Fix the targeting bugs already.

(Locked)

90 Gnome Warlock
eZs
Our programmers and QA analysts are working on this. There are actually a few unique targeting issues which are all documented and being investigated independently, as they're technically unrelated.

If it was a bug that somehow benefited players it'd have been hotfixed immediately yet here we are 3 weeks later without a word on an ETA for a fix for it.

It has very little to do with bug priorities, or our willingness to fix what you think we think isn't a big deal. Each bug entered into the system is a unique case and requires any number of verification methods. The process for properly identifying and addressing a bug is no more or less important depending on the type/severity of the bug.

It's also worth keeping in mind that some bugs can be addressed via a hotfix fairly easily, while others cannot be fixed without releasing a client patch. And no matter how minor the patch, building and releasing it globally is still a major logistical undertaking.

The issue specifically with targeting dead targets will require a client-side patch to address.

Perhaps you can pull some of the real devs and analysts from working on "THE NEXT BIG THING" for a few weeks to put this bug riddled boring expansion back in order? The state of the game right now and the sheer amount of crap getting past QA is completely unacceptable.
90 Orc Warrior
Hmm. So I'm not the only one. I thought I was just goofing up or something, and no one's said anything about it since I came back. Though, I did have issues with targeting corpses before 4.2 (Mostly through accidentally hitting the 'F' key), but simply unbinding it fixed that issue. I was wondering why I was targeting things I didn't click, and why tanking got a little tougher than I remembered. It's a little annoying, and it could be detrimental in a raid or Arena/Battleground, but I haven't had too much bad luck with it yet. I do hope a fix comes relatively soon, though.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Well, I'm fairly certain this bug was reported on the PTRs and never should've made it live.

If it was fixed there instead of making it to the live servers it wouldn't require a client update to fix and we wouldn't have had to deal with it for three weeks now, but we know how that goes.

So, however major of a logistical undertaking it may be to apply a client-side patch it's something that needs to be done as soon as possible.

You're basically causing people to wipe in instances because the game is randomly targeting CCed mobs or different pulls all together and casting on them. Doesn't really seem like something that the playerbase should just have to deal with.

As soon as possible can take a rather long time, especially given the scale of WoW. For every bug, they need to identify exactly what's causing it, develop a fix, and ensure said fix doesn't break anything else.

For a hyperbolic example, imagine if their fix for targeting dead things made it so you could no longer target dead bodies at all (and thus not loot them).
90 Gnome Warlock
eZs
Well, I'm fairly certain this bug was reported on the PTRs and never should've made it live.

If it was fixed there instead of making it to the live servers it wouldn't require a client update to fix and we wouldn't have had to deal with it for three weeks now, but we know how that goes.

So, however major of a logistical undertaking it may be to apply a client-side patch it's something that needs to be done as soon as possible.

You're basically causing people to wipe in instances because the game is randomly targeting CCed mobs or different pulls all together and casting on them. Doesn't really seem like something that the playerbase should just have to deal with.

As soon as possible can take a rather long time, especially given the scale of WoW. For every bug, they need to identify exactly what's causing it, develop a fix, and ensure said fix doesn't break anything else.

For a hyperbolic example, imagine if their fix for targeting dead things made it so you could no longer target dead bodies at all (and thus not loot them).

This argument falls flat when you consider this company and this game has more resources available to them than any MMO in history....yet the game itself is no bigger than the avg mmo. It's just got more customers. What's happened here is what has happened in any MMO that is in it's elder years and is completely expected. They've moved all but a skeleton crew to work on a new project that is there for little more than to keep the games "heart" beating.
Edited by Zinky on 7/12/2011 8:31 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Priest
Totally agree, on my pally I can't stand tanking with this bug.
85 Draenei Shaman

I see what you did there. ;) 10/10

I totally agree. Wouldn't it be amazing if they came up with some sort of realm for testing patches where these bugs were reported so that they could be diagnosed and repaired before people had to suffer them on the live realms? Oh, what a fanciful world that would be!

I see what you did there. ;) 10/10
Edited by Miarralol on 7/12/2011 8:38 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
Really makes playing a melee far more of a pain than it should be. Not terribly fun playing my feral drood or pally now. Gets tedious suddenly seeing my judgement landing on a mob waaaay over there and pulling a whole new group down on my head.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
07/12/2011 08:29 PMPosted by Cheesus
I totally agree. Wouldn't it be amazing if they came up with some sort of realm for testing patches where these bugs were reported so that they could be diagnosed and repaired before people had to suffer them on the live realms? Oh, what a fanciful world that would be!

I'm assuming the reason the issue came to live as because they didn't consider it important enough to delay 4.2 for.
85 Human Hunter
[quote]I totally agree. Wouldn't it be amazing if they came up with some sort of realm for testing patches where these bugs were reported so that they could be diagnosed and repaired before people had to suffer them on the live realms? Oh, what a fanciful world that would be!

They just had to much on their plate to fix all the bugs reported on the ptr, like removing the oh annoying key ring and ripping off atlas loot.
80 Tauren Paladin
07/12/2011 06:33 PMPosted by Cheesus
Talking about the game randomly targeting mobs when you're using abilities and constantly targeting a corpse after using tab.

omg, I thought it was just me. I didn't know that this was a bug.
85 Blood Elf Priest
07/12/2011 08:49 PMPosted by Suncow
Talking about the game randomly targeting mobs when you're using abilities and constantly targeting a corpse after using tab.

omg, I thought it was just me. I didn't know that this was a bug.

Lol nah bro I got sick of it.
90 Gnome Warlock
eZs
07/12/2011 08:42 PMPosted by Cheesus
Yeah, I haven't even played my Druid since the patch so I can't imagine the fun it must be having a resource system like Combo Points being wiped out because the game decided you should be attacking something else.

Omg, I didn't even think of that...would explain the issues my rogue was having. I think I was bumping tab or clicking crap with my mouse.
90 Night Elf Hunter
07/12/2011 07:53 PMPosted by Zarhym
It has very little to do with bug priorities, or our willingness to fix what you think we think isn't a big deal. Each bug entered into the system is a unique case and requires any number of verification methods. The process for properly identifying and addressing a bug is no more or less important depending on the type/severity of the bug.

This would be good if the bug was discovered recently but that isn't the case. As previously alluded to, it was brought up during PTR of the current content patch which means one of several things:

(1) It was decided by the developers that this bug was not high on their priority list to fix.

(2) Blizzard management decided that any bugs left in the PTR would eventually be fixed and that as long as it wasn't "client breaking", to go ahead and release the patch so they could placate their anxious shareholders.

(3) Somehow the bug report was mishandled and had to be fed into the queue ... at the very back of a very long line.

Even as a DPS this is annoying. Trying to dispel enrage and randomly getting a corpse to dispel off isn't exactly kosher.
85 Blood Elf Priest
07/12/2011 08:54 PMPosted by Potluck

This would be good if the bug was discovered recently but that isn't the case. As previously alluded to, it was brought up during PTR of the current content patch which means one of several things:

(1) It was decided by the developers that this bug was not high on their priority list to fix.

(2) Blizzard management decided that any bugs left in the PTR would eventually be fixed and that as long as it wasn't "client breaking", to go ahead and release the patch so they could placate their anxious shareholders.

(3) Somehow the bug report was mishandled and had to be fed into the queue ... at the very back of a very long line.

Even as a DPS this is annoying. Trying to dispel enrage and randomly getting a corpse to dispel off isn't exactly kosher.

Since the patch is the only time i've ever wiped a group as a tank. QQ
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]