Recruit a Friend - Benefit Expansion

(Locked)

Support Forum Agent
Greetings all,

There has been a bit of confusion regarding the update to the Recruit a Friend promotion so we wanted to take a moment and cover some basics.

As the patch notes state, all Recruit a Friend benefits are now extended to level 80, up from level 60.

What does this mean?

It means that any active Recruit a Friend links now can receive the in-game benefits, such as the triple experience bonus, up to level 80.

This also means that characters on the recruited account will continue to earn one level, that they may grant a qualifying character on the Veteran account, for every two levels they gain.

Please note that any levels gained between 60-80, prior to Patch 4.2 will not have counted for the character and we are unable to retroactively apply them. Only levels gained after 4.2, beyond level 60, will earn grantable levels.

Recruit a Friend FAQ
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20588

Common questions:

My RaF link expired, does this change extend the time we're linked?

No, the Recruit a Friend link only lasts for 90 days. After that you will no longer receive in-game benefits from this promotion.

The account will still be able to earn the upgrade/subscription rewards(30 days of game time and special mount) after the link has expired though.

I already started the Recruit a Friend program before patch 4.2, do my benefits end at level 60?

Absolutely not, these benefits have been retroactively applied to all Recruit a Friend accounts, if your link is active you will receive those bonuses up to level 80.

I received a Free copy of World of Warcraft, can that be used with the Recruit a Friend promotion?

Yes, treat the Free copy of World of Warcraft that qualifying Veteran accounts received as a normal retail version of the game. It can be used to upgrade a Recruit a Friend trial as if you purchased it from a store or a digital purchase through the Blizzard Store.

O
M
G

very nice!
1 Gnome Mage
I have a question can you use the Recruit a Friend on an inactive account from TBC? account hasnt been active for 4 years
80 Human Mage
Does this mean I could have my recruit grant me levels from 65-85 as long as he is higher level than mine?
85 Undead Warlock
I am having problems with the recruit-a-friend. It says my account in ineligable for the service. Also when I checked my account summary on battle.net it says my account is pending while I can still log in and play the game as well as post a comment here, which i would not have been able to do IF it was pending. Please help me as I have a friend who wants to start the game and I am unable to recruit him. :(
90 Troll Priest
I am deeply disappointed to see this come out after Cata has been out for months now.

It's just very frustrating to have done the RAF back in January with my friend, have her level to 71 and give up and just play the AH now because leveling is so slow. This would have been great then.

I understand nothing can be done about this, and I'm sure there aren't enough people in this same position to be unhappy about it, but it is just so very frustrating to know we could have waited - and gotten it CHEAPER.
90 Draenei Priest
I've been thinking about getting a second wow account and thought using RAF would be a good way to do it. I was hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions though as I've read through the FAQ and the forums and am still a bit confused.

I was going to have my husband sent me the RAF invite and I assume that he would need to send it to an email address that is not my current battle.net one, correct? Would I need to purchase all the games (Vanilla, BC, Wrath & Cata) prior to receiving the invite or would I be able to purchase them after? I assume I would need the activation codes from them even if I don't actually load them onto my computer, since copies of the games are already loaded, is this right? And is it possible to then somehow link the new account with my current battle.net account after purchasing game-time?

Thanks!
80 Night Elf Druid
The FAQ has served to confuse me a little more! Given the recent announcement of 'starter accounts' lasting indefinitely but limiting character level to 20, do trial accounts created using a RAF emailed key still expire after 10 days?
85 Draenei Priest
I have a friend that is interested in taking advantage of the Recruit a Friend system and getting the 3x experience boost while leveling some characters. However, he has played WoW before and has an inactive account at the moment that he would like to send the leveled recruit character to. I know that it is possible to transfer a character from the recruit a friend account to a veteran account, but what I want to know is whether or not he can create the recruit account, level a character to 20, transfer the character to his veteran account, then still receive the xp bonuses up to level 80? Or does the transfer cancel this out?
85 Draenei Shaman
06/28/2011 10:59 PMPosted by Zannesu
Does this mean I could have my recruit grant me levels from 65-85 as long as he is higher level than mine?

No, in RAF you can only grant levels to the RAF cap...so since the cap is now 80 you should be able to be granted up to 80 (if you have the levels to grant).

Is your recruit also 65? Did they grant you any levels at all?
85 Draenei Shaman
06/29/2011 11:06 AMPosted by Secsyplexi
I have a friend that is interested in taking advantage of the Recruit a Friend system and getting the 3x experience boost while leveling some characters. However, he has played WoW before and has an inactive account at the moment that he would like to send the leveled recruit character to. I know that it is possible to transfer a character from the recruit a friend account to a veteran account, but what I want to know is whether or not he can create the recruit account, level a character to 20, transfer the character to his veteran account, then still receive the xp bonuses up to level 80? Or does the transfer cancel this out?

I have RAF'ed a number of times with my wife for making alts and getting RAF mounts. The RAF link is only with the new account, unfortunately. You would need Wrath on the new account in order to get from 70 to 80 then transfer the 80 to the veteran account or just make the new account home and transfer veteran toons to the new account (but then you'd need Cataclysm too in order to reach 85).

I wish Blizzard would just sell a 90-day friend link to use between existing accounts because there's nothing like leveling at 300% xp.
85 Draenei Priest
I have RAF'ed a number of times with my wife for making alts and getting RAF mounts. The RAF link is only with the new account, unfortunately. You would need Wrath on the new account in order to get from 70 to 80 then transfer the 80 to the veteran account or just make the new account home and transfer veteran toons to the new account (but then you'd need Cataclysm too in order to reach 85).

I wish Blizzard would just sell a 90-day friend link to use between existing accounts because there's nothing like leveling at 300% xp.

That's what I was thinking.. but then I saw this on the FAQ's on the Recruit a Friend page ..

"If I transfer a character to a recruit or veteran account, will that character then be eligible for both experience and reputation bonuses?

Yes, though only if the character is below level 80."

So I didn't know if I'm looking at it at the wrong perspective or if it's saying that you can transfer a character to or from the recruit account and still receive the xp bonus?
85 Draenei Shaman
I've been thinking about getting a second wow account and thought using RAF would be a good way to do it. I was hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions though as I've read through the FAQ and the forums and am still a bit confused.

I was going to have my husband sent me the RAF invite and I assume that he would need to send it to an email address that is not my current battle.net one, correct? Would I need to purchase all the games (Vanilla, BC, Wrath & Cata) prior to receiving the invite or would I be able to purchase them after? I assume I would need the activation codes from them even if I don't actually load them onto my computer, since copies of the games are already loaded, is this right? And is it possible to then somehow link the new account with my current battle.net account after purchasing game-time?

Thanks!

I've always used a different e-mail when initially inviting myself or my wife but I'm not 100% sure if it's required.

Note....make sure you log completely out of battle net before clicking your invite link if you don't want the additional wow account created in your main b.net account. I believe they fixed this but had it happen once where it instantly created a RAF trial in my main b.net account.

Make sure to RAF invite first! Once you accept the invite then the two accounts are linked for 90 days. At that point (or later) you can apply a retail or digital (or one of those freebie codes they are sending out).

If your husband wants the mount reward right away a trick is to upgrade to a full version then use a 60-day game card and apply it. I'm not sure if that would work with the freebie codes but it used to work with the retail wow.

When I RAF I transfer my max RAF toons to my main accounts and after the 90 days expire don't want to see that non-used account so I used a second b.net account for those RAF-only wow accounts. If you do that make sure your b.net info matches so xfers are smooth.
85 Draenei Shaman

That's what I was thinking.. but then I saw this on the FAQ's on the Recruit a Friend page ..

"If I transfer a character to a recruit or veteran account, will that character then be eligible for both experience and reputation bonuses?

Yes, though only if the character is below level 80."

So I didn't know if I'm looking at it at the wrong perspective or if it's saying that you can transfer a character to or from the recruit account and still receive the xp bonus?

Ah, it means if you transfer say a level 40 character from a non-RAF linked account to a RAF linked account the level 40 character would get bonuses as long as the other RAF conditions are met (being within 4 levels, etc.) of a toon on the linked account.
85 Draenei Priest
06/29/2011 11:38 AMPosted by Xelxs
Ah, it means if you transfer say a level 40 character from a non-RAF linked account to a RAF linked account the level 40 character would get bonuses as long as the other RAF conditions are met (being within 4 levels, etc.) of a toon on the linked account.

Okay, that's what we were figuring it meant, I was just confused when it said "When I transfer a character to a recruit OR veteran account". We thought maybe they changed it since a lot of people make a RAF account as a second account and later transfer a toon they leveled to their primary account. But that all seems just too easy!
85 Tauren Warrior
I did this with my friend but whenever we get on i invite him to a group but out accounts aren't linked. We've added each other as friends too... Can anyone help?
87 Blood Elf Priest
BOO!! my RAF 90 day link ended with my friend a couple days before this came out QQ
85 Human Paladin
Have anyone received emails for RaF yet? just wondering not sure if they have been sent out
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
06/29/2011 05:56 AMPosted by Kaelym
The FAQ has served to confuse me a little more! Given the recent announcement of 'starter accounts' lasting indefinitely but limiting character level to 20, do trial accounts created using a RAF emailed key still expire after 10 days?

Having just sent myself a Recruit a Friend invitation, it says:

<My name> has sent you an invitation to play the FREE Starter Edition of World of Warcraft® using the Recruit-a-Friend program.

So, yes, the RAF key for a trial is also for the perpetual one. (Presumably all trials have been converted over so there is no such thing as a limited duration one any more.)
80 Night Elf Druid
That's a great comfort, thanks so much for the response!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]