this tank needs help

78 Blood Elf Death Knight
hi im a level 71 blood elf death knight (at the time of this post) and need some help i am having problems tanking im taking to much damage and i dont have good gear for it so if anyone would so kind as to give me some pointers i would be very apriciative
and please no hateful words
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Warrior
hmm IMO death knights have the lowest amount of the tanks most important stat: Defense mainly because whilst the rest of us get shields u are stuck with bone shield u have to really keep the defensive abilities going because u cannot rely on a shield like the rest of us.

so keep the shield buffs going
the stats u want the most of are defence rating and maybe dodge rating
if you can u might want to reforge your items to trade out stats that you dont need.
Reply Quote
ok thank you so much
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Hi dreadful...allow me to give you a hand...first off please dont listen to Salric...he has some good points but they are clouded by outdated or overlevel tidbits that dont matter to you.

First off...when gearing up NEVER use gear that has int or spirit as a death knight. You will only ever take PLATE gear that has STRENGTH as its primary stat. What this means is your shoulders chest cloak gloves belt and ring are all terrible for you.

My recommendation for all of those pieces is to pick up any craftable cobalt pieces(like your helm) make sure they are the pieces with dodge rating(There is no defense stat anymore it was all changed to dodge) or parry rating.

Second if you are wanting to tank you have to use a tanking rune on your weapon, most notably I think at your level that would be rune of gargoyle or rune of swordshattering(more health or more parry)...the one you have can work but if you are just starting you want more survivability.

Third redo your talent spec a bit(I recommend looking at some of the specs at elitistjerks.com) I know you dont have all of your talent points but for instance blood caked blade is actually a really terrible talent all together and vampiric blood is an amazing cooldown for 1 talent point. Also if you plan to tank scarlet fever is kind of mandatory(gives 10% reduced damage done by any target afflicted by your blood plague.)

Also....use cooldowns LIBERALLY...a cooldown wasted when you thought you needed it is better than a cooldown saved when you did need it.

Finally, Until you get to 80 your death strike will only heal you and not place a bubble on you. So make sure you are using that to help your healers keep yourself up(for your level of content with appropriate gear...its actually possible to find yourself overpowered for the content.) There are a few tidbits of information that I know will help you to become a good tank and those are:

Dont turn your back to mobs ever.

learn to use and love line of sight(basically pulling groups with casters or ranged and then hiding behind a corner so they group up and run to YOU instead of the other way around)

Learn to LOVE to interrupt as any spell not cast is less damage to you or the group.

go into keybindings and set a key for at least a skull target...its not entirely necessary but later on it will help...people generally will kill whatever you mark and then you dont have to deal with dps all over the place(my own personal hell <_<)

and last but most important...is to be as attentive as you can.
What i mean is watch your group...anticipate things...that group you walked by seem like a close call? that probably means a dps will accidentally pull it if they arent paying attention. Healer seem to have trouble keeping pace with you? slow up a bit...suggest CC targets. Mob throwing out mines/void zones? move exaggeratedly, dont just take a step...take 5 and get used to the range of things before you get closer. and I know I said this before but if EVER you see a mob casting something...try to interrupt it. Not everything can be but many can.

Good luck to you Dreadful, and happy tanking.
Edited by Rado on 7/4/2011 11:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
also my DK tank is the least geared of my alts but you can look at his spec and glyph choices at least(hes in frost gear at the moment and yes its crap <_<)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadow-council/Milof/talent/primary
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Dreadful, Rado is correct. At the moment you don't have mastery, so you are going to rely on a lot of dodge and parry and your bone shield.

The main stats you want on your gear are stam and strength. Strength increases your damage and some what your threat, Stam gives you more surviability.

If you look at my talents they are straight from Elitist Jerks and is recommended as of 4.2. Although my gear is actually a little lacking at this time, it is an example of what to look for. The higher ilvl gear will give more of the main and secondary stats.

Finally as Rado suggested look on Elitist jerks, even though the Blood DK forum is more for raids there is still some useful information. Also the Blood DK guide in the class forum has some very useful information including a 5 man talent guide that is pretty straight foward.

Happy tanking
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I like to use an addon called "Threatplates" (note: it requires tidyplates) when tanking. It makes it a lot easier to monitor 2+ mobs*. If the mob that i'm not targetting is about to run off and attack someone else, threatplates makes it rather obvious. You can get them both from wowinterface
Another addon that is sometimes helpful is omen (threat meter).

If you reach a point where the random (and possibly undergeared) healer isn't having any trouble keeping you alive, you can start thinking about getting hit and expertise. Start with hit until you have 5%~, then work on getting 26~ expertise. These two stats help give you threat.

*if you ever get into a situation where there are 40+ mobs around you, your framerate is going to take a hit.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
07/05/2011 11:06 AMPosted by Relentless
If you reach a point where the random (and possibly undergeared) healer isn't having any trouble keeping you alive, you can start thinking about getting hit and expertise. Start with hit until you have 5%~, then work on getting 26~ expertise. These two stats help give you threat.

As someone with a tank of every possible class(two pallies even) I cannot stress more about not doing this. For one expertise up to the soft cap is always better than hit...but you never want to gear for either. You will get splatterings here and there just based on leveling gear but its never something to shoot for...if healers are keeping you up fine then you are doing it right and dont need to change a thing.

In short. Dont gear for hit and expertise. Rotation issues will solve threat as will vengeance. but neither of those will make up for a lack of enough dodge/parry(/mastery once you get to 80)
Reply Quote
thank you for all your help
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
As someone with a tank of every possible class(two pallies even) I cannot stress more about not doing this. For one expertise up to the soft cap is always better than hit...

I would disagree with this a tiny bit - if given a choice of leveling gear with either str/stam or stam/exp I would advise the expertise/hit. If for no other reason than ensuring your death strikes land. You miss those, you miss the heals. With DK damage being so spikey, death strike is a must - but more to the point, its imperative. Having said that, once you get to 85, you will find that you have Expertise to spare (and by a wide margin). It's just a little harder to come by on leveling gear and with leveling healers often being off-specs, healing can be "sporadic" at times...

Elitist Jerks is a great website for learning the fundamentals of DK Tanking...

edit: nice to see someone else with two pallies!
Edited by Diskostu on 7/8/2011 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I would disagree with this a tiny bit - if given a choice of leveling gear with either str/stam or stam/exp I would advise the expertise/hit. If for no other reason than ensuring your death strikes land. You miss those, you miss the heals. With DK damage being so spikey, death strike is a must - but more to the point, its imperative. Having said that, once you get to 85, you will find that you have Expertise to spare (and by a wide margin). It's just a little harder to come by on leveling gear and with leveling healers often being off-specs, healing can be "sporadic" at times...

Thing is...prior to cata reg levels(ie 80+) you can almost solo the places as a DK so that extra expertise isnt imperative. and either way you almost never choose between str and expertise its the choice between expertise and defensive stats(which is what i was comparing) and smoothing out your damage intake as a DK > having to hit DS twice every once in a while because the first one missed.

Also while leveling you don't really deal with skull mobs hence the whole argument concerning 26 expertise and 8% hit would only entail to lvl 85. dungeon mobs as you level are rarely higher level than you making your miss chance a pittance(only time I think you will see higher level mobs is at 58/68/78 if you choose to go to the next expac's dungeons early.

In short, expertise and hit are only a minimal concern at higher levels(ie max level) and are still overshadowed by defensive stats. When leveling if you are worried about healers you are still better off gearing for avoidance over exp/hit.

And yeah Im a glutton for punishment :o on my horde pally (70) me and a healer friend had gotten so tired of pugs that we duo'd every instance at level up to that point <_< everything before cata got nerfed hard...BoA's help a lot tho :o
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]