Starter Edition Chat Restrictions

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Rogue
07/07/2011 09:49 AMPosted by Maxionton
just a little annoying having to turn down about 10 people a day asking for me join their guild.

In the Interface menu one of the options under "social" is to block all guild invites. Of course that will only work for those that pop up a guild invite warning in your face without asking you first. As for the others, I'd suggest making a macro button that all it says is "I'm on the trial" and hit that in while in a reply whisper (you can whisper others if they whisper you first).
17 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks for pointing out the FAQ, I was checking it out earlier too and was kinda confused because of this issue.

You are probably just being ignored. I know I tend to ignore random low levels randomly saying stuff in game.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't intentionally being ignored. I was wandering around SW on Wyrmrest Accord realm and like, I'd walk into a room where a dude was RPing, and he'd be like, "Well hello!" I'd try to say hi, and he'd be like, "... helllo! ...hello? Can you hear me?" These people wanted to talk, and saw my avatar but not my text.

Ahh that's a shame. I was going to use a trial/starter account to hang out on my old haunts (Moon Guard and Wyrmrest) and see what's changed in the past several months community-wise while I wait for my next check :-(

Ah well. I can still make and diddle about on the little lady dwarf rogue I had in mind while I'm waiting.
2 Draenei Hunter
If anyone's still interested in this, I happened to do a little investigating back before trial accounts were unlimited. If it hasn't changed since then, I think you can only speak in /say and /me to people within a certain range of your current level. Ten levels, or something. I never pinned it down exactly, but when I was level 20, people from level 1-29 (or 30, can't remember) could hear me in /say. Beyond that I was rendered a mute. Thank you, gold spammers! I guess it's nice you can even use /say at all, though.
90 Human Warrior
For the starter edition, I wish we could play as a Worgen.. that would be NIIIIIIIICE >E:-D

(The E is worgen ears...)
85 Night Elf Druid
07/20/2011 06:54 PMPosted by Imsosmexy
For the starter edition, I wish we could play as a Worgen.. that would be NIIIIIIIICE >E:-D

They just allowed you to play Draenei and Blood Elves. They're not going to let you skip two expansions ahead for free.
20 Undead Priest
07/07/2011 09:49 AMPosted by Maxionton
All the restrictions are just ,honestly im just glad we can talk in say you cant believe how annoying it was rolling on a rp server and figuring out you cant talk or do custom emote.The only thing about the trial that bugs me is that we cant join guilds it made sense with the limited time trial since you only got to play for 14 days but I guess the reason is guild perks just a little annoying having to turn down about 10 people a day asking for me join their guild.

The Restrictions to guilds are there for a reason.. there's some perks in there that would honestly for one ruin the experience.. and for two give you Heirlooms which is just.. a no no.

I haven't heard about the /s or /e restrictions but if it's true then.. well i don't know how that could contribute to gold spamming but oh well.
85 Night Elf Druid
07/21/2011 11:28 AMPosted by Hátrëd
I haven't heard about the /s or /e restrictions but if it's true then.. well i don't know how that could contribute to gold spamming but oh well.

Because if given ANY medium of chat, gold spammers would use it to spam messages ad nauseum. They did it in emotes, /say, /yell, public channels - you name it, we've been bombarded with it.
85 Orc Warrior
Thats very true.

07/21/2011 11:30 AMPosted by Icedragon

Because if given ANY medium of chat, gold spammers would use it to spam messages ad nauseum. They did it in emotes, /say, /yell, public channels - you name it, we've been bombarded with it.

Yes we have and when new features of this sort are released, such as a "free-to-play" service, spammers organize and scramble to effect and purge the new comers of any money they might have. Imagine joining a new, exciting world and find, walls of text being throw at you, unwillingly. Not very eye pleasing. Blizzard has these restrictions for good reason and that is to prevent unfair and unwanted mayhem throughout their servers.
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/01/2011 02:05 PMPosted by Armoredtight
Yes we have and when new features of this sort are released, such as a "free-to-play" service, spammers organize and scramble to effect and purge the new comers of any money they might have. Imagine joining a new, exciting world and find, walls of text being throw at you, unwillingly. Not very eye pleasing. Blizzard has these restrictions for good reason and that is to prevent unfair and unwanted mayhem throughout their servers.

While all good points as to why the restrictions on trials need to stay the way they are, I doubt the OP is coming back to this thread a month later to hear your insight. Please don't necro old threads and let this thread of F2P whining rest in peace.
20 Dwarf Shaman
people cant see ur /say if they are above lvl 30
90 Draenei Priest
Hello, I wonder why do free trial users find it so important to use the "say" command and have it work with high level players? I myself am using the free trial/starter edition and I don't think anything I have to say would be very interesting to high level players.
45 Gnome Warlock
09/01/2011 06:11 PMPosted by Cyberina
Hello, I wonder why do free trial users find it so important to use the "say" command and have it work with high level players? I myself am using the free trial/starter edition and I don't think anything I have to say would be very interesting to high level players.

I've wondered that too. Hell, I pay for the game and Im fairly sure no one gives a damn about what I have to say.
85 Night Elf Druid
09/01/2011 06:28 PMPosted by Sandse

I've wondered that too. Hell, I pay for the game and Im fairly sure no one gives a damn about what I have to say.

In a couple cases they try to claim that they want to ask higher level player questions or try to roleplay with them. Well, to ask questions you can come here to the Newbie forum, and for roleplaying you're up the creek without a paddle because of chat restrictions that aren't going to change. If you want to interact with others and get the full experience, pay for it.
90 Draenei Shaman
It seems like the limitations on this in terms of communication are pretty severe, but they make sense (keep the gold spammers away) as well. It's a shame about the mail system, but being able to play to level 20 without time restrictions for free will definitely give you a taste for how the mechanics of the game work, the style of quests, etc. Seems like a good deal (free is usually good).

Question for those who have done this. If you have an account already in one area (e.g. U.S.) can you create a trial account in another (e.g. EU)? I know they can have different TOU etc., but is that doable if you agree to their version? Or are you limited to only the same area the first account is in?
90 Night Elf Rogue
If you have an account already in one area (e.g. U.S.) can you create a trial account in another (e.g. EU)? I know they can have different TOU etc., but is that doable if you agree to their version? Or are you limited to only the same area the first account is in?

There are many people who have two WoW accounts from different regions (ie. Europe and US) on the same battle.net account, so I don't see why it would be a problem to have a full WoW account for one region and a trial account with another region.
85 Tauren Druid
Someone on the CS Forum did some testing with /say on Trial accounts.

It seems to be restricted by level. Only people around your level will see your /say.

For a level 20 on a Trial account, the highest level that can see your say is somewhere between level 26 and 35 (two characters they tested with).
20 Troll Hunter
Now I know why everyone was ignoring me the other night when I was asking for a port to Shatt...
7 Human Priest
Aw THAT explains it!
I was trying to do just the same, since I don't have much time to play, I wanted to RP with this character to make a background for my future Human Monk...
But people kept ignoring me and then today they were all confused around me as well....
Damn it they should have at least mentioned this,I've been playing from 1 to 3 am for 3 days now trying to get some RP and now I see that I was looking like some idiot running around and chasing people without saying a word!
Edited by Evenath on 11/10/2011 8:39 PM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
Aw THAT explains it!
I was trying to do just the same, since I don't have much time to play, I wanted to RP with this character to make a background for my future Human Monk...
But people kept ignoring me and then today they were all confused around me as well....
Damn it they should have at least mentioned this,I've been playing from 1 to 3 am for 3 days now trying to get some RP and now I see that I was looking like some idiot running around and chasing people without saying a word!

Why did you bump a dead thread from July? Don't necropost - please read timestamps so corpses don't float to the surface.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]