR queues were too long, and I've merely playfully dabbled in resto here and there. I respecced my OS, regemmed, and started topping charts! :O

I was just wondering if someone could answer a couple questions for me.

How beneficial is Glyph of Wild growth? I assume its better for 25m than 10m?

Also, what are the best trinkets I should aim for? :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Also, what are the best trinkets I should aim for? :D

If I had one choice I'd take PPP (healer amp) and the second would depend on the encounter. Thok's is insanely over budget on some of the harder fights, so that'd be my second choice to use with PPP. But for spread fights where Thok won't do that well, I'd take Blackfuse followed closely by Nazgrim (multistrike).

Edited: Forgot to mention that choosing Blackfuse over Nazgrim for spread fights will give you a spirit proc that you wouldn't normally have using the other trinkets, which could result in having too much excess mana unless you reforge accordingly (thus wasting the benefit that the Nazgrim throughput proc would provide).

How beneficial is Glyph of Wild growth? I assume its better for 25m than 10m?

Glyph of Wild growth is almost always worth using simply because of the increased mana efficiency of adding an extra target, but no additional mana cost. There are many other things you can do with that extra 2 seconds waiting on the CD with the glyph as well (2 more rejuvs! as an example) and a 5 target WG is not only less mana efficiency, but also less raw healing-per-global than a glyphed WG. Even if the 6th target is overhealing sometimes, maybe some nice/lucky cape procs will make that useful for you. :)

The times glyphing WG could be less than beneficial are when it won't hit more than 5 targets (arena, cmodes, proving grounds, random solo / small group stuff) and extreme 10man situations where your WG is rarely hitting 6 people AND you'd be using it every time it's off CD at 8 seconds if it weren't glyphed. Can't think of many 10man situations in recent tiers where this was the case.

TLDR: WG glyph is good for raiding 99.5% of the time. There are things you can do with those extra globals you get waiting on that more mana efficient / healing-per-global glyphed WG that are almost always better than casting an unglyphed WG every 8 seconds anyway.
Edited by Tigerladyirl on 11/18/2013 8:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hey guys. This guide rocks. Due to people ninja leaving our 10m raid group and with us having trouble finding a new healer, I've rerolled to resto. I mained a Hpally back in ToT days but the heal style between the two are apples and oranges. I have the basics down, just wondering if anyone has any tips for me. Just little tricks to increase hps. My hps seem extremely low compared to what ive seen rdruids do thus far. I'm thinking since im new to the HoT based thing I'm just doing insane overhealing. I would also like one of you vets to look at my gear and see if I should aim for different stats/breakpoints. Not sure what ilvl to try to hit the higher haste breakpoints as resto. Skrillz#1384 is my battletag. Thanks in advance !

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dawnbringer/Shroomk%C3%AFn/simple
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]