Let me spend my honor Blizzard

85 Dwarf Paladin
To be honest, buying the gear BEFORE hitting 85 does not make sense. It should require 85 to buy it. However, I do think that the maximum level of honor (4000) should be enough to buy 75% of a set of gear, enough for a fresh 85 to move out of the "ineffective" range and into the realm of the contender. Otherwise it takes as many as 2-3 fresh 85's just to take down one well geared Conquest geared player, if not more. You should be powerful, but you should never in PVP have a point where players of equal skill can be that skewed apart by gear differences. It just makes no sense to me.

Can you get 75% of a gear set with 4000 honor? I doubt it. I doubt it very much. What is the actual percent? Something like 15-20%? Even 50% is borderline inappropriate.

I think the 4000 honor cap should be raised, the cost of the items should be reduced, or people should be allowed to purchase level 85 items at level 80, maybe as low as level 75. It seems that it is less than ideal and something should be changed. :D
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Shaman
07/19/2011 01:14 PMPosted by Zemosalt
So there is zero incentive for doing anything that generates honor points before you hit 85. Leveling goes so fast there's no point in getting honor gear for anything lower than 85. Slash the prices by 75% and maybe, but right now, it's just for 85s. And for 85s, this is crap gear. So what again is the point of this whole system?

The prices for pre-85 honor gear are already hella cheap. And buying it means slots you can fill without having to do PvE at all, or very little, depending on what one wants to do.

And the 85 gear you can buy with honor certainly isn't crap. So how is it not crap if you could buy it before 85, but is crap when you hit 85?

You sir fail at logic ... on epic levels at that.
Reply Quote
91 Human Warlock
It's not necessarily good entertainment to go and get your butt kicked repeatedly in BGs for 150 sessions before you can begin to compete.

I would most definitely agree. Until Cataclysm players could use the honor they had accumulated while leveling and purchase gear so that when they hit 85 they could play their characters, rather than spend twice as much time as it did to level their characters getting constantly facerolled by enemy players and or monsters so that they would have the appropriate gear to 'continue' playing their characters. Between this very bassackward transition made in Cata, and the fact that before the release of 4.2 I spent two entire weeks farming Season 9 for all of my other alts only to turn around and refund any pieces that I still could with Season 10 gear I have no reason to continue throwing money at this game which only caters to the hardcores & the elitist snobs.

I cancelled my WoW subscription this last month and have no intention of renewing it until Blizzard stops brushing off players & drastically changing game & class mechanics in a game that didn't need "fixing". This game went from something fun & social to something anti-social and more worklike than gamelike. The introduction of RDF, destroyed & depersonalized the communal sense of the various game servers, and all of the nerfs, drastic class and mechanic changes did the rest. The concepts, artwork & boss fights in T11 as well as T12 are great, despite a very klunky lore storyline backing it. It's a shame too, because I would keep playing if they hadn't completely turned mechanics like this upside down & inside out. It's done everything but keep this game fun & exciting.

There are crafted items available to level-85 players which will help them substantially when first setting foot into Battlegrounds or Tol Barad. Getting a hold of this gear isn't too difficult.

The fact is that endgame progression is its own experience. Leveling is a very direct and obvious act of progression, but that changes when players hit the cap. Progression then trends much more toward itemization -- you have to participate in the endgame experience to get more powerful gear. But as I said, there is underrated entry-level crafting gear which can be very useful for helping to ease PvP-oriented players into level-85 Battlegrounds.

1 piece of this gear takes twice as long to farm as it does to farm the honor, unless you purchase the raw materials to make it from the auction house, and even a full set of 8 piece Bloodthirsty Crafted Blues won't get you above 2500 Resilience. Normal honor bgs these days pretty much require a player to be sitting on at least 3000 resilience to even stand a chance of not being 1 shot, and that's WITH healers on your own team.

Sounds like a brushoff of "This is what we the devs want so you the players can just suck it up & deal with it." to me, without flat out saying it. Yet another of many reasons why I've cancelled my subscription.

Time to fire up some Starcraft 2 until Diablo 3 comes out.
Edited by Faythé on 7/19/2011 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
If you maxed out on honor, you can get just under 20% of the gear you need at 85. If you buy main set pieces (you probably WILL for the bonuses), it's well under that, because there's no way of getting more than 2 with 4k honor.

I guess what I am wondering is why it's a mandated part of the game that you need to get pooped on in bgs for an obnoxious amount of time before you are allowed to be competitive. Are you trying to haze new players?

Like, I'm not even one of those greened out heroes. I have never been, at any point in my WoW career as a DK. I have ALWAYS gone in with at least the current level of raiding gear before I set foot in a bg, so I can at least do DAMAGE to go along with getting blown up instantly. But I mean, part of the reason I don't play alts is because I have no patience for that facet of pvp.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
OK, then why do we start earning Justice Points at 70? We can stockpile them till we have 4K; so if this really is your reasoning, why don't we get our JP/Honor wiped when we ding 85? I mean we didn't earn them doing endgame content, why should we be able to buy a few pieces of gear with them?

Just like removing VP from T11, this is another example of the complete lack of thought put into these details...

No, that's exactly the point of the design. If you enjoy doing some leveling via Battlegrounds, you're afforded the opportunity to buy up to two pieces of epic item level 371 PvP gear when you hit 85. You can then use gold and/or crafting materials to fill out just about every other slot, plus use enchantments, gems, and reforging to get your character into a competitive state for collecting additional epic Honor gear.
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Hunter
07/19/2011 01:09 PMPosted by Zarhym
My definition of a solid reason is one that makes sense. Is there any player that considers this to be a valid idea?

What Aarschott explained to you does make sense. Level-85 PvP gear is intended to be earned and awarded to level-85 players. There is too much potential to "game" the system and stockpile really powerful gear so that you're fully equipped when you hit 85, if we were to allow you to buy level-85 gear with Honor you earned below the level cap.

The same applies for PvE gear. If you want powerful endgame items, you need to earn them via playing through endgame content.

You usually post decent points, but considering that you can earn JP prior to level 85, your point makes no sense.

Please tell us the point of earning JP between the levels of 81-84.
Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Hunter
[quote]

The same applies for PvE gear. If you want powerful endgame items, you need to earn them via playing through endgame content.

Umm. wrong sir... their is enough boe gear out there now to whenever one of my alts ding 85 guess what happens... they are mostly epic'd out...
Edited by Woodenarrow on 7/19/2011 2:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Shaman

There are crafted items available to level-85 players which will help them substantially when first setting foot into Battlegrounds or Tol Barad. Getting a hold of this gear isn't too difficult.

The fact is that endgame progression is its own experience. Leveling is a very direct and obvious act of progression, but that changes when players hit the cap. Progression then trends much more toward itemization -- you have to participate in the endgame experience to get more powerful gear. But as I said, there is underrated entry-level crafting gear which can be very useful for helping to ease PvP-oriented players into level-85 Battlegrounds.

1 piece of this gear takes twice as long to farm as it does to farm the honor, unless you purchase the raw materials to make it from the auction house, and even a full set of 8 piece Bloodthirsty Crafted Blues won't get you above 2500 Resilience. Normal honor bgs these days pretty much require a player to be sitting on at least 3000 resilience to even stand a chance of not being 1 shot, and that's WITH healers on your own team.

Sounds like a brushoff of "This is what we the devs want so you the players can just suck it up & deal with it." to me, without flat out saying it. Yet another of many reasons why I've cancelled my subscription.

Time to fire up some Starcraft 2 until Diablo 3 comes out.

You are so far from being accurate it's not even funny. And one can certainly farm the mats from 80-85 to get the crafted, it's not like you can't get that done until you're 85.

As an example, the character I leveled first to 85 didn't have any honor, nor PvP gear, last Thursday. And that's when I finally started focusing on getting him geared for PvP having not played him for several months.

Granted I had about a third of the mats for the crafted 358 set, but I farmed up the mats and did PvP Thursday enough that I had 12 slots with PvP items. A couple matches on Friday and I had earned enough honor this season to get the S9 honor weapon. By mid-Saturday I had filled every slot, and then when I finished that evening I had replaced a couple of crafted pieces.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
07/19/2011 01:15 PMPosted by Tsuruyachan
The customer's opinion > Blizzard's opinion.

lol, except its not.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
07/19/2011 01:46 PMPosted by Rabel
Can you get 75% of a gear set with 4000 honor? I doubt it. I doubt it very much. What is the actual percent? Something like 15-20%? Even 50% is borderline inappropriate.

Yes, you can, as long as you don't mind some crafted gear. It doesn't take an incredible amount of time or effort, while you're leveling to 85, to also pick up enough mats/gold to buy a full set of crafted 358 PvP gear. Two rings, a neck, a back, and a full 8 piece set will give you 1977 resilience, plus a 400 2-piece set bonus. 4000 honor will buy two trinkets with 340 resilience each and a ranged with 72. That will leave you at a total of 3129 resilience. If you traded in honor for justice along the way and trade it back for honor, you can probably replace at least one of your crafted pieces with an honor piece. So you'll be left with only your weapon slots having PvE gear.

If you start doing Arenas, then you're starting out with an MMR of 0, so you'll be facing people who either are starting out themselves, or honestly, kinda suck. Conquest gear will follow soon.

So anyhow, 3129 resil in 358 crafted gear isn't going to let you take on "For the {faction}" all by yourself, but it's nothing to sneeze at either. you won't be squishy, and honestly, you'll be far better off than half the BG denizens who show up in 90% PvE's.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
07/19/2011 02:10 PMPosted by Masi
Please tell us the point of earning JP between the levels of 81-84.

The point is so that when you hit 85 you can be competitive some what without having to claw your way from the bottom without anything.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
07/19/2011 02:29 PMPosted by Anshahak
The point is so that when you hit 85 you can be competitive some what without having to claw your way from the bottom without anything.

That's what the crafted pieces do, don't they? Make it "some what" easier to stay alive.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]