Where did everyone go?

90 Human Warrior
I left during mid TBC when the server was buzzing (at least how I remember it), When I returned it barely qualifies for a medium population server and all the old members (that are still subscribed) have either changed realm or constantly complain about the realm and use the common term "Failstriders" when referring to our server. What happened during wraith? Why did our server enter Cataclysm bruised and hanging on by a thread?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Simply put, more people leaving than rolling this realm. RP realms already tend to be less populated. Lowest on the progression totem pole = more people will get fed up and leave. I left during WOTLK (edit: quit, didn't play at all) and just came back recently and was surprised at how much smaller it is.

Both factions always have at least one guild pushing into content, Alliance side with a lot more people and better progressed. But we are not progression oriented (clearly). Welcome back, see you around the realm if you stay, good gaming to you regardless of where you end up.
Edited by Sepulchura on 7/5/2011 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Stuff happened, people QQed and left.

This server, progression and public community wise has been on a downward spiral since our height of BC.

That, and pretty much all the oldies even on Horde either Xferred or went Alliance.

Heck, even this character is nothing but an alt now.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
There are always people that whine that our server isn't number one. There are always people that complain that our server isn't a magical place of candy and sunshine.

There are other people that kindly remind them that it is our server and we like it.

A lot of people left during Cataclysm - across all servers. Ours wasn't big to begin with so it's more noticeable. Oddly, glancing over the forums here recently, there's been an influx if guilds transferring here or individuals contemplating it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
07/06/2011 06:15 AMPosted by Ura
There are always people that complain that our server isn't a magical place of candy and sunshine.

Though we have never crossed paths in-game, I have always felt that upstanding players like Ura do make our server a magical place of candy and sunshine. All we need are more people like Ura who understand that a server like Farstriders is meant for people who wish to enjoy World of Warcraft at their own pace and without the impetus to reach nebulous benchmarks that somehow validate the money spent keeping the server running.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I personally think that one of the things that led to population decline-- Horde-side anyway-- was progression guilds transferring to FS in order to get server firsts. They'd come over here, recruit a bunch of people in an attempt to round out their raid team, troll the crap out of trade chat, realize that FS just wasn't up to the high standards they had set, and transfer off with a few people they'd rounded up during their stay. Then those left on the server were kind of left with a jaded view of what progression should look like.

I've been around since mid-BC, and I've seen this happen multiple times on horde-side. And every time one of those guilds leave, the rest of the community is kind of left reeling from their visit.
Edited by Tsululu on 7/6/2011 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
I personally think that one of the things that led to population decline-- Horde-side anyway-- was progression guilds transferring to FS in order to get server firsts. They'd come over here, recruit a bunch of people in an attempt to round out their raid team, troll the crap out of trade chat, realize that FS just wasn't up to the high standards they had set, and transfer off with a few people they'd rounded up during their stay. Then those left on the server were kind of left with a jaded view of what progression should look like.

I've been around since mid-BC, and I've seen this happen multiple times on horde-side. And every time one of those guilds leave, the rest of the community is kind of left reeling from their visit.

Hey Tsu, long time. Yeah seen that. Bane (cough, waits for ban for daring to utter Their Name)
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
07/06/2011 06:40 AMPosted by Wichasha
There are always people that complain that our server isn't a magical place of candy and sunshine.

Though we have never crossed paths in-game, I have always felt that upstanding players like Ura do make our server a magical place of candy and sunshine. All we need are more people like Ura who understand that a server like Farstriders is meant for people who wish to enjoy World of Warcraft at their own pace and without the impetus to reach nebulous benchmarks that somehow validate the money spent keeping the server running.

Thank you. This compliment means a great deal to me and is highly appreciated.

I hope that one day our paths do cross. Maybe we'll raid together or PUG together one day.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
07/06/2011 06:40 AMPosted by Wichasha

Wichasa even though our paths probably only cross involving red letters over players avatars, I couldn't agree with you more. More people simply enjoying the game, less drama and rage, "welcome to the small town of Farstriders, behave or get out,", heh heh heh...
Reply Quote
I'm still here.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Wichasa even though our paths probably only cross involving red letters over players avatars.

<----------Wichasha :)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue

^This.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

This char, and all of my old chars, came from one of 4 High-Pop (at the time), high-ranked servers. Lightbringer, Dawnbringer, Haomarush, and Maelstrom. At one time or another, I was in a high progression, high-ranked, endgame-pushing guild on at least two of them. I raided 6-8 hours a day, 5+ days a week.

I got sick of asshats, elitist bads, rude people, arrogant people, and trolls that are 40 times worse than anything you'll ever see in our Trade. I've been a Roleplayer for going on 13 years now. I moved to this server about 3 years ago, and I've been here ever since.

This server, while quiet, is small. There aren't a lot of big fish, and people who cause a fuss generally get ousted relatively quickly (I can name three people off the top of my head). Over time, people who came here looking for server firsts, or to "reorganize Farstriders", etc. etc. etfc., found themselves pushing a community that is more laid back than anywhere else on Warcraft. We are very close-knit - if you get a bad reputation with any guild here, you might as well transfer off. You won't be raiding / RPing / PvP'ing with anyone else, because word and reputation spread quickly.

I love this server. I'll be here until they close this game down, which if Diablo and Starcraft are any indication, won't be happening anytime soon. It may be small, but after pushing endgame content through Vanilla and 2 expansions, I'm happy to have a break (for the most part. Aegis pushes content pretty regularly, and atm I raid every day but Mon., and that's probably going to change, also).

There is nothing wrong with this server, or this community. It happens every Summer, and after every big new release of some new sparkly game (in this case, Rift and SW: Old Republic). When school's back in session, and wintertime's back, you'll see the population shoot up again. If anything, we've gotten MORE people - FS used to be Low pop, now we're just over Medium. Movin' on up.

Edited, because Dom can nawt speka de Engrish this afternoon, apparently -.-
Edited by Dominitari on 7/7/2011 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
07/07/2011 10:53 AMPosted by Krö
Wichasa even though our paths probably only cross involving red letters over players avatars.

<----------Wichasha :)

shenanigans! (slumps over from immediately being pistol whipped)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Yeah I mean this game is a glorified chat room so if you know people here why would you leave. I did try another server but didn't know anyone, despite it being high pop and a lot of hardcore end-game play, but I just didn't want to do that stuff with strangers, you know. I'd like to have it both ways, but I can settle for a little in between!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I left for 3 months for a progression guild and came back. The mentality is different on larger population servers and there is quite a bit more asshat-ery.

I missed my friends on Farstriders so I came back. I've been on this server since it opened playing my hunter Edgewater and I won't leave again.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I missed my friends on Farstriders so I came back. I've been on this server since it opened playing my hunter Edgewater and I won't leave again.

Holy blast from the past. I haven't seen that name in a while. I remember when we still had the Looking For Group interface and you would scour it looking for people that you trusted and recognized to form groups with. If memory serves I believe Edgewater was a character that I ran with frequently and was always relieved to be in a group with.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
There was a lot more going in TBC, but some are still here, like my self. Left for a few months, but i missed the people ^_^
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
While i have my 3 main chars on Illidan i can't bring myself to take the others off Farstriders because it has such a unique community even if the raiding is not progression oriented. I came to Farstriders back in wrath during early icc and was in Anarchy until it split and went alliance and joined and helped co lead Less Than Zero which was a 25 man guild for awhile until we went horde for some reason... Once we got to hordside the guild halved and we were left with only a core 10 man again. After that eventually some of the more progression oriented among us left for Illidan and enjoyed a small stay there, i myself got burnt out and came back to farstriders for a bit but got dragged back to illidan where i am currently. The differences between the two servers are astronomical but with how Farstriders is i just think i still prefer it more. But anyways, bump for Farstriders!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Awe. We're uni-que.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]