Hard drives are hiding from me?

90 Draenei Shaman
I've just finished installing Windows 7 and all of my drivers and I noticed that the system is only picking up one of the three hard drives. How do i get my computer to recognize the other two?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
First: check your BIOS. Does the BIOS recognize the hard drives?

Second: If BIOS acknowledges these hard drives, it is likely they need to be partitioned and formatted. Do you remember when I told you to open up the management console to deal with storage devices, where I wrote how to partition and format drives there?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
First: check your BIOS. Does the BIOS recognize the hard drives?

Second: If BIOS acknowledges these hard drives, it is likely they need to be partitioned and formatted. Do you remember when I told you to open up the management console to deal with storage devices, where I wrote how to partition and format drives there?

Yep, BIOS recognizes them :) And now that you mention it, yes I do recall that post. I saved it and emailed it to myself. I'm going to go read up on that right now. It's been a long day, sorry about that. Of course I'll be back if I run into any obstacles I can't figure out myself :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
[quote]Once you have all hard disks wired up in the new computer, do NOT install Windows 7 yet! Simply boot from your existing old hard disk. Windows 7 should boot fine (I did the same for my new build).

Partition and prepare the 1TB drive.

Then copy all the important data off whichever drive you intend to use as the main OS drive to the new 1TB drive.

Once that's done, reboot and boot from the Windows 7 DVD.

Now, as you install, choose to wipe the partition clean off of the drive you will use as your main OS drive, then install Windows 7 there.

Do the usual: Windows Update, install crucial applications and security applications (Such as Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes). Many games nowadays will run OK without having been installed "Correctly" -- such as WoW. Those that don't, you can just re-install them.

For advanced users, before they re-install Windows 7, they will simply back up the registry keys associated with games and applications that they know is required, and apply it to the new Windows 7 installation.

I strayed a little from these instructions by installing windows 7 first, sorry about that, I honestly forgot.

By following the path Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disc Management, I find the recognized drive as well as the two other drives.

I get a window that says "Initialize Desk" that says I must initialize a disk before Local Disk Manager can access it. It proceeds to ask me to select disks and the only checkbox is one with 'Disk 2' next to it. Under that, are two options to "Use the following partition style for the selected disks" (1) MBR (Master Boot Record, and (2) GPT ( GUID Partition Table).

This is where I'm stuck for fear of doing something bad lol
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
GPT is for drives larger than or equal to 3TB. Standard MBR will be fine for those lesser than 3 TB
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
07/02/2011 07:19 PMPosted by Kalganized
GPT is for drives larger than or equal to 3TB. Standard MBR will be fine for those lesser than 3 TB

Ok got that out of the way, but now what should I do? The remaining drives are labeled as "Unallocated".
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Unallocated just means it needs to be partitioned (aka. set up the size); set up the partition for the drive.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
So setup a 'new simple volume'?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
07/02/2011 07:32 PMPosted by Kalganized
Yes.

I want to have your babies.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Is it all working good now?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
As far as I can tell *knock on wood* things are running smoothly, just the usual plethora of system updates. Soon it'll be time to migrate data from the external drive on over to the new build :)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Great, enjoy your system :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
THanks!! Couldn't have done it without you and the rest of the gang :D PICTURES COMING SOON!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]