Starter Edition Chat Restrictions

(Locked)

13 Draenei Mage
I heard about the free-to-play to level 20 thing, and thought 'awesome, I'll try this out again for a while till I have money to pay for more'. I've played on and off since the game began, so I'm not needing to learn to play, and I've done most of the starter quests, but what I was wanting to do was RP.

I get that starter editions can't send out whispers (without first being whispered) or talk in public channels except for say and party for anti-spam reasons, but... it seems like people aren't even seeing our stuff in /say or /e.

Any thoughts/comments? I can talk with my boyfriend, who also started a Starter Edition, and he's talked with other people in-game who've done the same.

If we really just can't contact people who're paying, while we're not... well, that's pretty lame.
85 Night Elf Druid
07/06/2011 06:45 PMPosted by Sjera
If we really just can't contact people who're paying, while we're not... well, that's pretty lame.

It's to prevent gold spammers from harassing people. If you want the full features, pay for the full game.
14 Worgen Warlock
Lame?

You're going to have more fun playing 1 - 20 for here free than playing 1- 50 in Runes of Magic any day.
13 Draenei Mage
Yeah. Okay, well, thanks.

I get why, obviously, I was just under the impression that I still could talk in /say. Apparently I only can with other starter edition people.
13 Draenei Mage
Lame?

You're going to have more fun playing 1 - 20 for here free than playing 1- 50 in Runes of Magic any day.

That is true! I was just kinda psyched to RP for freeeeeeeee. I'm not bitter at all, and think the free-to-play is still an excellent move for Blizz, just a little disappointed since I thought it worked differently.
07/06/2011 06:45 PMPosted by Sjera
but... it seems like people aren't even seeing our stuff in /say or /e.

According to the FAQ, which appears to have been recently updated, you can still talk in /s. So, unless something has changed, and it may have, you should still be able to talk in /s and you should still be able to emote.

You are probably just being ignored. I know I tend to ignore random low levels randomly saying stuff in game.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20590
90 Night Elf Rogue
It's the same conditions the lvl 20 cap trial always had, just now there's no expiration date on it.
13 Draenei Mage
Thanks for pointing out the FAQ, I was checking it out earlier too and was kinda confused because of this issue.

You are probably just being ignored. I know I tend to ignore random low levels randomly saying stuff in game.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't intentionally being ignored. I was wandering around SW on Wyrmrest Accord realm and like, I'd walk into a room where a dude was RPing, and he'd be like, "Well hello!" I'd try to say hi, and he'd be like, "... helllo! ...hello? Can you hear me?" These people wanted to talk, and saw my avatar but not my text.
85 Night Elf Druid
07/06/2011 06:54 PMPosted by Sjera
That is true! I was just kinda psyched to RP for freeeeeeeee. I'm not bitter at all, and think the free-to-play is still an excellent move for Blizz, just a little disappointed since I thought it worked differently.

It's not really Free to Play. It's just an unlimited trial account. Same restrictions, same limitations, same everything except that it no longer has a 10- or 14-day time limit.

If it was truly Free to Play, it wouldn't have any restrictions.
07/06/2011 07:03 PMPosted by Sjera
'm pretty sure I wasn't intentionally being ignored. I was wandering around SW on Wyrmrest Accord realm and like, I'd walk into a room where a dude was RPing, and he'd be like, "Well hello!" I'd try to say hi, and he'd be like, "... helllo! ...hello? Can you hear me?" These people wanted to talk, and saw my avatar but not my text.

Hmmm. Makes me want to start a trial so I can see if I can talk to myself.

I mean, in game of course.
13 Draenei Mage
07/06/2011 07:08 PMPosted by Icedragon
If it was truly Free to Play, it wouldn't have any restrictions.

Uh, I guess I shouldn't have gotten so excited then? Oh well.

Well, if you did so, I'd definitely appreciate a post on how it went! I imagine I'm not the only person with this same confusion. I also suspect you'll just not be able to see what your starter account says, since that seems to be how it works (and apparently has worked in the trials in the past, I just wasn't aware).

In any case, thank you all for you input and clearing this up. Might be extra nice if Blizz made this a little bit more clear in their Starter Account specific FAQ.

It was working differently earlier or at least it was intended to, but like previously said, thanks to gold spammers, it`s different.
You have absolutely no idea how the mess was back then...
So, ironically speaking, you should thank Blizzard for making you free-life miserable (nothing personnal)
Edited by Anhart on 7/6/2011 8:41 PM PDT
- World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
It was working differently earlier or at least it was intended to, but like previously said, thanks to gold spammers, it`s different.
You have absolutely no idea how the mess was back then...
So, ironically speaking, you should thank Blizzard for making you free-life miserable (nothing personnal)

Uh... no, actually, you should be thanking the gold sellers for prompting Blizzard to make those changes so that the paying customers weren't harassed and bothered by these spammers, and so Blizzard wouldn't have to spend resources and time restoring as many compromised accounts (due to all the players falling for the numerous ads/phishes).

Put blame where blame is due.
77 Orc Hunter
Blizzard only lifted the time limit from it's trial version. Somehow, many of the gaming sites interpreted that as opening up the first 20 levels as f2p. It's still just a trial to give you the flavor of the game to persuade you to purchase it. A trial is not the same as a f2p game.
100 Human Mage
Let's not lose sight of the fact there ARE some really nice perks as well. Levels CAN be "granted" under some limitations, you can get triple XP by grouping with the RAF and vet, and best of all (IMO) is for 90 days, the vet & RAF CAN "summon" each other (both directions) even if the RAF has upgraded to Standard edition. Oh, if the RAF ups for 2 months beyond the Standard edition upgrade, the vet gets a 2 person rocket that I have been told, will work as ground transport for 2 until the vet can level up enough to get flying lessons.
90 Night Elf Druid
07/06/2011 07:22 PMPosted by Harlan

Don't bother, anyone on this forum will confirm talking to you just leads to annoyance.
07/07/2011 08:09 AMPosted by Karamoone

Don't bother, anyone on this forum will confirm talking to you just leads to annoyance.

Awwww. Lovable as ever.
85 Night Elf Druid
Let's not lose sight of the fact there ARE some really nice perks as well. Levels CAN be "granted" under some limitations, you can get triple XP by grouping with the RAF and vet, and best of all (IMO) is for 90 days, the vet & RAF CAN "summon" each other (both directions) even if the RAF has upgraded to Standard edition. Oh, if the RAF ups for 2 months beyond the Standard edition upgrade, the vet gets a 2 person rocket that I have been told, will work as ground transport for 2 until the vet can level up enough to get flying lessons.

That's only on a Recruit-A-Friend account, not just any random trial account.
90 Night Elf Druid
07/07/2011 08:17 AMPosted by Harlan
Awwww. Lovable as ever.

I'd give you a /hug, but I don't want to get my shirt caught on your exposed elbow bones again..
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]