can someone explain?

85 Human Paladin
Missing Critical need to know information!! lol

Doing Shannox and getting roflstompped by "Seperation Anxiety" is a little perplexing.

"HMM an enrage mechanic that isn't listed in the dungeon journal... we are getting aggrivated 'yes we are'"
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Death Knight
07/12/2011 12:38 PMPosted by Aelyn
But every time they do this, they never do it right.

They're not trying to replace all your addons, they're trying to provide a basic alternative, especially in cases where they can see people are using these addons to make up for some shortcoming of the default UI.

Personally, I'm happy with the default quest tracker and equipment manager. Blizzard's threat meter is perfectly fine as is, and Omen is better for it, since it no longer has to try and guess what your threat is. Once the Dungeon Finder has some time to mature, it'll be fine as well. There's nothing stopping you from installing Atlasloot anyways.

I had a tank the other day ask about what to do for a boss fight, I pointed him to it, the guy left rather than read it rofl.

Would you have really sat around and waited for him to read it?

although, a button to toggle off the boss buttons on the map will be super awesome.

Make a macro:
/run WorldMapBossButtonFrame:Hide();
Edited by Edgrr on 7/12/2011 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11 Tauren Druid
Honestly it was a waste of development time. Why? Why even bother to look at the information when some of it is incomplete for a boss fight, or leaves out key information.

Instead of gambling with the information they give you, just alt tab to your web browser and behold all the information (even non-strat info) left out.

Boss drops you say? Oh right, as if there wasn't a better addon that already existed for it.

Now I have to deal with these huge useless icons on my map, which you would have imagined they would have added an option to hide them right on the map window.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
07/12/2011 08:40 AMPosted by Angelslight
also is there any way to turn the faces off the big map its actually kinda obstructing my map.

I would also like to see the option to turn off or reduce in size the boss icons on the dungeon map.
Reply Quote
36 Worgen Warlock
I think it's okay... for people level 80 and up. What I would like for the journal is to give you info on what the dungeon drops from bosses are 15-85. I think that would be much more useful.

The raid thing though... probably never going to use it myself, wish there was an option to turn it off.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've made it up to Rag in Firelands and I've already found the Journal to be extremely useful. Of course I still check Tankspot, Wowhead, and other resources for information on boss strats and abilities. In fact, I do it compulsively. But I can't even count the number of times that we've been in progression on a Firelands boss, and in between wipes I've just taken a quick look at the journal to check how much damage an ability does, what triggers it, what exact effect a buff or debuff has, etc... Sure, I could have tabbed out to look on Wowhead or something, but it's a lot more convenient just to look at the journal in-game for a quick check.
Reply Quote
11 Tauren Druid
either:
A) The Journal is accurate, I should trust it, and people are just making up stuff based on anecdotal experience, or
B) The Journal is incomplete, which means I cant trust it, and it becomes kind of useless as I will need to go online to understand the mechanics of the abilities anyways

Clarification on this would be welcome.
Do you honestly need a blue to confirm B?
Lets go another step, do you honestly think a Blue would confirm B if it were true?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
People still need stratagies... they will still go to Wowhead, etc.. they should just put the strats on another tab or pop up window (like a spoiler button). Maybe they should unlock if you wipe once..

The reality is groups have little patience for people that dont know what to do.. and without strats the tool will not help groups be that much more successful.

Reply Quote
14 Tauren Warrior
to be an excuse to fill our bags with keys again

also it'd be useful if blizz could say exactly how rhyolith steering is determined. there are several theories but none are conclusive
Edited by Bloodpuke on 7/12/2011 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I hit 85 last week and had no idea what to do in any of the heroics, then i found the dungeon journal and voila, i could read about all the bosses ingame. A couple mins reading and I knew what i had to do to help bring down the bosses in the instances. A week later and ive completed most of the heroics without having to use any alternative source; all info gleaned from the journal and guildies i queued with.

In short, found it very helpful for a new 85, dont see why youd be negative about it op - if you dont like it - just pretend it doesnt exist.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
The purpose of the Dungeon Finder is simply to provide information in-game that is easy and accessible to everyone on the various bosses, their abilities and their loot. It is not there to provide strategies. We just wanted to give a solid starting point and foundation to everyone and let each group determine the best course of action from there.

I have to say this is an unfortunate failure of the dungeon journal. The players that truly need a dungeon journal aren't getting what they really need out of it.

Given my experience with raiding, I can easily translate the boss abilities into "well that needs a tank swap", or "we're going to have to spread out", or "maybe we should use a raid cooldown". Not all players can do this and lots of casual players would get more done without it. Unfortunately due to some elitist QQ from some "I don't do anything but play wow cry babies", players were disallowed a valuable resource.

And I ask myself, why do these guilds even care if some casuals have access to a boss ability that suggests a tank swap so some new players have a fighting chance. For the life of me, I don't know why it bothers them - because it sure doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure why you're trying to make this an "elitists ruined the game" rage thread. Your anger is misplaced, Blizzard made the decision to include no strategies. Since they first previewed it, they've said pretty clearly that it's only for abilities and loot. The reason is very simple, they create varied boss fights with various mechanics for you to figure out how to defeat. If you do not want to figure it out then you can visit guides done by other players who did spend the time to figure out a working strategy.

I don't think you realize what you're asking for, do you know of any game developer that would tell you how to play their game? Walkthroughs, Strategy Guides, etc are all made by others to help you play the game.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
07/12/2011 02:02 PMPosted by Fezlo
People still need stratagies... they will still go to Wowhead, etc.. they should just put the strats on another tab or pop up window (like a spoiler button). Maybe they should unlock if you wipe once..

Blizzard of course will never put up strategies - either in-game or on any official website. Strategies are for players to figure out, not for Blizzard to define. While fights lend themselves to certain strategies, there will always be variations, and there is no such thing as "the one true" strategy.

People can also be surprisingly creative when it comes to devising successful strategies, coming up with ways to do things that Blizzard didn't necessarily expect.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
07/12/2011 11:03 AMPosted by Nethaera
also is there any way to turn the faces off the big map its actually kinda obstructing my map.

Seriously please add this in ASAP
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Doesn't give you any strats?! Really ??
You wont them to hold your hand and give you advice on how to spec too?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
07/12/2011 02:07 PMPosted by Bloodpuke
also it'd be useful if blizz could say exactly how rhyolith steering is determined. there are several theories but none are conclusive

The best way is to use cleaves, howling blast, multi-shot and chain lightning to turn him.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]