Resto 90 PvE healing guide (v5.4)

(Sticky)

MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
Hey Arifand, I'm a little slammed with grant writing & grading this week. Can you make a new thread with your questions so some other people can weigh in on it?
Reply Quote

Ok, I'll try to answer this in parts to make it a bit easier:
Also more mana or more mana regen seems to be needed as well to keep up with the pally and priest healers.
I do not have any mana issues healing either, it just pure numbers that separate me from the other pally healer.

12/09/2011 04:14 PMPosted by Arifand
I have stacked mastery over haste since the beginning of this expansion. I find that having around 18-19 percent mastery is awesome for tank healing.

Slightly contradictory here, but I'll go with the assumption that you're fine for mana. In this case, there's absolutely no harm reforging spirit out to mastery. You mentioned sitting on 18-19% for tank healing, but this benefits raid healing too; it's a flat percentage buff to heals as long as you keep Harmony up. So basically, you're nerfing ALL of your heals by 5% by having dropped down to the approx 1k mastery you've got currently.

Keeping harmony up is easy, since it can be done by:
- spamming nourish on tank when there's nothing else to do (nourish is pretty much mana neutral with your level of gear)
- making use of ALL of your OOC procs, even when you don't need to heal anyone. Often I use Regrowth on the tank or any dps sub-100% health, but even if everyone's at full, you may as well use it to keep Harmony up due to its small cast time.
- use HT on tank to keep lifebloom refreshed, and to decrease the time left on the CD of Nature's Swiftness, if you've taken the Glyph of Healing Touch.
12/09/2011 04:14 PMPosted by Arifand
So the question I have is how can a druid spec to be good at both tank healing and raid healing?

Since you're going fine for mana, you could try adjusting your spec a bit.

For example, instead of putting 2 pts in Furor, you could shift them to Genesis, buffing your HoTs and Swiftmend by 4%. Furor is decent if you're having mana issues or if you ABSOLUTELY can't do without the chance of instant energy/rage when you shapeshift, but generally you'll find you'll benefit more from specc'ing into Genesis, particularly if throughput is what you're aiming for.

As far as I've seen, druid healing has moved even more towards heavy Rejuvenation use (and why not, it's a cheap spell), so stacking as much mastery as you can - without compromising your regen - and speccing into talents that buff your HoTs can potentially increase your overall healing fairly significantly.
Reply Quote
Outside of that, when it comes to aoe damage and raid healing, using your Tranq and ToL at the right times will definitely boost your healing done considerably. It's difficult to offer advice since I always assume that the resto druid is keeping as close to 100% uptime on Harmony (including right before hitting Tranq, and during ToL), and using their cooldowns at the optimal time.

In reality, failure to use resto CDs at the right time is probably a bigger nerf to your overall healing done than relocating a handful of talent points.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

Bullsdeep
You do know you have the spell dps chest and the healer gloves right you aren't getting a set bonus :D FAIL and your staff is messed also its true you should reforge out of crit but hit does 0 for you crit>hit for a healer and you will get more haste by a few points. You also have extra haste pst 205 a purple gem you dont need and an extra yellow gem... sry ill stop there.

combined post

Wow. I am a tard. I can't believe I did that...

/sigh

The staff is a situational thing. I reforged out of crit because there is more crit than hit on there. I realize it does nothing but I was trying to hit 2005 haste for the ticks. I am constantly reforging depending on new gear, so if I am past the cap (which I don't believe I am) then that is the case. However I do agree, epic fail on the caster chest. SON OF A B**** that is annoying.

Seriously... Spirit on dps gear. DAMN IT
Edited by Bullsdeep on 12/10/2011 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Can you please put links in the table of contents to the individual posts? It makes it quicker to find stuff. :-)
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
12/10/2011 09:59 PMPosted by Zoju
Can you please put links in the table of contents to the individual posts? It makes it quicker to find stuff. :-)

For a long time, clicky-links didn't work and so I didn't have them in. I think clicky links will actually work for forum posts, so when I'm done with my grant writing on the 16th, remind me and I'll add them in next weekend. :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
For a 10 man composition with no kitties/moonkins/warriors, it is possible to ask our RDruid to put Faerie Fire and refresh it after 5 mins or it will blow his mana or something like that?

Otherwise I should ask to our hunter or me to sunder armor but the duration of FF makes me think about it.

Thx in advance :)
Edited by Kromos on 12/14/2011 9:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
For a 10 man composition with no kitties/moonkins/warriors, it is possible to ask our RDruid to put Faerie Fire and refresh it after 5 mins or it will blow his mana or something like that?

Otherwise I should ask to our hunter or me to sunder armor but the duration of FF makes me think about it.

Thx in advance :)

You can ask. That's really up to you and your Rdruid to work out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Help! I'm having a wee bit of trouble. After reading the entire thread, I relize that I am no where I need to be on haste, but could that really be my sole problem?

I just got a few new pieces last night and haven't had a chance to enchant and possibly gem them. I don't feel like a strong healer anymore.

I was actually working my butt off last night in the three new dungeons, whereas my holy priest just glides right through.

Can you all take a took and help me out? Thanks a bunch ^_^
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
If your holy priest out-gears your druid alt, and your druid has a bunch of unenchanted items, then those kind of gear differences can make a lot of difference. In the new 5-mans, how much your other party members stand in bad will impact how difficult healing the instances seem. You may also just need more time & practice on the druid to get comfortable with how healing feels.

Druids overall are lacking a few tools we know we are getting in Mists of Pandaria. It's possible you'll just have to work harder on your druid for a while.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Ok, thanks. I've picked up two pieces last night and didn't enchant/gem right away. I was frustrated and tired to boot, so I went to bed. I'll probably do that tonight.

The thing is my druid is my main. She is also my main healer. This was my very first character I ever created, so I'm attached to her....just a little bit. :D

I also seems to me, that the right gear isn't dropping in the new 5 mans, if that makes any sense, for me any ways.

There seem to be a lot of cloth drops. My mage and priest were fully nearly geared within days it seems.

I'll dump some spirit and pick up haste and mastery. You're guide and the comments back and forth was very helpful. Thanks for have the know how and paitence to put it together.

Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
We just got a resto druid into our heal setup and I know next to nothing about them so I am here learning. This was useful, thank you.

If you ever get a chance you should totally put a little part at the end for tips and things to look for to effectively heal alongside a resto druid (like now I know I can probably slack a little bit in echo mastery since we are getting so many HoTs into the group).

I find anytime we get a new type of healer I have to learn a new class and with constant updates I find it hard to keep up.

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
Resto 85 PvP healing guide (v4.3)

1) Don't bother
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
Resto 85 PvP healing guide (v4.3)
1) Don't bother

that's not really fair. :)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Why is Power Torrent better than Heartsong for Resto druids.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
12/19/2011 12:44 PMPosted by Orgularn
Why is Power Torrent better than Heartsong for Resto druids.

At this point, more throughput from getting spell power buff while it's up, along with getting some regen (and the fact PT will buff innervate) makes it overall a better buff for resto druids. Heartsong is just regen and not throughput.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I would like to see a way if they could make the Trent tree glyph changed to be a permanent form, say when glyph you will lose maybe life bloom on all targets and regrowth + maybe wild growth in place of just maybe the pure 6% healing bonus if i can remember right? that would make me so much happier since i was a pre cata resto druid

Oh and all-so the new Tree form looks horrible it's not a tree looks more like a ent or some silly troll voodoo stuff BLEH!!!!
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
I would like to see a way if they could make the Trent tree glyph changed to be a permanent form, say when glyph you will lose maybe life bloom on all targets and regrowth + maybe wild growth in place of just maybe the pure 6% healing bonus if i can remember right? that would make me so much happier since i was a pre cata resto druid

Oh and all-so the new Tree form looks horrible it's not a tree looks more like a ent or some silly troll voodoo stuff BLEH!!!!

Well, I can't actually change anything about the game, so maybe you should make a new post to talk about it. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Does the 2005 haste breakpoint make a huge difference? I was at 2006 until my 25m DS and LFR runs last night where I picked up about 5 new pieces. I'm having a really hard time trying to hit that 2005 now. I'm coming up about 150 haste short if I remember correctly(servers are down right now). Is it going to make a big difference?

Also, what kind of numbers should we be seeing on Ultraxion if anyone knows. I'm in the mid-30k's with the red buff. Is that good or should I be doing better in the low ilvl 380's?

EDIT: Servers are back up. I switched my glove enchant to +50 haste and it put me back to 2007 haste.
Edited by Shleong on 12/21/2011 10:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
that haste breakpoint does matter. If you can't hit it, it's better to drop back to the earlier breakpoint and reforge to more mastery.

HPS doesn't work the same as DPS so I never give estimates of what people should be healing for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]