Explanation of 371 honor gear...

85 Worgen Druid
I see a lot of people defending the 371 honor set as "well documented" and happening "every patch for 7 seasons" and other similar comments and felt an impetus to explain to those individuals why the 371 set does not fall within expected, documented, or historical context.

Here is what actually happened.

In 4.1 there were three PvP sets.

Bloodthirsty (Blue) - Honor Points
Vicious (Epic - 365) - Conquest Points
2200+ Vicious (Epic - 365, different color) - Free trade in for 2200+ (purely aesthetic set)

The expected, historic behavior was for the Vicious (Epic - 365) set to become an honor set, and for the new Season 10 set to become the new conquest set. This is analogous to valor gear becoming justice gear and new valor gear being introduced.

When 4.2 hit, this is exactly what happened. The current "conquest" gear became "honor" gear and the new "conquest" gear would be introduced with the new season.

Vicious (Epic - 365) - Honor Gear
Ruthless (Epic - 384) - Conquest Gear

This was exactly what everyone expected to happen. This is exactly what has been happening every new tier for quite some time. This is exactly what happened... for one week.

Now today this happened:

Vicious (Epic - 371) - Honor Gear
Ruthless (Epic - 384) - Conquest Gear

Wait... what? Blizzard created an entirely new set, which did not exist in the game in 4.1 - was not documented in any way - and replaced the old 365 set one week after the old set became available.

There was absolutely no mention of this change incoming. It would be akin to moving the valor gear to justice gear. Waiting one week for everyone to farm up the newly-justificated gear, and then removing that gear from the game and creating an entirely new set of justice gear that did not exist as conquest gear in 4.1

If you are incapable of understanding why this is different from anything which has happened in the past, why this is unacceptable, and why this would never have been done to PvE'ers then I don't know how to explain it to you.

--------------------

Nobody is justified in being upset that arena players have to honor grind again this season, we need some incentive to go into Battlegrounds each new season and this is actually an elegant way of accomplishing that.

The only justified reason anyone is upset is that Blizzard gave us a new honor tier which lasted exactly one week before, with no warning or documentation, replacing it with a new previously non-existent tier.

This is not a case of Blizzard taking old conquest gear and pushing it down to honor gear... They did that a week ago.
85 Undead Rogue
amen. amennn
85 Dwarf Shaman
Great post. 6 item levels won't stop bad PvPers to suddenly start dominating, but it was a certain spit in the face for alt grinders and people who were grinding for the rest of their pieces.
15 Tauren Paladin
Well stated
painfully tru
87 Draenei Priest
Those pieces were on PTR for most of it, I guess MMO-Champ just didn't say anything about it so they feel "undocumented".

It sucks, but it's akin to what was done in BC where you had to regrind offpieces every season anyway (and those took a lot longer than current pieces)
85 Gnome Rogue
It was a certain spit in the face for alt grinders and people who were grinding for the rest of their pieces.
90 Troll Hunter
Thanks for the reference post, OP. I'm sure it will be referred to quite a few times over the next few days.
85 Tauren Shaman
Lets see what type of excuse they come up with this time to get out of trouble.
85 Human Paladin
this is unfarkingbelievable and total bait-and-switch BS
100 Night Elf Druid
Wasnt the 2200+ rating pvp gear 371, Im pretty sure it wasnt just for looks, it was always there.
Edited by Treselle on 7/5/2011 1:14 PM PDT
70 Orc Warrior
Wasn't that new set on the test realm, just no confirmation from Blizzard on what was going to be done with it? Don't act like it magically appeared out of nowhere.
90 Orc Shaman
07/05/2011 01:12 PMPosted by Replicate
Lets see what type of excuse they come up with this time to get out of trouble.

They dont need to make an excuse its thier game you just pay for the ability to log in
85 Draenei Shaman
07/05/2011 01:13 PMPosted by Treselle
Wasnt the 2200+ rating pvp gear 371, Im pretty sure it wasnt just for looks, it was always there.

There were 371 weapons, that's all that was upgraded in getting 2200.

And in this case, the weapons didn't move up to 371, honor still has only the 365.
85 Worgen Druid
Those pieces were on PTR for most of it, I guess MMO-Champ just didn't say anything about it so they feel "undocumented".

It sucks, but it's akin to what was done in BC where you had to regrind offpieces every season anyway (and those took a lot longer than current pieces)

When did the responsibility of documenting/announcing major game changes fall onto MMO-Champion and not Blizzard?

What possible motive could Blizzard have had for making a tier of gear available for one week? Can anyone cite a single example of this having ever been done before in World of Warcraft?

Like I said in my original post - I actually agree that creating a new honor tier for each season is a good idea; it gives people who completed their arena gear last season a reason to battleground again this season. That is not the issue.

The sole issue that I take offense with is that a new tier of gear was made available for a single week before becoming outdated. This has never been done before, there was no warning or documentation of this happening. Gear that I actually earned through arena season 9 I have no issue with; it's the gear that I spent hours over this past weekend grinding out only to be replaced with no announcement, warning, and absolutely no precedent being outdated one week after it was made available that I take issue with.
85 Worgen Druid
07/05/2011 01:13 PMPosted by Treselle

No, the only 2200+ items which had any stat advantage over the sub-2200 items were the weapons, not the armor pieces. Armor pieces only had a re-coloring attached to them (for visual prowess).

The weapons are not an issue, and were not updated this week. Honor weapons are still 365.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]