Fix the targeting bugs already.

(Locked)

90 Human Paladin
Yeah this really is incredibly frustrating. I've noticed sometimes when i target myself for a heal sometimes it will say "View of target is obstructed", or something along those lines. How can I not see myself? =/
100 Night Elf Rogue
I noticed this when using the assist key. I was fairly certain the tank wasn't beating on an already dead mob, but not I'm not so sure, if the target was arrived at by tabbing. I finally quit using the assist key.

07/13/2011 07:48 AMPosted by Leighthall
How can I not see myself? =/

Maybe you were around the corner from yourself?
Edited by Yabugmekid on 7/13/2011 7:53 AM PDT
92 Blood Elf Rogue
so annoying in pvp!

i vanish to switch with a garrote... soon as garrote lands im targeting another player 90% of the time

whats funny is it still lets me hit my target half of the time even though im targeting someone else....
85 Goblin Warrior
Balance issues can be hotfixed easily because they're simply values in the database. Push a new loot table to fix soloable trash in the Firelands, tweak an overpowered [insert class you hate] ability by messing with the numbers.

But the targeting system is at the very core of the engine; any fix to that is going to be extremely delicate surgery to avoid creating even greater problems.

I'm frustrated too: though I raid as cat dps, I run heroics as tank most often because the queues on my battlegroup are on average half an hour shorter, and my gear's solid for either. The tab-targetting issue is a HUGE pain for almost everyone who plays, which is why they're most likely taking the time to get it right, instead of pushing a patch or hotfix that doesn't actually fix the issue when they say it does, and get people howling for their heads.

Software development for WoW must be an incredibly thankless job--you do your job right, everyone rejoices for a bit, then forgets you the next day... screw up just once and frothing mobs of people want your head.

Any blue who reads this, please pass on my many heartfelt /hugs to the dev team. =^_^=

(P.S. Heck, do your job right and people STILL get mad at you for nerfing their favorite ability. XD)

So true. People just like to find things to complain about.
90 Night Elf Druid
I just want to point out that I work in software, on some really complicated server stuff. And while yes sometimes its very difficult to find the problem.

The fact is this is a REGRESSION. And first and formost this should have never made it out the door. Regressions are sloppy, and the kind of thing you loose lots of money and customers over.

Because its a regression it should be HIGH PRIORITY. Doesn't matter if the fix has to be client side, server side, or delivered via some ugly hack. You fix it and you fix it FAST, (least according to my business). The fact that 3 weeks has passed and customers are complaining about it is embarrasing.

We are your customers, and our experience right now SUCKS from this problem. So please listen to the people who pay the bills and fix the problems which werern't present 3 weeks ago.
85 Draenei Priest
I haven't seen too much problem with my Priest (though I've definitely seen tanks struggle with it while on her). But my poor, poor Death Knights.

It's embarassing to have Howling Blast hit something you weren't targetting in the first place and pull in another set of mobs because your target changes randomly on you.
Edited by Tiakatt on 7/13/2011 8:43 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
Maybe I'm playing a different game than the rest of you... But these bugs (both the hunter bug that was fixed and this new one) don't happen to me nearly as often as you all describe. No, that doesn't make me less annoyed when it happens but they do seem to happen a lot less often than "90% of the time" as I see a lot of you saying.

In fact, I never once auto-targeted a new mob on my hunter. I always laughed at the other hunters in my guild when they pulled something and said it was the bug's fault. No, it's not the bug. You're just not paying enough attention.

The "target-dead-mobs-because-World-of-Warcraft-likes-to" bug does happen, though. While it causes momentary confusion and quite a bit of annoyance, it's not as "game breaking" during most pulls as some people are making it out to be. If DPS are so close to your threat that you lose it in 2-3 seconds of having to retarget, they're either not paying enough attention to their own threat or yours isn't very good to begin with (obviously, that's a little situational - if you aren't expertise or hitcapped that might just be bad RNG - it happens).

I don't really enjoy the fact that this was a reported bug on the PTR and didn't get fixed. Two months sounds like plenty long enough to get something like this at least looked at long enough to give an update other than "We know of this bug. Programming is hard. We'll have to client-side patch it out in the future."

On a related note; I, too, often do see that when I suddenly target a dead mob that I'm not actually attacking it.

Also - fix Tab to target based on proximity, not line of sight.

EDIT: To those saying that DPS randomly targeting other mobs and pulling them being "not as bad" as a tank randomly targeting dead mobs right in front of them; As long as it's trash, that spell you're trying to interrupt or that DPS that just pulled one mob off you shouldn't wipe you with competent players. A new and fresh set of baddies that're trying to beat the group's face with whatever stick they have in their hand is probably going to put more stress on everyone.
Edited by Dryarae on 7/13/2011 8:48 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
I've noticed a number of unique bugs with targeting.

1) [help] conditional no longer works. I had to change /cleartarget [help] to /cleartarget [noharm], for example.

2) The aforementioned targeting of dead enemies. I'd also still have the dead mob as a Target unit, but be auto-attacking a living mob and using some special attacks. Meanwhile other special attacks fail due to being applied to my apparent target instead of the auto-attack target.

3) I've even spread rend from a dead Target. Honest. Charge, rend, do some other stuff, dps kill mob, thunderclap for the first time, then everything has rend.

4) My Party/Raid Unit frames often don't update when someone reconnects from a DC or we replace a player. Sometimes the new player's unit frame won't appear in the party/raid control. Sometimes they will remain "offline" even after they connect. Other times they DC but the unit frame shows them as still connected.

5) Certain abilities auto-target when you dont want them to. Some abilities auto-switch targets for some reason, and it's not always the same ones. Targeting itself seems to be broken, since I might find myself, in the middle of a fight, targeting something in the distance, a dead mob, or something behind me.

For these reasons and more, I have targeting commands macro'd to every ability. Some abilities have to have commands to STAY on target. Others have to have commands which intelligently switch to the nearest target, or my ally's target, or any number of crap that should function normally.
Edited by Monreale on 7/13/2011 9:17 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Mage
Would be nice to see a client-side targeting (player adjustable) priority queue. You could set the order of your tab targetting.

e.g.
1. (damaged targets below 50% health)
2. (damaged targets above 50% health)
3. (all living targets) or.. (all living targets within 10 yards) or.. (all living targets within 20 yards)
4. (corpses)
5. (npcs)

You could sort the list depending on your needs and the priority you as a player want it to follow. If someone never wanted to have tab target a corpse or npc they could remove it from the queue.

Instead of only conditions you could also toss raid marks into the list as well:

As a mage you could have:
1. Moon (sheep)
2. Skull
3. Cross
4. Circle (or however your particular marking order normall goes)
5. (all living targets)
Edited by Opheron on 7/13/2011 9:23 AM PDT
32 Goblin Shaman
07/12/2011 07:53 PMPosted by Zarhym
The issue specifically with targeting dead targets will require a client-side patch to address.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14 Orc Hunter
In fact, I never once auto-targeted a new mob on my hunter. I always laughed at the other hunters in my guild when they pulled something and said it was the bug's fault. No, it's not the bug. You're just not paying enough attention.

No. It did happen. Not often because I DO pay attention. "Yeah, sorry, that mob had over half health, I was just casting a cobra to regen, guess everybody jumped on at once and blew it up cause all of a sudden there flies an auto into that random pack." I also know it didn't seem to manifest equally to all hunters. I don't know if it was affected by latency or what.. but I DO know was that another hunter in my guild thought the same as you for a while, until for whatever reason it all of a sudden started affecting him as well. I can say it was good to see him apologize to me in front of the whole guild.
07/12/2011 06:34 PMPosted by Ashelía
Sometimes you don't even have to use tab. When I'm tanking and use Hammer of the Righteous, it'll target a dead mob. No Tab involved.

Or a mob out of range, I've had the stupid thing target mobs that were on the level above or below me when I had a target pounding on me standing in face and I've had to cycle through 6-10 corpses and out of range targets in order to get the one standing on my head!! Even more fun is when it targets things across the room and a shield throw suddenly pulls a whole new group of mobs. Yeah, this needs to be FIXED.
90 Human Death Knight
Maybe I'm playing a different game than the rest of you... But these bugs (both the hunter bug that was fixed and this new one) don't happen to me nearly as often as you all describe. No, that doesn't make me less annoyed when it happens but they do seem to happen a lot less often than "90% of the time" as I see a lot of you saying.

The fact that you have not experienced a bug in no way means that bug doesn't exist, nor does the fact that you have not experienced the bug as frequently as others mean others do not experience it at a higher rate. I get this bug probably every other mob when I chain target mobs for dailies. That proves only that I get it more often than you, and vice versa. I assure you this bug is not, at least in incidence, being overblown.

The "target-dead-mobs-because-World-of-Warcraft-likes-to" bug does happen, though. While it causes momentary confusion and quite a bit of annoyance, it's not as "game breaking" during most pulls as some people are making it out to be. If DPS are so close to your threat that you lose it in 2-3 seconds of having to retarget, they're either not paying enough attention to their own threat or yours isn't very good to begin with (obviously, that's a little situational - if you aren't expertise or hitcapped that might just be bad RNG - it happens).

To those saying that DPS randomly targeting other mobs and pulling them being "not as bad" as a tank randomly targeting dead mobs right in front of them; As long as it's trash, that spell you're trying to interrupt or that DPS that just pulled one mob off you shouldn't wipe you with competent players. A new and fresh set of baddies that're trying to beat the group's face with whatever stick they have in their hand is probably going to put more stress on everyone.

Clearly, any bug that is only significantly detrimental to bad players should be left in.
As above, there are people for whom this is a FREQUENT occurance and incredible annoyance. Is it gamebreaking? Perhaps not. is it annoying and at times noticeably detrimental? Most definitely. It's still a bug, and it should still be fixed.

07/13/2011 07:58 AMPosted by Wailonme
But the targeting system is at the very core of the engine; any fix to that is going to be extremely delicate surgery to avoid creating even greater problems.

I would love to know what the hell they were messing around with at the very core of the engine to do this in the first place. Especially if it's multiple independant targeting issues.

It should be fixed, and it should have been fixed already. I understand WoW is a complex engine, but the targeting system hasn't changed hardly at all. If it isn't fixed soon I would be incredibly skeptical about where WoW is putting its programming resources.
14 Orc Hunter
Would be nice to see a client-side targeting (player adjustable) priority queue. You could set the order of your tab targetting.

e.g.
1. (damaged targets below 50% health)
2. (damaged targets above 50% health)
3. (all living targets) or.. (all living targets within 10 yards) or.. (all living targets within 20 yards)
4. (corpses)
5. (npcs)

You could sort the list depending on your needs and the priority you as a player want it to follow. If someone never wanted to have tab target a corpse or npc they could remove it from the queue.

Instead of only conditions you could also toss raid marks into the list as well:

As a mage you could have:
1. Moon (sheep)
2. Skull
3. Cross
4. Circle (or however your particular marking order normall goes)
5. (all living targets)

I really, REALLY like this idea. I've wanted for a long time to be able to use raid markers like this especially.
/signed
Edited by Garol on 7/13/2011 9:41 AM PDT
90 Human Paladin
07/13/2011 12:54 AMPosted by Stèìnèr
The issue specifically with targeting dead targets will require a client-side patch to address.
this is a quote of a blue post.

So what is the problem?

Did we not all get a fancy new downloader, that runs in the background and lets us play at the same time?

I fail to see how this is even the slightest bit of an inconvenience.

edit: also as dps this makes f-assisting the tank almost impossible, something that few people are mentioning.
Edited by Rowly on 7/13/2011 9:47 AM PDT
70 Blood Elf Mage
07/12/2011 08:28 PMPosted by Zinky
This argument falls flat when you consider this company and this game has more resources available to them than any MMO in history....yet the game itself is no bigger than the avg mmo. It's just got more customers. What's happened here is what has happened in any MMO that is in it's elder years and is completely expected. They've moved all but a skeleton crew to work on a new project that is there for little more than to keep the games "heart" beating.

Yep and anyone who played Warhammer online can attest to this. I see some of the same things happening with this game as war.
83 Night Elf Hunter
Our programmers and QA analysts are working on this. There are actually a few unique targeting issues which are all documented and being investigated independently, as they're technically unrelated.

If it was a bug that somehow benefited players it'd have been hotfixed immediately yet here we are 3 weeks later without a word on an ETA for a fix for it.

It has very little to do with bug priorities, or our willingness to fix what you think we think isn't a big deal. Each bug entered into the system is a unique case and requires any number of verification methods. The process for properly identifying and addressing a bug is no more or less important depending on the type/severity of the bug.

It's also worth keeping in mind that some bugs can be addressed via a hotfix fairly easily, while others cannot be fixed without releasing a client patch. And no matter how minor the patch, building and releasing it globally is still a major logistical undertaking.

Spoken like a true politician, if/when your gig at Blizzard runs out you have a future in the political arena; saying a lot without actually saying anything.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]