Healing in lower Level Dungeons: Holy Pally

Hi All, i have recently created this character to try a holy pally for a change. I just hit 15 and want to try a few dungeons. However, all the mail gear i pick up is strength and stamina, i don't seem to pick up much with intellect or spirit! Should i be equipping cloth and leather items until 40? or continue with Mail?

Is it ok for me to heal in a dungeon with only holy light at the moment? as other healing spells get unlocked at 16. I am a little nervous at this point as i don't want to let the group down.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
It may benefit you to wait until 16 (especially since it will come fast). at 16 you get flash of light (fast decent heal, heavy on mana tho), and lay on hands (long CD, but insta-heal to full). those 2 can help out a lot. You get a shield you can cast on players for emergencies when your 18 as well.

another alternative is to respec into the holy school. the spec itself gives you more healing power, better mana regen, and an extra heal, Holy shock. Holy shock is awesome for a few reasons...one, it's instant (6 sec CD iirc). so it works great for emergency situations, or just a fast heal. later on it becomes a critical part of your arsenal.

don't forget word of glory either. as holy spec, your holy shock builds up holy power, which you can unleash with word of glory as an extra heal. This is even available if your not holy spec (it's easier to use to heal with if your holy though)

For gear, try to pick up a leather/cloth set with int/spi on it. You probably wont see much "paladin" gear with those stats until 40+ and plate starts showing up as quest rewards. But you don't get any bonus from wearing the chain (and plate bonus doesn't kick in till 50), so you wont suffer for wearing leather/cloth at this point

and holy, while not as fast as ret, still levels quite well solo. At first you may run out of mana more then you like, but as your talents build, the mana becomes easier. Once your 30, you can dual-spec, so at that point it wont matter. you can keep a holy spec on the side, and then level as prot or ret.
Edited by Eyenfael on 7/4/2011 11:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
As a holy paladin, you should have 3 healing spells: Holy Shock, Word of Glory, and Holy Light. Those three should be enough to see you through the low-level dungeons.

As for gear, yeah, you'll probably have to pick up cloth or leather intellect pieces. Pick up mail/plate if you can, but use cloth/leather if it's better.

At about level 50 you'll want to start transitioning to only plate armor in order to get the 5% intellect bonus. But before then any armor is good.

My advice is go out and try some dungeons. Healing is really something that you learn with practice, and the best way to learn is to heal more.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Holy spec is deffinatly best for healing, but if your good, you can get away with healing in prot up to level 20 (It can be rough tho) and you have less options available to you. There are mail pieces with Int on them (Of the Gorilla, Eagle, Falcon) but it's a random chance of getting any of them and the new system of useless bag of junk (low level dungeon reward loot bag) can sometimes provide a nice blue piece of equip but most of the time it will be geared for Ret/Prot and most of your mail healing gear will come from that bag.

As previously mentioned, any armor with int / spirit will serve you well until lv 50 where your armor specialization will kick in with a 5% bonus to int for wearing all plate.
Reply Quote
44 Dwarf Paladin
It's been interesting healing as a paladin. I've got a lot of slots covered with heirlooms, none of which have spirit, and filled in the rest with as many spirit pieces I could find, including leather and / or cloth as needed.

I've taken to using Crusader Strikes along with Holy Shock to build up extra holy power, though I'm not sure how long this will remain viable. I've noticed that my attention to the party's health suffers a bit if I'm focusing on trying to judge and melee mobs.

Once I start getting to higher level dungeons I'll have to see how it plays out, but for now I haven't really had any issues a few casts couldn't solve. Also haven't had any mana issues at all.
Reply Quote
Hi All, thankyou for all your input :) it has really helped. I will wait till i am lvl 16 and then start. I will start equipping with and gear that has spirit and intellect like all have mentioned and go from there.

Thanks again :)

One last thing, word of glory requires holy power, but from what i understand holy power is generated using crusader strike or hammer of the righteous... well that from using my prot pally, how is it generated for a holy pally? do i need to get into melee range to get holy power?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy light, enough till 30 somthin.

if i recall, theres little to none mail/plate int gear untill 50s. so pick what ever that has spirit on it, ur not tanking anything any way.
Reply Quote
This isn't your first character. Why not get plate heirlooms with intellect and spirit? While you can get pretty good gear with justice these days, eventually you will have everything you could possibly use and get heirlooms with your justice points. You can get other pieces as your guild moves up. Heirlooms scale with your level and give you huge exp bonuses. When I was coming up it was all I could do to get one good set together. I came up as ret. I didn't heal on this toon until 80. With an alt, things should be a lot easier.

Lower level dungeons are not very demanding. I leveled a druid and only healed in dungeons coming up. You could probably get enough intellect and spirit on your rings, trinket and neck to give you everything you need.
Reply Quote
84 Goblin Death Knight
Hi All, thankyou for all your input :) it has really helped. I will wait till i am lvl 16 and then start. I will start equipping with and gear that has spirit and intellect like all have mentioned and go from there.

Thanks again :)

One last thing, word of glory requires holy power, but from what i understand holy power is generated using crusader strike or hammer of the righteous... well that from using my prot pally, how is it generated for a holy pally? do i need to get into melee range to get holy power?

As others have already said, Speccing holy gives you Holy shock, a heal that gives you a holy power.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Until you hit level 70ish or so, holy paladin itemization is pretty bad; even the plate gear in Outland often has poorly designed stat allocations.

For example, the only plate int/spirit chests prior to Outland (assuming you don't sidetrack into level 60 raiding along the way) are from a quest in Thousand Needles and a boss in Shadow Labyrinth. There's literally nothing for the nearly 30 levels in between. In both cases, there's lots of caster cloth with better itemization still.

As a result, most holy paladins wear a fair amount of spirit cloth/leather (spirit mail isn't exactly abundant at those levels, either) until some time in Northrend. Yes, you lose out on the 5% intellect from plate specialization, but chances are that you'll still come out on top.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]