WoWArmory.com Decommissioning on August 2?

(Locked)

1 Troll Rogue
According to Bashiok, WoWArmory.com will be "decommissioned" on August 2, or just under 2 weeks from today:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2872777256

My concern, naturally, is about the Auction House XML data I currently get from WoWArmory.com, and how the new Battle.net AH API hasn't yet been released or even discussed. I'm willing to be patient, but if WoWArmory.com goes down and I can't get AH results, I'll once again be a sad puppy.

Will the WoWArmory.com AH results stick around after August 2? Will the Battle.net AH API be available in some form by then? Thanks.
85 Tauren Druid
I'm also interested in wowarmory.com retirement timing.

My "new API" backend is mostly coded (and I'm pretty excited about it, Last-Modified is going to be very helpful for my site). But I'm waiting to turn it on pending available of PvP stats for characters and a couple of other things.

Web & Mobile Team
To answer your questions:

Will the WoWArmory.com AH results stick around after August 2?
- No - the entire site is being taken offline.

Will the Battle.net AH API be available in some form by then?
- Thats what we're aiming for - we are pushing very hard to have the replacements in place before the decommissioning takes effect, but we can't make any guarantees that there won't be a small outage window.

1 Troll Rogue
Understandable. Thanks very much for the response.
85 Tauren Druid
Yep, thanks for the confirmation. Time to go finish up my coding!
90 Dwarf Hunter
Will the CN and TW wowarmory sites also be shutting down then? Those are the only regions I'm still using the old armory for at the moment, because there's too much translation required on the new HTML armory for those (since there doesn't seem to be an English version available like there is at the old wowarmory). I had to do a lot of work to get the KR new armory pages to import properly when the old Korean wowarmory site stopped working.

I'd love to move to the new JSON format for everything, but I'm still waiting for the pet data to be fully fleshed out. At the moment the pet talents and family ids are not available in the JSON file as far as I can tell. I find this a bit odd as the pet data on the HTML page is in a JSON format there, but I'm guessing it was just overlooked and it will be added soon. Since my site needs to support importing of pet talents, I have to wait for that to be fixed before I can stop parsing the HTML from the new armory pages and migrate to using it for the CN and TW regions.

MVP
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
@Zeherah: It would make sense that they will also shut down, yes. The API should be going live everywhere, as far as i'm aware.
Yes, the CN and TW wowarmory sites will be taken down at that time as well. Unfortunately, we can't make any guarantees that there won't be a small outage window for services using the wowarmory sites.
90 Worgen Rogue
Pardon my obvious ignorance to the announcement and the O.P. -- But how exactly does the "Wowarmory.com" website decommision impact us as a non-developer/player? When I browse to WoWArmory.com I am sent to the Battle.net World of Warcraft Page. I guess the confusion that I am having is what is becoming unavailable? Are we not going to be able to search players, guilds, auction house, etc?
98 Human Mage
07/20/2011 02:13 PMPosted by Julricus
Pardon my obvious ignorance to the announcement and the O.P. -- But how exactly does the "Wowarmory.com" website decommision impact us as a non-developer/player? When I browse to WoWArmory.com I am sent to the Battle.net World of Warcraft Page. I guess the confusion that I am having is what is becoming unavailable? Are we not going to be able to search players, guilds, auction house, etc?

It basically doesnt affect non-developpers/players. at all. Basically, if a website (Undermine Journal, WoWProgress, GuildOx...) wants to search for players, guilds and such, they cant use the same ways players uses.
They have to use certain API, which is the same information, but in a much more "raw data" and right now the battle.net API isnt all there. So Devs still have to use the old wowarmory API.

OP's concern is that by the time wowarmory goes down, he'll be unable to access the auction house data (even if players can), and his website rely on this data. Alot.
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm still seeing "Invalid application permissions." for item API data. This concerns me as it's the core of a lot of various web apps I've put together.

Is there any ETA for item data?
1 Troll Rogue
07/21/2011 07:38 AMPosted by Verges

August 2. ;)
Web & Mobile Team
07/21/2011 07:38 AMPosted by Verges

Sorry, not yet.
88 Undead Warlock
Pardon my ignorance, but why would there be a small outage? Wouldn't it just make more sense to have the WoWArmory.com site stay online until the new site is ready for website developers? Makes sense to me, and would ease the burden on everyone around.

This is coming from someone that works as a network admin, so I don't know anything about programming. I do know about outages, and I know if it was an outage due to programming limitations my customers would be outraged.
85 Orc Warrior
Pardon my ignorance, but why would there be a small outage? Wouldn't it just make more sense to have the WoWArmory.com site stay online until the new site is ready for website developers? Makes sense to me, and would ease the burden on everyone around.

This is coming from someone that works as a network admin, so I don't know anything about programming. I do know about outages, and I know if it was an outage due to programming limitations my customers would be outraged.

There would have to be some bad pie going on if two sites couldn't both serve the same data at the same time
Even if the new APIs came up today, this still gives us just under 2 weeks to convert everything over. I would imagine some people who use the current Armory data may have a lot of converting over to do. I know my .NET LibWowArmory library will have to undergo a complete re-write, and that's a lot to ask in as little as 2 weeks.

I know I'm probably not the only one thinking this. Is there any chance that the WoWArmory.com decommission could take place a more reasonable amount of time after the APIs come up?
1 Troll Rogue
Very encouraging to see the docs for the AH API today. Hope to see it running soon. Looks good, keep it up! :)

http://blizzard.github.com/api-wow-docs/#id3683980
85 Human Paladin
This just so happens to be the same date as the Debt Ceiling.

<insert joke about the armory being on the federal payroll and not having money after the 2nd if the debt ceiling isn't raised>

07/20/2011 01:45 PMPosted by Straton
Yes, the CN and TW wowarmory sites will be taken down at that time as well. Unfortunately, we can't make any guarantees that there won't be a small outage window for services using the wowarmory sites.
Web & Mobile Team
07/22/2011 10:16 PMPosted by Archiee
This just so happens to be the same date as the Debt Ceiling.

Nah, this is just the end of the armory BETA period. *ducks*
10 Tauren Shaman
07/23/2011 03:46 PMPosted by Straton
Nah, this is just the end of the armory BETA period. *ducks*

"Why do you call this version of software «beta»? — Coz it`s beta than nothing."
Yes, that what wowarmory was :-)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]