Actions for Recent Realm Disruptions

(Locked)

90 Goblin Rogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-CVMoRORo8&feature=feedu

This again right here is proof!! And for all you who say don't believe all you hear, maybe you should take that advice for yourself.

There was no mention of anything like "Hey guys maybe we shouldn't be doing this", or anything to quell the situation. yet the incident happened not once, but three times.

this isn't how it works, you have to prove his guilt, not he's guilty till proven innocent, you're basically asking us to prove his innocence for which i can simply reply "the judge has already reached a decision"
90 Goblin Rogue
07/19/2011 06:37 PMPosted by Azakzul
Um you only copypasta the section that helps you make a point by pointing out some of the TYPES of DDOS attacks and not the definition of a DDoS Attack, here lemme help you wipe some mud off:

A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users

A DoS attack can be perpetrated in a number of ways. The five basic types of attack are:[citation needed]

Consumption of computational resources, such as bandwidth, disk space, or processor time.
Disruption of configuration information, such as routing information.
Disruption of state information, such as unsolicited resetting of TCP sessions.
Disruption of physical network components.
Obstructing the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.

yes?...and??...

by your definition, they did not do any such thing
58 Gnome Death Knight
07/19/2011 06:37 PMPosted by Azakzul
Um you only copypasta the section that helps you make a point by pointing out some of the TYPES of DDOS attacks and not the definition of a DDoS Attack, here lemme help you wipe some mud off:

A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users

A DoS attack can be perpetrated in a number of ways. The five basic types of attack are:[citation needed]

Consumption of computational resources, such as bandwidth, disk space, or processor time.
Obstructing the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.

yes?...and??...

Ugh...
A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to carry out, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted efforts of person or persons to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely.

WoW accounts are the service, the WoW server is the resource.
90 Goblin Rogue
07/19/2011 06:43 PMPosted by Icebang

yes?...and??...

Ugh...
A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to carry out, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted efforts of person or persons to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely.

this implys intent, the livestream wasn't about crashing servers, it isn't a ddos by your own definition
85 Orc Warrior
I like how people are complaining over PR in a video game. I also like the really stupid people that relate it to politics. This thread was entertaining.
56 Troll Death Knight
Posted by Azakzul

yes?...and??...

yes they did, bringing down a server is denying someone a resource... the lack of intelligence in here is amazing.
90 Draenei Priest
07/19/2011 03:23 PMPosted by Ægìs
I'm pretty sure Blizzard un-banned him the second Athene said he was coming back! LoLs

I keep hearing references to this Athene. I'm guessing thats another unimportant e-celeb like this Swifty that I never heard of before yesterday.
85 Night Elf Hunter
07/19/2011 06:52 PMPosted by Driani
I'm pretty sure Blizzard un-banned him the second Athene said he was coming back! LoLs

I keep hearing references to this Athene. I'm guessing thats another unimportant e-celeb like this Swifty that I never heard of before yesterday.

Athene's only real claim to fame is being the first person in the world to hit 80 and 85.

Then there's the ban he got for how he hit 80.
90 Goblin Rogue
Posted by Azakzul

yes?...and??...

yes they did, bringing down a server is denying someone a resource... the lack of intelligence in here is amazing.
wrong, that is not their intent, the intended to have fun and give out prizes, by your own definition, illidown should be banned for bringing down their servers
58 Gnome Death Knight

this implys intent, the livestream wasn't about crashing servers, it isn't a ddos by your own definition

It is a DDOS according to the definition itself.
and for the past 30 years, hackers, griefers, exploiters, etc have all be doing it

"For the lulz"

(or because they could)

Im not going to go over case history of computer crime here but i think that if you look up some of the motives for these attacks and others were "just because we could".

This is evident in the idea of "criminal mischief" which is a real thing.
90 Goblin Shaman
So on this train of thought, Everyone who participated in the AQ opening event back in vanilla should get banned to right :P
90 Goblin Shaman
07/19/2011 06:56 PMPosted by Siofra

he was a guy that got caught using a bot program back when LK went live and made "Worlds 1st lvl 80" in 24 hours well they stripped him of his cheeve and lvl by resetting him back to 70

i dont think it was a bot, thought it was that he out of grouped inside an instance, which was aparently against the rules.

he out of grouped in the open world to get world first 85 on Forscience
90 Goblin Rogue

It is a DDOS according to the definition itself.
and for the past 30 years, hackers, griefers, exploiters, etc have all be doing it

"For the lulz"

(or because they could)

Im not going to go over case history of computer crime here but i think that if you look up some of the motives for these attacks and others were "just because we could".

This is evident in the idea of "criminal mischief" which is a real thing.

Yeah, I'm right, how? You're own words

was his purpose, his sole purpose, to crash the server, if yes, prove it, if not, shut up.
Edited by Xada on 7/19/2011 7:02 PM PDT
56 Troll Death Knight
The evidence is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmui6kS8-VU. quit trying to de-rail the facts. It is clearly his voice @ 1:30. malicious intent by zybac and co. was going on, and he wants to join them makes him just as guilty.
7 Gnome Rogue
Blizzard made the right choice as a business. Swifty brings alot of attention to WoW and that probably brings more players in the game then the amount that will leave because of this fiasco.
90 Dwarf Hunter
I've tried to look at this situation objectively and I'm still troubled by how the whole incident has played out from a perception standpoint. I think it could have been handled better on all sides.

Several servers were crashed whether intentionally or not and since this incident we haven't seen either an acknowledgement from Swifty and/or the guild sponsor involved and neither have we seen Razer own up to the inconvenience this caused a lot of other players. All we've seen are messages thanking their fans for their support.

I think the lesson learned here is that Blizzard needs to ask its partners not to run such contests since they affect other paying customers on those servers. Find another way to run contests without using Blizzard's servers so everyone can be happy.
90 Goblin Warlock
07/19/2011 07:01 PMPosted by Xada
was his purpose, his sole purpose, to crash the server, if yes, prove it, if not, shut up.

Swifty? oh.. sorry, thought you were him considering you are absolutely sure of his motivations...

The intention is implied simply because he is a long time player who is well aware of what happens when too many people occupy the same space in the game world... it crashes... unless he isn't a mmo player and a long time wow player, which would give him a free pass...

He promoted an event that by itself didn't crash a server... but by the time the first server crashed he should have known... since no one involved stopped after the first server crash, every subsequent participant in the event knew that such a thing could happen... and every subsequent participant who still participated can be accused of maliciously and knowingly causing the servers to crash...
Edited by Gruulok on 7/19/2011 7:08 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Warrior
what i've take from all this..is that his fans actually showed support(the means in which they did this, isn't accepptable) ,and the people who dislike swifty for whatever reason..sees a chance to destroy swifty...either way its between him and blizzard...end of story

those of you who say i will cancel my accout until he is unbanned or his ban is reinstated are childish..i'd hate to work for blizzard and have to put up with all the whiny nerds everyday..

blizzard is a company..designed to make money(oh noes God forbid) ikr?if for any reason you find blizzards games faulty or unfair in their customer support w/e..just leave..send them a note why your leaving..don't go all nerdrage on forums.its really childish and to be fair dissruptive..in other words let your money do the talking..cause thats really the only leverage you have..use it

have a nice day
God bless
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]