Fix the targeting bugs already.

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Priest
Indeed... Fireland trash drops were nerfed live right as people were doing it. Solo kill one mob in the lava one minute for a bunch of gold, the next minute it drops 75s.

This bug is certainly very annoying as a tank. I see no reason why I should waste my time tanking with annoyances like this.
86 Gnome Death Knight
Our programmers and QA analysts are working on this. There are actually a few unique targeting issues which are all documented and being investigated independently, as they're technically unrelated.

If it was a bug that somehow benefited players it'd have been hotfixed immediately yet here we are 3 weeks later without a word on an ETA for a fix for it.

It has very little to do with bug priorities, or our willingness to fix what you think we think isn't a big deal. Each bug entered into the system is a unique case and requires any number of verification methods. The process for properly identifying and addressing a bug is no more or less important depending on the type/severity of the bug.

It's also worth keeping in mind that some bugs can be addressed via a hotfix fairly easily, while others cannot be fixed without releasing a client patch. And no matter how minor the patch, building and releasing it globally is still a major logistical undertaking.

The issue specifically with targeting dead targets will require a client-side patch to address.

Thank you for a detailed response. Why could you have simply not come out and said this instead of leaving us hanging for nearly half a month with nothing but "We are aware of this issue."?

Probably the largest frustration about this has been the lack of communication from Blizzard about this when it makes the game near unplayable for a large majority of us.
87 Tauren Druid
While I am normally patient with bugs, tanking is just awful with the way things are now. I thought I was just incompetent at AoE tanking, or that it was simply how poor Druid AoE tanking was with my mediocre gear, until I heard about this bug. Now I realize i've been trying to use all my attacks on dead mobs, CCed targets, and wrong targets that I already have strong threat on.

PLEASE fix this quickly. I would not like to find a guild for this tank once I am geared, only to be booted or benched because I cannot hold AoE aggro or always ruin CC.
100 Human Paladin
07/12/2011 06:45 PMPosted by Terciel
Whenever I try to post on the forum, I auto-target one of the dead horses lying around (CtA, BoA, RDF, BBQ, take your pick)...

Genius
This is all weird, I don't have a tank but I have noticed when doing solo runs and such, all my abilities and auto attacks are supposedly hitting the corpse targeted, but it just so happens to hit the living things.... in other word I think it is just an interface glitch because it does not make me attack the corpse, it only focuses the corpse.... just my observation.

Edit: Might still be unclear, what I have noticed is all my attacks and abilities are reverted to another mob that is nearby.
Edited by Vitesse on 7/13/2011 6:27 AM PDT
First to the Blues and Blizzard - Thank you for letting us know that you are working on the problem.

Second to the people who are being so rude to the blizzard team, suggesting developers be pulled off other projects to fix a bug, etc.. - Obviously you know zilch about how to program an MMO or you wouldn't be making such ridiculous remarks. You're making yourself look uneducated about computer programming. Please hush.
Our programmers and QA analysts are working on this. There are actually a few unique targeting issues which are all documented and being investigated independently, as they're technically unrelated.

It has very little to do with bug priorities, or our willingness to fix what you think we think isn't a big deal. Each bug entered into the system is a unique case and requires any number of verification methods. The process for properly identifying and addressing a bug is no more or less important depending on the type/severity of the bug.

It's also worth keeping in mind that some bugs can be addressed via a hotfix fairly easily, while others cannot be fixed without releasing a client patch. And no matter how minor the patch, building and releasing it globally is still a major logistical undertaking.

The issue specifically with targeting dead targets will require a client-side patch to address.

Thank you for a detailed response. Why could you have simply not come out and said this instead of leaving us hanging for nearly half a month with nothing but "We are aware of this issue."?

Probably the largest frustration about this has been the lack of communication from Blizzard about this when it makes the game near unplayable for a large majority of us.

Read this thread, and you'll probably have your answer to "why didn't you say so."

Because saying so doesn't do any good, it is like throwing blood-bait into a shark pool around here.

Learning to say, "Thank you," and then closing our mouths MIGHT make them a little more happy to step up and talk to us.
Fair point, I see a lot of whining even after Blizz gives assurance.
07/13/2011 06:31 AMPosted by Jaydriel
I haven't had any issues targetting corpses or totems. I just wish that 'tab' would select a mob directly in front of me rather than 20 yards to my left.

If they fixed that then people would get mad because they can't target far away mobs.... I think what it does is prioritise mobs that are directly along a line in front of you, meaning any mobs you are directly looking toward would take priority over one that is 2 steps to the left of you direction. Just a guess but that is what I've seen.
Edited by Vitesse on 7/13/2011 6:35 AM PDT
100 Goblin Shaman
it'd be nice if they fixed the pet AI they screwed up in 4.2.

i've misdirected to my pet, multi-shot a group of mobs, and after the one the pet first attacked died, he went back to my side and sat idle until I re-attacked one of the remaining ones

I can tell you that the change WAS intended. What they did was remove "aggressive", perhaps due to confusion or obtuseness by new hunters, and replaced it with "assist". This means that the pet will attack a mob, outside of using AOE, if you are attacking it. You may have to put the pet in "defensive" mode instead and hope that the mobs you're dealing with actually "hits" the pet to register themselves on the aggro table so that the pet will continue to attack them after the first mob has died. Even so, sometimes that stance doesn't work as advertised and crabby will come running to my side, an army of angry mobs hot on its claws.

I've had the new assist stance bug up on me a few times. Either the pet will still decide to do it's own thing and attack something else (rare), assist will turn itself back onto passive (more common/very annoying), or I'll hit assist and the pet will sit there and do nothing whatsoever once I start attacking a mob (really, really, really annoying). I had to put /petattack in attack macroes just to work around the pet assist thing. For some reason, I haven't been able to just put my pet on defensive.

As for the targetting issue, hunters apparently had a targetting bug that stayed in the game for close to 3 years (the ability for a hunter to auto target a mob- was very convenient when soloing- not so much when in a group). The biggest reason for both of these fixes was so hunters wouldn't accidentally target a mob from across the room while in a group (though a lot of us didn't have this issue until Cata came out- I'm still not convinced it has nothing to do with the spell queuing implemented). Just for the record, before Cata I never randomly targetted a mob (though I have accidentally backed up into a group of mobs during an instance fight); a lot of that was because I actually pay attention- "Ok group of mobs is dead. Click ground, stop attacking.") Most hunters randomly pulling crap were the ones NOT paying attention.

As for the new targetting bug, I don't normally do instances on the hunter (retired her in lieu of this toon for now), but I can see where targetting dead mobs could be a pain in the rear. Last time I played my hunter was literally right after the hunter auto shot fix. I set focus to my tank so I can target what he is, but I could not untarget dead things, even manually clicking what he was on didn't help. I would be more inclined to play my dps main (heck even level up my tank toons) if these bugs weren't happening.
Edited by Jujubiju on 7/13/2011 6:48 AM PDT
90 Troll Hunter
ITT: People thinking fixing issues are something that can be done super easily.

None of you work for Blizzard, I'm assuming barely ANY of you work with code, and I'm assuming quite a few of you don't understand how businesses operate.

Once again, it's okay to express concerns and issues that's going on. It's understandable that you'll be angry especially if it's been an issue that's going on for a long time.

That doesn't give people any right to be rude, sarcastic or "I'm right you're wrong Blizzard, L2fixbugs".

(This doesn't refer to people who are actually nice in their responses from Blizzard).

None of you work for Blizzard, I'm assuming barely ANY of you work with code, and I'm assuming quite a few of you don't understand how businesses operate.

Once again, it's okay to express concerns and issues that's going on. It's understandable that you'll be angry especially if it's been an issue that's going on for a long time.

That doesn't give people any right to be rude, sarcastic or "I'm right you're wrong Blizzard, L2fixbugs".

(This doesn't refer to people who are actually nice in their responses from Blizzard).

I find it hilarious that each of my characters wants to kill a dead guy :)
90 Troll Hunter

I find it hilarious that each of my characters wants to kill a dead guy :)

I dunno... your character could dislike him so much he wants to kill the dead guys body... if that works >.>
100 Dwarf Hunter
First to the Blues and Blizzard - Thank you for letting us know that you are working on the problem.

Second to the people who are being so rude to the blizzard team, suggesting developers be pulled off other projects to fix a bug, etc.. - Obviously you know zilch about how to program an MMO or you wouldn't be making such ridiculous remarks. You're making yourself look uneducated about computer programming. Please hush.

Its funny that once firelands opened up and insane about of gear and recipes were dropping and we had players soloing that place ...boom all kinds of nerfs came in in less then 48 hours...not just one nerf but quite a few nerfs to firelands trash mobs...so yeah I call bologna on blizzard saying it will take quite a long time to fix this issue....as stated by the OP ....if there was any benefit to players for this bug ie gold...gear....vanity pets you name it it would of been fixed asap.

1000's of players went though this type of crap in LK with the northern spice bug that none of us could buy from the vendors...it forced many players to have to buy spice off the AH at crazy high rates due to those that knew of the spice bug....it took over 9+ weeks for that to be fixed...so yeah some of us are jaded on how and when blizzard fixes stuff like this....as long as a player gets no benefit off a bug ...they take their sweet time fixing them....but let a trash mob or boss drop the wrong gear or too much gear and boom in less then 24 hours that bug is fixed and stopped.
100 Orc Shaman
This explains a lot actually. Its really annoying on my warrior when I'm trying to keep the Slaughter buff up and I keep targeting dead people and not the guys smacking the tank in front of me. Also because I'm here...

Searing totem...Y U NO ATTACK MY TARGET?
85 Human Paladin
I thought it was just me to be honest, I'm relieved to see that other people are having this problem and that Blizzard is aware of it, here's to hoping a fix is found/implemented soon!

As my guild's AoE tank, it is incredibly frustrating to try and tab target only to get corpses.
Edited by Consecrate on 7/13/2011 7:09 AM PDT
85 Worgen Rogue

I'm sick of randomly targeting mobs when I try to use an ability or targeting corpses whenever I tab.

I thought it was just me coming back from an nearly 8 month break, noobishly and mysteriously targeting dead mobs LOL.

Peace
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]