New Battle Chest and Free TBC Upgrade

90 Blood Elf Mage
This is rather nice, but it does leave me wondering. "Lowest possible" endgame has thus become level 70, even for those holding only a copy of the original game. There is no longer a specific need to keep any of the remaining level 60 raids, save nostalgia.

Patch 4.x - refurbished Ahn'Qiraj and removal of Molten Core/Blackwing Lair?
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
ITT: People crying because they just bought BC. Get over yourselves, seriously.

Also, for all you people complaining about just buying it, what about the people who bought it years ago?

"Why is the car I bought 2 years ago only $10,000 now? I bought it for $20,000, this is unfair!"

People who bought it years ago got their money's worth. People who JUST bought it yesterday probably will not.

My $40 for TBC was worth it because I used it to experience TBC content. Those who just bought it for $10 will not get their $10 worth.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
In addition, anyone who owns the original World of Warcraft, regardless of when they purchased the game, will automatically be able to access all of the content and features from The Burning Crusade expansion at no additional cost. It’s time to set forth from Azeroth, adventurer -- Outland awaits!

Does this mean that Blizzard will look into integrating (and rebuilding) the Azuremyst, Bloodmyst, Evensong Forest, Ghostlands, Isle of Quel'Danas zones along with the capital cities of the Exodar and Silvermoon into the Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms World Servers respectively at some point in the future?
Reply Quote
06/29/2011 06:52 AMPosted by Taheraliel
Does this mean that Blizzard will look into integrating (and rebuilding) the Azuremyst, Bloodmyst, Evensong Forest, Ghostlands, Isle of Quel'Danas zones along with the capital cities of the Exodar and Silvermoon into the Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms World Servers respectively at some point in the future?

That didn't even cross my mind but that's a good point. Hopefully they can get rid of those stupid barriers and allow flying in those zones "Soon"
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Does the battle chest come with a free month of game time?
Reply Quote
61 Draenei Priest
06/29/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Akosi

That didn't even cross my mind but that's a good point. Hopefully they can get rid of those stupid barriers and allow flying in those zones "Soon"

And make it easier to explore those areas?...... where my mage was eliminated by the Blood Elf guards at SMC. Would be great IMO.
Reply Quote
69 Blood Elf Paladin
Everybody can make blood elves now!!! Glorious!!!
Reply Quote
70 Troll Hunter
I think those unused TBC game keys should become Warchest too.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
isn't this extremely close to violating some major antitrust ideals? Forcing newer software onto people without consent or knowledge? I would think one would have to opt in to upgrading to The Burning Crusade, since it was technically considered to be expansion software and not important core functionality to the initial purchase. I like to think of this as just having sugar put into my coffee without asking for it, yes, it makes it better....but my twink happens to be diabetic. I am sorry for all the poor core game players that leveled to 61 by mistake due to being unaware of this change. I'm sure if I get a response it's going to mutter something about TOS or EULA, but something just seems amiss here. Good thing Activision Blizzard is a US company because Europe would be all over this (ask Microsoft).
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Wow maybe I can buy one with the Conquest points you ripped me off for?

Haven’t yet ventured beyond the Dark Portal? Beginning today, June 28, players will be able to get both the original World of Warcraft and the game’s first expansion set, The Burning Crusade, for only $19.99 as part of the new digital Battle Chest now available in the online Blizzard Store.

In addition, anyone who owns the original World of Warcraft, regardless of when they purchased the game, will automatically be able to access all of the content and features from The Burning Crusade expansion at no additional cost. It’s time to set forth from Azeroth, adventurer -- Outland awaits!
Reply Quote
28 Orc Hunter
06/28/2011 06:24 PMPosted by Klaes

Perhaps they should be paying attention to the bar, and the e-mail most likely sent to their account.
Nope, I didn't get an email about my second account being upgraded.

I can see the lack of an e-mail being a problem.
Reply Quote
70 Human Hunter
So does that mean the rest of us who bought it will get a refund? How about a free month or something.

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Well, I guess my TBC box is now a novelty item for those who care.
Reply Quote
70 Human Hunter
Why is Lich King still $35? Kind of ridiculous for an expansion that isn't even current. Shouldn't Lich King be part of the Battle Chest? Just sayin'.
Edited by Dridan on 6/29/2011 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Haven’t yet ventured beyond the Dark Portal? Beginning today, June 28, players will be able to get both the original World of Warcraft and the game’s first expansion set, The Burning Crusade, for only $19.99 as part of the new digital Battle Chest now available in the online Blizzard Store.

I see a huge problem with this. Burning Crusade is NOT free. You ARE still paying for it. $19.99 is that same price it has been for the past 3 years. You can walk in any Wal-Mart and get the physical Battlechest for $19.99. I fail to see where FREE is.

Also, if people are able to go ahead and level up beyond 60 and play the BC expansion for free as you claim, why do they even need BC from Battlechaest, or anyone for that matter? Should be able to just waltz right into Wal-Mart and get Vanilla and be on thier merry way without BC expansion. Which, incidently Vanilla on its own is only $9.98.

Also, being as your ploy is for the digital download version, are you intending to send those that fall for this sceme the manuals you get in the boxed set? People have been asking for a new Battlechest since WotLK came out. When are you planing on doing that? With having to have Vanilla (or Battlechest), WotLK AND Cata, people are still paying original prices, $100.

Yeah, I know Battlechest used to be $29.99 on the Blizz store, but its always been known to be higher than Wal-Mart as well as other stores. If you want to give BC free, then do so by allowing only people to need the Vanilla before upgrading to WotLK and then Cata. Not to long ago, you had Vanilla and BC for $5 each, digital download and the WotLK was $10. Why cant you make a new Battlechest that includes all that for $19.99?

As it stands, your not saving anyone any money, but still making yourselfs money, which is fine, but not at the cost of misleading customers with shady sales tatics.

If you can find a copy vanilla wow, then yes you can use it access all burning crusade's features. Basically blizzard has made it so you cannot make "Vanilla" type accounts only "Burning Crusade" type accounts.

As for a new battlechest including wrath? Yes blizzard should do that, they should also cut the price point for rather from $40 to $20. That along side this excellent would really reduced the barrier for entry increasing the number of new players in the game -- especially if blizzard plans to announce a new expansion at blizz-con.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior

(What about all the stores with the boxes still on the shelves, I wonder?)

I work in a retail store and use my discount to buy gametime occasionally.

I noticed we didn't have the BC boxes anymore, but I assumed we just had a massive amount of Vanilla and Wrath, while BC was out of stock.

I'm assuming they began removing it prior to this announcement, since I noticed this two weeks ago.

(Also. To this date, I've never bought a single expansion myself.
Vanilla was gifted from my boyfriend, as was Burning Crusade.
Wrath was a gift from a guildie (I miss you bro!)
And Cataclysm was a Christmas present (I was forbidden to buy it myself because it was more readily affordable by family, even though I asked for Starcraft II instead. I bought SCII myself. )

:)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
U know whats nice is i was thinking of getting my little bro into wow and he was talking about joining and he was thinking about it since he has this nice new laptop he got for xmas and now would be a perfect time to get him to join cause now he will have vanilla and bc so he will have less limits i got another little cousin who had an account 2 years ago but hes 9 and we cant remember none of the info for the account i started for him but he brother moved so i guess one of these days when he gets his own computer ill buy him another copy of wow and he can start from scratch this time he gets to be a blood elf....wait....did i buy him tbc last time???crap i cant remember lol
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Druid
06/28/2011 10:17 PMPosted by Jueles
Level 60 players, who have no intention of going past lvl 60 but don't notice their bar filling till it's too late, might not see it that way

Dude, for real? You are averse to getting 20.00 (at least that) dollar software for free?

Even though I just bought TBC a couple months ago I am glad that blizz does this. It is a gesture that shows that they aren't just after money, as many people seem to be saying lately. I am not trying to say they are or aren't money-hungry, I am just wondering aloud how a person can possibly find a way to complain about being GIVEN something for FREE.

And its not like you can't turn off exp anyway.

I'm gonna play your style:
Dude, for real? What you don't realize is that old vanilla accounts with BC 10 day trial left players with 1 XP from leveling to 61 (yes 1 xp). It's not that people are complaining about this change, they are complaining about how it was delivered as:

1. There was no warning on PTR so people didnt have time to turn off their XP
2. When we found out, we immediately went to turn XP off only to ding by discovering SW or ORG despite the fact we were there countless of times

Now before you go back on your high horse you should know following:
- most of these guys have spent months to get raid gear from old instances and had no intention to go past lvl 60
- they also pay for multiple accounts (myself included, got 4 of them, 2x vanilla, bc and cata) so saying forget about vanilla, move forward doesnt apply here. We tried cataclysm, we pay for it every month, but find old raids and pvp more appealing.

I know it's difficult to grasp context of somebody having more accounts than you, so stop being ignorant and accept the fact that there's more to WOW than just endgame. And if i'm paying more per month than You, in blizzards eyes it makes me better customer as they have more profit from me. Once again, they got my vote for doing upgrade, just the way it was delivered wasnt the best. Just get rid of discovering SW and ORG xp and i can guarantee you there will be no complains whatsoever. Because if i'm logged out in molten core with 1 xp to ding and i want to turn off my xp, even if i go by warlock summon i'll still ding by discovering that place despite the fact i was there multiple times

Cheers
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]