How to make macros?

(Locked)

100 Blood Elf Warlock
Ok, so I rolled a Warlock, they sounded fun and looked cool, so far im really liking it. I enjoy having so many diferent spells for so many different situations, but im gaining abilities far to quickly, or at least more quickly then i am used to. My actionbars are getting clogged, and I see to solutions. I want to make a macro that has all my DoTs on it, but I am clueless of how to make macros do anything other than make me say things.

Can you guys tell me how to make macros that have multiple abilities on them? My other question is can I keybind the spells I have on the optional action bars, you know the ones that are transparent, you turn on in the interface thing, and are above the default action bar. If so can someone tell me how?

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it.
PS. I am really lvl 14, the forum is slow at updating or something lol.
1. /castsequence spell, spell, spell

This allows you to cast a sequential set of spells by hitting the same key.

2. This is under MultiActionBar Bindings heading in the keybind list.
85 Night Elf Druid
You won't be able to put a lot of abilities into a macro. They're not meant or able to be "I W.I.N." buttons. You can use a castsequence, use conditions, and do lots of things with them to combine spells/abilities. Check out the macro stickypost at the top of this forum for ideas.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Thanks Rokuro, this is awesome, now I freed up 3 slots on the actionbar. As you can tell, I am obviously not good at remembering like 12 different buttons, so this really helps. While I'm here, are there any good macros for a warlock to make while lvling. What I've been doing is putting my DoTs on and then spamming shadow bolt, and this has been working very well. Should I be doing anything else?
100 Blood Elf Warlock
07/17/2011 09:43 PMPosted by Icedragon
You won't be able to put a lot of abilities into a macro. They're not meant or able to be "I W.I.N." buttons.

I didn't want an I win button. I'm just overwhelmed by the number of spells the warlock has been getting that I actually need to use, unlike my pally which had like 4 spells I used for leveling. This way I'm not getting a headache by trying to keep track of the 10-15 spells I can use.
80 Orc Hunter
http://www.wowpedia.org/Useful_macros_for_warlocks
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Sorry I keep asking more questions, but is there a way to make it so that I can press a bitton to make my pet attack, instead of clicking. I know this makes me sound lazy, but it really gets annoying to click the small attack button on my pet bar and then press the buttons. Thanks alot guys, your answers have been very quick and very helpful.
/petattack in a macro would work. You can add it to your DoTs if you wish.

Also, your pet has its own skill bar, and that bar can be assigned keys like the player bars. I'm not sure if it's the default, but I found my pet's attack command was bound to Control+1.
- World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
For my pet, I rebound the pet attack command to the T key (I think by default, it's Ctrl-T or something, can't remember now). You can open the game menu, choose Key Bindings, and check to see what Pet Attack is bound to. You can then use the default binding or change it to something else. :)
Edited by Cerylia on 7/17/2011 10:25 PM PDT
100 Troll Hunter
Option 1: The pet bar is already bound to Ctrl-1 through Ctrl-0 by default, so petattack is on Ctrl-1 already. If you don't like those keys you can rebind them in Options->Key Bindings.

Option 2: If your pet is using "Assist" behavior (Ctrl-8), it will attack whatever you're attacking.

Option 3: You can add "/petattack" (on its own line, of course) to any of your macros, or a macro by itself, and put that macro anywhere on your action bars.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Thank you guys so much, this is very, very helpful. Just wondering, on the link that Nok gave me, it has a heal voidwalker macro that says if in combat it will cast health funnel and if out of combat it will cast consume shadows. This is supposed to be a pet ability, yet my voidwalker only has the option to attack and follow, no abilitys. Is there a certain level I have to be to get pet abilitys?
85 Night Elf Druid
07/17/2011 10:31 PMPosted by Maronys
Thank you guys so much, this is very, very helpful. Just wondering, on the link that Nok gave me, it has a heal voidwalker macro that says if in combat it will cast health funnel and if out of combat it will cast consume shadows. This is supposed to be a pet ability, yet my voidwalker only has the option to attack and follow, no abilitys. Is there a certain level I have to be to get pet abilitys?

You learn Health Funnel at level 12, so you should have it already. The Consume Shadows is a VW-specific spell that your demon learns at level 56, but it's not a bad thing to have it in a macro so you don't have to add it later.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Thank you guys, this makes things so much easier. I now have a macro to summon my pet with no cast time, put up my dots, and give me back my mana while healing me in combat. Macros are so cool. :) I have run across a problem that leads me to yet another question, sorry guys.

Is there a way to make it so that after my mob dies, the macro resets. For example, I want to cast my dots with one macro, then with another cast life tap, then drain life, then shadow bolt.

Here is what it looks like. Macros 1 "DoTs": /castsequence Bane of Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction
Macro 2 "Grind" /castsequence Life Tap, Drain Life, Shadow Bolt

What I want it to do is if I use my dots and then kill the mob before I finish my grind macro, the next time I press the button I will use shadow bolt or drain life instead of starting off with life tap again. Is there a way around this, like a reset macro command?
85 Tauren Paladin
Here is what it looks like. Macros 1 "DoTs": /castsequence Bane of Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction
Macro 2 "Grind" /castsequence Life Tap, Drain Life, Shadow Bolt

What I want it to do is if I use my dots and then kill the mob before I finish my grind macro, the next time I press the button I will use shadow bolt or drain life instead of starting off with life tap again. Is there a way around this, like a reset macro command?

Don't quite understand what you're after, so gonna take a shot in the dark.

Try
/castsequence reset=target ...,...,...
or
/castsequence reset=mod ...,...,...
Some helpful links:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Making_a_macro
http://www.wowpedia.org/MACRO_castsequence
http://www.macroexplain.com/
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Ok, this should be it, and Raktogrind, you got it right, that is just what I was looking for. Thank you guys for all of your help. :)
I usually have my castsequence macros reset on a number of conditions. For example, I often have something like
/castsequence reset=target/30/combat yayspellshere

This resets the sequence whenever you change target, or after 30 seconds, or after you leave combat.

I do like using the castsequence, but be wary of its limitations in combat. Consider the scenario where you have a castsequence list like Curse of Elements, Corruption, Bane of Agony. This is great for when I want to put those three things on a target. Three keypresses, cursed and DoT-ed foe.

But what if I want to use Curse of Tongues on that pesky spellcaster instead? I'd have to start the cast sequence above with CoE, then cast Curse of Tongues, then go back to the castsequence to apply DoTs.

The castsequence would also have problems if I wanted to reapply Bane of Agony on something -- without having to go through two other GCDs to get to the spell I want.

So more often I find that a modifier key macro is something I prefer.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I tried to do the modifier thing but it doesnt work. here is what the macro looks like.
/cast [nomod] Life Tap
/cast [mod:alt] Drain Life

when I press the alt button the picture of the macro changes to the Drain Life picture but it will not allow me to use it. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Do you have an enemy targeted?
100 Blood Elf Warlock
yes, even if I target an enemy it doesnt work
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]