Battle.net Authenticator Changes(Cont. #13)

(Locked)

100 Troll Shaman
Saturday 16 July 2011 (tomorrow to me) will mark one month since these threads were started to “collect feedback” on the issue.

Still no response at all to any of the concerns posted in these threads.

I still hope they will offer an opt-out like almost all of those who have posted have requested, but I’m not holding my breath.
85 Draenei Shaman
4 weeks and still nothing from them..... Seriously....

seems funny though that people are saying SC still requires the auth code at EVERY login like its supposed t be. So why in the hell would change WoW?? Seems like they got things backwards. Dont have near the amount of crap to lose if SC gets hacked.
85 Draenei Shaman
Saturday 16 July 2011 (tomorrow to me) will mark one month since these threads were started to “collect feedback” on the issue.

Still no response at all to any of the concerns posted in these threads.

I still hope they will offer an opt-out like almost all of those who have posted have requested, but I’m not holding my breath.

I thought it was today the 15th that was the 4 week mark. I'm in NY as well(saw you post that somewhere in these threads unless it was another troll...) and I'm pretty sure it was a friday that this whole mess started on.

Not holding my breath either. Just biding my time till my renewal comes up and goes by. I will not renew if this is not fixed. 9 more days...
100 Troll Shaman
I thought it was today the 15th that was the 4 week mark. I'm in NY as well (saw you post that somewhere in these threads unless it was another troll...) and I'm pretty sure it was a friday that this whole mess started on.

Today, the 15th, is one month from when the change was made without any warning scaring everyone with an authenticator, Saturday is one month from when they announced the change and started the first thread. They did it backwards.

I'm in Rochester New York.
100 Blood Elf Hunter
One month and counting and still no answers. I don't know how much longer that we can keep these threads going, because so may of use have dropped their subscription. Oh well one good thing is that this is one of two forums that allows players with inactive account to post.
85 Draenei Shaman
Today, the 15th, is one month from when the change was made without any warning scaring everyone with an authenticator, Saturday is one month from when they announced the change and started the first thread. They did it backwards.

I'm in Rochester New York.

Ahh ok. Yeah now that I go back and look you are correct.

Ok kool so I was right it was you and not another troll. I'm in Kingston myself.

07/15/2011 01:41 PMPosted by Ewing
One month and counting and still no answers. I don't know how much longer that we can keep these threads going, because so may of use have dropped their subscription. Oh well one good thing is that this is one of two forums that allows players with inactive account to post.

You can post here on a inactive account?? I did not know that. Maybe I will still bug them once my account goes inactive...
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Is Blizzard support intentionally ignoring player feedback on this recent security change?
100 Human Warrior
Confirmation on the EU forums that the system should prompt for an Authenticator code weekly.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2226156035?page=27#536
85 Draenei Shaman
Confirmation on the EU forums that the system should prompt for an Authenticator code weekly.

<a href="http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2226156035?page=27#536">http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2226156035?page=27#536</a>

Screw the EU forums. Why cant someone post here?? And we don't want weekly authentication. We want daily every login authentication.....
85 Draenei Death Knight
07/15/2011 07:24 PMPosted by Vallira
Screw the EU forums. Why cant someone post here?? And we don't want weekly authentication. We want daily every login authentication.....

Who knows why they don't want to give some sort of closure. Last time they talked about something this hot it blew up in their faces so they might be a little bit gun shy.

I'll just keep coming back one a week as long as my authinticator only works once a week.
85 Draenei Shaman
Saturday... Not gonna hear anything now for sure. They all went home for the weekend. Although I really didn't expect to hear anything at all from them....

Show's plain and clear that they do not care. If they did they would have at least addressed the concern's stated herein by the many people that have posted with concern's. They would also have addressed the fact that many people were informed to get one of these authenticators by a blizzard employee to help against domestic attacks(sibling's, spouses, etc).

The fact that it does not say anything in the sales page about domestic attack's does not matter. People were told to get them in these cases. If you want to go by what is said there... Well it states there that you will use the authenticator at every login.... And now all of a sudden you don't.

Oh well 4 years I've been playing. But this is it. I don't really need an authenticator but I got one for the added security and now it has been removed with no comments on the concern's of the patron's of the game....

I will never buy another blizzard product after this. A level of trust was broken and that is something that is very hard if not almost impossible to get back....
85 Blood Elf Rogue

I personally like the authentication process to happen upon each login as well... If nothing else... for the small feeling of security it did give. IMO.
85 Undead Warrior
I know one of the big concerns is the lack of response from Blizzard. I know I feel a little left out in the cold, but anyone who has been around the forums long enough know how callous the average poster can be. Not to mention the trolls and the less than educated. im sure Blizzard has heard our plea. We cannot how ever give up. We must keep this alive so that they know we want something done about what many consider a lessening of the security of player's accounts with authenticaters tied to them. Also the long we keep this up the more it hopefully get out to other players who don't know so that they can themselves voice their concern.

edit: I found this thread on the 4th page when I posted this.
Edited by Anshahak on 7/16/2011 11:08 PM PDT
90 Human Rogue
Honestly, this could all be fixed if blizzard just had a checkbox at the login screen to toggle it on and off.
100 Dwarf Paladin
bump to top
85 Blood Elf Priest

<a href="http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2226156035?page=27#536">http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2226156035?page=27#536</a>

Once a week just isn't good enough. Everyone with an authenticator bought it for the security and with the knowledge that logging in would require the code EVERY time.

As I mentioned in a previous post on here, I have been prompted for a code exactly twice since this change was made. Once due to a password error and then again as a random request. I would have to go back thru all my posts to find out when the random request was so I can start tracking that.

The interesting thing I pointed out before is that I log on using 3 different computers here at home. Both times I've been prompted for a code it's been on my main computer. I have NEVER been prompted for a code on any of the other computers I use.

I think it's BS that the EU forums can get a reply about this issue but we cannot.

85 Tauren Druid
Guys. IP Addresses are not the only thing they check for.

That little guardian tool that WoW uses to scan your memory for hacks also takes note of your hardware configuration, Windows version, location of the WoW directory, and myriad other things. they use all this to make bloody sure it's the same computer. This is called System Fingerprinting.
I'm sure that if you swapped video cards or reinstalled windows, it would ask for your authenticator code again.

That's a LOT of info to spoof. I very much doubt that this is an issue.

HOWEVER, I agree with many of you about making this an optional thing to set in your account. some people simply feel better punching in the Auth code each time, and there are the issues with the over the shoulder/stupid housemate hacks. while a very small aspect of players would come uner this particular issue, the consensus is Overwhelmingly in favor of an opt-out in Battle.net account management.

Blizz, make that happen, and everybody's happy.

(and jeez, had to go through fourteen darn threads just to be able to post this.. Have we even gotten a single reply form a blue about this yet?)
Edited by Ganado on 7/17/2011 9:02 AM PDT
93 Troll Shaman
07/17/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Ganado
(and jeez, had to go through fourteen darn threads just to be able to post this.. Have we even gotten a single reply form a blue about this yet?)

Nope. The closest we've gotten are a few vague responses from Bliz's Twitter account that have been saying 'working as intended', and a couple of responses on the EU forums. (One of which at least acknowledged there was a problem, if I recall rightly.) Here? Nada. Despite this being Technical Support, we were told that they were reading these threads, but they were not going to post anything in them. If you go and tried starting another thread in the more visible General (or anything else) forums, it got locked, deleted, moved right back to Tech Support, and if you were unlucky you got a temp ban on top. At this rate, the people threatening to ask Bliz directly at Blizcon in October ARE going to get their chance!

Guys. IP Addresses are not the only thing they check for.

That little guardian tool that WoW uses to scan your memory for hacks also takes note of your hardware configuration, Windows version, location of the WoW directory, and myriad other things. they use all this to make bloody sure it's the same computer. This is called System Fingerprinting.
I'm sure that if you swapped video cards or reinstalled windows, it would ask for your authenticator code again.

That's a LOT of info to spoof. I very much doubt that this is an issue.

Actually, I believe that most or all of that information can be spoofed via a virtual machine setup. Further, don't forget that the system counts a computer as safe after only a single use. That means that if you logged into a public/friend across the way/library/campus computer lab computer anytime in the past seven (now) months, that computer is marked as safe and is fair game for anyone with access to it. Doubly so if someone keylogged it (which is frighteningly easy). For obvious reasons we haven't been able to confirm the following, but it appears likely that if you were hacked anytime in the past seven months, THAT computer is now marked as safe since it successfully logged in once. Lovely! >.<

Further, don't forget that several people confirmed the possibility of a Remote Access hack, which goes through YOUR computer and is thus not asked for an auth because it IS your computer, simply relaying all of the information to the attacking computer. Think of a Remote Access hack as someone pulling money out of an atm because a mugger is standing behind him with a gun at his back. The guy is using his own card and pin to access his own money, BUT the attacker is the one who ordered the guy over to the atm, and is the one who is ending up with the money. As if that wasn't enough, someone affected by a Remote Access hack will likely NOT have their account restored since their own computer was the one committing the crime. (Not to mention that they will be penalized for theft if anything was taken from the guild bank, since 'they' were the attackers.) But yeah, a Remote Access hack? WoW starts right up, does NOT ask for an auth, and the attacker can do whatever he wants with the account. (And computer, to be fair.)

Pardon my tone of voice, but I'm running an enrage debuff at this point. This should have been corrected a bloody MONTH ago, the day after it got ninja-changed!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]