Resto PvE healing guide (6.0 updated)

(Sticky)

90 Troll Druid
Hey guys. This guide rocks. Due to people ninja leaving our 10m raid group and with us having trouble finding a new healer, I've rerolled to resto. I mained a Hpally back in ToT days but the heal style between the two are apples and oranges. I have the basics down, just wondering if anyone has any tips for me. Just little tricks to increase hps. My hps seem extremely low compared to what ive seen rdruids do thus far. I'm thinking since im new to the HoT based thing I'm just doing insane overhealing. I would also like one of you vets to look at my gear and see if I should aim for different stats/breakpoints. Not sure what ilvl to try to hit the higher haste breakpoints as resto. Skrillz#1384 is my battletag. Thanks in advance !

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dawnbringer/Shroomk%C3%AFn/simple

Glyph Wise you want to use glyph of regrowth over glyph of rejuvenation. The times when you want to free cast a regrowth (without an OoC proc) is when someone is dangerously low on HP, and a crit heal would be better than the hot. Additionally, the 100% chance to apply a living seed is pretty nice, and will save the target from another "spike" that they may take. Also, glyph of rejuvenation isn't that great, as nourish is honestly a wasted spell. You'd be better off casting a rejuv on the target.

Also, you want to look into Soul of the Forest, it's a pretty awesome talent, and in many Rdruids opinion better than incarn. However, that's up to your opinion on whether or not you prefer stronger WGs throughout the fight, or an extra mana/raid CD.

Finally you can squeeze out some more HPS by regemming/reforging a bit.

Reforging:

Head: Reforge Crit to Haste instead of mastery to haste
Hands: Reforge crit to spirit instead of crit to haste
Ring 2 (seal of eternal sorrow) : reforge spirit to haste instead of mastery to haste

Regemming:

Waist: Exchange your Reckless cuts (80 int/160 haste) with Quick Cuts (+320 haste).

You'll lose 280 intellect and 492 crit, but gain 33 spirit, 815 mastery, and 12 haste.

Atm you're sitting at 4711 mastery which is under the "minimum" mastery required to make the 13163 HBP better than the 3043. With the changes you'll have 5526 mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Wassup all - I've been gathering some random upgrades to my resto set lately and was browsing this thread to see how I should try to optimize my stats. I noticed early in the guide a 3043 haste breakpoint was mentioned as well as 5320. But when I got to some of the later pages I saw posters talking about something crazy like 13000 haste!

I've got the 3043 breakpoint easily in hand but I'm wondering if I should reforge/regem to reach the next reasonable breakpoint or just continue to roll with all mastery like I've been doing so far.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
My healing set has a crazy amount of haste in it. I was thinking that I might have too much and was wondering if I should add more spirit or mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My healing set has a crazy amount of haste in it. I was thinking that I might have too much and was wondering if I should add more spirit or mastery.

You definitely need to reforge down to 3043 haste, you're wasting a BUNCH of mastery by effectively throwing it away with excess haste. The only breakpoints you should worry about are 3043 and 13163 (the latter you won't be able to reach until you get more gear)

As for spirit, you have more than enough for the content you're doing. And when you get the meta you can drop even more.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Wassup all - I've been gathering some random upgrades to my resto set lately and was browsing this thread to see how I should try to optimize my stats. I noticed early in the guide a 3043 haste breakpoint was mentioned as well as 5320. But when I got to some of the later pages I saw posters talking about something crazy like 13000 haste!

I've got the 3043 breakpoint easily in hand but I'm wondering if I should reforge/regem to reach the next reasonable breakpoint or just continue to roll with all mastery like I've been doing so far.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

You don't have enough haste gear atm to reach the 13.1k breakpoint, even if you reforge and regem completely for haste you'll only reach about 11k. Wait until you get some more haste gear before jumping up to the next breakpoint.

It seems you're just now hearing of the 13k breakpoint so I'll explain it's benefits. This is our optimal throughput breakpoint as well as regen breakpoint. 13.1k haste grants +2 ticks to rejuvenation, +3 to WG, and +2 to Tranq. Additionally, it hastens lifebloom ticks (and therefore OoC procs), efflo ticks, meta procs, RPPM trinket procs, and ultimately cast times on HT and Regrowth.

Feel free to ask any more questions :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Hi all, I was wondering if someone could look at my toon and give me a rough guide on where I need to reforge my stats to. I just recently obtained my meta socket but askmrrobot has me reforging to a ton of spirit. Im not really sure how or what im supposed to set the weights to so if someone would be kind enough to school me in the ways of geming/reforging my resto druid that would be helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hi all, I was wondering if someone could look at my toon and give me a rough guide on where I need to reforge my stats to. I just recently obtained my meta socket but askmrrobot has me reforging to a ton of spirit. Im not really sure how or what im supposed to set the weights to so if someone would be kind enough to school me in the ways of geming/reforging my resto druid that would be helpful.

There are two routes you can go now:

1) Stick to the 3043 HBP, keep around 14k - 15k spirit and then go straight mastery. This can be done in AMR by simply opening up the stat page, setting crit to 0 and haste (3043+) to 0. Then on the right select choose softcap and click the 3043 breakpoint (Tranq +1 is next to it). Then go to spirit softcap and type in 14000 or 15000 (which ever you feel more comfortable with). Then save and optimize. This will give you a few thousand extra mastery, and drop some of that excessive 17k Spirit.

However, here is another option:

Jump up to the 13163 HBP, drop 2467 mastery and 5983 spirit. This will give you 11.4k Spirit, 4918 mastery, and 13172 Haste. To do this in AMR go to stat weights. Set Crit and haste past breakpoint to 0. Then on the right select 13163 breakpoint. Then 12000 static spirit. After this go to the top right and click show advanced and then scroll back down to where you see Crit and Mastery soft cap; enter 26.5 into the mastery box. Now go to stat weight and change Mastery (to 26.5%) to 0.76 then Mastery (26.5% +) to 0.55 .

The 13.1k breakpoint is a throughput increase as long as you maintain 4900+ mastery. It grants additional ticks to all your hots, you cast significantly faster, and your meta gem/trinkets/omen of clarity proc noticeably more often.

My only reservations about advising this is that going from 17k to 12k spirit will be a noticeable change for you, and would take some getting used to. However, at the 13k breakpoint you get a LOT more OoC and Meta procs so they help with your loss of 5k spirit. Also, 12k is plenty of spirit for most fights, especially flex/normal.

If you have any more questions feel free to add my battletag: druidboii#1263
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This was extremely helpful. I really appreciate it.
Edited by Daynn on 12/12/2013 12:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
what is the best way to gem,reforge,enchant and what stats r the best for a resto druid can some one look at me and help me to see if i am doing things right like if i am set up for good healing
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
what is the best way to gem,reforge,enchant and what stats r the best for a resto druid can some one look at me and help me to see if i am doing things right like if i am set up for good healing

For gemming our stat weights are:

Intellect = 1
Mastery = 0.55

since gemming is 2:1 in favor of secondary stats you want to gem for mastery as much as you can.

That being said, you should exchange your red brilliant (+180 int) gems for 80 int / 160 mastery gems. Doing that alone will increase your throughput by approx 0.52087%. This may not sound like a lot, but on a fight where you have 100 million healing done that's around 5 million extra healing for simply replacing a few gems.

Enchants you want to go for intellect if you can, and mastery/haste depending on what cap you need.

As for your set up you should really try out the 13163 haste breakpoing. The 6652 breakpoint is extremely sub-optimal, and you have too much haste to jump all the way down to 3043.

When going for the 13163 breakpoint make sure you keep at least 4900 mastery, so that your spells will still do decent healing.

I would also suggest dropping some spirit, you shouldn't really need 15k for Flex/Normal. The excess spirit is just going into overhealing.

I hope this helps, feel free to add druidboii#1263 to btag if you have anymore questions :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Hello, I have been healing as a restoration druid on and of for a few years. Recently I started gearing my druid and currently heal all the LFR raids. I was wondering since your post is from 2011, if it still applies to restoration druids right now. Thank you. I have been playing on and off since The Burning Crusade and this is my first EVER post. :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hello, I have been healing as a restoration druid on and of for a few years. Recently I started gearing my druid and currently heal all the LFR raids. I was wondering since your post is from 2011, if it still applies to restoration druids right now. Thank you. I have been playing on and off since The Burning Crusade and this is my first EVER post. :)

The original post is from 2011, the actual info was edited last on 9/9/2013. It is all still relevant
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hey I had a quick gearing question. Right now I'm using burden-timeless isle boots 2112 sta, 1408 int, 938 haste, 938 mastery (double upgraded already). I recently got Boots of Broken Reliance normal warforged 2452 sta, 1554 int, 961 spi, 1106 crit with yellow socket. Normally I'd think higher ilvl would mean I should definitely equip it, but being spirit/crit versus haste/mastery I'm not sure if it's worth it. On the fights I've been doing I've never really had mana problems so the spirit doesn't seem very useful and crit is our worst throughput stat. Any opinions?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
This thread has been a lot of help when gearing up. I wanted to know what anyone could tell me about how my gear is optimized. I've been using askmrrobot and been trying to optimize for the 13163 HBP. Let me know how you might optimize differently and any tips are appreciated. Below is the link to my link in Ask Mr. Robot.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/korgath/protomunks

Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
This is a great guide. Very good work!

Ok so I've been a resto druid for a while and I love it but I want to see if I can get to the 13k haste break point with the gear I'm at. I tried to use Ask Mr. Robot but my head is spinning with all the numbers. How can I find out if I can reach that hbp and have it be worth it. Thanks for the help!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Normally I'd think higher ilvl would mean I should definitely equip it

This is only true for 570 ish resto druids. Until then Mastery is still a lot better than crit. It's not until 570 ish that Crit and Mastery start becoming equal to the point where the intellect on the gear is the main deciding factor.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This thread has been a lot of help when gearing up. I wanted to know what anyone could tell me about how my gear is optimized. I've been using askmrrobot and been trying to optimize for the 13163 HBP. Let me know how you might optimize differently and any tips are appreciated. Below is the link to my link in Ask Mr. Robot.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/korgath/protomunks

Thanks!

You cannot reach the 13163 even if you gem and reforge straight haste. Stick to the 3043 breakpoint until you get about 20-30 more ilevels
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This is a great guide. Very good work!

Ok so I've been a resto druid for a while and I love it but I want to see if I can get to the 13k haste break point with the gear I'm at. I tried to use Ask Mr. Robot but my head is spinning with all the numbers. How can I find out if I can reach that hbp and have it be worth it. Thanks for the help!

Step 1: go to http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/akama/kveykva

Step 2: Go to edit weights

Step 3: Click the green box on the right named "change soft cap"

Step 4: Select the 13163 breakpoint (+2 rejuv ticks and 37.52% haste)

Step 5: Select "Show advanced settings" in the top right

Step 6: Scroll down and insert 26.5 into the "mastery soft cap" box

Step 7: Insert 12000 into the "Spirit Soft Cap" box

Step 8: Select "Static Spirit"

Step 9: Change the "Mastery(to 26.5%)" weight from 0.55 to 0.79

Step 10: Change the "Mastery(26.5%+)" weight from 0 to 0.55

Step 11: Change the "Crit" weight to 0

Step 12: Change the "Spirit" weight to 0.75

Step 13: Change "Spirit(12000+)" to 0

Step 14: Hit "Save" at the top left

Step 15: Hit "Optimize"

Step 16: Follow the gemming and reforging it provides
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
[quote]
Step 1: go to http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/akama/kveykva

Step 2: Go to edit weights

Step 3: Click the green box on the right named "change soft cap"

Step 4: Select the 13163 breakpoint (+2 rejuv ticks and 37.52% haste)

Step 5: Select "Show advanced settings" in the top right

Step 6: Scroll down and insert 26.5 into the "mastery soft cap" box

Step 7: Insert 12000 into the "Spirit Soft Cap" box

Step 8: Select "Static Spirit"

Step 9: Change the "Mastery(to 26.5%)" weight from 0.55 to 0.79

Step 10: Change the "Mastery(26.5%+)" weight from 0 to 0.55

Step 11: Change the "Crit" weight to 0

Step 12: Change the "Spirit" weight to 0.75

Step 13: Change "Spirit(12000+)" to 0

Step 14: Hit "Save" at the top left

Step 15: Hit "Optimize"

Step 16: Follow the gemming and reforging it provides

Thank you very much for your help! According to this I can hit that haste cap! I would lose 1262 int, 9.64% mastery, and 1262 spirit. It looks to me like it would be worth it for all that haste I would get out of it. Do you agree?

Would there be any spec changes you would reccomend if I get that new hbp?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
also I would have 27.77% mastery. Is that enough to make the hbp worth it?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]