Mumble vs Teamspeak vs Ventrilo

100 Tauren Druid
Hoping the 4 or 5 people who still visit these forums might have an opinion. Anybody have an opinion on which VOIP client is the best?

Things to consider:
- hosting cost
- quality
- number of users

Thanks.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Ventrilo hands down compared to teamspeak. Ive paid for 3 servers for vent all from typefrag, cost wise was good, uptime was 100%.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
1.) Vent
2.) Mumble
3.) Teamspeak

Would be what I'd go with, however if you guys already have 1 of these going. Maybe a different 1, to those they don't have your basic set-up. Unless your thinking of making a privite 1 then this is the way I'd rate the list. Hope it helps! Mnt.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Wait I have been using ingame chat this whole time....

But seriously I think vents latency is really high.(Chat can be delayed by a large margin at times.) Actually I think vent is crap all around....

Mumble is great but a little more difficult to set up. Instead of passwords you have certificates which leads to even more security via chat channels. Meaning you can lock people out of raid chat or officer chat. There is not really a PTT button more like a on and off button which can lead to some fun in voice chat. The best part of mumble is the amazingly low latency and almost instant voice chat. Only downside is most pugs and most people use vent. Also mumble has auto normalization

My guild uses Vent now it works fine for what it is supposed to do. But I have tried vent in some PC fps and vents lag has time and time again costs us matches. After switching to mumble I started to wonder why I ever used vent in teh first place.

So:

1. Mumble
2. Vent
3. Teamspeak(never used it)

Good link if you have not already looked at it

https://mmo-mumble.com/help/ComparisonChart
Edited by Morane on 7/14/2011 7:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Thanks for the info!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Super late reply but theres also Dolby Axon to consider. Yep, just made it harder yo
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Vent seems to the standard in wow.

Mumble is starting to get popular in some of the top 200 guilds with its lower cost (open source) + low latency. Mumble server setup is beyond the avg computer user. The client setup is similar to vent. The built in voice normalization is nice as well vs vent takes additional setup.
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
Been with Ventrillo on a Typefrag server for almost three years no complaints about my service at all. I just think Vent sounds like crap compared to the others. Tried Mumble and I didnt like it at all. Teamspeak I loved and I may switch the guild to it soon. The main problem is Ventrillo is so standard that you would have to explain TS3 to the folks or wait for them to download to get in a raid or anything else.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
To be honest I'm using Teamspeak right now and have been thinking of switching due to what everyone else might be using. Some suggest Mumble but idk yet.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Ventrilo is the most common. I think mumble is slightly better, but you will run into folks who struggle downloading and setting it up because it very different from ventrilo. I don't like teamspeak.

I've seen some PuG raids touting RaidCall which is supposedly 100% free. I can't vouch for it because I haven't tried it myself, but I thought it worth mentioning.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
http://i.imgur.com/7SqiDT4.jpg
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Also mumble isn't all that different from vent, and is about 5 times better quality.

If someone can't set up mumble, you probably don't want them in your raid anyways.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
yeah, quite the necro post. However, since all of the voice-chat programs are still around and being used... no harm done.

If someone can't set up mumble, you probably don't want them in your raid anyways.
non sequitur. Even if the 2 were remotely related...
"struggle with setting it up" != "can't set it up"

teamspeak and ventrilo are just easier to set up than mumble. I agree that mumble is better than both once everything is set up.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
It's really almost no different than vent in connecting to the server. The only thing that is different is when you are prompted for the password, which confuses people and they end up putting the password in the username field because apparently they think "username" means "password".

They're related in that they both involve having a >50 IQ and using basic problem solving skills.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
It's really almost no different than vent in connecting to the server. The only thing that is different is when you are prompted for the password, which confuses people and they end up putting the password in the username field because apparently they think "username" means "password".

They're related in that they both involve having a >50 IQ and using basic problem solving skills.
Someone who asserts such intellectual superiority over others should demonstrate better reading comprehension. Downloading, installing, and setup are what I've been talking about as the difference between mumble and ventrilo. Once you have all 3 installed and properly set up, the only difference is in the quality of the communication, and that prize goes to mumble.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I still like Skype. We were having issues with Ventrilo last night, but I'm sure it was due to temporary server issues; it usually works fine.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
08/25/2013 07:17 AMPosted by Triv
I still like Skype.

Ding Ding Ding! Winner.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I have a bias against skype. I tried it back in 2004 for phone communication overseas and had a horrible experience. I realize that times have changed... still... can't bring myself to try it again. I fully admit the irrationality of this bias, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I have a bias against skype. I tried it back in 2004 for phone communication overseas and had a horrible experience. I realize that times have changed... still... can't bring myself to try it again. I fully admit the irrationality of this bias, lol.

I don't know what Skype was like back then but it's really good now and doesn't require a keybind to talk.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]