How do I do better Prot paladin dps?

85 Undead Mage
Recently I started the Alarazor fight. The firehawk boss in firelands. At the most I got up to 122k dps as a tank. I am at 1% hit and only 14 exp with the glyph seal of truth.

This is my spec. http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGMhfRddRRuf0M:kso

I would like some pointers on how to pull higher numbers for that fight. What rotation should I be doing. Should I alter my glyphs / spec? DO I need to temporarily reforge from evasion for hit / exp so i dont miss? Should I use dps trinket?

I heard I need to get to about 150k dps to successfully kill the add. Any help is appreciated.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Posting on your pally would be a good start....
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
07/07/2011 09:08 PMPosted by Phreeziepop
Posting on your pally would be a good start....

Id rather not for some obvious troll reasons. All the important info is there. My hit / exp and even spec and glyphs. I gem for evasion and reforge evasion. So anything else really isnt needed.
Edited by Adeadguy on 7/7/2011 9:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
What the hell obvious troll reasons are there?

Look, we're not going to make fun of your lack of achievement points or bad arena teams. We don't care. The fact that you're actually tanking a FL boss makes you at the 90th percentile of people asking for help here in terms of likely skill anyway, so chill and post on your paladin.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Here is my tank so can I get some help in upping my prot dps?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
07/07/2011 10:58 PMPosted by Rijdå
Outside of that your gems and enchants are solid. Nicely done and keep it up. (You may want to drop your Parry rating a little and up your Dodge to minimize diminishing returns but that's really low priority.)

1) Eye for an eye is not trash. It does a good chunk of damage. Ive seen it one of my highest dmging abilities in boss fights. While I thank you for the info I know how to tank. Very well in fact. I was asking on how to do More Damage as a tank for One Specific Fight were I need high damage output. Improved judgments is a waste and have never needed extra judgement range for threat. As for the first thing that may help in the dmg department. Over all kinda missed the point. but thank you for your effort :)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Outside of that your gems and enchants are solid. Nicely done and keep it up. (You may want to drop your Parry rating a little and up your Dodge to minimize diminishing returns but that's really low priority.)

1) Eye for an eye is not trash. It does a good chunk of damage. Ive seen it one of my highest dmging abilities in boss fights. While I thank you for the info I know how to tank. Very well in fact. I was asking on how to do More Damage as a tank for One Specific Fight were I need high damage output. Improved judgments is a waste and have never needed extra judgement range for threat. As for the first thing that may help in the dmg department. Over all kinda missed the point. but thank you for your effort :)

Eye for an Eye is a pretty trash talent for Prot, not so great for anyone really. Ret just picks it up because damage is damage but getting utility talents instead is acceptable.

Also like it's been said if you want to up your raw single target DPS as a Tank drop Hallowed Ground and one point in PoJ and put it into Rule of Law.

Dropping the HoR glyph for the CS glyph would also be a very minor boost.

I have yet to attempt or research the fight you are asking about but I assume for some reason it relies on the Tank doing a certain amount of DPS.

Well if you can't do it with the already suggested advice the only way I see to go is more Hit and Expertise. Or the extreme such as wearing Ret gear pieces. I can't imagine why a fight would force a Tank to do so though.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 7/8/2011 12:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Sorry, I logged out in my ret spec. My guild has just started working on alysrazor and I was having trouble dropping my bird also. But after switching trinkets to my ret set heart of rage (exp -> hit, my glyphed expertise is < 20 and my hit is 0 without the trinket switch), I started dropping my add about the same time as phase 2 starts.
As far as the advice you shot down:
1) The birds are all physical damage, so eye for an eye is wasted on it.
2) The prot rotation has so little gaps that you shouldn't be dropping consecrate, so hallowed ground is also wasted. 3 points in Rule of Law will much better serve you.
3) Improved judgments (I hate how the game spells it the English way...) might not be a dps increase, but it's a quality of life thing that, at least for me, once experienced can never be lived without again. Also, it may be a dps increase by giving you another button to him when you're trying to move the hatchling and it drops out of melee range for a moment while trying to catch up.
4) Focused shield would be very advantageous on this fight, whoever said not to do it is clearly talking general purpose, which is silly since glyphs are so easy to switch out now.
5) As stated before, make sure your rotation is correct.
6) If you are still having trouble, go ahead and switch out some avoidance/mitigation (I have no advice on which tbh) and be sure to rotate cooldowns as appropriate. Good communication with healers always helps. I know I can eat a tantrum so long as I warn my healer that it's happening. Since there is a mana-recharge phase, healers shouldn't be afraid to dump their mana if it's needed.
7) No, I haven't downed him yet :-( We're still having issues with people not making "not paying attention" mistakes :-(
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I put on a couple of DPS trinkets. I generally don't bother WoGing myself in that phase unless the situation is really bad.

Is your bird not dying though? 122k should be more than fine and DPS (at least on 25 man, less so on 10) should help when they can too.
Reply Quote
Are you saving/popping AW and DP+Inq as soon as you've got an imprinted Hatchling each time?

Also, the Hatchlings are only lvl 87, so it only takes I think 721 hit/exp rating to cap/softcap.
If you're still not making it, I'd exchange your second trinket for a hit/str trinket like License to Slay and you should be good to go.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10 or 25?

We do 10mans. My gear is not that much different from yours and I don't have a lot of trouble killing my hatchling. Last night our first set of hatchlings both died with 20 seconds left before P2 began, and that was without any help from the dps. I switched around some pieces so I was hit and expertise soft-capped for level 87 mobs. Finished the boss fight with 99.7k dps, just 300 short of 100k. >.< Thinking of doing it next week in full Ret gear with a sword&board. That's going to be fun.

Do not pop wings right as you pick the hatchling up. Wait until the first Tantrum so you get a bit of Vengeance going, then try to align a Sacred Duty proc with Inquisition, pop wings and go to town. However don't delay your wings just to get both SD and Inq up. Pop it as soon as you get reasonably high Vengeance levels. Minimize your movement as much as possible.
Edited by Sliphe on 7/8/2011 1:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
66 Gnome Rogue
Theoretically i would say this is the highest dps spec/glyphs:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sbZRrhfRddoMuf0h:oszVmRzm0

That said i not recommend this spec to anyone.

Stats:
Expertise to 26>Hit to 8%>Str>Stamina>AP>Expertise to 55>Crit>>>Haste

For max DPS as a tank id say reforge for expertise soft cap/hit and then gem str. You would probably want to use the DPS str+crit damage meta and trinkets.

Max dps priority queue:

Sotr (if SD is up)>SotR (if inquisition is up)>Inquisition>CS>AS>HoW>Judgement>Cons>HW

Pretty much everything Rijdå said is correct though.
Edited by Larceny on 7/8/2011 3:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
While you don`t have to kill your other stats to meet Expertise and Hit Cap, 1% Hit and 14 Expertise with the Glyph is really low.

If you aren`t hitting the boss or getting your attacks parried, you aren`t doing damage.

I believe I`m sitting at just under 5% hit and 19-20 Expertise with the glyph (can`t verify since armory doesn`t show hit/expertise and I`m not posting from home so I can`t log in and check), and I`m still hitting my avoidance stats (dodge, parry, block and Mastery)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
While you don`t have to kill your other stats to meet Expertise and Hit Cap, 1% Hit and 14 Expertise with the Glyph is really low.

If you aren`t hitting the boss or getting your attacks parried, you aren`t doing damage.

I believe I`m sitting at just under 5% hit and 19-20 Expertise with the glyph (can`t verify since armory doesn`t show hit/expertise and I`m not posting from home so I can`t log in and check), and I`m still hitting my avoidance stats (dodge, parry, block and Mastery)

You are sacrificing a MASSIVE amount of avoidance for useless DPS stats on 99% of encounters out there.

Having such a set for Alysrazor may be beneficial, but for any other boss in the game, you're doing your raid a massive disservice by gearing in this fashion.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
10 or 25?

We do 10mans. My gear is not that much different from yours and I don't have a lot of trouble killing my hatchling. Last night our first set of hatchlings both died with 20 seconds left before P2 began, and that was without any help from the dps. I switched around some pieces so I was hit and expertise soft-capped for level 87 mobs. Finished the boss fight with 99.7k dps, just 300 short of 100k. >.< Thinking of doing it next week in full Ret gear with a sword&board. That's going to be fun.

Do not pop wings right as you pick the hatchling up. Wait until the first Tantrum so you get a bit of Vengeance going, then try to align a Sacred Duty proc with Inquisition, pop wings and go to town. However don't delay your wings just to get both SD and Inq up. Pop it as soon as you get reasonably high Vengeance levels. Minimize your movement as much as possible.

There's a HUGE difference between 10 and 25 man as far as bird HP goes. I was dropping my bird barely in time in 25-man and that's with some help from DPSers.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
whats the most dmg you ever did on someone?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]