Back in the day...

85 Human Paladin
What was it like in Classic and Burning Crusade? I mean, was the server raiding more? Was there any world PVP? What was the top guilds? Was Horde always more numerous than Alliance?

Just wondering...
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Most everyone left the server when it switched from PvP to PvE about 18 months ago. I've only been here that long (no Vanilla or BC for me). Top alliance guilds then were: Kings of Battle, Flea Circus, EA, and IOP (not in any order and all but KoB are still around). Of course, there were a a lot of guilds that popped up and were successful for a week or two then disbanded.

The only World PvP was Crossroads, rolf. No seriously, /trade was full of invites to "Raid" Crossroads. Most serious players did WG and sides were pretty much even.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
The server launched in late 2006, so not much was happening here during Vanilla... ;P

But during BC, when it was a PVP server....

It was a small server even then (probably even smaller than it is now) and everyone knew everyone else--because there were no such things as random dungeon finders and a server transfer came with a 3-month cooldown. So you learned pretty quickly who was worth taking to Shattered Halls and who wasn't.

World PVP was not common, but when it happened it felt like it had this legendary quality to it-- mostly because you probably knew the person who you were fighting, because of the small size of the community. And because back then you couldn't have an Alliance toon on the same account as a Horde toon on a PVP server, the only place for the two factions to meet and trash talk and BS each other about their pvp exploits was right here on the forums.

Darrowmere had one of the most active server pages of any server in the U.S., precisely BECAUSE everyone knew everyone else. There were some amazingly epic threads on the forums that would spill over into trade chat, and vice versa. Ask a really old timer on D-town to tell you about what happened to an Illidan guild called <dont suck> aka <Lemon Pirates> when they transferred to Darrowmere and started acting like they owned the place. It's a great story.

Oh yeah, and Horde outnumbered Alliance 4 to 1, and only one guild managed to kill Kil'jaedin before Wrath (but not before the pre-Wrath nerfs to Sunwell in October 2008). There were about 5 semi-serious raiding guilds on the server Horde side but not much on the Alliance side; so the Allies made up for it by having some of the best PVPers on the battlegroup. Ask an old timer to tell you about the legendary Etherimp vs. Wildcaster fights (the fights in world PVP really paled in comparison to the epic trash talking that their rivalry spawned on the forums). It's another great story.

I'd love to see a server like D-town regain the community spirit that it used to have, but sadly I don't think it will ever happen. It turns out that the all the things that made playing WoW inconvenient--having to spam trade chat for heroics groups, having a 3-month cooldown on server transfers, being unable to talk to the other faction, having only a few raiding guilds to choose from--were also the things that forced people here to build a tight-knit community that was worth logging on for.

Viva la Darrowmere-- the worst in population, the worst in progression... and still the best damn server I ever played on.
Edited by Merytneith on 7/18/2011 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I was on Darrowmere from Vanilla till the end of PvP....

The Horde always outnumbered the Alliance, there were a new good PVE guilds in BC and early WoLK, in particular Afterlife and a few others.

We were never the best server, but we weren't the worst.

Marvis and Varna were two alliance that made a point to gank you every second they could.

Otherwise, it was always a nice, small, close knit server. I'm sorry to see it go.

SMASHSAUCE FTW.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I have no idea why I decided to check these forums today, as I haven't in months, but I'm glad I did. Mery summed it up well (no surprise there, her writing skills are impeccable).

Darrowmere wasn't about progression or pvp, it was about the community. Logging in, joining a dungeon finder or a bg queue, then logging out has dulled that community spirit which once thrived here even among its sparse population.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
The server launched in late 2006, so not much was happening here during Vanilla... ;P

But during BC, when it was a PVP server....

It was a small server even then (probably even smaller than it is now) and everyone knew everyone else--because there were no such things as random dungeon finders and a server transfer came with a 3-month cooldown. So you learned pretty quickly who was worth taking to Shattered Halls and who wasn't.

World PVP was not common, but when it happened it felt like it had this legendary quality to it-- mostly because you probably knew the person who you were fighting, because of the small size of the community. And because back then you couldn't have an Alliance toon on the same account as a Horde toon on a PVP server, the only place for the two factions to meet and trash talk and BS each other about their pvp exploits was right here on the forums.

Darrowmere had one of the most active server pages of any server in the U.S., precisely BECAUSE everyone knew everyone else. There were some amazingly epic threads on the forums that would spill over into trade chat, and vice versa. Ask a really old timer on D-town to tell you about what happened to an Illidan guild called <dont suck> aka <Lemon Pirates> when they transferred to Darrowmere and started acting like they owned the place. It's a great story.

Oh yeah, and Horde outnumbered Alliance 4 to 1, and only one guild managed to kill Kil'jaedin before Wrath (but not before the pre-Wrath nerfs to Sunwell in October 2008). There were about 5 semi-serious raiding guilds on the server Horde side but not much on the Alliance side; so the Allies made up for it by having some of the best PVPers on the battlegroup. Ask an old timer to tell you about the legendary Etherimp vs. Wildcaster fights (the fights in world PVP really paled in comparison to the epic trash talking that their rivalry spawned on the forums). It's another great story.

I'd love to see a server like D-town regain the community spirit that it used to have, but sadly I don't think it will ever happen. It turns out that the all the things that made playing WoW inconvenient--having to spam trade chat for heroics groups, having a 3-month cooldown on server transfers, being unable to talk to the other faction, having only a few raiding guilds to choose from--were also the things that forced people here to build a tight-knit community that was worth logging on for.

Viva la Darrowmere-- the worst in population, the worst in progression... and still the best damn server I ever played on.

i hope everything is well with you. long time no chit-chat. i will have to do my part to remedy that.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I was on Darrowmere from Vanilla till the end of PvP....

The Horde always outnumbered the Alliance, there were a new good PVE guilds in BC and early WoLK, in particular Afterlife and a few others.

We were never the best server, but we weren't the worst.

Marvis and Varna were two alliance that made a point to gank you every second they could.

Otherwise, it was always a nice, small, close knit server. I'm sorry to see it go.

SMASHSAUCE FTW.

Varna was awesome to have in guild. he rarely spoke at all, unless someone mentioned leaving a horde go free. many times we didnt want to scrap with horde (Hello Mery's crew outside of SSC) so that we could get on with the raid.

these were basically the only times Varna spoke. he would interject with something like - kill all of those Horde scum.

ps - many times when i would log in, Varna would tell me Mery was the only horde he wouldnt mess with.

all in all - the server was terrible with progression, but it was a trillion and thirty times better than whatever game we are currently playing.
Edited by Recognize on 7/27/2011 7:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I believe Smashsauce faction transfered and is alliance on Malorne.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Ive been here forever, best server
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Warrior
This toon started here on day 1. Got to 70 here. I was known as Boomboom back then.

Revenge being arrogant pricks. Ironforge being safer for the Horde than it was for the Alliance. Revival being the best guild ever. Honor Hold being safer for the Horde. I miss this place, but the population just collapsed too far.

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
oh what a sad day when varna and mavris moved to alterac haha
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
@Xadefinn: Good to see you! Hope you are doing well.

@Recognize: Hi sweetie :) I'm always happy to see you!

ps - many times when i would log in, Varna would tell me Mery was the only horde he wouldnt mess with.

all in all - the server was terrible with progression, but it was a trillion and thirty times better than whatever game we are currently playing.

I earned the eternal friendship of Varna the day that Kelz and I were helping a poorly-geared, solitary newbie Alliance dude with a difficult 3-man quest in Netherstorm. Varna flew over, spotted us and ganked us dead in the middle of the quest. It was only afterward that he realized what we had been doing when the poor newbie dude started yelling at him not to kill his helpers, LOL.

I remember coming on the forums later and saying to Varna--look, I don't care about getting ganked, but can you at least tell me whether the newbie dude got his quest completed?? Varna replied that as soon as he realized what he'd done he felt bad and so he made sure the newbie guy got the quest done. Varna used to drive the Horde to frothing fits of rage with his ganking skills, but he never fired a shot in anger my way after that. :) He had a keen sense of justice.

I miss him, he was an awesome dude.

And Spiteful: well-said about that game being a trillion and thirty times better than the one we're playing.
Edited by Merytneith on 8/6/2011 12:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
He had a keen sense of justice.

WAIT, WHAT?!

JUSTICE!!!
Reply Quote
Mery... this is Komics (paladin) from Afterlife... idk if u still rember me but man ur post almost made me cry... i srsly started playing WoW again like a few weeks ago in hopes of trying to have that same experience i had in darromwere during BC.. I would honestly give anything to re-live those years again. Darrowmere was the best gaming experience i ever had in my entire life. and i wish i could talk to all my buddies in Afterlife again, i srsly miss all of them so much! i hope everything good with u mery <3
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Darrowmere is incredibly disappointing now btw
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
11/13/2011 09:15 PMPosted by Mikethedruid
Darrowmere is incredibly disappointing now btw

QFT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Hi guys
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]