Call to Arms: Alterac Valley Classic

85 Human Mage
07/10/2011 06:01 PMPosted by Onamaribar
AV was always terrible. The only reason people did it a long time ago was to farm the rep to get a quick epic since they were a lot harder to get back then.

I'm sure that may have been the case for some people, but certainly not all. Note that we're also asking for AV to be removed from the random queue, so that those who think it terrible need not suffer through it.
87 Night Elf Druid
AV was always terrible. The only reason people did it a long time ago was to farm the rep to get a quick epic since they were a lot harder to get back then.

Just curious, but how was it terrible? Gear mongers i could really care less about, and why would they even want the trinket? It gives like what, +6 frost resistance? I've never heard anyone do that, and i highly doubt somebody wants to sit through 4+ hour games that they hate just for a lame trinket that's practically useless outside the battleground.

Edit: I guess it would be usefull for tanks with the dodge but that's about it, and don't forget the only legitiment tanks in vanilla were warriors so that would be only one class farming for it.
Edited by Shadownature on 7/10/2011 6:37 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Hunter

Oh, and we could use an updated AV trinket. :)

Actually I think they should update all the gear from the 3 core battle ground NPCs!!
85 Human Mage
07/11/2011 04:35 AMPosted by Faerondil
Actually I think they should update all the gear from the 3 core battle ground NPCs!!

It would be nice to have additional gear with interesting effects available through BG rep or just honor items attainable from specific BG vendors. I think the Arathi Basin vendors offer level 30-50 boots that increase run speed slightly, for instance. It would be great to get gear like that from AV vendors or quests that is not necessarily more powerful statwise, but includes some unusual effect.
100 Orc Warrior
just an idea but wat if it was like the new WG and TB?
85 Human Mage
07/11/2011 05:41 PMPosted by Brianucky
just an idea but wat if it was like the new WG and TB?

While it does, as a large-scale battle, feel similar to those open-world combat zones, I think that most of the people advocating these changes would prefer to be able to queue for AV at any time.

The ability to leave the zone without penalty during a four-hour game would be convenient, but with the length of battle we're looking to bring back, Alterac Valley matches would only occur about once every 6-8 hours if it were non-instanced.

In addition, an open-world battle zone requires players to be at the level cap, whereas instanced battlegrounds can be for a range of levels.

Your idea is interesting, but I don't think most of the people in this thread would consider it a satisfactory solution.
Edited by Foury on 7/11/2011 6:18 PM PDT
100 Night Elf Druid

No. The teleport functionality needs to be added to the battle tabards for the respective factions and the trinkets made usable for the levels they were designed for (e.g. providing useful stats for everyone instead of random rubbish like frost resistance). That way no new trinkets need to be added ever again and players don't gimp themselves by equipping a sub-par trinket (and it really is ridiculous now that we're 25 levels above the old trinket that this issue hasn't been addressed).
85 Human Mage
07/11/2011 07:17 PMPosted by Bynir

No. The teleport functionality needs to be added to the battle tabards for the respective factions and the trinkets made usable for the levels they were designed for (e.g. providing useful stats for everyone instead of random rubbish like frost resistance). That way no new trinkets need to be added ever again and players don't gimp themselves by equipping a sub-par trinket (and it really is ridiculous now that we're 25 levels above the old trinket that this issue hasn't been addressed).

That is an excellent point. Teleporting Stormpike tabards for the win.

Classic AV + small modern enhancements like this = the perfect epic battleground.
90 Night Elf Warrior
I agree.
100 Night Elf Warrior
Engaging and well written. Kudos for your efforts, Foury.

I never got to join in the long, drawn-out, multi-hour battles I've heard so much about, but making the quests and other aspects of this BG relevant again would be so welcome.

My fondest memories of AV were long (by current standards), drawn out fights where we really had to work for a win.

The basic framework is already in place. They (the devs) just need to make it relevant for max level players again.
40 Gnome Priest
In immortal Yoda-speak: Talented writer, are you. Yes, talented writer. I'm thinking they need to keep the current AV and implement long version AV as separate from the normal bg queue. Call it, Heroic AV perhaps. Up the ante. Sweeten the pot.
19 Human Hunter
Bump
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I really like the teleporting tabards idea! some cool rep based gear would be nice too..
85 Troll Rogue
07/11/2011 07:17 PMPosted by Bynir
The teleport functionality needs to be added to the battle tabards for the respective factions and the trinkets made usable for the levels they were designed for (e.g. providing useful stats for everyone instead of random rubbish like frost resistance). That way no new trinkets need to be added ever again and players don't gimp themselves by equipping a sub-par trinket (and it really is ridiculous now that we're 25 levels above the old trinket that this issue hasn't been addressed).

Excellent idea. Would give us a reason to wear the AV tabards while playing AV. Right now I run around in my AB tabard just to show off how long I've pvped in this game, lol.

Another thought I had about AV. What if it were possible to rebuild the towers after they had been burned (and therefore restore the associated warmaster/marshall)? Allow me to explain my thinking...

If the changes/reversions we are discussing here were to happen, then chances are that the average length of an AV would go up, which most posters here agree would be a good thing. However, it means that the likelihood of joining an AV already in progress will probably go up. I remember joining AVs "back in the day" where my team was losing pretty badly, and people were leaving the BG in response. I think it would be interesting in this case to allow a sort of reset to the BG.

This doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) something that's easy to do. Maybe put it on a timer (like an hour or more), or have it require a large amount of turnins (similar to how we turn in armor scraps to buff up the NPCs), or both.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I figured I'd throw it out there to continue the discussion. If the queue times for "classic AV" are relatively short, then this probably wouldn't be needed. But if the queue time for an AV is long and I join one already in progress that's been heavily one sided, I'd like the chance to recover from the mess the previous AVers left.

Anyway, just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.
Edited by Hezza on 7/12/2011 2:05 PM PDT
85 Human Warrior
My post most likley will never get read since im on Page 8 but there is a simple way to slow the game down.

1.) At the moment the archers are hitting as hard as they did in BC .... why not actually make them strong and able to kill people? lol

2.) To force PVP they should definatly add a bonus to holding the majority of the graveyards. (owning more graveyards will create fights and then people will spawn back in there zone and join a push)

3.) Reinforcements??? I understand them, but when you get into conflict they go down waaay to fast... add more ?

4.) How come the AV pvp stuff and goddies never scaled? O dam we need help at Aid station/Relief hut!!! yeah ... let me zone back wearing a trink with 6 stam ...

5.) Field of strife was nice to have because well.... you needed it for the summon!

6.) Make your NPC's do something. Add elites to the minor bosses or add an elite to the towers .... Hurray one person caped the tower lets move to the next one.... or hurray we 2-3 maned galv/bal

I could go on for hours. Not ever suggestion would be ideal but they all would bring jazz to the game thats for sure.... and dont bring in dang tanks. That would be devistating to what was once our prized BG.
85 Troll Rogue
07/10/2011 05:53 PMPosted by Foury
As part of buffing the NPC's, it might be nice to get a little variety. Similar to how the Tol Barad quest has Shaman, Mage and Rogue NPC's, graveyards guards could spawn with a variety of random "classes" to add flavour. Trying to capture a graveyard when one of the NPC's is healing and another sheeping may help make it feel more immersive.

I like this idea. It would make taking a GY more than just mindlessly cleaving them down. I would also give them a shorter leash distance to make it a bit more difficult to have one player drag them away while a 2nd player caps the flag.
85 Human Mage
I'd like to thank everyone for keeping this thread so focused and constructive. I'm sure somebody at Blizzard gets paid to keep tabs the battleground forum (among other things) and has read it by now.

Let's keep the creative and/or supportive juices flowing and make sure we are heard. Remember, bringing back Awesome Alt-- err, sorry... Classic Alterac Valley, is a team effort. A quick post to show your support, a sticky request or even just a 'like' for any of the fantastic ideas in this thread will go a long way toward helping this dream become a reality once again.
Edited by Foury on 7/12/2011 5:08 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Mage
Yeah, I miss original AV with opposing sides actually fighting.

The gear just got to the point where people were able to kill Vann/Drek without destroying the towers and zergfest began, and destroyed AV as a BG, now it's one big pug PvE zone.

A few times, Blizzard did buff up the NPC's, which was only a temporary fix. Then last year Blizzard did two things right not only did they buff up the NPC's in the general's rooms, but had the damage taken and dealt by the NPC's scale with how many towers remained standing. This brought back the need for both sides to actively defend and engage other players, which started to make things fun.

A few times one team or the other would experiment with ensuring to get flying NPC's, the elemental lords, or the elite wolf riders/stormpike berserkers, but those NPC's weren't even a challenge anymore. I miss seeing one side or the other supporting the elementals to keep them alive and kill alliance so you pretty much got a guaranteed base capture if they lived.

They definitely need to rebuff/revamp the NPC's. I would suggest that at the beginning of each time new content is added with higher item levels, the NPC's difficulty increases automatically instead of us needing to wait for Blizzard to manually go change the code.

While some of those old 4-32hour matches were interesting, it did get old when it was happening every day for every match. I did like the resource addition so one side couldn't turtle for hours in their base and not even try to leave to get to the other side of the map.
Edited by Tathlynn on 7/12/2011 6:31 PM PDT
85 Tauren Druid
I too wish they would bring back old timey AV, unfortunately this is a topic that Blizz hasn't payed attention to in years, I am no programmer, but how hard would it be to bring back old AV as a seperate BG? that way the new players that like to zerg could all get together and suck together in the new BG while the old timers play in the fun old school one?

Anyone ever wonder how many thousands of players would have to boycott to get Blizz to listen? would it even be possible at this point with 2352342365232 million players worldwide?

I for one am already tired of the same old grind that has been going on for years, if they refuse to listen to us or even acknowledge we want the old AV back, maybe a boycott should be organized.....I for one wouldn't mind not paying my subscription for a few months, just a thought.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]