Fix the targeting bugs already.

(Locked)

85 Human Paladin
I saw a post that made a good point, any bug that players benefit from is hotfixed immediately, but any bug that complicates or cripples our gameplay, is dealth with after 3 months or even 3 years. Same goes for PvP, when certain classes are clearly overpowered beyond explanation, it takes them months to do anything about it. This is supposed to be a constantly updating game, a live game, it's the reason we all still play it, otherwise I'd be back in WC3, yet things take so long to get done over there at HQ.

I too am having this bug, I noticed it when I was tanking the Last boss of Zul'Aman and we wiped because the Cats ripped apart our healer and I couldn't do anything about it.
85 Dwarf Paladin
Remember when reckoning bombs unlimited stacks video came up and we watched 1 Paladin one shot a boss and it was hotfixed in like a hour after the video was uploaded? LOL
85 Blood Elf Warrior
This should be a top priority.

As a Warrior tank, my Revenge randomly targeting another target and my cleave randomly targeting another target is a HUGE deal. I switch my targets constantly based off threat, so if my Revenge turns around and targets the last target that I generally would have just blasted with a Shield Slam, that's huge loss of effective AE threat generation.
85 Gnome Rogue
07/12/2011 09:37 PMPosted by Zxillius
To be fair Zarhym, when there's something tiny that benefits a small number of PvE players in a way you don't want it to, it's hotfixed within hours. If it effects PvP to the same small degree, or doesn't have to do with shortening the gear grind, it becomes weeks/months/years (vanish). This is a trend that has been consistent since... forever... I think he's within his rights to make the observation publicly.

It does the same thing in PvE. Stop trying to play the PvP vs. PvE card.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
My first toon was a hunter. Targeting bug made me roll this tank. Now we have a new targeting bug, so I'm building a Holy Set. Hopefully, my heals won't randomly target the mob instead of the tank.
85 Gnome Rogue
07/12/2011 11:05 PMPosted by Argerich
My first toon was a hunter. Targeting bug made me roll this tank. Now we have a new targeting bug, so I'm building a Holy Set. Hopefully, my heals won't randomly target the mob instead of the tank.

No, but near the end of wrath, my heals started targeting player pets instead of the player. Don't remember what the problem was, but I think it was a raidframe issue.
85 Human Death Knight
I was just about to make a thread about this subject. This happened to me about a minute ago:

I was in Twilight Highlands killing owls for one of the wedding quests. I killed one owl, targeted another and cast icy touch. I then go to cast plague strike to find that I've automatically retarget the owl I just killed. I target the owl that's now attacking me and cast plague strike. I then go to use Obliterate and find that once again I've targeted that damn dead owl. I target the owl I'm fighting again and finish up the fight.

Stuff like this has been happening to me ever since the patch. I feel like I shouldn't even bother playing my Death Knight at the moment with the random targeting of dead creatures and my Ghoul running off and attacking random mobs 50 miles away.
14 Orc Hunter
What I find hilarious about this whole debacle is, hunters have had pretty much the same issues people are reporting now for.. oh.. a looooonnnnngggg time (until the recent "fix".. lol). So what happened when it caused a raid issue? "Quit making excuses and L2Play huntard." Yeah. A taste of your own medicine I say. Now you know what it was like, other than the derogatory remarks implying the issue was something we were making up. Still have issues of autoshot hitting something different than special attacks, which is highly annoying. I'm sure a lot of these issues are tied to a bad "fix" for our issues. I also second the motion of getting the devs that understand the system back long enough to fix it. This has gone on for far too long and is a bit rediculous at this point.

At the end of the day, if there is ONE single system in the whole game that should work solid, smooth, intuitive and consistant, it's targeting. This is not just a core system, it's a backbone. Freakin fix it. This is the definition of gamebreaking.
Edited by Garol on 7/12/2011 11:27 PM PDT
81 Blood Elf Death Knight
These aren't the only bugs, world of warcraft sucks now.
I suspect these targeting issues also cripple auto-farming bots, which is the actual reason they haven't been fixed, or even acknowledged in the known bug/issues list. Broken as intended. It's nice to finally see a blue response but this is similar to auto-loot not working all the time, which has been in place for years and will probably never be fixed.

Normally I would say a minor annoyance is worth putting up with if it means wow doesn't get overrun with bots like most other MMOs. But unlike the auto-loot 'bug' which requires us to (infrequently) manually click loot in the loot window or close and reopen it, this can cripple DPS and cause wipes in raids, among other things.

07/12/2011 11:15 PMPosted by Garol
This is not just a core system, it's a backbone. Freakin fix it. This is the definition of gamebreaking.
Edited by Fleas on 7/12/2011 11:31 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
Ten

"""I totally agree. Wouldn't it be amazing if they came up with some sort of realm for testing patches where these bugs were reported so that they could be diagnosed and repaired before people had to suffer them on the live realms? Oh, what a fanciful world that would be!"""

I understand getting enough players onto the PTR to test particular issues can be difficult, how about creating and incentive for those that do log onto the PTR and fill out some report template
maybe a miniature pet, 1/2 finished of course

Even as a DPS this is annoying. Trying to dispel enrage and randomly getting a corpse to dispel off isn't exactly kosher.

In Bgs today: "Why is that priest still moving? - I stunned them! Why am I out of range of the priest, I'm following right on them? Oh, I'm targetting that hunter way over there that's stunned. WTF? How?" Very, very annoying, especially as it happened many times in many BGs,. and not just with HoJ. Throwing Hammer of Wrath at someone under 20% when suddenly is greys out. Why? Because my target swapped to some other guy on 90% health - someone that I did not click on, or mouse over, and who is nowhere near me.

I now realise it was probably why I was having such trouble tanking and DPSing FL trash, too. Thank goodness it doesn't matter who I'm targeting for healing (because I use Clique+Grid).
80 Blood Elf Priest
07/12/2011 09:12 PMPosted by Cheesus
It's a horrible bug and sucks that we have to deal with it, but it's just insulting that they were aware of it and let it go live.

You're absolutely right, they should have delayed the patch for weeks while this bug was getting fixed. /end sarcasm
90 Troll Shaman
07/12/2011 07:53 PMPosted by Zarhym
The process for properly identifying and addressing a bug is no more or less important depending on the type/severity of the bug.

I don't think this came out the way you meant it. I suspect you meant that even very serious bugs still have to go through the process you have set up to deal with them, and rushing won't produce a better result.

But what it sounded like you said is that there is no way in your system to prioritize a serious issue over an irrelevant one. Yes, I know, every bug is relevant... But I find it hard to believe that you don't look at certain bugs and go, whoa, we need to get our best guys on this NOW.
What I find hilarious about this whole debacle is, hunters have had pretty much the same issues people are reporting now for.. oh.. a looooonnnnngggg time (until the recent "fix".. lol). So what happened when it caused a raid issue? "Quit making excuses and L2Play huntard." Yeah. A taste of your own medicine I say. Now you know what it was like, other than the derogatory remarks implying the issue was something we were making up. Still have issues of autoshot hitting something different than special attacks, which is highly annoying. I'm sure a lot of these issues are tied to a bad "fix" for our issues. I also second the motion of getting the devs that understand the system back long enough to fix it. This has gone on for far too long and is a bit rediculous at this point.

At the end of the day, if there is ONE single system in the whole game that should work solid, smooth, intuitive and consistant, it's targeting. This is not just a core system, it's a backbone. Freakin fix it. This is the definition of gamebreaking.

If my brief stint as a hunter is anything to go by, the issue was less "randomly targeting a random mob while attacking or using an ability" and more "randomly targeting a new mob once the old one died, with auto-shot still active and thereby accidentally chain-pulling as long as an un-pulled mob was within line of sight".

Similar, yes, but not identical. The current bug causes random mobs (targetlasttarget seems to be about right) to be targeted when using abilities (or just autoattacking) even while the current target is still alive (in effect, it's the opposite of the hunter bug, which tended to find a new target as soon as the old one was dead and required no abilities to be used in order to automatically acquire said target).

A very convoluted fix would be to rebind all of your abilities (or at least your frequently used ones) to [target=focus] macros on the same keys, binding a key to "/focus", then tab+focusing your new target as you go, ensuring that your attacks (other than autoattack) will hit your desired (and focused) target, no matter what the game has randomly selected for you to attack at the moment.

Will it suck to make those macros? Yes. Will some abilities have to be left out because there aren't enough macro slots? Yes. Is it a completely over-the-top effort to make the game playable despite an unnecessarily long-lived and game-breaking bug? Yes. Should Blizzard amend its policies to try and fix any and all high-priority (showstopping and game-breaking) bugs before the patch goes live, and learn to delay the patch until such time as those severe bugs are fixed? F***ing yes.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]