Lord Rhyolith turn mechanic: Works how?

90 Tauren Druid
For the past two days, my guild has been doing attempts on Rhyolith, thinking it would be a simple encounter, and at the beginning it is. However, after about 2-3 minutes, (boss stack at 30/hit 5 volcanoes), no matter how much we focus on a foot, the turn meter won't budge and he'll just keep going straight into lava. Even when we have no dots on the other foot, no movement with every DPS on it.

Any idea what other issues this could be? When we have two melee + one ranged on the feet, turning isn't a problem, but when he drops a few stacks of his armor and even with all dps on a single foot, there's no change in direction.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Sounds like something is going wrong, it gets easier to steer him as time passes and you clear off the armor. Is someone cleaving? Sounds like no, but that's pretty much 100% not the behavior we had just a little bit ago. You can check the other thread on these forums that had some advice.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
We were actually having a similar issue on Tuesday that eventually had us go kill Shannox instead. After a while it seemed that turning him was essentially impossible regardless of how much DPS was being poured into it.

I've seen a lot more Rhyolith kills popping up today, so I have to wonder if something was bugged and fixed but not documented.
Reply Quote
1 Goblin Rogue
It seemed bugged for us.

From the videos I have seen it looked as if turning him was much easier than what we had experienced today. Turning him more than 90 degrees was extremely difficult, and by that time the raid had too many stacks and we were all taking far too much damage.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Only attack the right leg and do not cleave. If you focus on a single leg the whole time it is easier to just have someone working on the adds switch over really fast to burn it and press a hard turn. The real hard part is driving him while avoiding the lines of fire after getting stomped. That wiped us a few times.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Just killed him tonight, and had no issues in steering him. We had 3 melee always attacking the feet and he turned fast.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Was buggy as hell for us.

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Multimedia/EpisodeSounds/3ACV01/Sound10.mp3

Sums up my feelings.
Reply Quote
15 Draenei Shaman
Lord Rhyolith isn't bad he was easy us. You say you been working two days on it?? we had 2 melee and 1 range would help with steering him i think they normally were hitting the right leg but sometimes swap to left to get him to hit the volcanos. How are you guys handling the adds with all dps on leg that also sounds buggy. I mostly healed this so i cant really give much more info then this. Keep trying!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
The turn mechanic worked as intended for us. Had I think...6 DPS or so assigned to the feet? Something like that. Took a few wipes for people to learn left from right, but overall it worked as I assume it's intended to work.

I'd check to make sure people aren't tunneling the wrong foot.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
We attempted this boss tonight, and managed to get him as far as taking all his stacks off.

At first it seemed almost impossible to turn him, so we put 4 dps on him.

We then tried to only attacking the right leg. Worked but we ended up wipe-ing after missing an active volcano(still learning the fight).

After awhile it seemed it got harder and harder to make the leg we were focusing on to turn as the fight went on.

We also had a problem with the meter trying to reset, whilst focusing on only the right leg. Though switching to an opposite leg made it react almost instantly.
Edited by Maliken on 6/30/2011 6:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
While he was going straight you stopped DPSing the legs altogether right? That's what we were doing and it worked just fight. Fury War + Enh shaman on steering, with only auto attacks when he needed to go straight.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
We worked on him in 10-man last night, and the turning seemed very inconsistent. At one point we needed a hard left and I said as much in vent. 99% sure everybody was on the correct foot, but he wouldn't budge from a straight move. I even targetted the other foot briefly and there were zero dots on it. Sometimes he seems to act just as you expect, others not so much.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Once we get Shannox and Beth down I think that our guild is going for Rhyolith. I was wondering can you do this fight with 1 melee DPS? Are raid setup is:

Tank: Warrior
Tank: Pally
Melee:DK (me)
Healer:Preist
Healer:Pally
Healer:Shaman
Ranged:Hunter
Ranged:Hunter or Mage
Ranged:Lock
Ragged:Shadow Preist

Now sometimes we have a second melee (Warrior) but he has connection issues. So just wondering if anyone has tried this.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
06/30/2011 06:53 AMPosted by Maliken
We also had a problem with the meter trying to reset, whilst focusing on only the right leg. Though switching to an opposite leg made it react almost instantly.

Rhy constantly trys to go back in the middle of the meter so he can walk straight.

On top of that, if there is dots on the other leg, you have to not only beat the dps of the "dps/time" required to turn him, but also the DoTs on the other leg, Making it harder.

TL:DR

Don't use dots or cleave effects.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Once we get Shannox and Beth down I think that our guild is going for Rhyolith. I was wondering can you do this fight with 1 melee DPS? Are raid setup is:

Tank: Warrior
Tank: Pally
Melee:DK (me)
Healer:Preist
Healer:Pally
Healer:Shaman
Ranged:Hunter
Ranged:Hunter or Mage
Ranged:Lock
Ragged:Shadow Preist

Now sometimes we have a second melee (Warrior) but he has connection issues. So just wondering if anyone has tried this.

Rhyolith is a 1 tank fight.

Go 1 Tank, 6 dps, 3 healers.

3 dps is sufficient on the leggs. Just make sure they are not heavy DoT users and can do nice controllable burst damage. They don't have to be melee, it just makes it easier if it is melee.

The other 3 dps takes care of the adds. And these dps have to be range, because of the big fire add that spawns has a constant fire aoe aura that pulses at a 5-6 yard radius.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]