Fix the targeting bugs already.

(Locked)

85 Human Rogue
You're like that kid in 4th grade who's dad told him his beebee gun needed to be fixed because it wasn't working right, and he wanted to shoot it so bad he yanked it up anyway, fired it once, and now he sports a wicked eightball glass eye.

Seriously, I'd rather they delayed the patch a few weeks, fixed this horribly annoying bug, then released it. Wow, you got some new haircuts and a raid that will likely wipe half the time because they released it with a bug that screws with your targeting.

"When there is no more room in hell, the dead shall be auto-targeted."
85 Tauren Death Knight

I WISH I had bookmarked the blue post that said as much, but they DO NOT use the PTR to fix bugs before they hit the live realms. They're useful for "reporting" but as many can testify, most PTR bugs reported do make it to live realms.

Most make it through because "the sample size is too small". They cannot take 3 or even 4/10 testers at face value for reporting a bug and divert resources to that bug. That's the simple truth. That line I do remember clearly.

Well, I truly hope that isn't true.

If it is, that has to be the most insufferably stupid way to run a game, ever.

They can't trust the bug reports on the PTR, but suddenly the bug reports on the live servers are more credible? If that's the case then they need to hire a competent QA team that they can trust to find and report these bugs.

The entire purpose of test realms and QA departments is to prevent bugs and imbalances from making it to the live game and inconveniencing your paying customers, not to use them as unwitting guinea pigs.
Just because that is the purpose does not mean that's how people actually use them.

Sad as it is, Most use the PTR as a "preview" for what's to come. Most players who use the PTR do it to try out the new shinies, Try a new class, just duel, or...as I've seen in Alliance side Trade chat, Kingdom RP (I wish I was kidding.)

In other words,l not everyone uses the PTR as they do the Live realms, and those who DO go on the PTR..even fewer still actually give feedback.

I can see very easily how they can say "the sample size is too small"

07/13/2011 12:00 AMPosted by Uzak
Interesting tactic to convince that missing 600k playerbase chunk to come back.
There is not enough room on the desk in front of me to smash my face into @ this Loltastic statement.
Edited by Shimala on 7/13/2011 12:23 AM PDT
85 Tauren Druid
Isnt just me?

All the day i target the !!!@in healer in BG -> Berserk, Trinket, Mangle, Rake, Shred -> 5 Combo point "DIEEEEEEE" oh wait, my target is Warrior Prot. WTF?
90 Gnome Priest
07/12/2011 05:46 PMPosted by Cheesus
If it was a bug that somehow benefited players it'd have been hotfixed immediately yet here we are 3 weeks later without a word on an ETA for a fix for it.

Warriors being able to charge while in melee range on most PvE bosses for AN ENTIRE PATCH say hello.
You're like that kid in 4th grade who's dad told him his beebee gun needed to be fixed because it wasn't working right, and he wanted to shoot it so bad he yanked it up anyway, fired it once, and now he sports a wicked eightball glass eye.

Seriously, I'd rather they delayed the patch a few weeks, fixed this horribly annoying bug, then released it. Wow, you got some new haircuts and a raid that will likely wipe half the time because they released it with a bug that screws with your targeting.

"When there is no more room in hell, the dead shall be auto-targeted."

Which "you" are you referring to? Blizzard?

...I guess I can see the analogy there, though it's pretty iffy.
87 Draenei Paladin
Zarhym is right about one thing though, there are multiple issues.

We now target dead mobs with tab when we're trying to tab through to find something.

We also get stuck on a dead mob.

We also target random targets when we don't even touch tab or manually select another target.

I was tanking H VP the other night for a guildie. Was on the second to last trash pull before the final boss (not counting the stars). Had one healer mind controled, the other was in a trap. I had the other three mobs on the stairs. Went to cast AS, and watched it break the trap mob even though a second before I was targeting one of the three mobs trying to eat my face and had not tabbed or manually targeted the trapped mob. I was a sad panda and wished I hadn't been in range to hit the cc mob (was probably just barely in range since I had pulled the other three back in order to not break that trap). We didn't wipe but we almost did when both me and the healer got stunned and I had four beating on me.

I've gotten stuck on corpses and had it constantly keep re-targeting corpses to the point where I drag the living mobs away. It seems 5-10 yards from a corpse keeps it from going back to it.

You can really thrill your group by going to cast judgment on the mob you targeted that's in your face and watching it hit a whole other pack of mobs when the game randomly re-targeted for you. PuG's really appreciate that.

I have a hunter and feel for hunter's but to those in this thread - what hunter's had to deal with is no where near as bad as this. Tanking can be a nightmare and while hunter's play an important role, if I fail to control a group because I can't stop looking a dead corpse we all die. If my mage is working on what she is supposed to then ends up pulling a whole other group because the engine randomly re-targets suddenly for her, there's a good chance we die.

I'm sure getting rid of all those keys that so many of us on all our toons spent so much time getting was really important, but please fix this. My suspicions, looking at how this didn't exist before the patch, is that the problem could very well partly lie in the new pet AI.
100 Dwarf Hunter
Our programmers and QA analysts are working on this. There are actually a few unique targeting issues which are all documented and being investigated independently, as they're technically unrelated.

If it was a bug that somehow benefited players it'd have been hotfixed immediately yet here we are 3 weeks later without a word on an ETA for a fix for it.

It has very little to do with bug priorities, or our willingness to fix what you think we think isn't a big deal. Each bug entered into the system is a unique case and requires any number of verification methods. The process for properly identifying and addressing a bug is no more or less important depending on the type/severity of the bug.

It's also worth keeping in mind that some bugs can be addressed via a hotfix fairly easily, while others cannot be fixed without releasing a client patch. And no matter how minor the patch, building and releasing it globally is still a major logistical undertaking.

The issue specifically with targeting dead targets will require a client-side patch to address.

But as the OP state if this tab targeting bug was giving any type of benefit to players ie extra gold or gear...or whatever ....you would have it fixed immediately..client side or not ...not weeks and weeks later.

Your lack of fixing huge problems like this is wearing thin on many players...if the bug gives extra gear or gold your all over it to stop it...but when doesn't give any player anything extra other then a freaking nitemare to do raids or dungeons....you say we are working on it ...yeah like you worked on the northern spice bug ....1000's of us couldn't buy NR spice from vendors ...it took you over 9 weeks to fix that issue...why cause it was a non issue to you just like this tab targeting bug is now.
85 Tauren Death Knight
07/13/2011 12:40 AMPosted by Mauserd
But as the OP state if this tab targeting bug was giving any type of benefit to players ie extra gold or gear...or whatever ....you would have it fixed immediately..client side or not ...not weeks and weeks late
Engine problems usually don't provide benfits-accidental or not.

Game-world problems are things that tend to do this-and are usually immediately rectifiable.
89 Human Paladin
07/12/2011 07:53 PMPosted by Zarhym
The issue specifically with targeting dead targets will require a client-side patch to address.

QoL fix i'd be happy to have sooner rather than later.
85 Gnome Warrior
This thread makes me very happy, as I thought it was just my crappy playing making me target dead things.
100 Human Death Knight
Will be glad to see this fixed.

Uh, please work on tab-targeting the mob in the group beyond yours instead of the one directly in front of you, also.

Thanks!
85 Worgen Death Knight
And here I thought I was just going crazy,good to know this is an actual issue. Not good to know that it's going to require a clientside patch that we probably won't see for months.

EDIT: By the way the posts from PVP players ranting about how it won't be fixed quickly because it "doesn't affect PVE" are out of their goddamn minds. This is easily just as critical a PVE issue as it is a PVP one.
Edited by Nahelia on 7/13/2011 2:39 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Our programmers and QA analysts are working on this. There are actually a few unique targeting issues which are all documented and being investigated independently, as they're technically unrelated.

Does this include the auto attack bug?
It's also worth keeping in mind that some bugs can be addressed via a hotfix fairly easily, while others cannot be fixed without releasing a client patch. And no matter how minor the patch, building and releasing it globally is still a major logistical undertaking.

Why does it seem that server side patches are somehow easier than client side patches? A patch is a patch? You all seem to think that client side patches are somehow harder to pull off than a server side patch. Why is that?
85 Gnome Mage
07/12/2011 05:46 PMPosted by Cheesus

I think everyone knows that but the Blues are paid to deny it.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
ITT: First-world problems
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]