Call to Arms: Alterac Valley Classic

85 Human Mage
What really gets me is Isle of Conquest. Around when the "Bring Back Old AV" threads really peaked in BC, I guess Blizz decided to try making another "epic" 40v40 battleground. Unfortunately, this was not even close to the glory of Classic AV, for a number of reasons.

There was no lore. It was just Boss #1 and his siege engines versus Boss #2 and... the same siege engines. The map feels bare and isn't immersive at all. Even today's mutilated version of AV gives the impression that it is a big battle, and that the outcome might actually matter. I knew Drek'Thar and Vandarr's names after two or three battles back when I was level 51. I've done Isle of Conquest maybe twenty times and I have no idea who those NPC's are, and frankly I don't care about them.

The vehicle combat is something else I'm not a fan of. The snaring game gets old fast when I'm attacking a machine rather than a player or enemy NPC who I hate and want to kill. Plus, I rolled my character so I could play that character, not some mount with two abilities. Player vs Wall? Nope, not doing it for me.

I think the AV system of gathering resources to outfit elite characters to come to the rescue provides a much more personable way of breaking through the front lines.

Anyways, we asked for "Classic AV" but instead were handed "Something Like AV But Not Really." Now that there are more than twice the number of battlegrounds as there were in Vanilla, there has never been a better time to cut AV from the random queue and restore it to its full immersive glory. I'm not an RP'er but I love a good, solid backstory, and there's no battleground more rich in flavour than Classic AV.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't think it's the BG, the playerbase has changed to this instant gratification fixated group. GO GO GO, PULL PULL PULL, NOW NOW NOW. It's all I hear. I get into an AV and almost always, before the group starts, someone pops lust and spams. "U MAD BRO?".

BG chat was always full of whining, "You guys suck" "Worst group ever", "Etc." Now it's just random "Zerg", people trolling eachother, and a slew of absolutely disgusting comments that seem to be put together by some Mad Gab Bot designed to spew forth the most vile and disgusting things ever said.

I stopped showing up in AV with my holy gear on to heal, I just put on my PvE prot gear and go to Van and tank him. It's all I can do because being the only person on defense isn't fun unless you're looking to have the top deaths in the BG (which might be a cool achievement).

I loved AV. Epic battles that lasted hours of pushing the opposing team back were the most fun. I can even remember a time when the wait for AV was two hours, but I'd still wait just because it was soo much fun and honor.
Edited by Argyles on 7/2/2011 8:23 AM PDT
85 Human Mage
Think of the teamwork skills PvPers could develop if merely capturing a tower from just the NPC's actually required 2-3 people and a little CC. Now imagine that actually transferring into other battlegrounds.

Yes, many people want fast, instant gratification, but there is something missing for the... i want to say the more sophisticated crowd, but it's not that. There's definitely a visceral thrill involved in a three hour match when your defense is crumbling but suddenly the cry goes out "Come to field of strife to help summon Ivus!"

Some people just want that long, legendary battle that you talk about in guild chat for hours afterward, and now that battlegrounds are matched (to an extent) by realm, this is the perfect opportunity. I'd love to get a guild group of 5, go in and sneak past Murp to ninja Tower Point, through a gauntlet of dangerous, not-merely-decorative NPC's.
Edited by Foury on 7/2/2011 9:14 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Interestingly enough, the previous AV weekend in one of the AVs I did I managed to farm enough kills and grab enough bloods to solo-trigger the Lokhar summon (shaman rides into the center of the map part)

Too bad the game ended before the actual summoning started :(
100 Human Warrior
I enjoyed reading your posts but I take issue with two points.

07/01/2011 02:17 PMPosted by Foury
Well, the no-longer-aptly-named Field of Strife was once a bloody battlefield, littered with corpses and feeling, in general, very strife-y.
The Field of Strife is never very strife-y, and it wasn't back in the lvl 60 days either. I don't know why the "bring back classic AV" crowd keeps pushing the idea that it was. It's just too wide and easy to get past enemy groups.

07/01/2011 02:19 PMPosted by Foury
extra things like the mines utterly wasted
Even if you're not doing the mine turn in, the mines do one very important thing by just having them, they add reinforcements to your reinforcement counter.

I tried the ram taming quest today, just to see if I could tame a single ram before the zerg arrived.

The questgiver didn't even give me the training collar I needed for the quest.
I found myself back at the base because I had used my Stormpike Insignia Rank 6 (which I also use to get into the "I played AV in the old days" clubhouse) to recap a bunker and kill a druid. The game was almost over and I wouldn't make it back south fast enough so I tried the ram quest and it did give me a collar and I turned a ram in. I took the quest again then the game ended and I ended up toting Stormpike Training Collar around for a couple of days before I realized it was there and chucked it. So, this quest does still work, I assume the mine turn-ins do also.

In general, I'd be happy if they would bring back original AV, but it'll never happen.
Edited by Foulwind on 7/2/2011 12:36 PM PDT
71 Undead Rogue
/signed
85 Tauren Druid
Well said and exactly how i feel about this once epic battleground.
85 Night Elf Druid
Instead of adding additional PvE elements into a PvP setting, force players to constantly fight over objectives. Perhaps Tower Point and Icewing Bunker can't be captured until Iceblood Tower and Stonehearth Bunker are captured. (Capture times lowered) This forces people to stay in a localized setting at least in the beginning of the game. Once a team moves up, Offenses and Defenses can be formed. This adds a reason to capture Snowfall Graveyard.

Perhaps in addition to this, Blizzard could implement an in-game function that splits players into a defensive and offensive squad automatically, and locks players who join together with each other so they end up on the same squad. Maybe set it so it balances ItemLvl on opposing offenses and defenses to keep it relatively fair and not totally random.

Edit: Also like in OPs ideas and in mine, games will be lengthened and as stated before, people want in, their honor, then out. Quick. The amount of honor rewarded in a battleground should be roughly proportional to the amount of time you spend in it. So, AVs should award much more then say, a quick SOTA, or WSG.
Edited by Supermassive on 7/2/2011 12:58 PM PDT
85 Human Mage
The Field of Strife is never very strife-y, and it wasn't back in the lvl 60 days either. I don't know why the "bring back classic AV" crowd keeps pushing the idea that it was. It's just too wide and easy to get past enemy groups.

07/01/2011 02:19 PMPosted by Foury
extra things like the mines utterly wasted

Even if you're not doing the mine turn in, the mines do one very important thing by just having them, they add reinforcements to your reinforcement counter.

I wasn't actually around for Korrak (Though I do remember the Lieutenants quite well), so I just assumed that the stories I'd heard about the Field of Strife being bloody were true. I also heard there were landmines and shredders involved.

In regards to the mines, the reinforcements added don't seem to amount to much, and there is only time to do the turn-in quest once before the enemy team takes over the area and starts killing the quest NPC's. Maybe not "utterly wasted" but certainly not as useful as they could be.

And maybe the ram quest only works sometimes, because I definitely did not get the training collar. I made absolutely sure that it was not in my bags, and there was no "You receive quest item" message. Bugged, methinks?
Edited by Foury on 7/2/2011 1:09 PM PDT
85 Undead Rogue
Yeah i miss the old AV, ALOT .

But you know what I also remember? The massive Alliance boycott of AV ( 2hour que times horde side) and the resulting patch that soon followed, and Blizzard placing them closer to objectives than us. And somehow... It never got changed to even it out. Ran 8 AV randoms today and lost every single one. Started to look at a pattern of ; Defense @ galv Didn't work, Zerging to van didn't work, Zerg with Backcap teams... You guessed it.. Didnt work.

Now maybe its due to that we just give up because... Well we know its the new AV. But either way this used to be my Favorite BG now I hate it. GG blizz.
Edited by Vendettà on 7/2/2011 1:29 PM PDT
85 Human Mage
To those who might suggest that this will never happen: It's true that Blizzard has, in the distant past, said that they have no plans for this. However, that was over four years ago, and this entire expansion is about going back and reworking old content, so if ever there was a time to push for Classic AV again, that time is now.

I have seen far more threads about this in the past than many other requests like Heroic Deadmines, which we now have. Classic AV is something that keeps cropping up again and again, and I think it's about time we got an "endgame" battleground - a place to go when you don't care about the quick and dirty honor farm, and you just want a whole pile of awesome.

I mean, come on. A whole pile of it! Who doesn't want that much awesome?
Edited by Foury on 7/2/2011 2:17 PM PDT
70 Night Elf Druid
TLDR: Bring back Classic AV!

But then how will the PvE heroes farm honor without actually having to fight other players?

Whatever will i do?
70 Night Elf Druid
and you just want a whole pile of awesome.

I mean, come on. A whole pile of it! Who doesn't want that much awesome?

You, sir, are one of the smartiest writers ive ever seen.
100 Human Warrior
07/02/2011 01:07 PMPosted by Foury
I wasn't actually around for Korrak (Though I do remember the Lieutenants quite well), so I just assumed that the stories I'd heard about the Field of Strife being bloody were true. I also heard there were landmines and shredders involved.
Korrak was a pain in the butt. No, there weren't landmines and shredders in the Field, I can just imagine the rivers of tears from the anti-vehicle people if there were. There was a quest for something you had to loot from that area where the static shredders are, but that quest isn't available any more.

In regards to the mines, the reinforcements added don't seem to amount to much, and there is only time to do the turn-in quest once before the enemy team takes over the area and starts killing the quest NPC's. Maybe not "utterly wasted" but certainly not as useful as they could be.
They can definitely make a difference in a close game, especially if you hold both.

07/02/2011 01:07 PMPosted by Foury
And maybe the ram quest only works sometimes, because I definitely did not get the training collar. I made absolutely sure that it was not in my bags, and there was no "You receive quest item" message. Bugged, methinks?
That is definitely a possibility.
This idea has merit.

I see a lot of complaints as the game starts that people ended up in av. It is also the only bg I desert with any frequency (one more... unless it is av, in which case it is bed time.)

This used to be an epic battleground, now it is the one nobody wants to get.
85 Goblin Death Knight
Unfortunately Blizz clams they lessen to the people but they don't. if they did the Epic old AV would of been brought back ages ago. 90% of Av isn't used anymore and its sad. You sir get a +1 right hear.
85 Tauren Druid
My only regret with this game is that I didn't play it when those day long AV battles existed.
approved
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]