To all Kirin Tor veterens...

90 Undead Warlock
1) Khattab. 2005!
2) Um, I think I had an alt in Seraphic because we all knew each other from the honor grind, but never raided.
3) Both, but Horde is where the heart is.
4) One time, I raided Stormwind and ran around yelling "me love you" and blowing kisses to PvP buddies. Okay, more than one time.
5) Old old old BGs and our old BG crews. I miss playing with the same people every day and I miss fighting the same people every day. Also, when RP was super alive and well.
And this: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/hanasuicide/wow/seraphic.jpg
6+7) It's a love hate thing for me. How easy it is now is a love/hate. ("In my day we had to run until level 40 and run to Durotar and your spells didn't tell you when to use them and we had to keep soul shards" etc etc) Cross-realm dungeons are a love/hate, with how dead the server seems it would take forever or joining a non-RP guild now to get anything done, but now I have to do dungeons with morons from other servers...and I will always hate cross-realm PvP because Horde had it just fine back in the day :(
Edited by Khattab on 1/28/2012 3:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
70 Troll Hunter
I want to start a thread and see how many of you have been playing on this server since vanilla WoW. You could probably include BC if that's when you showed up. I'm more interested in knowing which of the old-school raiders (not RPers) are still around. I just want to get a feel for how some of the vets have progressed through the years, and maybe shine a spotlight on some of the long-term vets. What I would like to know is:
1) What was the name of your main toon and when did you first start playing in Kirin Tor?
2) What was your first raiding guild?
3) Alliance or Horde or both?
4) Best accomplishment in your raids in all expansions on this server (i.e. Killed Ossirian in AQ20, Killed Kil'jaeden in Sunwell 25, Thorim in Ulduar 10, etc...)
5) What was your most favorite part in all of WoW? (i.e. leveling, downing certain bosses, pwning in an 8hr Alterac Valley bg, etc...)
6) What do you like most about the new changes to WoW vs. what it was like during BC or Vanilla?
7) What don't you like about the new changes to WoW vs. what it was like during BC or Vanilla?

1) Ock Ock, Nov. 2005

2)Toxic/Blacklisted

3)Horde

4)Horde 1st or 2nd Ragnaros 40-man raid and Horde 1st Nefarian 40-man (I think this was correct?)

5)Always the raiding, and then after clearing MC or BWL, grouping up and PvPing.

6)The downscaling from 40-man raids to 25 & 10-mans.

7)The continual emphasis on rep farming; also the addition of Resilience to the game which meant more grinding to get resilience gear to be viable in PvP.
Edited by Ockock on 2/6/2012 12:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I started playing in Vanilla, quit before BC came out (right after the patch that introduced righteous fury for paladins) and resubscribed about a month ago.

1)Avvana, 2005
2)Midnight Fury
3)Alliance
4)Zul Gurub? I haven't done any raids since Vanilla, and my guild fell apart in Molten Core anyway.
5)I can't think of anything that stood out in particular, but I did greatly enjoy healing the five mans on my priest.
6)Everything. Vanilla sucked.
7)No Tauren Mill/Southshore epic battles.

Edit: Actually it's been two months now that I've been back. JEsus how time flies.
Edited by Ferrousfiber on 2/6/2012 8:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Hunter
1) <--- Started here in Jan. 2006.
2) Dark Titans, but i didn't raid that much.
3) Alliance
4) Onyxia and soon after Ragnaros (like a week before the start of TBC). I had such a funny screenshot of downing him with almost all of our raid dead.
5) world pvp and then arenas in TBC. The most fun I had in this game was pvping in vanilla and TBC.
6) I like that certain abilities have been fixed/changed for the better (such as vanish).
7) Flying mounts, for starters. WoW seemed a lot more social (within the server) in vanilla because people were forced to or wanted to interact more. If you wanted to do an instance, you usually had to ride all the way there on your 60% speed mount and most of the time see the opposing faction in large groups. I get serious nostalgia thinking about Blackrock Mountain or Tarren Mill/Southshore. This aspect applies more on the pvp servers I've played on, but still. It isn't just about the pvp part for me though. With flying mounts, the scenery is great up in the air, but it takes out the grandiose sense you got from the land when you don't have to travel on the ground. When I started on this server, I was in awe over certain features and details of the terrain. A lot of these zones happened to be hotspots for world pvp because they were areas in which Alliance+Horde converged. This game became a lot easier, and it's easy for some to lose interest in that. There isn't much we have to work toward when everything is so convenient. It was more rewarding in the long run when we had to suffer in certain parts of the game (such as always being poor or having full blues for months). I think it's favorable for some that people can gear up so easily via the Raid/Dungeon finder now, but you don't even have to see the terrain that leads up to the instance if you're being ported straight there. Also include the fact that you don't have to speak to anyone on your server about starting a group anyway.

I could go on a lot more on gear (how epics actually meant something in vanilla, for example) but I don't wanna drag it on!

http://i.imgur.com/WZWnj.jpg

(this one has Tracen in it, I noticed he posted on this thread). I wanted to share more screenshots of KT's last AV before the cross-realm BGs patch but I can't find them.

Nevermind, found some:

http://i.imgur.com/GlhMU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WdX0K.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jWpBg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FN0C5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cudi6.jpg (this one's AB. we won that because there were basically no horde present).

and here's one for Phoenixstorm: http://i.imgur.com/FdRyT.jpg
Edited by Chroz on 2/10/2012 10:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
1) Waar
2) Toxic --> Blacklisted
3) Horde
4) Horde 1st Nefarian (and raging on people who didn't raid enough of course ;)
5) Low level BGs while leveling
6) idk
7) Lack of community

http://i.imgur.com/NQ48A.jpg (Low level BGs)
http://i.imgur.com/jWfjY.jpg (Leushi --> Mixil)
http://i.imgur.com/4xBrl.jpg (Learning Ragnaros I think)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
1) Ikarus - Started about two months or so into vanilla WoW.
2) Stormwind -> Twilight Euphoria -> Decorus Decido -> From Ashes -> Midnight Fury
3) Alliance, Human Warrior
4) I bailed out and left to Proudmoore after Midnight Fury fell inward. Joined a guild on there and finished all but the last half of original Naxx. I was learning the game when I raided on Kirin Tor. Went on into BC, led a guild that went on to clear the entire content and I managed to acquire the Warglaives of Azzinoth. Cleared all of WoTLK content in the first month except for Sar(3D). Returned recently after two years away. I occasionally play my nubcake human DK on KT under my old name.
5) I use to love the the old school KT (pre-cross realm) Alterac Valleys. I met such cool people on both horde and alliance. Use to get into friendly battles with old hordies like Yoderongi. Myself and Dacero use to show up in horde towns and say hi to Khattab ;D
6) I like that every class has multiple roles that can be filled, as opposed to the earlier Vanilla where each class only had one spec that was deemed acceptable by raiding guilds and groups.
7) Cata is way too easy, easier than WoTLK (given, I never did the Lich King so I won't speak for that.) I'd say more but it's the same thing everyone else pretty much says.

Oh, and Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihihihihiih Khattab. :O (If you're reading this, haha)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaai ^-^
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
1) Raevana was my first toon. She was on another server. I started playing here shortly after BC came out. Aerreth and a priest named Aurixa were my mains here.
2) The first guild I raided with was Fable
3) Alliance
4) As far as accomplishments, finally finishing the quest for the epic pally mount. Gods, that was so much gold back then.. plus getting a group competent enough for Scholo. Then one of the best memories was the last ZA run on midnight the night Wrath was released. We were in BT at the end of BC though.
5) It was between raiding with Fable and PvP with Rufumus, Hain, and the other guys that went on to form RedZone against OTVC.
6) Easier to get groups for things I suppose. No more standing around in trade for an hour LF Tank H-MT. I also like having the option between 10 and 25 man raiding.
7) Community went to hell in a handbasket. People are ruder than they've ever been and the cross server stuff will allow it to continue almost unchecked. I also truly miss world PvP. I liked BG's before we got the player vs wall ones. Oh.. and stuff is too easy now. >.>
Edited by Aerreth on 3/4/2012 6:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
1. Adeladena, Nov 2005.
2. That Ive joined? Dark Angels during WOTLK time. Before that? Raided pre-BC while in Circle of Discord with Dark Titans.
3. Both, mainly alliance.
4. Downing Onyxia in vanilla WoW. 10man Lich king near end of WOTLK.
5. Leveling, lore, rp. Definitely the RP. Music... People when they were less hostile.
6. too many to list.
7. Don't really hate anything. I just adapt. However the upcoming MoP class changes seem to be a bit intimidating during my short time in beta.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
1. Sinseer. Troll Hunter. Spent more time in Alliance cities than Horde. 2005 I think

2. Denizens of Azeroth / Relentless Dawn

3. Mainly Alliance

4. Cthun and parts of Naxx in Vanilla. ZA timed run for War Bear and Warglaives in BC. Man, selfish side of me screamed Hell Yes! but I would have Loved to see the numbers Karsten or Shadowlock woulda pulled with those things. Heroic 25man Valk Twins in Lich.

5. My stupid noncombat pet collection. Screwing around, stealth running stuff, annoying the other faction without actually ganking. Old school engineering and just random trinkets/gear that had no meaningful effect on anything. Exploring.

Guess I can't really answer 6 and 7 just yet. Scroll of Res, haven't really dug in yet sine I left in Wrath. Don't think I'd ever bother raiding again. No need to inflict my lack of skill on anyone else ever again.
Edited by Dulanic on 4/4/2012 10:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Yay! Love me some Sinseer. But here's my bits:

1. Tseran, the Pantsless Fishing God of Kirin Tor, started here not long after the server opened, back when patch 1.9 was just coming in.

2. Piscus Inferno, now in Council of Fate since the fishies went kinda belly up *sniffle*

3. Alliance mostly, but tried horde alts. None ever stayed there, couldn't find crazy enough hordies.

4. Realm First Fisherman in Wrath. Love that. Although killing Deathwing on regular is pretty damn cool now.

5. Original AV was awesome, pre-cross realms, raiding is fun, but just hanging out with cool people.

6. I like the focus on getting EVERYONE into raids, not just the super hardcore. It's great to get everyone involved.

7. I don't like that most of the people on cross realm stuff are not all that good or nice. The anonymity factor makes for a sad Tseran.

And Dulanic, I know you are awesome, no matter what. You and Eldrileth were the rogue gods of this server. Too bad we won't see him back.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
02/07/2012 11:47 PMPosted by Chroz
and here's one for Phoenixstorm: http://i.imgur.com/FdRyT.jpg

Chroz...you just made my day! I can't believe you found a pic of us in ZA! I used to LOVE that instance, in fact I believe I leveled up from 49-55 in there. That pic reminds me of the golden days of WoW. It makes me sad to know that after all the good times I've had in this game for 5-6 years, I'm probably retiring from the game for good.

After not playing this game for a year while stationed in Afghanistan, I was eager to come back to it, even though Cataclysm had already been out for a year. Darkness Within was gracious enough to re-invite me back into the guild and let me raid with them once I hit 85. But after doing heroic DS over and over and over and over again with almost no improvement, I realized I needed another break.

It's been like 3 weeks now since I haven't played, although I was able to test the Beta for a bit (started a Monk and transferred Phoenixstorm over). So far I do have to say that I'm very disappointed with the game and the direction it's taking. It's just a repeat of every other expansion that was released. For example, as a lvl 3 or 4 monk, one of the quests involve killing monkeys. As a lvl 85 who had just finished saving the world from Deathwing and Ragnaros, one of the first quests when arriving to Pandaria is guess what......killing monkeys and porcupines. So, for now, I'm just a little frustrated for what the game is becoming...repetitive.

But TY Chroz for bringing back some good memories of WoW. I'll have to find my old HDD and see if I can find old screenshots of Vanilla to reminisce on. In the mean time, Goodbye WoW. You were great, and so were all the players I got to know really well. I just hope that you finally come out with an expansion that returns it to all its wonder and glory that it used to be, so that I might return again.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
1) Kharra Oct. 2005
2) Toxic/Blacklisted
3) Horde
4) Vanilla: Nefarian horde first, Cthun, and some Naxx40 - BC: all BT - Wotlk: all ICC 25 and most of togc 25 - Cata Heroic Hagara 25 in DS (usually the or one of the first horde guilds to do these)
5) Favorite times: In Vanilla it was fun being in the first horde guild to kill some stuff, winning guild bgs, becoming the first person on the server with a Frostwolf Howler after 99 AV losses and 1 win (because horde got tired and went to sleep after the 10ish hour games!) and the few raids on Stormwind. Then it was fun playing with the Late Night Raiders and doing arenas with them, who then became an awesome guild and let me join. Since that I've enjoyed conquering new raid bosses with LNE.
6) cross server stuff for faster going to do things
7) cross server stuff making it so you don't get to know who is on your server, show off to them, or expect much good behavior. Or as Waar put it, lack of community.
And wow, hi to all the old players I see here. It was fun either playing with you back in the day, or playing against you. :) Seraphic and Relentless Dawn you guys were scary in the bgs.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Wow, its crazy how many people I recognize from Horde AND Alliance that still play.

1) Skellington, UD priest started back in '05
2) Did few raids with Warclan Shadow Storm, then mainly Blacklisted.
3) Horde
4) Back in the middle of Wrath, our 10-man was the only Horde group to successfully kill Sartharion 3D (before the LAME-!@# zerg method was made popular, aka, we did it the hard way) Also, Glory of the Raider (before the mount was removed) and the first horde crew to reach Algalon. I played on the warlock Rùne during all that, though.
5) Definitely the BGs during vanilla wow, running into familiar faces on both sides. Running from Marcks, Mandela, Flabbs and his posse, etc. Watching Leushi/Mixel cause drama at level 19... PvP was far from perfect back then, but for some reason, it was more meaningful.
6) BC had it right, I think. It took steps to really get people the stats they needed, the heroics were appropriate and HARD, as were the raids. Gear first started looking more awesome... It required way more effort than Wrath, but, like, made more "sense" than Vanilla (strength on epic cloth? srsly?)
7) Probably the most common complaint is the most common heard: everything is too easy. BC meant spending more than one night learning and doing a raid (Black Temple took foreverrrr). In this expansion, our reborn <Antagonist> guild formed our own 10-man raid, and on the first night of raiding, cleared 5 bosses. The next week, killed Spine, then the 3rd or 4th week, killed Madness on regular mode. We raided 1 night a week. So effectively, we raided 4 nights and finished the new content (given with LFR and previous DS runs, we were better geared, but the point remains) All in all, nothing feels earned anymore :-S
Edited by Mùrderface on 5/10/2012 4:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Rogue
1) Cellestis, late 05.
2) Solamnic Knights ( Not really a 'raiding' guild... )
3) Alliance
4) This server, uh... Kara? Lol
5) RP ( mainly in Vanilla/BC ), and PvP.
6) Worgens.
7) Sense of community is gone. The social aspect of the game is too automated.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
I want to start a thread and see how many of you have been playing on this server since vanilla WoW. You could probably include BC if that's when you showed up. I'm more interested in knowing which of the old-school raiders (not RPers) are still around. I just want to get a feel for how some of the vets have progressed through the years, and maybe shine a spotlight on some of the long-term vets. What I would like to know is:
1) What was the name of your main toon and when did you first start playing in Kirin Tor?
2) What was your first raiding guild?
3) Alliance or Horde or both?
4) Best accomplishment in your raids in all expansions on this server (i.e. Killed Ossirian in AQ20, Killed Kil'jaeden in Sunwell 25, Thorim in Ulduar 10, etc...)
5) What was your most favorite part in all of WoW? (i.e. leveling, downing certain bosses, pwning in an 8hr Alterac Valley bg, etc...)
6) What do you like most about the new changes to WoW vs. what it was like during BC or Vanilla?
7) What don't you like about the new changes to WoW vs. what it was like during BC or Vanilla?

1) I started with a hunter, Elatum, sometime probably during early-mid BC. Realized that druids were ezmode, so made my druid, Easi.
2) First actual raiding guild was probably LNE, which I was not in for a long time. If you count pvp raids, <of the Vengeful Campaign> was the most memorable.
3) Horde
4) Easily, taking down the server by sending like 3 full raids to Stormwind. It was hilarious. "Our target was not the Stormwind boss, but the server itself!"
5) otVC raiding. It was mediocre at first, but as we gained members, and of course after RedZone was made, it was awesome. Best time I've ever had on WoW.
6) Not much, tbh. I miss the old days.
7) Where should I start? Cross-server everything ruined the community. Can't use rocket boots + parachute cloak with WSG flag anymore, which was just hilarious. Tree form is temporary and on cooldown, so I can't RP in Silvermoon and try to pollenate people. RP is non-existant, at least in the places I'm used to it being... It was always rare, but now I don't think I ever see anyone in Silvermoon or Brill. Idk, seems like everything's just gone downhill, which is why I rarely play anymore... I usually just reactivate my account as a glorified instant messaging client. Oh, and Worgens. Causes furry ERP.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
1) Iksleb, as soon as Draenei became available to play. I played on a pvp server before that.
2) Raiding guild list: Knights of amber, Insomniacs Anonymous, Darkness Within, Relentless Dawn, PoA.
3) Alliance.
4) Being a hand of a'dal is cool.
5) Being in RD.
6)Nothing.
7) It is way too easy. I want an elitist class again.
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Hunter
1) What was the name of your main toon and when did you first start playing in Kirin Tor? Axtarazul, December 2005
2) What was your first raiding guild? The Rainmakers
3) Alliance or Horde or both? Horde for many years, then had a taste of both sides. Now have maxed toons on either faction.
4) Best accomplishment in your raids in all expansions on this server? (i.e. Killed Ossirian in AQ20, Killed Kil'jaeden in Sunwell 25, Thorim in Ulduar 10, etc...) Definitely killing Ragnaros in Molten Core, man that fight was awesome back in the day. Seeing a group of 40 doing that was intense
5) What was your most favorite part in all of WoW? (i.e. leveling, downing certain bosses, pwning in an 8hr Alterac Valley bg, etc...) Definitely the raid encounters throughout each expansion. All the wonderful people and friends I have met so far on the server. Forming my first guild as a joke (Order of the Spider) and seeing it turn into a raid guild. Webster is still in my stable, for any that still remember the black widow :) The community was loads of fun back in the day, I would say it was a rich culture of fun and helpful players up until Wrath hit. Getting my epic ground riding for the first time back in Vanilla. Thanks for the loan Maul! Watching Oryan or Flabbersonia just wreck us back in BGs before cross realm...it was painful but a good learning experience. lol
6) What do you like most about the new changes to WoW vs. what it was like during BC or Vanilla? I like the new changes to ole azeroth, the quests flow much better. Things are a bit easier to fit into a work and life schedule, no more time wasted getting a full 40 man team together and spending many hours in raids. Dual spec. Pandaria! Death Knights. Guild vaults.
7) What don't you like about the new changes to WoW vs. what it was like during BC or Vanilla? Hands down the failing community. Lack of good old fashioned help, elitest mentalities, bigotry towards RPers on a RP SERVER. Its not cool at all. During Vanilla I would wager our awesome community against another server any day....Not so much today. I blame some of this on the game itself, alot of the features have helped to break the community feel. Addons, never cared for them even during vanilla. Dailies, such a necessary evil.
Reply Quote
75 Draenei Shaman
1) Skit, mid to late 2005 maybe
2) Vidi Draconis -> From Ashes
3) Alliance
4) to long ago for me to remeber what we accomplished
5) I loved the 40 man raids, those were fun as hell.
6) How easy it is for new and returning players to jump into the action, which is also a bad thing.
7) Same as above lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]