Resto PvE healing guide 6.2

(Sticky)

90 Tauren Druid
Just wanted to say thanks for the idea... gonna try it out... havent found healing comfortable since they took rolling HOTs away... always liked that style of healing n it sounds like this will let me try it
Reply Quote
67 Goblin Priest
• Int – Base stat (primary stats can’t be reforged) – Now gives spell power, increases the size of your mana pool, and gives crit chance. This is your primary stat on gear, and you will want to choose gems with int on them now. In addition, you get mana regen from int through your talents.

Can you please clarify, I've read all the talents and not one says anything about int increasing mana regen.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Revitalize - Rejuvenation or Lifebloom have 20% chance to instantly regenerate 1% of your total mana
Replenishment - regeneration equal to 1% of maximum mana per 10sec
Innervate - 5% (+15% by selfcast) maximum mana over 10sec

I think that they are these.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
A note needs to be made about glyphs: Glyph of Rebirth does not, nor has never restored the resurrected person's mana to 100%. It only restores the person back with 100% health.

Also, while this selection of posts together are partially helpful, I had to do a lot more additional reading and testing of my own to really understand and get a feel for everything that was mentioned.

Still, was a great help.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I skimmed through the guide just to satisfy my curiosity about how other people are doing with their own healing styles. I personally have absolutely no trouble.

I feel as though it's a good start, but there are a few things listed on the post that are simply incorrect. For instance, the Rebirth glyph as stated by the poster above me.

Aside from the incorrect facts, I personally disagree with quite a few of the tips listed here. Swiftmend should not be used on cooldown for the sake of keeping Harmony up. It's a high priority heal yes, but it should be used with common sense. Hitting it every time it's off cooldown, even if it is for the heal itself and not for Harmony, is asking for trouble. It's an incredibly powerful heal, very cheap, and instant. (or a "1 second cast" if you have to sacrifice a GCD to throw up rejuv first).

Swiftmend should be used with Efflorescence's effect in mind. Don't drop it on someone standing in the middle of no-where unless it's the difference between life and death. Otherwise you wasted Efflorescence. In specific boss fights with predictable periods of AoE (Beth'tilac is a prime example), efflorescence cannot be wasted. It will make a significant difference if you use that on someone chasing adds, or dropping it on the range stack point.

A good resto druid requires a very high level of raid awareness and micro-management. Pressing your prettiest button because someone gets low will leave you with low on the meters, and low on the mana. You may also look ridiculous in the eyes of your raid leader because you're leaving green circles in the middle of the field, rather than on your raid. To me, when I click Swiftmend and see that my Efflorescence is not where I had hoped, I can't help but feel embarrassed. You've got to be willing to use abilities such as Swiftmend on targets that are almost full health, JUST because you know that small pulses of AoE damage are coming your way and you can have efflorescence ticking.

Ultimately, it is highly important that a resto druid learns to play as a pro-active healer, rather than a re-active healer. This is true for both healing, AND cooldown management.

I first started Firelands in blues and a couple epics. I was ~350 AIL when I started. I usually averaged around the other healers, who were ~365+ AIL. Now in this gear, I average 10% more than the second healer, and in some fights, especially during Lord Rhyolith, I'll be 15-20% higher than the second, out of 3 healers. My AIL is roughly 372, and the other healers are about even with me, last I checked. Resto druids are immensely powerful as long as their full arsenal of abilities are used, and to their full potential. It is very easy for other classes designed to be reactive healers to get their big green numbers in before a resto druid.

Cooldown rotation is also important. Innervate should be used on all fights within the first minute. Realistically, you're free to go absolutely nuts with your heals within the first few seconds. ...Okay, don't go spamming Regrowth like a lunatic, but you don't need to constantly watch your mana. Once you've gotten some hots ticking and the fight is just starting to warm up, pop Innervate and any mana-regen trinkets you have. Save your mana pots. Afterward, you will use all of your mana cooldowns the second they become available every single time until the end of the fight.

Tranquility and Tree of Life are two major cooldowns that, despite having only a 3 minute cooldown, should not be used so freely. While it is definitely good for HPS to use these every chance you can, combined these two abilities make for ridiculous possibilities that could make or break your raid. Tranquility is significantly more powerful when used alongside Tree of Life, therefore in order to get your full potential, you have a "1 second cast-time", which is the GCD to enter Tree of Life before your ubertranq is available. When that second cannot be spared, use it solo. Otherwise? Tranq. If it LOOKS like something might wipe you? Tranq. See an add that's inches away from Ragnaros's hammer? Tree of Life, Tranq.

With Tree of Life also comes the ability to put Lifebloom on multiple targets. Since Clearcasting has no cooldown and, you can place Lifebloom on a few targets - even one stack will do, just for the sake of a higher clearcasting proc. Then you get free AND instant Regrowths, allowing you to do insane amounts of healing AND regain your mana.

I don't OOM unless the fight was done horribly wrong. I'm not spec'd for mana conservation either. I have neither Moonglow nor Furor.

-- Just keep in mind that Resto Druids are either the bottom-of-the-barrel healers (in both PvP and PvE), or top-notch. Even without tranquility usage, an average geared resto-druid should be even with a very well geared anything else (unless they are being played by someone with sponsor-level skill.)

EDIT: Corrected an ability mistake.
Edited by Kodohoof on 10/26/2011 4:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
[Slightly continued...]

In case anyone was wondering, a few quick bits I neglected to mention. Like the above post, interpret it how you may.

~ I, personally, never use healing touch. The sole purpose of its existence on my bar is to serve with a Healing Touch + Nature's Swiftness combo. Outside of that, never used. Ever. No matter how dire the situation, everything else is used instead. I use Nourish as my only direct cast-time heal.

~ Regrowth is used 90% of the time with Clearcasting. In dire emergencies, I will use it otherwise. If a fight is about to end or crazy and otherwise unhealable damage is going out, I spam the button to death with Tree of Life on whoever needs it. This is NOT a very efficient tactic, but can do some good. If you have the ability to throw Lifeblooms out to several people, this trick can be extremely successful since you'll be proc'ing Clearcasting many, many times.

~ I did not take Moonglow or Furor because a resto druid played correctly will have ridiculous mana regeneration while pumping out good heals. Your other healers will need to press less buttons, saving them mana so they can make up for your slack as your pool drains low. I had Furor when I first started Firelands with Blues, Greens, and Zul epics, but that lasted only until my second or so run. Keep in mind I hadn't played Resto Druid at all in Cataclysm aside from a couple heroics at launch. The buffer-zone should only be needed for druids still learning to properly manage cooldowns and mana regen.

~ I did not take Living Seed because it is extremely weak and situational. It ONLY procs off of Critical Heals for your heals with a direct heal built in. The heal itself is extremely weak, even with 3 points put in. I had this spec'd to 3 for the longest time, but it was doing less healing than Tranquility... overall... when I used Tranquility once or twice in an entire raid. The proc'd target has to also be struck by an ability to proc the bonus heal. It is simply far too weak to dedicate points into.

~-~
Yes, this character has little progress in this game. He exists solely for the purpose of raiding. That's exactly why he has almost no Valor Points, Quests, Dungeons, etc completed. I log on two nights a week, for 2-3 hours a day to raid. It's the only time this character gets to shine. Just throwing that out there. :P
~-~

And to add on, my above post may have a bit of an elitist attitude behind it. That wasn't the intention, but I ended up having to rewrite several portions of it in order to meet the character cap, which inadvertently turned it from (what I hope to be) a helpful post, into a "I'm good, I top meters!" topic, with some tips thrown in.

The guide is a great help to get people off the ground, props to the author for taking his/her time to write it. Even though I have quite a different outlook on healing, the OP's methods and reasoning certainly have their place.

Again, apologies if the post above rubbed anyone the wrong way. I do hope you combine the advice from the OP as well as my own reply in effort to create your own effective healing style that'll make raid leaders everywhere beg for your attendance. :D
Edited by Kodohoof on 10/26/2011 4:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Aside from the incorrect facts, I personally disagree with quite a few of the tips listed here. Swiftmend should not be used on cooldown for the sake of keeping Harmony up. It's a high priority heal yes, but it should be used with common sense. Hitting it every time it's off cooldown, even if it is for the heal itself and not for Harmony, is asking for trouble. It's an incredibly powerful heal, very cheap, and instant. (or a "1 second cast" if you have to sacrifice a GCD to throw up rejuv first).

Swiftmend should be used with Efflorescence's effect in mind. Don't drop it on someone standing in the middle of no-where unless it's the difference between life and death. Otherwise you wasted Efflorescence. In specific boss fights with predictable periods of AoE (Beth'tilac is a prime example), efflorescence cannot be wasted. It will make a significant difference if you use that on someone chasing adds, or dropping it on the range stack point.

A good resto druid requires a very high level of raid awareness and micro-management. Pressing your prettiest button because someone gets low will leave you with low on the meters, and low on the mana. You may also look ridiculous in the eyes of your raid leader because you're leaving green circles in the middle of the field, rather than on your raid. To me, when I click Swiftmend and see that my Efflorescence is not where I had hoped, I can't help but feel embarrassed. You've got to be willing to use abilities such as Swiftmend on targets that are almost full health, JUST because you know that small pulses of AoE damage are coming your way and you can have efflorescence ticking.

I agree that efflorescence should be kept in mind when using swiftmend during times of aoe, but you have to remember that its effect is capped at 3 targets, so there is more leeway for its use than you may think. On aoe situations you're still going to want to capitalise on your wg and efflor rotation, but the strength of efflor ticks makes it fairly decent for using on any number of people, provided they're not on the run. In times of low raid damage and moderate tank damage, it's probably still best used off cd on, say, the tank since it still adds to effective healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Lissanna
Lissanna
Elune Profile
Lissanna
85 Night Elf Druid
Undying Resolution
7995Edited by Lissanna on 9/10/11 11:43 AM (PDT) Part 4. Talents version 4.1 (updated 6/27/2011)

Trying to write about talent specs in 4.1 is actually pretty difficult, because you have some choice in where you want to put ~4 talent points, and none of those options are very strong talents.

For a standard 8/2/31 build, your base could look like this Template talent spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#0hbhZMZMfzId0ruouo

Then, you have the option to move points out of living seed (and possibly nature's swiftness) to take any combination of talent points you want:

• Living Seed (some people may still keep points here, but I don’t plan on keeping it)
• Blessing of the Grove (people who raid heal a lot with rejuv will benefit more from this talent than living seed, but it’s still going to have a minor impact on healing at best)
• Nature’s Swiftness (This is still unappealing to me. Swiftmend, with efflorescence procs, will do more for me than NS).
• Perserverence (Decreasing the damage you take increases the probability that you will live, and while it doesn’t inflate meter numbers, dead healers can’t heal)
• Fury of the Storm Rage (not recommended for PvE raiding specs)
• Nature's Bounty (increases the crit rate of regrowth, and makes nourish faster when you have 3 rejuvs up).

Genesis Vs Moonglow:
Some people are also moving to try and pick up Genesis from resto, due to being geared enough that they don't need to invest as many points in resto talents. In this case, they would shift points out of moonglow/Furor and into genesis.

A HOT-focused build (with genesis) for more AOE/raid healing could look like this:
http://www.wowhead.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
Kodohoof:
"Introduction to druid healing, written at a beginner/intermediate level (so, druids looking for advanced help should look at the additional resource links provided)." My intro comes with a disclaimer for who this targets.

Hamlet's EJ guide is meant to be the advanced user guide for resto druids and I don't feel the need to just copy/paste the info he gives, so the two guides present information framed differently on purpose (and it's why the first post comes with links to other resources - because the resto druids are a community that has multiple guide writers with different perspectives and target audiences).

There is no way to make and maintain a guide on these forums that will help every single druid, and beginners (ie. just dinged 85 and started 5-mans) use this guide as much as people who are doing their very first raids, and those groups use it more often than people who are advanced raiders doing HM Nefarian (because I expect HM raiders to use the EJ guides and not a forum guide). This guide is meant to complement other guides, not replace them.

Your talent criticism: just about all those talent-related points are talked about in the above talent description section that Luluette quoted above. I didn't post a cookie-cutter spec. I posted a template spec (where I had to fill in 3 points to move up the tree) and then described how you could move those 3 points somewhere else at your choice, and I described the options of what you could take instead of living seed, and even included a "living seed replacement calculator" so you could estimate which talent was better. If you had actually read the guide, you wold have seen that part.

It's possible to have typos or information that has changed since 4.2 launched (most of the time, guide writers have to post up guides before people start doing the content - so my guides have always been posted on the day of patch launch). There's no way for me to make everything 100% perfect on a guide that has to be changed often (and will change again in a couple weeks when 4.3 launches - there will be another version that comes out at that point updated with changes in how people play their druids, increased mana resources at the higher level, etc).

On swiftmend: In the mastery healing section, I didn't say who to use it on, just when to use it. You can very easily use it on-cooldown on someone meaningful (and who that someone is becomes very fight-dependent). If you are doing mostly AOE/raid healing and you only use swiftmend a handful of times during a fight because you "saved" it, your HOT healing numbers will be low because your up-time on your mastery will be too low. It's the type of spell (since efflorescence is capped at 3 people) that it's pretty hard to use it wrong (especially since SM requires a rejuv or Regrowth HOT - you will be limited in terms of who you can cast it on when SM's cooldown comes up to people you felt the need to heal already). I talk about using SM for Efflorescence AOE healing in some sections and in the mastery description, I emphasize using it often because having low mastery up-time really has a huge impact on some druids having low healing numbers (very recently, I made one of my guild's healers start to swiftmend more and his #'s started coming up pretty dramatically because now his WG & Rejuvs are doing more healing due to higher mastery up-time). At the point where 4.2 hit and we got a brand-new mastery, people needed to know how the mastery worked in a simple way that wasn't confusing. Once people get used to mechanics, future versions of the guide don't place as much emphasis on them.

I also have # of word limitations on the forum version of my guide, so often times, there are details I have to leave out for space reasons (and the blog version of the guide is often slightly more detailed & longer in some sections).
Edited by Lissanna on 11/4/2011 6:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
31 Night Elf Druid
Ok, so I tried healing in a low dungeon, and then I failed completely. Should I just use Nourish or Rejuvination and Swift Mend?
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
11/07/2011 04:08 AMPosted by Reoi
Ok, so I tried healing in a low dungeon, and then I failed completely. Should I just use Nourish or Rejuvination and Swift Mend?

You should go visit the Leveling guide sticky. :)

The wowhead version is a little more readable, though.
http://www.wowhead.com/guide=290/druid-leveling-guide

Basically, you want to be using all three of those. Rejuv can be on more than one person at a time, so you can actually keep it on multiple people taking damage. Your other direct heals can help with keeping people alive when they take more burst damage.
Edited by Lissanna on 11/7/2011 5:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
31 Night Elf Druid
Ok, thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Hi Lissanna I've been following your guide since way back in beginning of wotlk and always refer to your guide whenever I have to switch from tanking to healing for a raid night :)

I wanted to ask though, I notice on your blog and on this forum guide, you don't have an addons/UI section, I am kind of curious because everytime I go healing I change up my entire UI and I am never happy with it, how does your UI look? What addons do you use?
Of course if you want to keep it a secret that's fine by me
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
I actually have a horrible UI. Right now, I'm healing with the default UI raid frames. :)

Keeva of TBJ has a lot of addon info on her guide website here: http://restodruid.info/
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Theres a blog, Restokin.com, that has almost the exact same information on it. Word for word in most cases. Is it yours? Just curious.

Edit: Im stupid, yes it is yours. Lol...
Edited by Loru on 11/22/2011 2:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have a Stats/Gearing question as it pertains to Haste.

I'm currently in full 391 T12, and have a few other slots at 391 as well. I have access to a maximum of appx. 2300 Haste.

I also have, at all times, Dark Intent, and the Raid Haste buff.

So, I've been researching which Haste Breakpoint I should sit at. Using the numbers over at the inc bear's google docs spreadsheet (http://goo.gl/wc19m) .. I look at columns I (DI + Raid) and L (DI + Raid + Nature's Grace).

At first I was looking just at column I, DI + Raid and saw that 2005 is 'best', as in addition to what folks at 2005 get without DI (row 10) I also would get one more LB tick. No reason to go any further than that as reaching 3185 is impossible). But then, I started being VERY diligent about applying Nature's Grace every 45 seconds. So, for 25% of a fight (15 out of every 60 seconds) I am in column L (DI + NG + Raid). Clearly NG is a HUGE increase in haste, and it possibly changes the desired breakpoint to 2128, it would seem. Granted this means for 75% of the fight Im now 123 Haste over row 11 cap (2005) and 555 over row 10 cap (1573), but I thought that boost might be worth it (one *more* extra tick on Lifebloom).

So I took some WoL logs from before this change (at 1573, putting me in Row 10) and after the change (at 2128), expecting to see higher numbers in total healing, and more lifebloom ticks total. Before making this change I ignored NG almost entirely (DUMB) and after I discovered it, and found the new breakpoint I was expecting the 3 extra ticks per cycle 25% of the time to really add up.

As it turns out the logs actually showed the same or sometimes slower ticking of Lifebloom for the fight overall, and on some fights my healing done was actually lower! It's been quite discouraging. I think things like the insane boost of haste from Heroism, and possibly some WoL issues caused the discrepency; but even if that math didn't make sense.. my numbers didn't budge, and in some cases went down. Since we have LB on the tanks at all times and it makes up 20-30% of total healing done on most fights, I thought maximizing it would make the most difference.

My other option, is to read the chart like this :

1) Ignore what NG does to my Hots. YES, it will make them better, and 25% of the time I'll get increased healing (so I should keep it up diligently), but not gear based on it.
2) Consider that in everything else I've read the sweet spot is the 2005 Breakpoint withOUT the DI Buff, to get the extra WG/Effloresence benefit (Row 10 in the Google Document),
3) Drop from 2128 Haste back to 1573, which would put me at Row 10 (since I'll always have DI) and put that 555 points into Mastery instead.

If I do this, Im basically saying (and asking you to confirm) that :

A) Gearing for the 25% of the fight that NG is up is not a smart thing.
B) Row 10, where you get more Effloresence and Wild Growth ticks is the most valuable plateau to sit at, and Row 11 is not worth the 427 Haste to reach.
C) The value of Mastery is higher above that Row 10 mark, and so the rest should go there.

I'm open to other suggestions, and things to try, but even looking forward at the 4.3 gear, it would seem the Int values will raise, and if I can keep my haste at this 1573 mark, and just continue stacking Mastery (as I replace items with some haste with items with lots of haste) that my heals would scale best. It doesnt seem likely that 3k+ Haste will be the next "best plataue".. so if you have DI and Raid buff, is 1573 "Where it's at!" ?
Edited by Drunfire on 11/24/2011 6:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
Theres a blog, Restokin.com, that has almost the exact same information on it. Word for word in most cases. Is it yours? Just curious.

Edit: Im stupid, yes it is yours. Lol...

yes, it's mine. LOL
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
Drunfire -

We generally ignore nature’s grace when coming up with haste levels for gearing.

If there are times you don’t have DI, it’s better to sit at 2005 haste and just get the extra LB tick when you do have DI. If you pretty much always have DI, it’s okay to drop down haste values and use the DI column to judge your gearing instead.

I’m not sure if people will be pushing the 3K+ mark in 4.3 or not.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks very much!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]